• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Agreed. Cardboard doesn't only get beat to crap, it can also become straight up dirty. With CD jewel cases or plastic boxes, there's at a chance to clean things up or replace them with new ones.

I do like the cover artwork more on RAM-pack MSHvsSF, though. :)

WOJB64f.jpg

ntIZ0hb.jpg

Looking at that artwork... Bengus fell the fuck off lol.
The VS series stuff was so good but all his SFV work isn't nearly on the same level.

well I finally crumbled and subbed to this and the dreamcast thread. Won't be getting either for a while but I'll probably jump on it at some point.

Teknoman

well I finally crumbled and subbed to this and the dreamcast thread. Won't be getting either for a while but I'll probably jump on it at some point.

You're in luck since Dreamcast (I think) is still really in the very affordable range. Imo Saturn isnt that bad yet aside from the usual expensive low prints.

You're in luck since Dreamcast (I think) is still really in the very affordable range. Imo Saturn isnt that bad yet aside from the usual expensive low prints.

from browsing around Saturn seems pretty in line with the PSX.

I've got some serious real life adventures to get sorted in the near future, though. Don't know how my collecting with be influenced.

Regardless Darius Gaiden is 30 fucking bucks!

Teknoman

from browsing around Saturn seems pretty in line with the PSX.

I've got some serious real life adventures to get sorted in the near future, though. Don't know how my collecting with be influenced.

Regardless Darius Gaiden is 30 fucking bucks!

Yeah just go one step at a time, no rush.

MikeMyers

A lot of the best games can still be found for cheap, especially if you import:

Darius Gaiden, Fighters Megamix, Nights into Dreams (through you'd probably need the 3D Controller), Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2.

IrishNinja

^congrats m'man! where'd you find it? i was gonna sort out a Popful Mail & few others one day as well, at least until we get better with 3D printing, haha

Teknoman

^congrats m'man! where'd you find it? i was gonna sort out a Popful Mail & few others one day as well, at least until we get better with 3D printing, haha

Ebay, was just scanning newly listed Shining Force III stuff every so often.

lol man 3D printing becoming the norm, custom cases are going to be all over :p

Timu

So Galdelico, here's my playthrough on Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. Notice anything about Blue Mary's song?

I had to upload in 1440p/60FPS so youtube wouldn't crap on it with it's compression much to retain it's original quality.

Galdelico

So Galdelico, here's my playthrough on Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. Notice anything about Blue Mary's song?

I had to upload in 1440p/60FPS so youtube wouldn't crap on it with it's compression much to retain it's original quality.

Thanks again Timu! It looks perfectly fine and synced... Just out of curiosity, what's your setup for the video? I mean, which Saturn model and video cable did you use?

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Do I miss alot if I get the jp version of Panzer Dragoon Zwei?

You can easily complete the game without any knowledge of the story. If you really want to know what happens, I'd suggest either consulting PanzerDragoonLegacy.com or finding a longplay of the English-language releases on YouTube.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
But is the story good? Interesting? Normally I would get the japanese version instantly, but considering this is in the same series as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Im thinking I might want to know whats going on for when I play that.

StevieWhite

But is the story good? Interesting? Normally I would get the japanese version instantly, but considering this is in the same series as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Im thinking I might want to know whats going on for when I play that.

[Edit - thought we were talking about Saga, not Zwei] I'd say go ahead and play Zwei in Japanese. Plus, if you've played Saga, you probably already read a pretty good summary of what happened in Zwei.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
[Edit - thought we were talking about Saga, not Zwei] I'd say go ahead and play Zwei in Japanese. Plus, if you've played Saga, you probably already read a pretty good summary of what happened in Zwei.

Thanks! I have not played Saga yet, but going to after Zwei.

Gyrian

Looking at that artwork... Bengus fell the fuck off lol.
The VS series stuff was so good but all his SFV work isn't nearly on the same level.

It really is disappointing, seeing what Bengus has been capable of. When I first saw it, it struck me as placeholder; quick sketch versions of the art he intended to complete more fully later. I still hold out hope they will improve on those more down the line. Street Fighter artwork is mostly downright fantastic, it'd be a shame to have this be a sore spot on SFV which is looking really great everywhere otherwise...

I've been looking for this thing for years.....

congrats :)

Thanks! It's only for the past year or so that I came to learn that Tecnosoft had actually made so much Saturn software. It's kind of as if they all had small print runs though, sadly...

This is what it's going to take, isn't it? It sucks that non-traditional CD cases really can't be purchases anywhere. You'd have thought that by now it would have made sense for someone to make these again and sell them. Then again, nowadays, it's surprisingly hard to buy new quality CD jewel cases even.

