• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Once I buy some and have it in my possession, I almost never go back and look to see what the price is because, well, I don't care. I have no intention of reselling. The only case would be if there was a discussion based on an item that shot up that I own, but other than that I don't care.

Any who, congrats on what seems like a great deal back in 2013
I don't really like the game

I think all 16-bit programs are broken in Win10 (and maybe Win8). I had to install a virtual machine to play some old Win95 games once.
They're broken on any 64-bit Windows OSes, but that's not particularly relevant, since most of the library in question is 32-bit programs, I believe.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I only flip my collector's items when I relocate. I'm always a little worried that I'd break something in transit, so I offload the stuff I know I'll never play again.

They're broken on any 64-bit Windows OSes, but that's not particularly relevant, since most of the library in question is 32-bit programs, I believe.

Ah yes, that was it.

Conezays

Is there any reason to get Powerslave Saturn over the PS1 version? The latter seems cheaper. Apparently the levels are longer on the Saturn.

My understanding is it's the best version of the game. I got the UK version called "Exhumed" which runs without issue using the Action Replay.

FWIW, I believe Night Dive is still trying to get a re-release of both versions (and the PC version, which is completely different) lined up at some point.

I've only played the Saturn version and Powerslave EX (which is based on the PS1 version). The PS1 version usually has more complicated architecture, but has several quirky differences compared to the Saturn version - for instance, you can't bomb-jump in the PS1 version. Having played the Saturn version first, this was mildly off-putting.

Plus the Saturn version gives you an actual reward for collecting all the (devilishly-hidden) Team Dolls, while the PS1 version doesn't, exactly. (It has rewards of sorts, but they're given out at much lower numbers of Team Dolls and are generally intended to let you access further Team Dolls. Also, it requires you to get the really-difficult Team Doll in the laser maze fairly early, which is just evil.)

Is there any reason to get Powerslave Saturn over the PS1 version? The latter seems cheaper. Apparently the levels are longer on the Saturn.

PS1 version is good, Saturn version is better.

Differences I can think of:

- Death Tank Zwei reward for team dolls in Saturn version
- Bomb trick only in Saturn version
- Saturn version has better frame rate (think it's pretty much a rock solid 60FPS throughout iirc)
- Spiders in Saturn version, Scorpions in PS1
- Remixed levels (I generally prefer the Saturn level design)
- Soundtrack BGMs are sometimes swapped around in weird ways on the PS1 version. For example, the 1st level music in the PS1 version is the same as the last level music in the Saturn version. It just sounds odd and doesn't fit at all
- More ammo in the PS1 version. This probably should make the Saturn version harder, although I actually remember being challenged more by the PS1 version strangely.
- More colourful bright colour palette in Saturn version
- PS1 version has much better water effects (lol @ transparencies on the Saturn)

PS1 version is essentially a remixed version of the Saturn version. The PC version, by contrast, is basically a completely different game. It's inferior to the console version but still interesting and worth a playthrough.

Teknoman

Nice video. I like your format, it's similar to Stewy's, you're not talking over the entire video unlike most youtubers. Showing some gameplay & allowing the viewer to listen to the sound fx and music. For going off-the-cuff you sound fine, better than I could do. I like it.

Thanks! I'm hoping to capture some more (or at least what I think) are somewhat obscure or just under appreciated titles. Still trying to think of a good format for playthroughs / RPGs though, since those seem to end up having many parts. I really like Sewart and Parish's video style, and i'm a soundtrack nut myself, so I always think its annoying when people talk over the good parts lol.

ACESmkII

IMG_4642.jpg

So the Girlfriend got me Batsugun for Christmas. I finally got a chance to dive into it and i'm loving it. What a great swan song for Toaplan.

IMG_4630.jpg

Looks spectacular in 240p.

IMG_4643.jpg

It will sit well next to these gems.

Conezays

IMG_4642.jpg

So the Girlfriend got me Batsugun for Christmas. I finally got a chance to dive into it and i'm loving it. What a great swan song for Toaplan.

IMG_4630.jpg

Looks spectacular in 240p.

IMG_4643.jpg

It will sit well next to these gems.

