• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

MikeMyers

Double post but...

Corrupted data caused by a loose connection in the cartridge slot.

...Yeah all my save files are gone. I don't mind beating NiGHTS again, and I can usually beat PD Zwei in one-sitting, but it's gonna be annoying having to unlock the characters in Fighters Megamix again.

UMGAWA

5lCxdtc.jpg

Retirement sorted.

Kappa

Timu

Retirement sorted.

Kappa
Major congrats man.

When it comes to Mega Man X3 I prefer the SNES soundtrack over the arranged PS1/Saturn ones. Hell in all cases I prefer the original soundtrack to the arranged one. Shame that Mega Man X Collection used the arranged soundtrack.

UMGAWA

Major congrats man.

When it comes to Mega Man X3 I prefer the SNES soundtrack over the arranged PS1/Saturn ones. Hell in all cases I prefer the original soundtrack to the arranged one. Shame that Mega Man X Collection used the arranged soundtrack.

Ha, thanks.
Yeah, not terribly fussed by the sound track on the game either, though I've never heard the snes version.

TeaJay

The Saturn version is IMO just such a bad port with increased loading times. I sold mine earlier this year for 100 € and it was even without instructions. Crazy, crazy.

Khaz

What do you guys think of the wheel? And what games does it work best with? I have Sega Rally.

Not a fan of it. I barely played with it so maybe you need to work it to get good, but I felt I had much less control of my car with it. Which is strange considering I have no problem with the arcade wheel.

NDPsycho

Not a fan of it. I barely played with it so maybe you need to work it to get good, but I felt I had much less control of my car with it. Which is strange considering I have no problem with the arcade wheel.

I think the Saturn wheel is terrible. Tried it out for a while and it just never felt right. Though I never really liked any wheels without FF. I only ever tried Rally and Daytona, but the controller just works better. Wheel is about as pointless as the mission stick, but at least that added some fun to some games.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I'm not sure what the rules here are for self-promotion so I won't do this too often, but here's a batch of interesting videos you may want to check that I posted over the last two weeks:

Clockwork Knight longplay. No damage, no deaths, and a bunch of secrets uncovered. I've subtitled the opening song lyrics and the bit of story near the end. Still need to sub the closing song. http://youtu.be/_0yjocajMCM

Clockwork Knight 2 longplay. No damage, no deaths, and even more secrets. Keep your eyes open for the hidden cameo near the end featuring '90s idol Hiroko Nakayama. Subtitles to be added later. http://youtu.be/93w8QpSXPeU

Minigames from Pepperouchau's Lucky Box. These are hidden on the disc. Can be unlocked by pressing "up, up, right, right, down, down, left, left, x, y, z" at the Bosses Galore title screen. http://youtu.be/n-PlVhdbJdw

The Birth of Pepperouchau Movie. Another hidden extra from the Lucky Box collection. CG movie that wasn't used in either of the first two games. I'm guessing it was probably used as a proof-of-concept film. Watch for the Sonic cameo and the box right above him that literally says "cameo." Lyrics have been subtitled. http://youtu.be/CxGF0BlcQiE

Clockwork Knight Puzzle (Pengin War). An unreleased prototype that was briefly circulated about 10 years ago before being yanked because a certain someone in the Sega community tried to resell copies of the ISO on Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Plays like a more elaborate version of Sega's earlier block-moving puzzle game Pengo. http://youtu.be/wlqGXttrLFA

Enjoy!

I'm not sure what the rules here are for self-promotion so I won't do this too often, but here's a batch of interesting videos you may want to check that I posted over the last two weeks:

Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't spam the board, but you don't seem the type to do that. Several gaffers here post links to their pages/channels on no death runs opinion pieces etc... Although, I would think most people on this board are already subscribed to your channel anyway.

