• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

MikeMyers

H2twMoI.jpg

Most seem to like Zwei better, but I do like the OST in this one a lot.

MikeMyers

The Japanese cases are so much more aesthetically pleasing than the American ones.

That's the real reason why it didn't catch on here, I'm telling ya!

cj_iwakura

1. Dragon Force
2. Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
3. Shining The Holy Ark
4. Magic Knight Rayearth
5. Mystaria/Blazing Heroes
6. NiGHTS
7. Burning Rangers
8. Sakura Wars
9. Street Fighter Alpha 2
10. D

The Japanese cases are so much more aesthetically pleasing than the American ones.

That's the real reason why it didn't catch on here, I'm telling ya!

mjplstdzyu.gif

They're boring, bland, small & they blend into everything else that is a jewel case. NA cases are a beautiful I tell you. Jewel case, gross!

If your talking artwork, the Dragoon game covers look great compared to NA. Others not so much.
Like this cluttered mess
61GVdPAnGVL._SX425_.jpg

This looks better though
500px-Saturn_Bomberman_US_Box.jpg

4. Magic Knight Rayearth

I want to love this game but the characters you control feel like they're on ice the entire game. I can never position my character correctly, something just seems off to me.

MikeMyers

lmao.

Anyway, I know I asked this before, but how do I get Sonic in Xmas Nights?

Apparently I have to actually set the Saturn clock to December too? I always just leave it on January 1st.

D.Lo

Saturn is like the worst system for me to make a 10 of. It has like a million gems.

Street Fighter Zero 2
Sega Rally
Dodonpachi
King of Fighters 97
Real Bout Special
Sexy Parodius
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
Sengoku Blade
Radiant Silvergun
Street Fighter Zero 3

Cotton Boomerang
Puzzle Fighter 2X
Samurai Spirits Amakusa's Revenge (IV)
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
Pocket Fighter
Puzzle Fighter 2
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Saviour
In The Hunt
Panzer Dragoon II
Gradis Deluxe Pack
Chatting Parodius
Batsungun
Layer Section

D.Lo

Oops I put Puzzle Fighter there twice. Well, it did get played to death.

Actually that reminds me. If you want crappy cases, most PAL Saturn cases are a cardboard/plastic hybrid nightmare. Puzzle Fighter 2 was an exception, came in a nice clamshell.

I thought you didn't like Alpha 3?
I don't like it compared to 2. But it's still silly chaotic 'vs style' fun with beautiful graphics and presentation on the Saturn.

Massive slowdown or not, this is on my list.
I kind of like slowdown in games as long as the graphics stay solid (unlike Super R Type), it makes the scene all dramatic.

MikeMyers

Not to mention it has best girl Karin in it too.

Karin is so amazing that the Tekken staff took a break from plagiarizing Virtua Fighter so they could plagiarize Karin as one of their own characters.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Fun VF2 glitch (works in arcade&saturn versions, PC and PS2 probably)

tumblr_nx2dcb4SlH1slig2vo1_500.gif

after winning a match, mash K,G,K,G,K,G.... before the replay starts. the goal is to end on G but the timing is tricky.

let the replay start, but skip it after a few frames.

voila

tumblr_nnab0bJL3o1slig2vo1_500.gif

MikeMyers

My family were watching the Jurassic Park films and in the second one, a girl mentions playing on a Sega. Given that the film was released in 1997, I wonder if its a reference to the Saturn?

Timu

My family were watching the Jurassic Park films and in the second one, a girl mentions playing on a Sega. Given that the film was released in 1997, I wonder if its a reference to the Saturn?
Or maybe Genesis as there were Genesis games that came out in 97 and one based on the 2nd Jurassic Park movie.

MikeMyers

So I just played Panzer Dragoon, and I like the presentation of it, but the gameplay felt a bit off. It might be because I've already beaten Zwei, so playing the first one for the first time might be a bit tough for me.

Thoughts?

D.Lo

Get it on Playstation if you can
Saturn version is closer to the arcade, same slowdown. PSX removed most of the slowdown.

Apparently the Saturn version has trouble loading on out-of-region machines too though? No idea about US versions though, I have both Japanese versions.

UMGAWA

So I just played Panzer Dragoon, and I like the presentation of it, but the gameplay felt a bit off. It might be because I've already beaten Zwei, so playing the first one for the first time might be a bit tough for me.

Thoughts?

Imo, don't force yourself.

