• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

MikeMyers

Just out of curiosity, are there any Sega Saturn games that were also released on the Nintendo 64 but not the Sony PlayStation?

I could only find Quake, which I could have sworn was on PSX.

Gyrian

more Harrier is always good - what's a good deal on Power Drift?

I've seen it well under $50 when it's missing the spine and/or registration cards. Complete for around $50.
The main problem is that it shows up less frequently than the other Sega Ages releases, and when it does it's closer to $100 (and goes unsold). Mickey and Donald has a similar problem, and can be had for a fair amount less than its typical auction price.

IrishNinja

I've seen it well under $50 when it's missing the spine and/or registration cards. Complete for around $50.
The main problem is that it shows up less frequently than the other Sega Ages releases, and when it does it's closer to $100 (and goes unsold). Mickey and Donald has a similar problem, and can be had for a fair amount less than its typical auction price.

damn...sounds about right for a lotta stuff ive watched, though. resellers in no hurry to drop the price & make a sale either, worse yet the ones taking offers don't really want offers.

i used to just watch whatever yamatokku/hit japan etc would start at a penny, and frequently bought stuff on the cheap just to justify the shipping, haha - but most sega ages stuff stayed a bit higher than i'd wanted, even then. maybe down the road!

Just out of curiosity, are there any Sega Saturn games that were also released on the Nintendo 64 but not the Sony PlayStation?

I could only find Quake, which I could have sworn was on PSX.
I'd imagine the overlap isn't too strong, seeing as the N64 didn't come out until '96, didn't really get going until '97, and the Saturn was basically dead by '98.

Quake 2 was on the N64 and PSX

Quake 1 was on the N64 and Saturn

Even if Quake 2 was ported to the Saturn, I don't think it would have run that great. Some of Quake 2's outdoor environments are pretty big.

I just meant Quake 1 didn't make it to the PSX. And there's a guy building out a Quake 2 for Jaguar that's pretty good considering the hardware, I'm sure Saturn could have handled some kind of Quake 2 port. In Lobotomy we trust.

Conezays

^BALLLLLLINNNN'
haha for real, that and Garegga are some of the expensive ones i legit think are great/fun to play, so congrats & hope you got a fair deal!

Haha, thanks. I'm looking forward to it! As others have mentioned, many of these rarer Saturn games seem like they retain (if not increase in some cases) their value over time, so it makes the price a little easier to swallow. At least, that's how I'm justifying it :p Paid $165 USD for a good CIB off a seller I've used quite a few times.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I got my copy of Vampire Hunter from Gyrian in! Can't wait to dig into it. :)
C3osORMl.jpg

Trying to find a move list beforehand but I only keep coming up with VH2.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Timu, the next time you're recording, could you record something for me? if it's a pain in the ass don't worry about it, but your captures are really terrific and I'd like to make some VF2 saturn gifs. here's what I'm looking for:
- Wolf reversing Lion's side kick (down-forward kick)
- Lion escaping Wolf's back throw
- Lion's winpose for an excellent win on the last round of any stage

if you have options+ unlocked (hit R twice on the options screen) you can skip right to Wolf's stage, basically for the side kick all you have to do is keep doing the move and eventually he'll reverse it. for the back throw, pretty much any time wolf blocks something big (like Lion's up+P or up+B on saturn) he'll throw you and most of the time he'll use back throw, to escape it just enter back+A+B after he blocks the move.

i realize this is a tall order so i won't take it personally if you're not up to it.

IrishNinja

so i was testing out my new (to me!) copy of Shining Force III last night, just to make sure it works before leaving feedback - only watched the intro & started the game, disc looks great and i didn't wanna spoil more, since im not even halfway done with SF II right now

...but man, a lot came back to me. it was really cool.

like, my older brother was atari generation; i played it a bit, but by the time i was in grade school, the NES was showing up everywhere. for years, 8bit was everything, and as a sega fan, they just killed it with the genesis (still my favorite system!)...and even during the war with the SNES, it felt like everyone was winning. the bar, of course, was the arcades, and i recall thinking we'd mostly keep on until everything looked like that, or a photo-realistic neo geo or something? haha i'm not really sure.

but the 32-bit gen's transition to 3D was huge, in a way no other gen since has been for me. tons of new experiences, but seeing familiar franchises adopted - from amazing shit like Mario 64, to not-so-much like Castlevania - was crazy exciting. changes in gameplay/pacing and the like were jarring sometimes, but jeremy parish was quite right to highlight how very not en vogue 2D was for years to come, a few exceptions aside.

so now we've kinda come full circle: 2D's cool again, and a lotta people tell me5th gen stuff is ugly somehow (i mean, sure, stretched on an LCD screen) - but after so many hours going through Shining Force CD & now part 2, just seeing a bit of the changes for the first time was really cool! i'm legit hyped to play this & Ark soon enough, and see how the series' art style & popular spells/etc transfer, nevermind hear CD audio. it kinda clicked that while part of me is beating myself up for not having gotten around to this sooner, i'm really hyped to have so much more of my next favorite sega RPG series (after Phantasy Star) to run through & see it develop.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
played saturn all day

VF2 is so good

if you had to choose between Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack, which would YOU choose?!

piggychan

so i was testing out my new (to me!) copy of Shining Force III last night, just to make sure it works before leaving feedback - only watched the intro & started the game, disc looks great and i didn't wanna spoil more, since im not even halfway done with SF II right now

BTW there are several hidden characters in Shining Force III part 1. game. One is an egg which if I recall correctly was a pain to level up but a fun character to use. the other looks like a chun li look-alike and perhaps a few more other characters to discover. Also when you beat the game you will unlock a difficulty and music test option. WATCH OUT for spells and enemy magic attacks later on.. the flashing is really intense you might get a seizure from them..