Partial? Good lord that's amazing.

yes, I still have some games in my home country, they should be around 70 and among them are the best and rarest titles such as Metal Slug, D&D, Castlevania, Elevator Action Returns
all of them have been bought from 2003 to 2012, the games in the picture have been purchased in Japan since I moved here, 3 years ago, except for 15-20 games which I brought from my home country last time I went there.

my collection have passed 300 titles (and yes, all of them with the spine-card) but I don't have the most expensive titles such as Hyper Duel, Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun
Instead of spending $100+ for a single game I prefer to get 10 or 20 games with the same amount of money.
Never spent $100+ for a single game in my all life, to be honest.

Conezays

Retirement sorted.

Kappa

Damn. And not even a casual brag about Panzer Dragoon Saga in the background :p Haha, fantastic collection! I'll have to do a picture of mine after the latest horde from Ebay arrives.

PS Anyone have any strong feelings on Dragon Force one way or the other? Seems like a cool game, just unsure if it's among the games worth the higher price tag, etc.

Timu

So Galdelico, I'll have my Real Bout Fatal Fury Special no continues used playthrough up on Wednesday and I'll beat it with Terry Bogard so you can listen and see if the Blue Mary song is out of sync with my copy.

UMGAWA

Damn. And not even a casual brag about Panzer Dragoon Saga in the background :p Haha, fantastic collection! I'll have to do a picture of mine after the latest horde from Ebay arrives.

Ha, thank you. I hope my post doesn't come across as a brag post, intended to me more of a joke post considering that ridiculous ebay listing for megaman x3.
Always great to see posts of people's collections!

Found a Youtube channel with a whole bunch of Japanese video game commercial compilations, mostly from the 32-bit gen onwards. Most of the compilations from that era are Playstation and Nintendo ROKUJYU YON, but I found a handful of Saturn commercials in there. I wanted to see what the regular non-Segata Sanshiro Saturn commercials were like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1YD-izqpqM That thumbnail...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQx6kxtLxlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmPw1g33aw This is a mix of Saturn and Playstation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obysicuAy24 Likewise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX_K3zjL0H8 Kaze no Regret ads.

Galdelico

So Galdelico, I'll have my Real Bout Fatal Fury Special no continues used playthrough up on Wednesday and I'll beat it with Terry Bogard so you can listen and see if the Blue Mary song is out of sync with my copy.
That's great, thank you! Looking forward to it anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of the Real Bout series. ^_-

And about the 'out of sync' issue... I googled it pretty hard, and managed to find it mentioned in some random videogame-related message board. Same thing happened to a couple of guys, claiming their CDs were mint as well. On the other hand, I watched playthroughs on YT where the song runs perfectly synced.
I've seen videos of different Saturn models, playing the same game at slightly diffent speed (i.e., a grey Model 1 being a bit faster than a white Model 2), but other than that I genuinely have no clue about the whole thing.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't spam the board, but you don't seem the type to do that. Several gaffers here post links to their pages/channels on no death runs opinion pieces etc... Although, I would think most people on this board are already subscribed to your channel anyway.

I'd like to hope so, heh. Still people don't always check their YouTube notifications.

*raises his hand* :p
Great channel indeed.

:D

Gyrian

It took more than a year of actively looking, but I've finally found a standalone copy of X-MEN vs. Street Fighter!
I'm not sure why the RAM cart bundle is so common while this one is not, unlike pretty much everything else Capcom put out in this form. It's nice to finally have a back cover to match the rest of the series on my shelf.

x9IAv5e.jpg

This also arrived, which I'm super excited to try! A genre I love, arranged by Tecnosoft? I was so sold the minute I found out this existed.

AV2u7Ky.jpg

Conezays

Ha, thank you. I hope my post doesn't come across as a brag post, intended to me more of a joke post considering that ridiculous ebay listing for megaman x3.
Always great to see posts of people's collections!

Haha, not at all. Just a gentle ribbing :p

I have to say I behaved extremely prudently throughout 2015 with my spending...until I got a a Saturn.

MikeMyers

Did Sega of America even develop any games for the system outside of the cancelled Sonic Xtreme? I can't seem to find any besides helping on DIe Hard Arcade.

It's okay. The levels go on for way too long, personally, and get difficult pretty quickly.

