• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

damn, anyone see Lambtron's post in the B/S/T thread? some absolute gems for this system in there, wish i had the $ for batsugun

Probably got killed by the Sammy merger then.

I miss 90's Sega.

we all do, fam
at this point in life i'm just ever so grateful we got out of them what we did

while I usually get the US version of any Saturn game, jp version of last Bronx has a second disc with great training modes

yeah, this thread actually convinced me to get more of my fighters as JP versions (better prices, lotta better manuals, pepsiman etc)

D/Enemy Zero is tempting, but I've got other expenses to deal with right now, I feel.

Besides, right now I kind of want to try getting my hands on a Stunner so I can use my CRT for light gun games other than Duck Hunt.

MikeMyers

while I usually get the US version of any Saturn game, jp version of last Bronx has a second disc with great training modes

I usually but the Japanese ones.

When Fighters Megamix arrived the ring in the middle that holds the CD properly was broken. :/ Had to put it in a different case.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
damn, anyone see Lambtron's post in the B/S/T thread? some absolute gems for this system in there, wish i had the $ for batsugun

we all do, fam
at this point in life i'm just ever so grateful we got out of them what we did

yeah, this thread actually convinced me to get more of my fighters as JP versions (better prices, lotta better manuals, pepsiman etc)
are those seriously acceptable prices for those games?! what the fuck... I thought I was out of my mind when I spent $330 on PDS, and $90 for batsugun, and both of those purchases were within the last 2 years.

Yeah I just purchased Shining Force 3 from him. Thankfully thats the last of the $100+ games that I need for that system. Everything else I want is under $60, unless everything keeps going up lol

are those seriously acceptable prices for those games?! what the fuck... I thought I was out of my mind when I spent $330 on PDS, and $90 for batsugun, and both of those purchases were within the last 2 years.

10 months ago Saturn Bomberman was averaging $120ish, now its averaging $200 and up & thats been pretty consistent. Maybe I should stop telling everyone it's the best Bomberman game evar.

Here's my current collection of Saturn games:

Alien Trilogy
Vampire Saviour (Darkstalkers 3)
Fighters Megamix
Daytona USA
Nights into Dreams (and Christmas Nights)
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sakura Wars (found cheap in a random ebay joblot with a Game Boy Advance, had no idea it was good)
Sega Rally
Sim City 2000
Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Soviet Strike
Virtua Fighter 2
Wipeout
The Story of Thor 2

I don't currently have my game boxes with me as everything is stored in a huge CD binder but here's an outdated picture a while back showing off Panzer Dragoon Saga in the collection:
hfAb3V8.jpg

i want to start getting into Saturn shmups but man are they expensive even to import. A local store has Dragon Force for just £60 which is a pretty good price but i'm not entirely sold on it yet. Any must have games i'm missing? Don't have Panzer Dragoon Zwei yet which i'll eventually fix.

MikeMyers

Maybe try some other Capcom fighters? Saturn has the best versions of the Street Fighter Alpha games, as well as the definitive versions of X-Men Vs. SF and Marvel Super Heroes Vs. SF.

IrishNinja

^great collection!

fam you don't wanna look up current prices on these things, for real

Yeah I just purchased Shining Force 3 from him. Thankfully thats the last of the $100+ games that I need for that system. Everything else I want is under $60, unless everything keeps going up lol

oh man, that's literally the one that got away, for me - missed it at like $75 twice a year and a half back, just isn't gonna happen. i imported all 3 to run with the fan transnationals! you get a good deal on it?

10 months ago Saturn Bomberman was averaging $120ish, now its averaging $200 and up & thats been pretty consistent. Maybe I should stop telling everyone it's the best Bomberman game evar.

yeah, i feel like i watched that one & Mega Man 8 both go insane around the same time

^great collection!

oh man, that's literally the one that got away, for me - missed it at like $75 twice a year and a half back, just isn't gonna happen. i imported all 3 to run with the fan transnationals! you get a good deal on it?

time

He was nice enough to lower the price a bit. I'm sure a year or 2 from now it will seem like a steal, considering how high prices are going. If it went to high I would never pick it up so that was my chance.

Khaz

SPeaking of the Stunner, how does it compare to say the Guncon on PS1? I love that thing, it's accurate af.

They're both great light guns. I have to say I have never used sub par light guns, so I have nothing to compare them to. But I never experienced drifting, inaccuracy, or whatever problem a light gun could have; these two gave me quality gaming, and both look rad.

