• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I play Virtua Cop with the controller and enjoyed it just fine. I guess HOTD would be similar?

It is. However, if you play Virtua Cop 2 you have to hold the speed button to move the cursor faster on screen. Really annoying when you have to reload. I look through the settings to see if you could just speed up the movement without the button press, but no luck.

Conezays

So I went on an Ebay spree...no regrets :p

Clockwork Knight
Saturn Bomberman
Bug!
Panzer Dragoon 1-2
Dark Savior
3 in 1-Virtua Cop, Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Sega Rally Championship
Xmen Vs. Street Fighter
Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo
Dodonpachi
Detana Twinbee Deluxe
Gokujo Parodius Deluxe

Cool games!

No-RAgrets-Tattoo-BIG.jpg

Clockwork Knight
Saturn Bomberman
Bug!
Panzer Dragoon 1-2
Dark Savior
Virtual On
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Sega Rally Championship
Xmen Vs. Street Fighter
Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo
Dodonpachi
Detana Twinbee Deluxe
Gokujo Parodius Deluxe
zkscvmgcm9o2cs8rzt.gif

(...I've been tempted to do the same ._.)

Conezays

zkscvmgcm9o2cs8rzt.gif

(...I've been tempted to do the same ._.)

Lol, granted I was not impressed glancing over my paypal account :p

All told I think I spent around $500-600 USD for the Saturn, 3D Controller, Model 2 Controller, Action Replay, and that list of games. From what I saw online, that seemed to be a decent deal (nearly all were sold as good conditon from 99.5-100 % feedback sellers).

Also, I can't completely verify how accurate this list is but seemed like a helpful guide for gauging the language barrier on imported Saturn games:

http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/5796/

IrishNinja

yeah seriously, that's a really helpful list! thanks for that!

*edit man i wish id've picked up silhouette mirage during my spending spree a while back...ah well

MikeMyers

Clockwork Knight
Saturn Bomberman
Bug!
Panzer Dragoon 1-2
Dark Savior
Virtual On
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Sega Rally Championship
Xmen Vs. Street Fighter
Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo
Dodonpachi
Detana Twinbee Deluxe
Gokujo Parodius Deluxe

Damn dude, you're like set for life.

piggychan

Really? I was only aware of the original (non-Otokuyo) version displaying corrupted text when attempting to use a North American Saturn to play it.

Well that I don't know, I do have the original souky release and it works on both my jpn white sega saturm and modded UK model 2. It's just I have heard over the years the re-release don't work properly on a white sega saturn or something similar.. just like some of the SEGA AGES games didn't load on the white sega saturn too but I have never confirmed this myself.

EDIT:

Man I haven't played this in ages it's just been sitting in a box. It's got great music and tight gameplay but the graphics are a bit ugly..

CBDBF43E-454B-421E-97CA-145B862DD312.jpg

Conezays

Damn dude, you're like set for life.

Haha, thanks. I know my brother is more excited about coming for Christmas now.

Glad the list is helpful for others; maybe it should be added to the OP for new readers/posters.

I grabbed Soukyu Gurentai Otokuo specifically as I heard that the original version had some minor issues running on NA Saturns with an Action Replay (which is what I have).

I also just picked up Radiant Silvergun for a great price off of a guy in my city. I think that's enough emptying of my bank account for now, Lol.

Conezays

So as a relatively inexperienced shmup player, my first impressions of Radiant Silvergun were incredibly positive. It's definitely very difficult, but it generally seems fair, if very chaotic. The music and pacing are absolutely fantastic; they both really add to the intensity of the gameplay. Not sure I can fathom beating this game with 1 credit, but it's an admirable goal.

Very glad to find that the game lives up to its hype, at least for me personally. How do fellow fans feel it compares to Dodonpachi or Soukyu Gurentai?

Really? I was only aware of the original (non-Otokuyo) version displaying corrupted text when attempting to use a North American Saturn to play it.
Some sega ages ports like space harrier and outrun also have issues on the white JP consoles.

For souky you can minimize the garbled text by not jumping the gun and hitting start to bypass the ship launch at the start of the game, just let it play until it's time to take control of your ship.

I have a saturn that's been sitting unused in a knapsack type bag since I last played it in 1999!

I wonder if it would even power up now.

edit: lol I meant dreamcast. duh. nevermind!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So as a relatively inexperienced shmup player, my first impressions of Radiant Silvergun were incredibly positive. It's definitely very difficult, but it generally seems fair, if very chaotic. The music and pacing are absolutely fantastic; they both really add to the intensity of the gameplay. Not sure I can fathom beating this game with 1 credit or even 1 continue, but it's an admirable goal.

Very glad to find that the game lives up to its hype, at least for me personally. How do fellow fans feel it compares to Dodonpachi or Soukyu Gurentai?
They're all very different. Personally I think RS is by a wide margin the worst of those three.

oneida

Well, I'm trying to temper my expectations, but now I'm even more excited.