Awesome! Great pics. Very jealous of you having Battle Garegga and Hyper Duel. :p

D.Lo

ACESmkII

Awesome! Great pics. Very jealous of you having Battle Garegga and Hyper Duel. :p

Thanks! They are both fantastic shooters. :p

Have you had HyperDuel for awhile? Games look mint!

I've had both Hyper Duel and Battle Garegga for less than a year. I usually try to buy mint w/spine and that is definitely not cheap the way the market is now.

I feel I lucked out on mint and complete copies of both Street Fighter Zero 3 and Elevator Action Returns at a reasonable prices though.

MikeMyers

I'l probably get the Japanese version of Power Slave myself. Damn shame these titles didn't take of, but I doubt many Western games on this system did.

Come to think of it, I wonder what the best selling western-developed Saturn game is? Sonic 3D Blast? lol

IrishNinja

damn, nice - i haven't spent much time with Hyper Dual but Garegga & Batsugun are the truth!

Well, there's not all that much to it. A producer at Sega Europe (who I can't recall the name of) didn't like the game's music and decided to have Richard Jacques compose something more reminiscent of Yuzo Koshiro's Shinobi soundtracks. And that's the story! :p

ah, i remember learning this in this very thread & meaning to check out said OST - anyone have any sample links?

Wasnt PD1 an extra that could be unlocked in Orta?

damn, that game just kept givin'

EDIT: If anyone sees a NA Shining Force 3 Case and / or Manual, please let me know. Ebay or wherever.

geez - i'll keep an eye out, but it's been a minute since i saw them without a disc. good luck m'man!

Once I buy some and have it in my possession, I almost never go back and look to see what the price is because, well, I don't care. I have no intention of reselling.

yeah, this is me - i legit get a little bummed when stuff i have shoots through the roof, cause fewer people will play it. been trying to find a buddy a copy of PDS for $250 but it just seems to get harder every year, and i still don't know why that one guy paid damn near $400 for EAR but at least not many have since, so it looks like it's settled down a bit

MikeMyers

I feel I lucked out on mint and complete copies of both Street Fighter Zero 3 and Elevator Action Returns at a reasonable prices though.

Wow. I think Alpha 3 might be the most expensive game on the system. I even see it go for higher than the US version of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

MikeMyers

I think Bust-a-Move 2 is the same across PS1/Saturn/N64. I often hear that the Saturn version is the best, but I never see any reason why it would be.

Never played Shining Wisdom. The only Shining game I have is the original on Mega Drive. Kinda played liked Fire Emblem.

IrishNinja

when i brought up Shining Wisdom here a page or two back, most say it was okay-ish, kinda the weakest of the series? i only put in about 20 minutes on my copy so far, it seems pretty by-the-numbers. given the WD factor, there's gonna be some lively S&M jokes about, i figure

ACESmkII

Wow. I think Alpha 3 might be the most expensive game on the system. I even see it go for higher than the US version of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I believe I paid about $160.00 for a complete w/spine SF Zero 3. I paid about 3x that for Hyper Duel.

If I recall one of the most expensive Saturn titles is Psychic Assassin Taromaru with prices currently as high as 700.00 + for complete copies.

Teknoman

geez - i'll keep an eye out, but it's been a minute since i saw them without a disc. good luck m'man!

yeah, this is me - i legit get a little bummed when stuff i have shoots through the roof, cause fewer people will play it. been trying to find a buddy a copy of PDS for $250 but it just seems to get harder every year, and i still don't know why that one guy paid damn near $400 for EAR but at least not many have since, so it looks like it's settled down a bit

I found a manual shortly after posting that, but still looking out for the case, or at least the rear cover art. Can probably find a saturn case for cheap anywhere :p

That being said, yeah its bittersweet. On one hand, you know that its something if you needed money for any reason, and could bare to part with it...no problem. On the other, if its truly an amazing game, you cant really recommend it to others since they'll have to break the bank or save up gift cards/reward points/whatever just for a chance at it.

I believe I paid about $160.00 for a complete w/spine SF Zero 3.

I am really happy I got most of my Saturn purchases done back in the early 2000's. I bought SFA3 sealed with the 4 meg ram cart for 25 or so back in like 2003-2005. I would not even want to think about trying to pick up Saturn games nowadays.

