• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Tain

Virtual-On worth a purchase?

It's an interesting adaptation if you love the console and want to see how it would handle such a game, but honestly? No. Not anymore.

Virtual On is much, much, much, better on PS2, Xbox 360, and PS3. Play any of those versions instead. The Saturn version is obviously held back visually (where the other ports I listed are Model 2 level or better), but it's also really mechanically inaccurate. The other ports also support superior gamepad control schemes if you don't want to go all-in on twinsticks.

MikeMyers

Huh, didn't know it was part of those Model 2 ports on PSN/XBLA. I guess it does make the Saturn version redundant.

Through is it missing content? Like the Saturn versions of VF2 and FV came with extra content that isn't in the Model 2 ports.

It's an interesting adaptation if you love the console and want to see how it would handle such a game, but honestly? No. Not anymore.

Virtual On is much, much, much, better on PS2, Xbox 360, and PS3. Play any of those versions instead. The Saturn version is obviously held back visually (where the other ports I listed are Model 2 level or better), but it's also really mechanically inaccurate. The other ports also support superior gamepad control schemes if you don't want to go all-in on twinsticks.

The only way to properly play though

Genuine-Sega-Saturn-Twin-Stick-HSS-0154-Dual-Joystick-Controller-Virtual-On-Game.jpg

Huh, didn't know it was part of those Model 2 ports on PSN/XBLA. I guess it does make the Saturn version redundant.

Through is it missing content? Like the Saturn versions of VF2 and FV came with extra content that isn't in the Model 2 ports.

HCG101 has a brief breakdown
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/virtualon/virtualon.htm

MikeMyers

Doesn't look like Sega has done a Model 3 collection for PSN/XBLA/VC.

Best Virtua Fighter game still doesn't have an arcade-perfect console version.

Tain

The PS2 version has the most content if I remember correctly (just a few fun minor extras like big-head mode and a jank mode where you can play as the final boss), but none really have beefy original content. I think you'd just be missing an FMV intro by skipping the Saturn version.

SevenDevils said:
The only way to properly play though

In all seriousness, as much as I love the old Saturn twinstick controller, if I had to choose between playing the Saturn original with that controller or the PS3/360/PS2 release with a standard pad, I'd go with the latter.

The Xbox 360 is the best console for Virtual On. Best versions of every game in the series (Marz doesn't exist), and this thing:

voforce7710.jpg

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Cool, I'll skip the Saturn port then.

What about Daytona USA CCE?

Get the later Japanese release (CE) which tweaks handling, among other minor improvements. Ideally though, you'd want the ultimate version of the game, Daytona Deluxe on PC. Problem is that it can be a major pain in the ass to get working correctly on a modern OS.

What about Daytona USA CCE?

I'd just get Daytona USA HD on 360/PS3.

If you absolutely have to have a version of Daytona for Saturn, get the JP "Circuit Edition" release. Has the extra cars/tracks from Championship Circuit Edition, a Day/Night/Dusk/Dawn toggle for track skyboxes, controls more in-line with the AM2 original, and the music from the original Saturn release. I believe there was a PC port of that release as well? I remember having a demo for it a while back.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I have the HD version, but I saw Richard Jacques worked on the CCE, and so it gained my interest.

Not sure how big a role Jacques played since he's only one of several composers attached to it. The name most associated with CCE/CE in Eric Martin of Mr. Big.

If you're looking for an under-the-radar Saturn game that Jacques had a larger role in, check out F1 Challenge. The original Japanese version featured running commentary by F1 announcers but no in-race music. Sega Europe had Jacques compose a really nice soundtrack for the Western releases.

Not sure how big a role Jacques played since he's only one of several composers attached to it. The name most associated with CCE/CE in Eric Martin of Mr. Big.

If you're looking for an under-the-radar Saturn game that Jacques had a larger role in, check out F1 Challenge. The original Japanese version featured running commentary by F1 announcers but no in-race music. Sega Europe had Jacques compose a really nice soundtrack for the Western releases.

Didn't know that! Definitely going to put that on my radar.

MikeMyers

He also did the soundtrack to the European version of Shinobi X, but I can't find it at a reasonable price.

Will check that game out.

Just noticed that Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution thread on the main section.

Shaneus

I had (have?) the Japanese version of that. Can't remember if I sold it or not, but I remember loving the commentary. Shame the HUD was (from memory) littered with Japanese text.

MikeMyers

Well, there's not all that much to it. A producer at Sega Europe (who I can't recall the name of) didn't like the game's music and decided to have Richard Jacques compose something more reminiscent of Yuzo Koshiro's Shinobi soundtracks. And that's the story! :p

BTW, speaking of behind-the-scene stuff, what was the story about Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3? It just seemed odd that Midway was offering UMK3 on 16-bit system and MKT on 5th gen systems, and the Saturn just got both? I've seen some people say Sega made some sort of deal with Midway, but never seen a legit source for it.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
BTW, speaking of behind-the-scene stuff, what was the story about Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3? It just seemed odd that Midway was offering UMK3 on 16-bit system and MKT on 5th gen systems, and the Saturn just got both? I've seen some people say Sega made some sort of deal with Midway, but never seen a legit source for it.