Thanks! It's only for the past year or so that I came to learn that Tecnosoft had actually made so much Saturn software. It's kind of as if they all had small print runs though, sadly...

I remember that Famitsu gave a very low score to the game (which was a launch title on PS1 iirc)
I should find that issue cause the score was veeeeeery low :D

(but back then their scores were very low, now a 28 (7,7,7,7) means it's a "kusoge" garbage, 20 years ago was already a good score)

Gyrian

I remember that Famitsu gave a very low score to the game (which was a launch title on PS1 iirc)
I should find that issue cause the score was veeeeeery low :D

(but back then their scores were very low, now a 28 (7,7,7,7) means it's a "kusoge" garbage, 20 years ago was already a good score)

Wow! Then again the entire genre seemed to be getting thoroughly beaten up (heh) in the mid nineties, to the point we stopped having it altogether.
I wish it hadn't died out, belt scrolling beat 'em ups make up some of my favorite games ever.
Which makes me very excited for Project Y, should it (a) actually come out and (b) they would sell me one.

Khaz

Wow! Then again the entire genre seemed to be getting thoroughly beaten up (heh) in the mid nineties, to the point we stopped having it altogether.
I wish it hadn't died out, belt scrolling beat 'em ups make up some of my favorite games ever.
Which makes me very excited for Project Y, should it (a) actually come out and (b) they would sell me one.

Everything 2D was beaten up in the nineties. the Playstation and the emergence of 3D gaming was really tough for older genres that couldn't transition to a free camera and a spinning world.

Timu

Thanks again Timu! It looks perfectly fine and synced... Just out of curiosity, what's your setup for the video? I mean, which Saturn model and video cable did you use?
It's a model 2 Saturn with a custom made csync Saturn scart cable(that I bought from the seller thefoo.83 on ebay). I'll be using this cable for most games(in 240p) but the 480i ones will have to use my svideo cable which is shockingly really good going by the Fighters Megamix video.

Gyrian

Everything 2D was beaten up in the nineties. the Playstation and the emergence of 3D gaming was really tough for older genres that couldn't transition to a free camera and a spinning world.

You're right of course, but I have a hard time thinking of another genre that was so prevalent during the early 90's that disappeared so quickly with the shift to 3D. It's a if it got hit with a double whammy of transition woes and the industry deciding that the genre was on its way out or done.

IrishNinja

god, i wanna believe it's this year but we don't even have a proper name for it yet - ive an investor copy coming through a friend, we'll see when that finally manifests

yuuuup - that'd be a solid game for me! and here we are, having people revolt for less than a 9 on a zelda, haha

you have no idea - manuals, cardboard boxes! i don't care if people tag em to show they're repros, just want original art

Galdelico

It's a model 2 Saturn with a custom made csync Saturn scart cable(that I bought from the seller thefoo.83 on ebay). I'll be using this cable for most games(in 240p) but the 480i ones will have to use my svideo cable which is shockingly really good going by the Fighters Megamix video.
Thanks for the info. That's the same Saturn I own - a Japanese white Model 2 - and I've also bought my RGB cable from thefoo.83. The only difference is that my cable is not CSYNC, but instead a regular 'composite video for sync' RGB lead, for both European and NTSC consoles.

Gyrian

Thanks for the info. That's the same Saturn I own - a Japanese white Model 2 - and I've also bought my RGB cable from thefoo.83. The only difference is that my cable is not CSYNC, but instead a regular 'composite video for sync' RGB lead, for both European and NTSC consoles.

You guys might still have slight system differences even if they're both white Japanese Saturns. I think this model was around long enough to exist with more than one BIOS version, for example.

Random sad fact: I thought I had a defective copy of In The Hunt, only to find out it simply wouldn't work on my model 1 grey HST-3210 Saturn. Worked perfectly on a white model 2 Saturn. And all this time it's Outrun I was watching out for!

You're right of course, but I have a hard time thinking of another genre that was so prevalent during the early 90's that disappeared so quickly with the shift to 3D. It's a if it got hit with a double whammy of transition woes and the industry deciding that the genre was on its way out or done.
They started dying off before 3D got big. IIRC, SF2 killed beltscrollers. Arcade operators generate way more revenue with versus fighters. Industry followed, I guess.

MikeMyers

Well the wrestling game is only $10. So I guess I'll go for it.

What about Silhoette Mirage? I like Treasure but is the game worth around $60? I noticed it's also on the PSX, but I hear that version isn't as good?

Timu

Well the wrestling game is only $10. So I guess I'll go for it.