ACESmkII

I am really happy I got most of my Saturn purchases done back in the early 2000's. I bought SFA3 sealed with the 4 meg ram cart for 25 or so back in like 2003-2005. I would not even want to think about trying to pick up Saturn games nowadays.

Yeah, it really has gotten out of control the past few years.

LOL! Ridiculous! It will never sale for anything near that.

Yeah, it really has gotten out of control the past few years.

Retro gaming in general really has. I don't know what happened but I can't believe my eyes at some of the prices I see in stores and on ebay for shit.

I mean people are asking 100 bucks for broken retro consoles like the Jaguar. Are you serious, 10 years ago you could not give Jaguars away. It's mind blowing.

Bar81

You ask that much for a sealed copy and have the balls to charge for shipping!
8pBUnae.png

These are the VGA assclowns. Think that sending it to incompetent monkeys to get "rated" and stuck in a plastic coffin means they can charge 4x+ whatever market is. The more rare the title, the higher the multiple. These kind of auctions never sell but I guess it's the power of hope. And if you're that silly of a person, why not charge for shipping since the buyer is a complete moron in any case?

StevieWhite

Thanks! I'm hoping to capture some more (or at least what I think) are somewhat obscure or just under appreciated titles. Still trying to think of a good format for playthroughs / RPGs though, since those seem to end up having many parts. I really like Sewart and Parish's video style, and i'm a soundtrack nut myself, so I always think its annoying when people talk over the good parts lol.

Just watched the video, good stuff! Gonna have to give Metal Black a shot. If your intent was to let the soundtrack breathe, you succeeded.

If I ever work from a script, I just find my voice starts to get funky sounding. To rectify it, I basically started recording my VO in much smaller chunks so that it was much easier to just re record whatever bits I didn't like. Helps keep the "off the cuff" quality.

IrishNinja

Corrupted data caused by a loose connection in the cartridge slot.

ouch, that sucks...man i hope my saturn memory cart doesn't go, ive tons of stuff on there

goddamn, always in awe of the price difference from that era - and yeah, i spent 100+ on at least 3 titles i can think of, wonder how much they went for in that window, haha

You ask that much for a sealed copy and have the balls to charge for shipping!
8pBUnae.png

yeah, that kills me everytime...like cmon bruh, that's 8 stacks, let the $13 or so slide

These are the VGA assclowns. Think that sending it to incompetent monkeys to get "rated" and stuck in a plastic coffin means they can charge 4x+ whatever market is. The more rare the title, the higher the multiple. These kind of auctions never sell but I guess it's the power of hope. And if you're that silly of a person, why not charge for shipping since the buyer is a complete moron in any case?

yeah, saw it in comics for a while too (still do)...i never really check, but do any of these sell, or just the ones slightly above the current asking price anyway?

Bar81

yeah, saw it in comics for a while too (still do)...i never really check, but do any of these sell, or just the ones slightly above the current asking price anyway?

Not this type of super extreme above market stupid shit. It just depends on price since no one really gives a shit about VGA ratings - it's the product condition that determines price and price can vary massively between a flawless condition sealed copy and one that is sealed but flawless with a corner or two worn for example (just look at the two sealed Chrono Triggers that sold recently). The reality these days is that a lot of the VGA graded stuff is just in better condition than the other new stuff - maybe the same people who get stiff on VGA grading are hoarders as well with enough OCD to keep things in flawless condition. Ultimately, if the condition is good enough, VGA graded games can get a nice premium but it's really because the condition is good, not because it's VGA graded and in any case, certainly not 4-5x or higher than market price.

Khaz

Corrupted data caused by a loose connection in the cartridge slot.

It happened to me when I stupidly removed the cart when the console was still powered on. I don't know what I was thinking.

It's likely that the FAT got corrupted, but your data is still here. What I did was starting a cartridge format, then immediately after it started turn the console off. I lost my most ancient save (a replay from my best time ever on Sega Rally :cry: ) but everything else was back as before.

I can't advise you to do that, because if it doesn't work then you would have definitely lost all your data, and I don't want to be responsible for that. Maybe there are other means, safer?

There is a box that you plug on top of the Action Replay to connect it to a PC and save your saves. I've never bothered doing it but I know I should someday.

Top Bottom