What aspects of RS don't you like?
I find it a bit cumbersome to play these days, usually feel underpowered which isn't the case for the other two games you mentioned. I dislike the power up mechanics and don't find the levels or bosses very fun to play.

I think if you're just starting to get into shmups you should vary your pallette and see what there is to see. The thing about RS is in many ways it's unconventional, which is what many people like about it, but as a fan of the genre I'm naturally a fan of its conventions.

Anyway, for a great horizontal shooter, Darius Gaiden is inexpensive and one of the best games on the system. There's also a good deal of classic Konami compilations like Gradius and Salamander which give you a good idea of what the genre was like in the late 80's and they're beautiful games to boot.

For bullet hell Dodonpachi is a solid introduction as it's a very good game and it's less expensive than Batsugun which I think i prefer. This subgenre is not for everyone so it might be a good idea to try Mushihimesama which just was released on Steam first.

For more traditional vertical shooters, Layer Section aka Galactic Attack aka Raystorm is one of my favorite shmups period, beautiful art with lock on mechanics (like souky) and interesting encounters designed around them. There's also Shienryu which is inexpensive, somewhat plain but nevertheless somehow compelling. Stunning spritework on both these games.

Conezays

I find it a bit cumbersome to play these days, usually feel underpowered which isn't the case for the other two games you mentioned. I dislike the power up mechanics and don't find the levels or bosses very fun to play.

I think if you're just starting to get into shmups you should vary your pallette and see what there is to see. The thing about RS is in many ways it's unconventional, which is what many people like about it, but as a fan of the genre I'm naturally a fan of its conventions.

Anyway, for a great horizontal shooter, Darius Gaiden is inexpensive and one of the best games on the system. There's also a good deal of classic Konami compilations like Gradius and Salamander which give you a good idea of what the genre was like in the late 80's and they're beautiful games to boot.

For bullet hell Dodonpachi is a solid introduction as it's a very good game and it's less expensive than Batsugun which I think i prefer. This subgenre is not for everyone so it might be a good idea to try Mushihimesama which just was released on Steam first.

For more traditional vertical shooters, Layer Section aka Galactic Attack aka Raystorm is one of my favorite shmups period, beautiful art with lock on mechanics (like souky) and interesting encounters designed around them. There's also Shienryu which is inexpensive, somewhat plain but nevertheless somehow compelling. Stunning spritework on both these games.

Fair enough. The game definitely appears very difficult without utilising Saturn mode saves, even on easier difficulties.

As mentioned, I have Dodonpachi, Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo, Gokujo Parodius Deluxe, and Deltana Twinbee Yahho Deluxe on the way. I plan to check out the others you mentioned later on, but figured I had a pretty wide assortment to start out with. Sounds like there is still lots of great stuff to check out.

oneida

Fair enough. The game definitely appears very difficult without utilising Saturn mode saves, even on easier difficulties.

As mentioned, I have Dodonpachi, Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo, Gokujo Parodius Deluxe, and Deltana Twinbee Yahho Deluxe on the way. I plan to check out the others you mentioned later on, but figured I had a pretty wide assortment to start out with. Sounds like there is still lots of great stuff to check out.
Definitely. The Saturn is one of the best consoles for shooters!

Conezays

Definitely. The Saturn is one of the best consoles for shooters!

Any preference for specific controllers? I have the 3D one and think it feels great; got a Model 2 controller en route. The face buttons between the two look slightly different; do you find one comfier over the other?

piggychan

So as a relatively inexperienced shmup player, my first impressions of Radiant Silvergun were incredibly positive. It's definitely very difficult, but it generally seems fair, if very chaotic. The music and pacing are absolutely fantastic; they both really add to the intensity of the gameplay. Not sure I can fathom beating this game with 1 credit or even 1 continue, but it's an admirable goal.

Hopefully I am wrong about Souky it's just it's been a long time since this discussion about which version displays incorrectly so I don't remember what works well anymore.

I love R.Silvergun it's just so different from a standard shmup especially considering it takes a few hours to complete the game and it does feel like a whole afternoon has gone by when you beat it. For now just play the game your way. If you have access to xbox live and the xbl version of RS you can download players recorded playback from all around the world and you will see some truly amazing skills. Those chaining combos are jaw dropping. I just love the character designs, the music and the atmosphere of this game

Treasure games you either love them or hate them.

You should get all the parodius games, sexy and jikkyou are very good as is the salamander deluxe pack

oneida

Any preference for specific controllers? I have the 3D one and think it feels great; got a Model 2 controller en route. The face buttons between the two look slightly different; do you find one comfier over the other?
the model 2 pad is one of the greatest controllers ever made. I do like the feel of the 3D controllers buttons and d-pad, but the model 2 fits nicer in my hands.

if you're interested in a stick, this would actually be a cool option. I don't think there are any shooters on the system that need more than 3 buttons.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121805974104

Conezays

Hopefully I am wrong about Souky it's just it's been a long time since this discussion about which version displays incorrectly so I don't remember what works well anymore.

