• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

They are fugly....

ah well... might have to mix the topic slightly but I got an addition to the Saturn Cotton family. Not gonna get the other ones this IS enough Cotton!!!

AAA1E0D8-B678-4635-B3AC-4ABC76861DF9.jpg

cotton has to be one the priciest series to collect for, right?

Don't want to overly boast, but very excited on getting a mint copy of this for under $280 US. Already confirmed it works on my NA Saturn with the AR code as well :D Hoping there aren't any issues when it comes to changing discs.

Very nice!
From what I understand , AR doesn't work with disc swapping? Never tried it myself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow that EU Shining Force 3 cover is sexy. So much nicer than the US one (which isn't bad, really, I've seen worse, but it's still clearly inferior).

So if I really enjoyed playing through Fighters Megamix as a Fighting Vipers character, should I consider checking out Fighting Vipers? I don't really know how 1-to-1 FM is to either of the games it takes most of its assets from.

Wereroku

So if I really enjoyed playing through Fighters Megamix as a Fighting Vipers character, should I consider checking out Fighting Vipers? I don't really know how 1-to-1 FM is to either of the games it takes most of its assets from.
If you do get the jpn version. I enjoy them both but can't remember how different they are.

StevieWhite

There are differences, but I think Fighters Megamix more or less can give you the FV experience. If you have a burning desire to play as pepsiman, though, go for it.

The Saturn version was actually my first play through of Symphony. I didn't play the ps version until years later. I'd say it's absolutely playable. The one major(minor) gripe I would have with the Saturn version is how often you want to look at your map. Going into a menu to only to have it take a moment to load up can really feel like a waste of time. However if you're already familiar with the game then it's not going to impede your enjoyment of it.

If it was your first experience with the game, then it's probably fine, but I really dislike it. In the very beginning of the game you fight these giant fire-breathing wolves. They go down in one hit. Their death animation just kills the Saturn. The game slows down like crazy. And yeah, the map is a drag too.

jay

Wow that EU Shining Force 3 cover is sexy. So much nicer than the US one (which isn't bad, really, I've seen worse, but it's still clearly inferior).

I actually printed out the EU cover and put it on top of the US cover of the game in college. I only just recently threw away the old printed cover over a decade later.

Conezays

Very nice!
From what I understand , AR doesn't work with disc swapping? Never tried it myself.

To my knowledge you can get around it. That being said, I'll update and throw a tantrum in this thread if not :p

On a side note, screw people who sign for packages and steal your mail! Currently trying to sort out who took my copies of Blazing Dragons and Thunder Force Vol. 1. Ugh.

piggychan

To my knowledge you can get around it. That being said, I'll update and throw a tantrum in this thread if not :p

I think this is the case. I can't remember whether you need to create another AR code for disc swapping but certainly I don't think I ever had any problems with changing discs and completing UK/EU copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga on a japanese console.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually printed out the EU cover and put it on top of the US cover of the game in college. I only just recently threw away the old printed cover over a decade later.
Haha. I did that with my copy of Suikoden. Printed the JP art to replace that hideous US cover...

Khaz

any recommendations?

A more expensive cable?

The original SEGA cable has ferrites, which greatly minimises background noise. The best is to use a cable with coax wires (each wire being shielded). Afaik only that seller on eBay makes them. But it should be top notch. These sort of cables are common as male-male Scart cables for professional/videophile setups, but no one cared to make them for videogame consoles.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
A more expensive cable?

The original SEGA cable has ferrites, which greatly minimises background noise. The best is to use a cable with coax wires (each wire being shielded). Afaik only that seller on eBay makes them. But it should be top notch. These sort of cables are common as male-male Scart cables for professional/videophile setups, but no one cared to make them for videogame consoles.
this is the only one on ebay which doesnt look like the $5 one, is it what you mean?
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172073969692

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
That's a good one, separating Audio from Video is an effective way to prevent buzzing.

[edit] sorry if my last few posts were sounding harsh. I need some sleep.
FWIW, i already have a converter to separate audio from SCART for my genesis setup. still worth it?

MikeMyers

Oh, I heard only the Japanese version lets you use the original music. Though I wonder if it's the arcade version of those songs, or the music used in the original Daytona port?

Teknoman

On a side note, screw people who sign for packages and steal your mail! Currently trying to sort out who took my copies of Blazing Dragons and Thunder Force Vol. 1. Ugh.

You'd think people who get packaged like those would just have question marks pop up and then try and find a way to "return" the items to the intended. Its not like the average person who does that would even have a use for Saturn stuff, let alone anything retro related / know what it was aside from some old game.

Khaz

FWIW, i already have a converter to separate audio from SCART for my genesis setup. still worth it?

If this is what I'm thinking about, your converter doesn't separate the audio, it duplicates it. You still have audio wires running in your cables picking up interferences. This cable on the other hand has no internal audio wire.

Conezays

You'd think people who get packaged like those would just have question marks pop up and then try and find a way to "return" the items to the intended. Its not like the average person who does that would even have a use for Saturn stuff, let alone anything retro related / know what it was aside from some old game.

Agreed, I would definitely put an unknown package back in a mailbox ASAP. Also weird is that I got packages with Saturn games that day, including a delivery notice for Panzer Dragoon Saga. Side grieveance: I love when you're home all day and the mail person just sticks the notice on the door and doesn't bother to ring.

Teknoman

Agreed, I would definitely put an unknown package back in a mailbox ASAP. Also weird is that I got packages with Saturn games that day, including a delivery notice for Panzer Dragoon Saga. Side grieveance: I love when you're home all day and the mail person just sticks the notice on the door and doesn't bother to ring.

YES. Aw man lol.

Khaz

Side grieveance: I love when you're home all day and the mail person just sticks the notice on the door and doesn't bother to ring.

Even if you were to catch your mail guy, you would probably find that he never took the package with him to begin with, only the prefilled slip while the actual packaged stayed at the post office for the whole time.

Conezays

Even if you were to catch your mail guy, you would probably find that he never took the package with him to begin with, only the prefilled slip while the actual packaged stayed at the post office for the whole time.

Lol, you know I'd never even thought of that. Thanks for reducing my faith in the postal service even more :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Side grieveance: I love when you're home all day and the mail person just sticks the notice on the door and doesn't bother to ring.
I fucking hate that. Once caught the guy doing it, I heard him drop the package and went to the door and caught him leaving. He was all "oh... I rang and there was no one". Like fuck you, no you didn't, I was right there. Lying to my face, really pissed me off.

Khaz

Lol, you know I'd never even thought of that. Thanks for reducing my faith in the postal service even more :p

Yeah, it's not that they can't be bothered to ring, they are actively avoiding it. This is what I found while talking about it at the post office. They can't / don't want to carry all the parcels so they start their day by filling a whole bunch of slips and delivering them instead.

At least they are not giving your stuff to a neighbour or leaving it at your door, at the mercy of anyone to take it away.

KC-Slater

$25 for Cyberbots...yeah, or nah?

Now that I have had the chance to put some time in to it, I'd say it's worth it. It plays different enough from other Capcom fighters, and it has wonderful art direction. The selectable mechs make up for the lack of playable characters. It's fun and a neat part of Capcom's history. Buy.

Teknoman

That's...huh. Probably so.

I personally would say go for an action replay 4 in 1 plus over a memory card. Those are like everything built into one, memory card, ram cart for 4 and 1 meg chips, if I remember right it lets you play imports.

Top Bottom