• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

But you can't save directly to the AR. It can be a pain in the ass memory managing.

It can be, but you get 16x the amount of space that is on the Saturn's internal memory which offsets the hassle a bit. I think you're fine in most cases besides egregious examples like some of the RPG's that take up around 300 blocks apiece (Saturn's internal memory being under 600). Being anal, I tend to back up any saves to the AR while playing a game and then delete off the internal memory when I'm done.

As for the other poster's comment, it definitely plays imports and is one of the product's biggest boons.

Yeah that's how I do it. When I'm done playing, if a game requires saving, I just reboot my Saturn without a game in it and copy it to the AR. It's like an extra minute after being done playing but it's worth it for everything else the AR brings to the table.

Dazzyman

After getting Street V early I was disappointed with the 1p content so I opened my SFZ3 I got last week and played some arcade. Will be doing world tour tomorrow with Ryu. Really enjoyed it and its vastly improved on the DC version I had :)

I think I will bench SFV until more content comes out.

clem84

Gold Member
Anyone here played both Strikers 1945 1 and 2? I'm wondering which one to get. 2 is apparently more rare and a bit more expensive. Both games look awesome.

Conezays

Anyone here played both Strikers 1945 1 and 2? I'm wondering which one to get. 2 is apparently more rare and a bit more expensive. Both games look awesome.

Got them both and enjoy both. Strikers 1 is cheaper (I believe half price generally) so I'd go with that first to see how you like it.

Timu

You guys ever hear of Street Fighter II: Movie?
giphy.gif

Teknoman

Im kinda surprised that they made an FMV game with fighting segments based on the movie, rather than just a new version of the game with the Cyborg incorporated as a boss character. That and I thought the "based on the movie" game was the only thing.

Is it just me, or does Road Rash kind of suck? I really like the idea and the cheesy ass aesthetic of it, but the bikes kind of handle poorly, which is pretty lousy considering how much time you lose when you wipe out. Also, why the hell don't they play all those Soundgarden songs during the race?

Is it just me, or does Road Rash kind of suck? I really like the idea and the cheesy ass aesthetic of it, but the bikes kind of handle poorly, which is pretty lousy considering how much time you lose when you wipe out. Also, why the hell don't they play all those Soundgarden songs during the race?
Whaaaat? I love that game, it's my favorite next to Road Rash 2. Also if you want music during gameplay, get the Sega CD version, or 3DO. Graphics take a hit tho.

KC-Slater

It can be, but you get 16x the amount of space that is on the Saturn's internal memory which offsets the hassle a bit. I think you're fine in most cases besides egregious examples like some of the RPG's that take up around 300 blocks apiece (Saturn's internal memory being under 600). Being anal, I tend to back up any saves to the AR while playing a game and then delete off the internal memory when I'm done.

As for the other poster's comment, it definitely plays imports and is one of the product's biggest boons.

While I just play on a modded NA Saturn with an official 4MB RAM cart permanently in the cart slot, the connivence of leaving a single cart in place, can't be over stated. Pulling the cart in and out of the Saturn's slot is WAY harder on the hardware than it should be. The only downside to carts such as the PAR, are some compatibility issues with the RAM in rare instances, and not having immediate access to the memory for saves, for Sega Rally replays, for example.

Whaaaat? I love that game, it's my favorite next to Road Rash 2. Also if you want music during gameplay, get the Sega CD version, or 3DO. Graphics take a hit tho.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a better time with it by using L and R to lean into turns instead of outright steering. Seems like the controls are backwards in that regard.

Khaz

The Champagne gold Saturn was a thing of beauty, I'm still gutted it never came to the mass market.

I got a champagne gold USB Saturn Controller to make up for it.

More Saturn appreciation. From the first issue of EGM² - July 1994.
vxxeA3N.jpg

Love that prototype Saturn.

"Gail Racer is very similar to Daytona USA with the track layout and driving views."

Like what?! Some journalism and speculation back in the old gaming magazines are just hilarious.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i find gear drifting in saturn daytona usa impossible, i always overshoot it and end up on the grass in stage 1. in contrast, i can gear drift that turn perfectly on the xbla version and the arcade machine. what gives? was gear drifting changed for this port?

edit
holy fuck the noise it makes when reading your initials and you leave one blank LOL

Dazzyman

I'm going to treat myself to Daytona CE and Sega Rally both JPN next month. I've played them both to death before I sold my collection and need them back in my life :)

Conezays

I'm going to treat myself to Daytona CE and Sega Rally both JPN next month. I've played them both to death before I sold my collection and need them back in my life :)

Enjoy! You can grab both for pretty cheap too.