Also my copy is kind of scratched up, just enough such that the final world doesn't load. (At least, it didn't when I cheated to skip ahead.)

The Saturn did get some great platformers.

Super Tempo and Keio Yuugekitai Katsugekihen are extremely good, though don't look at the prices for the former. Super Tempo's the sequel to a 32X platformer developed by the small developer behind most of the Game Gear Sonic games and it might be their best effort yet. Keio Yuu... let's call it Keio 2, is just charming and super goofy anime all over.

Astal and Clockwork Knight 1+2 are cheaper, first party, and I've heard good things about both. Can't go wrong with any of them, I think.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I'm not sure why the RAM cart bundle is so common while this one is not, unlike pretty much everything else Capcom put out in this form. It's nice to finally have a back cover to match the rest of the series on my shelf.

Possibly a smaller production run, but I've got a feeling that RAM cart-packaged games having no back cover or spine and being packaged in those cardboard boxes, which tend to get beat up, make standalone copies more desirable.

Teknoman

This also arrived, which I'm super excited to try! A genre I love, arranged by Tecnosoft? I was so sold the minute I found out this existed.

AV2u7Ky.jpg

Some of the stages make no sense...same with the last boss :p Its not bad at all, but you might want to crank the difficulity if you're even the least bit good at beat em ups.That being said, soundtrack is pretty cool.

Gyrian

Possibly a smaller production run, but I've got a feeling that RAM cart-packaged games having no back cover or spine and being packaged in those cardboard boxes, which tend to get beat up, make standalone copies more desirable.

I think so, too. This affects MSH vs. SF similarly (but to a much smaller degree). Vampire Savior is curiously inexpensive and easy to find in either flavor. I wonder if all these RAM cart pack-ins were always manual only. I think I've seen some of the SNK ones include a back cover only (Metal Slug?), but maybe that's just two different used items being put together.

Some of the stages make no sense...same with the last boss :p Its not bad at all, but you might want to crank the difficulity if you're even the least bit good at beat em ups.That being said, soundtrack is pretty cool.

Interesting! I'm OK with some nonsense to spice it up. Even those beat em ups that try to play it most straight can't resist a touch of WTF. Final Fight wouldn't be the same without Edi E.'s old gum, or Streets of Rage 3 without Roo/Victy. :D

Saturn Memories

Neo Member

It all depends which character you use. Tora makes the game a breeze. If you keep spamming his switchblade attack, no enemy will ever be able to get close enough to attack you and each one that tries will die. I like playing as Rio though. Unfortunately, her late game really sucks since her attacks are so weak and many of her better ones leave her vulnerable.

IrishNinja

Mirage came in! also realized my Fire Pro Wrestling is the neat one i saw on GameSack, time to finally boot that one up haha

also bout to start up Shining Holy Ark soon!

Enjoy!

count me among your subscribers, and i hope you feel free posting links here too! your channel's awesome, man

Finally set my (partial) collection

I called it "The Wall" :D

...fuck me, but that's lovely

my collection have passed 300 titles (and yes, all of them with the spine-card) but I don't have the most expensive titles such as Hyper Duel, Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun
Instead of spending $100+ for a single game I prefer to get 10 or 20 games with the same amount of money.
Never spent $100+ for a single game in my all life, to be honest.

while i believe i've now paid $100+ for 4 games (damn near 5 since launch Phantasy Star IV was like $95 and change....), +1 to buying 10-20 games instead!

PS Anyone have any strong feelings on Dragon Force one way or the other? Seems like a cool game, just unsure if it's among the games worth the higher price tag, etc.

it's high on most lists, and i wanna say dudes like cj_iwakura would prolly say worth owning a saturn for alone, haha...i don't know that i'll get to it this year (with my current Shining kick) but you absolutely can't go wrong with it..hopefully it's not an arm & a leg now?
now that the fan translation's done too, i intend to import part 2 whenever i get around to beating it (all the scenarios!)