IrishNinja

BTW there are several hidden characters in Shining Force III part 1. game. One is an egg which if I recall correctly was a pain to level up but a fun character to use. the other looks like a chun li look-alike and perhaps a few more other characters to discover. Also when you beat the game you will unlock a difficulty and music test option. WATCH OUT for spells and enemy magic attacks later on.. the flashing is really intense you might get a seizure from them..

good to know! still haven't decided if i'm gonna play that or Ark first (didn't one of you guys say it ties into to one of the scenarios), also im thinking i'll play my US version and then look up what the changes were online after im done, wanna say i read the saves will work on scenarios 2 & 3 (i have all of em JP as well as fan translated now)

Subbed!

Started collecting Saturn games about 4 years ago now.
Currently addicted to Elevator Action Returns. Such a great fucking game, reminds me of Rolling Thunder 3. The animations are top notch, it has impact. Playing it co-op is a blast as well.

I do play on original hardware. It's what I prefer. But I have a question about one game in particular that just runs like ass on Saturn but I'm absolutely in love with the visuals and gameplay.

In The Hunt. Does emulating fix the crippling slowdown? Is there a "definitive" version of this game?

Timu

Timu, the next time you're recording, could you record something for me? if it's a pain in the ass don't worry about it, but your captures are really terrific and I'd like to make some VF2 saturn gifs. here's what I'm looking for:
- Wolf reversing Lion's side kick (down-forward kick)
- Lion escaping Wolf's back throw
- Lion's winpose for an excellent win on the last round of any stage

if you have options+ unlocked (hit R twice on the options screen) you can skip right to Wolf's stage, basically for the side kick all you have to do is keep doing the move and eventually he'll reverse it. for the back throw, pretty much any time wolf blocks something big (like Lion's up+P or up+B on saturn) he'll throw you and most of the time he'll use back throw, to escape it just enter back+A+B after he blocks the move.

i realize this is a tall order so i won't take it personally if you're not up to it.
...I might just do a playthrough, lol. I hope I can do Virtua Fighter 3 on Dreamcast as well. I just uploaded my Fighting Vipers 2 playthrough recently.

Also, did you watch the Fighter MegaMix vid in 1440p@60 FPS? That's the best way to experience it, though you need Chrome for that.

Timu

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it, just had a sound issue with Real Bout Fatal Fury Special that got fixed, that's all.

played saturn all day

VF2 is so good

if you had to choose between Darius Gaiden and Galactic Attack, which would YOU choose?!

I prefer Layer Section (I refuse to use that stupid title they gave for the Western releases).

Difficult to compare as they have little in common, but probably a useful comparison because they're the two best affordable Saturn shooters so lots of people will start with one or the other when amassing a collection.

Galdelico

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it, just had a sound issue with Real Bout Fatal Fury Special that got fixed, that's all.

Speaking of Saturn Real Bout Special and sound issues... During (spoiler-tagging it because... Who knows lol)
Blue Mary's Blues ending song
, image comes up a couple of seconds before the sound, resulting in a slight out-of-sync. It's strange because it happens all the times, and with the very same timing. No weird loadings, no other issues during my playthroughs, nothing wrong with any other game (plus the console still works flawlessly, and never gave me any problem... I own a Japanese white Saturn). I missed your original post, any chance you were talking about that?

s_mirage

I prefer Layer Section (I refuse to use that stupid title they gave for the Western releases).

I concur but with a caveat: the Saturn version of Layer Section is missing effects unless played in Tate mode. Since I don't have a vertical capable monitor, that might push me in the direction of Darius if I was buying.

Incidentally, what were Taito smoking when they named that game? RayForce, Gunlock, Layer Section, and Galactic Attack, all for one game.

Timu

Speaking of Saturn Real Bout Special and sound issues... During (spoiler-tagging it because... Who knows lol)
Blue Mary's Blues ending song
, image comes up a couple of seconds before the sound, resulting in a slight out-of-sync. It's strange because it happens all the times, and with the very same timing. No weird loadings, no other issues during my playthroughs, nothing wrong with any other game (plus the console still works flawlessly, and never gave me any problem... I own a Japanese white Saturn). I missed your original post, any chance you were talking about that?
It was just my ground loop isolater, I just removed it and that solved it.

I want to do one with Blue Mary!

MikeMyers

So I'm playing Vampire Hunter with Morrigan. When she wins a fight it shows a picture of her with text, and I swear the music in the background is the same from that "Bernie Stolar dropped the ball with the RAM cartridge" song.

Galdelico

So, any way to fix the slowdown on In The Hunt using emulation?
I don't use/know emulators, so take my suggestion for what it is... Try the PlayStation port, if you have the chance. I keep reading it's better than the Saturn game, in the slowdown department.

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special is fucking awesome, wow, can't believe I took this long to play it.
It really is. I'm more attached to Real Bout, but that's for personal reasons... Special is a hugely superior game.
Oh, and if you have the chance, would you mind checking out if the audio and the images are perfectly synced during the ending song?

Timu

It really is. I'm more attached to Real Bout, but that's for personal reasons... Special is a hugely superior game.
Oh, and if you have the chance, would you mind checking out if the audio and the images are perfectly synced during the ending song?
It'll probably be the same, plus my copy has scratches.=p

RBS looks great in RGB!!!

armarec20160110_142337.png
armarec20160110_142422.png
armarec20160110_142509.png

Galdelico

It'll probably be the same, plus my copy has scratches.=p

RBS looks great in RGB!!!
Great shots! Game's graphics - and animations - truly are remarkable.

And about the sync issue, my disc is pretty much brand new, and it still happens. Also tested the game with the official RAM cart, other than the AR Plus, but anything changed.
Btw, no rush, I'm just curious about it. ;)

Top Bottom