In other news, I've seen new levels of incompetence and insanity from the mail today: "Delivery Attempt-Item redirected to recipient's new address." I swear someone is trying to steal rare Saturn games in the mail from me :p I gave no such notice about any new address, etc.

Dazzyman

No comfort to u but all my couriers and posties know I'm disabled and have to wait for me to better door :)

What did you order?

After being disappointed with Sfv solo play I'm heavily into arcade on sfz3. Gobsmacked how much better it is than the DC version. Yes it was expensive but I consider it the best sf. Didn't know that it was so much better on the Saturn with the 4mb ram card.

As for shmups to say I never got into Batsugun 9yrs ago when I first collected and so resold it next day I love it. Yes its quite steep prize wise but it is up there with Battle Garraga and you get some massive weaponry.

I keep saying it but the Saturn really is my current fav console. I am looking forward to getting Raiden V on JPN physical release on xbox1 next week tho.

Does anyone fancy a sega rally time trial when I get it again?

Celine

Does anyone fancy a sega rally time trial when I get it again?
Many months ago we did a little time attack competition.

Here the summary by Khaz:
Here is a little recap, if you think you guys can beat some of these scores, or even place reasonably well.
My times, and I assume flohen95's, on Daytona's other tracks are just for fun, I probably have played the tracks once or twice before today. We may want to keep it short and only keep a few select tracks, depending on the participation.
I'll be compiling times for Daytona USA, Championship Circuit Edition (USA, Europe) and Circuit Edition (Japan) together. Same for PAL and NTSC. Unless someone can show me that there are wide discrepancies between the engines or that PAL timing is off.
Oh and please don't forget to mention your car for Sega Rally. I don't mind the Stratos but I think it's only fair if we know what we're racing against.

Sega Rally Championship

Arcade, 1 lap
  1. 3'27"27 khaz (celica, auto)
  2. 3'31"42 flohen95
Arcade, 3 laps
  1. 10'26"43 flohen95
Time attack, Desert 3 laps
  1. 2'42"30 fastest lap 0'53"49 khaz (Celica, auto)
  2. 2'47"62 fastest lap 0'54"35 flohen95
  3. ---------- fastest lap 0'54"00 MoGamesXNA (Celica, manual)

Daytona USA

Arcade, Three Seven Speedway
  1. 2'31"02 fastest lap 0'18"18 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 2'31"07 fastest lap 0'18"17 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 2'31"38 fastest lap 0'17"90 Celine (CE, Magic auto)
Dinosaur Canyon
  1. 3'18"44 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'21"41 fastest lap 0'47"91 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 3'35"02 fastest lap 0'51"53 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
Seaside Street Galaxy
  1. 3'38"44 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'53"64 fastest lap 1'53"95 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 4'05"13 fastest lap 1'59"79 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
National Park Speedway
  1. 3'41"66 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 4'04"00 fastest lap 0'36"69 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. ---------- fastest lap 0'38"96 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
Desert City
  1. 3'33"65 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'50"29 fastest lap 0'53"89 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 3'59"41 fastest lap 0'54"89 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)

[edit] looking good so far! I'll try to get a good time on the other two Sega Rally tracks as soon as someone posts theirs ;)

Voliko

Replayed Elevator Action Returns today. So, so good. Clever and satisfying scoring systems, not too long, smooth soundtrack, those stylish animations, the glorious pixel art, methodical gameplay, limited but deliberate set of actions, consistent and well realized theme, I could go on and on. I really wish there were more games on this level.

I think its only flaw is that the time-limits are too lenient.

Celine

Replayed Elevator Action Returns today. So, so good. Clever and satisfying scoring systems, not too long, smooth soundtrack, those stylish animations, the glorious pixel art, methodical gameplay, limited but deliberate set of actions, consistent and well realized theme, I could go on and on. I really wish there were more games on this level.

I think its only flaw is that the time-limits are too lenient.
Agree, it's a Taito classic.

Gyrian

What's it say in the lid?
It's giving me kind of a Mark III vibe, with a little speech right by where the games go.

ddT9zo6.jpg

That pre-release Saturn is classy as hell, I wish we'd gotten it too. :)

Technically "H -PERFORMANCE CD-ROM/CARTR DGE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM", though I'm not sure why the I's are missing in the top row but not the second.