What about Silhoette Mirage? I like Treasure but is the game worth around $60? I noticed it's also on the PSX, but I hear that version isn't as good?
PS1 version is fine but is not as good as the Saturn version when it comes to graphical effects.

Shaneus

Die Hard Arcade even showed that 3D and a beat em up could be pulled off fairly well. Shame it didn't translate into anything else.

Especially in actual arcades, I honestly don't think any came out post-2000. A "3D" remake of Simpsons or TMNT would go gangbusters, I think.

ACESmkII

I'm finding it difficult to find the second revision of the Sega Ages Outrun that will work with my white model 2 Jp Saturn. From what I understand the Sega Ages After Burner does not have the boot issue?

Timu

Are you impressed by the quality of my videos?=O Ha, funny how we both ordered from the same seller.

I had to use cysnc or else GBS 8200 will hate it.=O

Khaz

Die Hard Arcade even showed that 3D and a beat em up could be pulled off fairly well. Shame it didn't translate into anything else.

Especially in actual arcades, I honestly don't think any came out post-2000. A "3D" remake of Simpsons or TMNT would go gangbusters, I think.

Yep Die hard arcade was the only try of an old school gameplay with 3D graphics. Everybody else tried to integrate 3D paradigms in it, like Fighting force, Devil may cry, and that just didn't work well. Well it kind of did, but it's another genre entirely now.

Timu

can you be more specific? What's changed?

"Silhouette Mirage was initially released on the Saturn, but was ported to the PlayStation shortly thereafter. The differences between the versions are minimal - the Saturn version has extra background layers and various other details in certain stages that are missing from the PlayStation version, but that's about the only major change. To make up for this, there's an extra boss fight - the Reaper - at the end, as well as an additional ending for beating it. Considering how badly a lot of other ports got butchered back in the 32-bit era - especially 2D games for the PlayStation - Silhouette Mirage turned out pretty damn well.

However, when it was localized into English, there were a number of gameplay changes implemented by Working Designs, the American publisher. Working Designs was known to tinker with gameplay elements, usually to make them more difficult, but they really went overboard with this one.

The very essence of the power draining mechanics have changed. Previously, you could use any of the weapons as much as you wanted - now, all weapons drain spirit power as you use them. To make up for this, when you attack enemies with the same class, you'll replenish your own Spirit meter in addition to depleting theirs. This is actually really useful in certain boss battles when your spirit is depleted, since you can just suck the strength back out of them. Additionally, some of the weapons in the Japanese version were pretty unbalanced, and this seems to be a way to keep players from abusing the more powerful attacks.

Ultimately, however, the changes do more harm than good. Most of the weapons drain way too much power to be useful. It also pretty much forces you to drain every enemy before killing them, and potentially you can expend more energy than you replenish. It also forces you to use the weakest weapons in most cases, since that usually expends the least amount of Spirit. Quite simply, the game is already complicated enough trying to deal with the different classes - keeping track of ammo conservation just isn't fun.

Furthermore, Working Designs upped the difficulty by increasing the damage inflicted by enemies, as well as making all of the items in the shops more expensive. The latter solves nothing - having to stop and cash bash enemies to be able afford upgraded weapons and health replenishments was already somewhat tedious in the Japanese release, but this just makes everything worse."

PS1 version more challenging confirmed!

that change actually sounds interesting, but I can see where there'd be issues.

How story/text heavy is the game? I mind end up looking at a NTSCJ copy if I get it on the PSX.

thomasos

Damn. And not even a casual brag about Panzer Dragoon Saga in the background :p Haha, fantastic collection! I'll have to do a picture of mine after the latest horde from Ebay arrives.

PS Anyone have any strong feelings on Dragon Force one way or the other? Seems like a cool game, just unsure if it's among the games worth the higher price tag, etc.

Dragon Force is excellent; one of my favorite Saturn games. And it offers a ton of content, so even though it's expensive, you'll get decent bang for you buck.

IrishNinja

ehhh when Mzo put on his Silhouette Mirage clinic, the PSX one seemed really un-fun - you had to grind a lot, weapons were limited, you'd mostly be using the stock one, etc. it really had nothing on the (sadly more expensive) saturn version, but you can get the later for about $40 if you keep an eye out!

Teknoman

Damn. And not even a casual brag about Panzer Dragoon Saga in the background :p Haha, fantastic collection! I'll have to do a picture of mine after the latest horde from Ebay arrives.

PS Anyone have any strong feelings on Dragon Force one way or the other? Seems like a cool game, just unsure if it's among the games worth the higher price tag, etc.

Is it? Yes, its one of the better Real Time SRPGs to hit consoles. I'm surprised CJ hasnt shown up yet, since he does no matter where Dragon Force is mentioned.

Top Bottom