Stunner > GunCon, but only because there is no need for an additional csync cable.

MikeMyers

I wonder if there are any local places to find cases and manuals for some of the games I have. Need it for:

-Die Hard Arcade
-Sega Rally Championship
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Virtua Fighter 2

and X-Men Vs. SF but i doubt I'd be able to get that since it was a Japanese-only release.

I wonder if there are any local places to find cases and manuals for some of the games I have. Need it for:

-Die Hard Arcade
-Sega Rally Championship
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Virtua Fighter 2

and X-Men Vs. SF but i doubt I'd be able to get that since it was a Japanese-only release.

The bottom 3 really shouldn't be a problem. Cases are easy to replace, just cannibalize Sports games. The only thing they're good for now.

IrishNinja

yeah, cases are whatever - manuals can be tricky. ive got a scan of the Shinobi Legions one i need, just waiting for someone competent to offer 3d printing services for a fair price, haha

oneida

only disc-only game I've got is burning rangers, don't think that'll change soon :p only paid $30 for the game, not gonna spend more than that for a box (esp since I don't like it)

IrishNinja

only disc-only game I've got is burning rangers, don't think that'll change soon :p only paid $30 for the game, not gonna spend more than that for a box (esp since I don't like it)

same! a gaffer sold me a disc-only version last year for less than that, ive got it in the most bootleg looking saturn case with a printed-out back cover & front one in lieu of a manual. wish i had a better back cover at least, the only scan i found wasn't really great...missed out on a complete one Mzo had last year (with a sonic team letter, no less!) that i still beat myself up over, but yeah, no way am i gonna do anything about it at these prices

MikeMyers

Like I was saying, when I got Fighters Megamix the thing that holds the CD was cracked so I had to swap it out with another Jewel disc.

LiDN9V0.jpg

The left bar being white bothers the hell out of me since they are usually black.

oneida

Like I was saying, when I got Fighters Megamix the thing that holds the CD was cracked so I had to swap it out with another Jewel disc.

LiDN9V0.jpg

The left bar being white bothers the hell out of me since they are usually black.

an aside about FM, it really seems that the models used for the CG intro for akira, wolf, lion and jeffry were used for the CG artwork that promoted VF3.

here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_1rUJfZ8g

compare against akira here:

1791108-box_vf3.png

lion is especially odd looking as he's wearing his vf3 costume

MikeMyers

Yeah, the characters have their VF3 moves too. I always thought it was some discreet way of saying "yeah, you guys arent actually gonna get VF3, so here's a constellation prize."

MikeMyers

I wonder what the tier list for Megamix is like.

I try to do Sarah's backwards, forward+punch+guard throw but sometimes it doesn't register the backwards.

Because of you I just did. Didn't realize that PDS made the jump up to over $400. Was low to mid $300s for so long.

Guess I should get them to get me some pics since I want like all the games they have listed. ( ._.)

PSX version is superior iirc

Having owned both, I can confirm this is true.

I don't believe either version has parity with the arcade release but the Saturn ver. has such frequent and uneven slowdown that it's really distracting.

Damn, that's unfortunate. I won't bother getting it on the Saturn, then.

Your loss, Saturn Metal Slug is awesome.

I'm actually kind of regretting my decision today! I may go back for it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Because of you I just did. Didn't realize that PDS made the jump up to over $400. Was low to mid $300s for so long.

Guess I should get them to get me some pics since I want like all the games they have listed. ( ._.)
I will if you want, I'm very friendly!

I hate selling this stuff for high prices, and my soul weeps at the idea of selling PDS which was my white whale FOR YEARS... but my financial situation is pretty shitty at the moment, and this is the most logical way to get through the holidays.

IrishNinja

man, do not even sweat that - this isn't reselling stuff you got off a grandma's garage sale for beans & are marking above ebay prices & shit; just the titles you've got up alone shows you got good taste & clearly don't wanna part with em. nothing wrong with asking market value on stuff, specifically when you're only letting them go to get by. do your thing.

D.Lo

Yeah I sell stuff at top dollar all the time.

The way I look at it is this: If I didn't have this right now, would I buy it for current market value? If the answer is no, I sell it. I do this with games and anything else that is resellable (I actually do it most with guitar gear).