I love R.Silvergun it's just so different from a standard shmup especially considering it takes a few hours to complete the game and it does feel like a whole afternoon has gone by when you beat it. For now just play the game your way. If you have access to xbox live and the xbl version of RS you can download players recorded playback from all around the world and you will see some truly amazing skills. Those chaining combos are jaw dropping. I just love the character designs, the music and the atmosphere of this game

Treasure games you either love them or hate them.

You should get all the parodius games, sexy and jikkyou are very good as is the salamander deluxe pack

No worries. There's a ton of (mis)information online; easy to get confused or find contradictiory things said about works and what doesn't. I got the Parodius deluxe pack coming so am excited to check those out; will seek out other entries if I like it.

the model 2 pad is one of the greatest controllers ever made. I do like the feel of the 3D controllers buttons and d-pad, but the model 2 fits nicer in my hands.

if you're interested in a stick, this would actually be a cool option. I don't think there are any shooters on the system that need more than 3 buttons.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121805974104

Cool! It's interesting to hear others' likes and dislikes of controllers; from my understanding, the Model 1 is considered far worse.

That stick looks nice, albeit shipping is brutal to Canada. There's an alternate version of the fighting stick at a local store I saw. Looks absolutely massive, Lol.

http://www.hexir.com/product_images/import/sat_ctr_arcade_Sega_VirtuaStick_1.jpg

MikeMyers

Seeing this made me realize:

Generally, it seems Genesis fans liked MK and SNES fans liked SF.

Next gen it seems Saturn fans like SF and N64 liked MK.

But I guess the N64 was by default, since it didn't even have a SF game.

D.Lo

Seeing this made me realize:

Generally, it seems Genesis fans liked MK and SNES fans liked SF.

Next gen it seems Saturn fans like SF and N64 liked MK.

But I guess the N64 was by default, since it didn't even have a SF game.
Well yeah, what's an N64 owner going to buy?

I honestly think Street Fighter not having a good solid release on a platform popular in the west for ten years is one of the reasons for its downfall (the other was a massive glut of SF and related Vs games). Turbo on SNES was the last big release on a popular western platform until, arguably, 3rd Strike on PS2 in 2004. the first two Alpha games even on Saturn had pretty bad load times, and sucked on PSX, and neither system had taken off yet at that point. Alpha 3 on PSX was as good as it got, and it was still a bit crappy, and the Dreamcast did't sell too well.

The Street Fighter 4 'revival' was nothing more than finally releasing a main game on popular consoles again after 20 years. Pity it was that hideous game.

MikeMyers

Well yeah, what's an N64 owner going to buy?
Mace: The Dark Ages, lol.

N64 almost got a port of DOA1. I actually think it would have been better on there, since it wouldnt have gotten overshadowed by Namco's VF knockoff like on PSX.

I honestly think Street Fighter not having a good solid release on a platform popular in the west for ten years is one of the reasons for its downfall (the other was a massive glut of SF and related Vs games). Turbo on SNES was the last big release on a popular western platform until, arguably, 3rd Strike on PS2 in 2004. the first two Alpha games even on Saturn had pretty bad load times, and sucked on PSX, and neither system had taken off yet at that point. Alpha 3 on PSX was as good as it got, and it was still a bit crappy, and the Dreamcast did't sell too well.

The Street Fighter 4 'revival' was nothing more than finally releasing a main game on popular consoles again after 20 years. Pity it was that hideous game.

Hey man, those EX games had an awesome OST, and Skullomania!

Smash Bros.! Well, Mace and Fighter's Destiny too, but particularly SSB.

No mention of Flying Dragon?

Also, i spent 2 hours playing great Saturn imports with a couple buddies.

Bomberman Fight, the Tokimeki Memorial puzzle games, Twinkle Star Sprites, Game Paradise, and the best game of the night, Cyberbots.

Seriously though, if you ever see the Tokimeki puzzle games cheap, snatch them up.

Conezays

No mention of Flying Dragon?

Also, i spent 2 hours playing great Saturn imports with a couple buddies.

Bomberman Fight, the Tokimeki Memorial puzzle games, Twinkle Star Sprites, Game Paradise, and the best game of the night, Cyberbots.

Seriously though, if you ever see the Tokimeki puzzle games cheap, snatch them up.

How are those in terms of the language barrier for non-native speakers? The website I referenced cited Tokimeki as very difficult.

MikeMyers

VF1 was a rushed port because Sega decided to release the the Saturn 4 months earlier than planned. Remix was a more accurate port that Sega gave to US owners as an apology.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
VF1 was a rushed port because Sega decided to release the the Saturn 4 months earlier than planned. Remix was a more accurate port that Sega gave to US owners as an apology.

Ok, thanks!

I wished Remix had a hidden option to turn off the textured polygons to make it look like the arcade game.

Yeah, this sounds like a cool potential feature! Loved the iconic look of the arcade game.

Top Bottom