MikeMyers

So I went through Sega Saturn Magazine UK to find their review of it, and instead found their Top 50 Saturn Game list. Might be interesting to see:

50. Mass Destruction
49. King of Fighters '95
48. Shining Wisdom
47. Enemy Zero
46. Actua Golf
45. Pandemium
44. Athele Kings
43. Dark Savior
42. Daytona USA CCE
41. Space Hulk
40. Soviet Strike
39. Jonah Lomu Rugby
38. Manx TT Superbike
37. Saturn Bomberman
36. Croc
35. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
34. Baku Baku Animal
33. Bust-a-Move 2
32. Fighting Vipers
31. Sega Ages
30. Bubble Bobble
29. Last Bronx
28. Wipeout 2097
27. John Madden 98
26. Steep Slope Sliders
25. Warcraft 2
24. Sonic Jam
23. X-Men: Children of the Atom
22. Daytona USA
21. Guardian Heroes
20. Night Warriors
19. Quake
18. Shining in the Holy Ark
17. Sonic R
16. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
15. Command and Conquer
14. Worldwide Soccer '98
13. Resident Evil
12. Virtual-On
11. Virtua Cop
10. Street Fighter Collection
09. Tomb Raider
08. Power Slave
07. Marvel Super Heroes
06. Virtua Cop 2
05. Fighters Megamix
04. Duke Nukem 3D
03. Nights into Dreams
02. Sega Rally Championship
01. Virtua Fighter 2

Not bad.

TeaJay

while i believe i've now paid $100+ for 4 games (damn near 5 since launch Phantasy Star IV was like $95 and change....), +1 to buying 10-20 games instead!

I actually feel the opposite nowadays. A few years ago when I was starting my collecting again (yes, I am a late "bloomer"), especially with the NES, I just bought games upon games because they were "classics" or they were cheap, and ended up never even playing them. Now I kinda want games that I have a personal interest in, even if they were more expensive. My collection isn't still very big (I collect Famicom/NTSC NES, SNES, Megadrive/Genesis and Saturn) but I try to strive for quality.

But that doesn't mean I won't look in awe at the Saturn wall with nothing but games with spines.

IrishNinja

well yeah, i mean, get the big classics/white whales where you can, but be in no hurry & pay mo more than you really want to...it's not a stock market, so that way if shit does crash down the road? you still got what you want for what you wanted.

but after those (hopefully few) titles? i really dig branching out & trying the cheaper shit, you find so many gems that way....as bad as the saturn scene (particularly US) has gotten, some fantastic JP ones can be had on the cheap.

case in point: some facebook dude is offering sega ages columns, capcom generation 3 & decathalete for $50 before shipping...i'm too broke right now, but this'd be a fun pack if i wasn't!

I think so, too. This affects MSH vs. SF similarly (but to a much smaller degree). Vampire Savior is curiously inexpensive and easy to find in either flavor. I wonder if all these RAM cart pack-ins were always manual only. I think I've seen some of the SNK ones include a back cover only (Metal Slug?), but maybe that's just two different used items being put together.

My Zero 3 and MSH vs. SF are the regular jewel case releases and honestly I prefer it that way. Not a fan of cardboard at all.

Gyrian

My Zero 3 and MSH vs. SF are the regular jewel case releases and honestly I prefer it that way. Not a fan of cardboard at all.

Agreed. Cardboard doesn't only get beat to crap, it can also become straight up dirty. With CD jewel cases or plastic boxes, there's at a chance to clean things up or replace them with new ones.

I do like the cover artwork more on RAM-pack MSHvsSF, though. :)

WOJB64f.jpg

ntIZ0hb.jpg

Galdelico

I own it, I thought it was great at the time, but Giant Gram eclipses it in so many ways that it is just now in my collection to show how the series evolved. It's cheap though.

That's true, but it still remains a pretty solid wrestling game, in my opinion. It requires time and dedication, though... Definitely not a 'pick-up and have tons of fun right off the bat' kind of thing.
Oh, and in its own right, I think it aged fairly well too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6kB-P8mIE

Top Bottom