The price I sold my childhood copies of Chrono Trigger and Vampire's Kiss for paid for dozens of other items I wanted. Like, would I rather have Chrono Trigger, or the RGB modded PC Engine Duo RX I bought with half the proceeds? Or in Saturn terms, one Batsugun, or ten other great games?

Do it. PD is one of the few RPG's I'll replay because of the length and unique battle system.

Christ, I want to play PDS so badly. But with prices the way they are, I reckon I'll have to wait for a remaster/port. Do prices on Saturn games in general tend to fluctuate? I sold my Saturn collection several years ago, and my games were worth way less money than they are now. I'm hoping things trend downward as sellers get tired of their games not selling (fingers crossed).

I bought the Japanese version of Deep Fear for a pretty low price yesterday. The game looks *just* interesting enough to be worth going through with a translation guide.

IrishNinja

^yes and no, i mean PDS was like $100-150 for what felt like forever there...it's clearly ballooning, and if you compare it to other cult RPG's with high demand/low-ish stock like earthbound, it should cap out and drop back down to...something less, i imagine? god knows what.

i'm not holding out for a port with the source code gone, though. i'll say this: having grabbed Deep Fear (JP) on the cheap like you, i feel perfectly okay burning an english disc & playing that one myself.

Khaz

i'm not holding out for a port with the source code gone, though. i'll say this: having grabbed Deep Fear (JP) on the cheap like you, i feel perfectly okay burning an english disc & playing that one myself.
Especially as burning a disc is the only way to play the game in English at 60Hz. With original copies you are stuck with either Japanese or PAL optimised slowness.

Mzo

Especially as burning a disc is the only way to play the game in English at 60Hz. With original copies you are stuck with either Japanese or PAL optimised slowness.

Yep, that's why I went with the J version. I tend to stay away from most Euro games for just that reason. Gross.

D.Lo

?

If it's PAL optimised 50Hz will be correct speed (and will actually be PAL optimised fastness if run at 60Hz), and if it's not optimised then a PAL version will run perfectly on a 60Hz machine anyway.

IrishNinja

this cannot be true
i refuse to believe the PAL copy sells for that price to people who can't play it right

UMGAWA

Heads up guys who want to try PDS, newest Pseudo Saturn version works!!!

Not sure if I can link, so search for the thread on assembeler.

Having owned both, I can confirm this is true.

I don't believe either version has parity with the arcade release but the Saturn ver. has such frequent and uneven slowdown that it's really distracting.

The arcade version has a fair bit of slowdown too, IIRC. In general the Saturn game is probably closer than most people realize, same with Metal Slug (which also had slowdown in the arcade).

Khaz

?

If it's PAL optimised 50Hz will be correct speed (and will actually be PAL optimised fastness if run at 60Hz), and if it's not optimised then a PAL version will run perfectly on a 60Hz machine anyway.

Nope, it's a stupid optimisation like most PAL-optimised games out there. The audio is played at the correct tempo and the picture fills the 576 PAL lines, but the gameplay is still slower than 60Hz. The cutscenes are still crushed.

Playing the PAL edition on a 60Hz console will cut part of the screen, but will play at the correct speed. The audio is unaffected.

The game was ready for the USA but never came out there. The prototype was dumped some time ago and it was found that the game was complete, identical to the PAL one save for the optimisations.

D.Lo

Nope, it's a stupid optimisation like most PAL-optimised games out there. The audio is played at the correct tempo and the picture fills the 576 PAL lines, but the gameplay is still slower than 60Hz. The cutscenes are still crushed.

Playing the PAL edition on a 60Hz console will cut part of the screen, but will play at the correct speed. The audio is unaffected.

The game was ready for the USA but never came out there. The prototype was dumped some time ago and it was found that the game was complete, identical to the PAL one save for the optimisations.
Heh, well there you go.

PAL only releases (or if PAL is the only release in English) can be frustrating. I'm playing Hellnight on PS1, and being PS1, it's locked at 50Hz.

Khaz

I found Sony to be the worst when it comes to this. I haven't seen any of their PAL releases being optimised, and the way the console works means you have no way to unlock 60Hz goodness out of a PAL release. If you want to play PS1 games at 60Hz, you have to buy the American release.

At least on SEGA and Nintendo consoles you could mod a switch to play your non-optimised PAL games at 60Hz, and Nintendo had many of its first-party games with optimised gameplay (whether it's good or bad depends on the person.)

Top Bottom