You're asking the wrong guy. My knowledge of fighters is pretty limited.

I've been on the fence about checking this one out; is the slowdown *really* that bad?

It is absolutely crippling. No hyperbole.

I don't use/know emulators, so take my suggestion for what it is... Try the PlayStation port, if you have the chance. I keep reading it's better than the Saturn game, in the slowdown department.

Thanks.

I don't use emulators either, but in this instance I'm willing to try anything.

Galdelico

Cool, I'll skip the Saturn port then.
You probably know it already, but it's worth noting that XBLA/PSN Virtual On (just like Virtua Striker) has been released only in Japan, so you must have access to the Japanese PS Store/Live Marketplace - and buy the appropriate currency - in order to purchase the game.

MikeMyers

You probably know it already, but it's worth noting that XBLA/PSN Virtual On (just like Virtua Striker) has been released only in Japan, so you must have access to the Japanese PS Store/Live Marketplace - and buy the appropriate currency - in order to purchase the game.

Actually, I didn't know that.

Well is the game playable on a Saturn d-pad? I'm guessing from Tain's earlier posts it really isn't. Part of the reason I generally opt for Saturn versions of arcade ports because it's controller is amazing for arcade ports. PS360, not so much, IMO.

Galdelico

Well is the game playable on a Saturn d-pad? I'm guessing from Tain's earlier posts it really isn't. Part of the reason I generally opt for Saturn versions of arcade ports because it's controller is amazing for arcade ports. PS360, not so much, IMO.
To be honest, I'm not a huge VO enthusiast, and I got the game for the reason Tain mentioned above, mainly for the novelty, the curiosity to see how the port was handled on the Saturn. For what I've played, I found the standard pad perfectly fine, but I realize I didn't go any deeper than just scraping the surface of the whole thing.

Khaz

Dualshocks are a very good replacement for twin sticks. The Saturn controls are also good but if you're after the arcade experience, one of the later arcade port is better. I'd say the PS2 version because it comes on a disc and has a very good presentation, being from the SEGA Ages collection and all.

The Saturn version is still very good, it's an excellent port for the time and can still be played and enjoyed. But if you have a later console and only want one version of the game, I'd say skip it.

MikeMyers

Hmm, alright, will keep in mind.

I just beat the original Panzer Dragoon. The presentation was nice, but it felt outdated compared to Zwei's gameplay. I guess I shouldnt have played Zwei first.

Teknoman

That just burns even more >_< Damn postal service!

EDIT: If anyone sees a NA Shining Force 3 Case and / or Manual, please let me know. Ebay or wherever.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The PS2 version has the most content if I remember correctly (just a few fun minor extras like big-head mode and a jank mode where you can play as the final boss), but none really have beefy original content. I think you'd just be missing an FMV intro by skipping the Saturn version.

The PS2 version has a few noteworthy gameplay additions. The ones that stick out the most in my memory are VO:OT style dash cancels (press turbo to stop a dash instead of having to press back+turbo) and additional VO:OT style super moves. You could toggle these sorts of things on or off in the options. Some of them might have been unlockable. I don't remember.

There was also a secret, unlockable boss version of Fei-Yen that was based on some VO radio drama or something. Nothing that special imo but I was somewhat impressed that they were reaching that far into the lore for a budget priced remake.

Not sure if all of this stuff made it into the PS3/360 release or not.

Some VO enthusiasts will actually tell you that the standard Saturn pad has an advantage over the twinstick on the Saturn port. I can't remember why though.

Dualshocks are a very good replacement for twin sticks.

I strongly disagree.

The twinstick control scheme is good for twinsticks. The standard pad control scheme is good for regular controllers. "Twinstick" controls on a dual shock just felt sloppy and killed my thumbs. :p

Some work pretty well, actually, although you may need fanmade patches here and there.

Well, Windows 7, anyway. Haven't tried Windows 10.

I think all 16-bit programs are broken in Win10 (and maybe Win8). I had to install a virtual machine to play some old Win95 games once.

MikeMyers

Is there any reason to get Powerslave Saturn over the PS1 version? The latter seems cheaper. Apparently the levels are longer on the Saturn.

Galdelico

Oh boy, I'm browsing eBay for some CIB/good conditions, NTSC-U Quake and Duke Nukem for the Saturn, and this Global Shipping Program really fucked things up big time, for us Europeans. No matter how expensive are the games to begin with - and they aren't as cheap as I thought they'd be - I'd end up paying insane money just for the postage, to the point I feel like it's not even worth bothering. Such a shame. :/

Galdelico

I always get lots of international bids on my items because I do all the shipping myself.
I bet you do, that's usually the first thing I notice, along with a strong positive feedback.
Speaking of which: do we have any thread/list, here on GAF, with gaffers selling games worldwide on eBay, and respective links? This would be so convenient, especially in case of well-known people like you.

Once I buy some and have it in my possession, I almost never go back and look to see what the price is because, well, I don't care. I have no intention of reselling. The only case would be if there was a discussion based on an item that shot up that I own, but other than that I don't care.

Any who, congrats on what seems like a great deal back in 2013

Top Bottom