My (cliché) top 10:

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga
  2. Sega Rally
  3. Nights
  4. Daytona USA CCE
  5. Exhumed
  6. Fighters Megamix
  7. Shining Force 3
  8. Virtua Cop 2
  9. Burning Rangers
  10. Keio Flying Squadron 2 (only got to borrow this but I really enjoyed my time with it)

MikeMyers

Exhumed is known as Power Slave in the US right? Just making sure I dont exclude different version of the same game just because the title was different in another region.

StevieWhite

Just finished streaming D, in honor of Halloween. MAN, the puzzles are weirder than I remember. They aren't terribly difficult - it's usually just a matter of finding the answer somewhere in the environment. The problem is, Laura moves so slow, that any miscue costs you lots of valuable time. Finding the right way to navigate to an object in the environment can be a real exercise in frustration.

Nevertheless, it looked a lot better than I remember it (the back of the US box calls the graphics "photo-realistic," which isn't quite right, unless you've got a really bad camera). I probably hadn't played that game in about 18 years! Now that I've got about 3/4 of the puzzles figured out, I imagine I'll be able to shave a ridiculous amount of time off.

Also, the revolving room on the second disc, while frustrating, was a pretty smart way to save on disc space.

gelf

Ok I'll do a top 10.

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga
2. Virtua Fighter 2
3. Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
4. Street Fighter Alpha 2
5. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
6. Exhumed
7. Fighters Megamix
8. Sega Rally
9. Marvel Super Heroes
10. Die Hard Arcade

Very fighting game heavy and feels almost too standard a list but there it is. It's tough to order them really. Still a lot of games I need to get round to getting/playing.

Khaz

I won't vote because I think mixing RPGs and Arcade games makes no sense. You have completely different expectations when playing one or the other, and stuff like difficulty, playing time, replayability are diametrically opposed.

Tain

Console library voting is hard :(

I'm really entrenched in thinking of console libraries in terms of what exclusive/best-version games they have. Which means that a lot of the arcade game ports are thrown out of the Saturn's library. And I'm a very arcade-focused dude, so my gut reaction is not to put something like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Shining the Holy Ark or Grandia on my list.

I'll give it some thought though.

Teknoman

I'll just do stuff I know I really like so far.

1. Guardian Heroes
2. Nights into Dreams
3. Daytona USA Champion Edition
4. Fighters Megamix
5. Galactic Attack
6. Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
7. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
8. Dark Savior
9. Dragon Force
10. Megaman 8

There are way too many Saturn games I either havent played enough of yet or just have never encountered.

MikeMyers

So, I counted a tally, but saw Tain's post, so I decided that they can have the final vote.

Still, I wanna post what I have so far, if only if people can point out that I may have included the same game twice as different times:
Fighters Megamix - 51
Panzer Dragoon Saga - 50
Panzer Dragoon Zwei - 48
Nights into Dreams - 47
Virtua Fighter 2 - 38
Guardian Heroes - 34
Sega Rally Championship - 31
Daytona USA - 28
Street Fighter Alpha 2 - 27
Dragon Force - 22
Shining Force III - 19
Saturn Bomberman - 18
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge - 15
Power Slave - 14
Galactic Attack - 14
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean - 12
Shining the Holy Ark - 11
Die Hard Arcade - 10
Radiant Silvergun - 10
Fighting Vipers - 9
Dodonpachi - 8
Elevator Action Returns - 7
Outrun - 7
Dead or Alive - 7
Magic Knight Rayearth - 7
King of Fighters 97 - 7
Steep Slope Sliderd - 7
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter - 6
Legend of Oasis - 6
Silhoette Mirage - 6
Blazing Heroes - 6
Real Bout Special - 6
Burning Rangers - 6
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter - 5
Sexy Parodius - 5
Virtua Cop 2 - 5
Bubble Symphony - 4
Virtua Cop - 4
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus - 4
Dark Savior - 4
Street Fighter Collection - 3
Metal Black - 3
Sakura Wars - 3
Sengoku Blade - 3
Sonic 3D Blast - 2
Marvel Super Heroes - 2
Resident Evil - 2
Darius Gaiden - 1
Batsugun - 1
D - 1
Keio Flying Squadron - 1
Mega Man 8 - 1
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1

Were games that required the RAM add-on also sold without it? Games sans RAM are often cheaper, but I'm wondering if that just means they're incomplete.

StevieWhite

My top 10 (based purely on estimated personal playtime over the years and nothing else):

10. Dark Savior
9. Resident Evil
8. Street Fighter Collection (specifically, Super Turbo)
7. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
6. Panzer Dragoon Saga
5. Fighters Megamix
4. Steep Slope Sliderd
3. Radiant Silvergun
2. Dragon Force
1. Guardian Heroes

Top Bottom