Dazzyman

Do u all fancy doing a score attack on some shmups?

Wondered if the first one should be Batsugun? Rules are one credit from the start if that's ok?

352700 on original

Conezays

Maybe a less expensive shmup to get more involved, maybe? Darius or Galactic/Layer Section.

I think keeping it to Batsugun, Battle Garegga, or Radiant Silvergun helps to ward off the peasants, no?

Just kidding. I'm down, but I have a tough enough time trying to 1cc these games on Easy, haha. Most of them are still pretty ruthless on the easiest difficulty (Soukyu Gurentai, Battle Garegga, Layer Section, Darius Gaiden, etc).

Dazzyman

The other shmups I got are...

thunderforce gold 1
Thunderforce gold 2
Cotton 2
Strikers 1945 1
Donpachi
souky
Battle Garraga
Sexy paradious
Darius gaiden
Kingdom grand prix
Thunderforce v
Radient silvergun

Will be getting more as from next month :)

Conezays

thunderforce gold 1
Thunderforce gold 2
Cotton 2
Strikers 1945 1
Donpachi
souky
Battle Garraga
Sexy paradious
Darius gaiden
Kingdom grand prix
Thunderforce v
Radient silvergun

Dazzy, we own all the same games. High five! I wish I had some more shmup-inclined friends to play with; my girlfriend is less enthused.

MikeMyers

Samsung Saturn in there too.
Given the Saturn's notorious failure outside of Japan, I've always wondered how the 3rd party Saturn's fared, and what the companies thought of it?

The only quote I've seen from TecToy is this one:

"The Game Gear was an excellent product but quite expensive. So, although it was a sales success, it never reached sales numbers like those of the Master System or Mega Drive, or even the Sega Saturn or Dreamcast."

So,if Game Gear was a sales success, and yet sold less than Saturn, maybe Saturn did do decent there?

piggychan

thunderforce gold 1
Thunderforce gold 2
Cotton 2
Strikers 1945 1
Donpachi
souky
Battle Garraga
Sexy paradious
Darius gaiden
Kingdom grand prix
Thunderforce v
Radient silvergun

I really disliked Kingdom Grand Prix, A hybrid racing shmup.. I just couldn't get into it and sold within a few weeks after being received .

A pyramid of my shewties shot in the dark. Hmmm is Silhouette Mirage a shmup? It's kind of a hybrid of platformer with run and gun elements. (Also prikura daisakusen is another cute isometric run and gun game but I found it too short and it's lack of ambition was again another saturn game that got ebay'd off. As the current prices go I don't think I will ever buy anymore saturn games although Metal Black looks great as does kyutenkai pinball.
A39CA249-828E-46B9-9EA2-FE8148445B9F.jpg

EDIT:

ah another game I ebay'd off was Game Tengoku or The Game Paradise. It's actually pretty decent but very hard. The options are all in japanese but there was an option screen where you alter the gameplay and could slow down some of the bullets and make them larger to see. It makes great use of the saturn's 2D abilities too but again it's very short...

Conezays

I really disliked Kingdom Grand Prix, A hybrid racing shmup.. I just couldn't get into it and sold within a few weeks after being received .

A pyramid of my shewties shot in the dark. Hmmm is Silhouette Mirage a shmup? It's kind of a hybrid of platformer with run and gun elements. (Also prikura daisakusen is another cute isometric run and gun game but I found it too short and it's lack of ambition was again another saturn game that got ebay'd off. As the current prices go I don't think I will ever buy anymore saturn games although Metal Black looks great as does kyutenkai pinball.

Nice collection, piggy! I quite enjoy Metal Black; if you see a good price I don't think you'll be disappointed. Definitely agree with you on Kingdom Grand Prix though. I just can't get into it and definitely think it falls far short of Raizing's other efforts on the Saturn: Soukyu Gurentai and Battle Garegga.

Timu

thunderforce gold 1
Thunderforce gold 2
Cotton 2
Strikers 1945 1
Donpachi
souky
Battle Garraga
Sexy paradious
Darius gaiden
Kingdom grand prix
Thunderforce v
Radient silvergun

Did you 1CC all these games?=p

I'll probably 1CC some Thunder Force games.

Top Bottom