• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Technically "H -PERFORMANCE CD-ROM/CARTR DGE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM", though I'm not sure why the I's are missing in the top row but not the second.

I've got other pictures of the system. The I's are present.

siilw3o.jpg

cj_iwakura

Literally using the ones found on Gamefaqs?

Considering how cheap the game is I'll try it.
Yes, literally. I printed it out, as many others did. It's a very easy game, and the guide makes choices a cinch. Just be prepared for when the LIPS choices appear, you don't get much time to react.

MikeMyers

The Sakura Wars choice system. You have a very short period of time in which to decide a response or else the character assumes you're not saying anything.

http://i.imgur.com/H7bjXLS.png[img]

When the steam runs out, you get glared at. It's also in So Long, My Love.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fowBkLI.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Interesting. Rarely play RPG's but I'm curious about this one.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
And the SG1000 II

And the Master System's hilarious incorrect digram

And the Mega Drive

Sega just loved having english language nonsense on top of their Japanese consoles.

The diagram on the Master System is the best imo, really makes you wonder what they were thinking. Makes me so sad we dont have Sega in hardware anymore :(

Khaz

Nah, it's the flow of awesomeness, that goes from the cartridge or the card, through the powered system, with the addition of control 1 and control 2, to the TV.

StevieWhite

Reading through the manual for Street Racer Extra (well, not really reading, it's in Japanese), it looks like you can get a 10 player split screen going on via two multitaps. That sounds crazy and unplayable... that being said, has anyone here tried it?

Reading through the manual for Street Racer Extra (well, not really reading, it's in Japanese), it looks like you can get a 10 player split screen going on via two multitaps. That sounds crazy and unplayable... that being said, has anyone here tried it?

You sure? Says 8 player on the back of the box. I've tried 8 player once with a group, but the Saturn version is kinda bad so everybody wanted to play more Saturn Bomberman instead after 1 go :p

StevieWhite

You sure? Says 8 player on the back of the box. I've tried 8 player once with a group, but the Saturn version is kinda bad so everybody wanted to play more Saturn Bomberman instead after 1 go :p

Thought I saw 10, but I won't swear to it. I'll take a look tonight! Even 8 sounds unplayable.

Gyrian

I've got other pictures of the system. The I's are present.

siilw3o.jpg

It's so beautiful. ;_;
I wonder if anyone has tried to customize one?
Maybe we could persuade Rose Colored Gaming to try replicating this.

And the SG1000 II
And the Master System's hilarious incorrect digram
And the Mega Drive
Sega just loved having english language nonsense on top of their Japanese consoles.

I love this nonsense! It adds some character, in a really odd sort of way.

So how much does S-Video improve the image over Composite when hooked up to an HDTV? My CRT doesn't have S-Video, but my HDTV does. I figure that Composite/CRT will still look better, but does S-Video/HD at least look decent?

Timu

So how much does S-Video improve the image over Composite when hooked up to an HDTV? My CRT doesn't have S-Video, but my HDTV does. I figure that Composite/CRT will still look better, but does S-Video/HD at least look decent?
Hell yeah it does...quite better than composite.

D.Lo

wow, I never knew Satakore SFZ1 had different art

tumblr_o2nww3uPvq1v74pvdo1_1280.jpg
That's Zero 2, and it has different cover art because it's a different game - Zero 2 Dash, which was also released as part of Street Fighter Collection, so when they did the budget release they made it the upgraded dash version.

MikeMyers

Sega Saturn Magazine UK covered EX at one point though, so I gotta wonder if a Saturn version was considered.

We did get a 3D Final Fight game though, lol.

IrishNinja

That's Zero 2, and it has different cover art because it's a different game - Zero 2 Dash, which was also released as part of Street Fighter Collection, so when they did the budget release they made it the upgraded dash version.

what all did that change?

Huh in my height of collecting SF games I had not heard about this Saturn release of SFZ2Dash. Is it like most Saturn games now adays going for too much money?

One of these days I need to take a picture of my Saturn collection, it's a pretty healthy mix of US and Japanese games.

Tizoc

Karin is my favorite character, and I'm still not interested in V. People need to stop rewarding laziness.
Sf5's release is more rushing to meet a deadline way insee it

At any rate, what is the status of saturn emulation atm?

Huh in my height of collecting SF games I had not heard about this Saturn release of SFZ2Dash. Is it like most Saturn games now adays going for too much money?

One of these days I need to take a picture of my Saturn collection, it's a pretty healthy mix of US and Japanese games.
That 2nd one is very likely the updated ver of sfz2-
Sf alpha 2 gold aka sf zero 2 alpha p
Psone release of it came with a 2nd disc ft. The cps2 street fighter 2 games

SFZ2Dash is on Street Fighter Collection. Disc 1 is Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge (AKA Super Turbo in the NA release) and Disc 2 is SFA2Dash (AKA Alpha 2 Gold in the NA release)

Ahhh I have the SF Collection discs, would explain why I didn't chase after it then. Memory was failing me, it's been a long time since I was searching out that stuff.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I was hoping to get a few more Saturn USB controllers. Is there a trusted source for these? Do I have to be concerned about cheap knockoffs?

jerry1594

I was hoping to get a few more Saturn USB controllers. Is there a trusted source for these? Do I have to be concerned about cheap knockoffs?
You mean the ones from 2004? You'll just have to wait for them to pop up on ebay or yahoo.

Related, does anyone know if it's possible for them to work on a PS3 to PS4/Xbox One/360 adaptor? I know they work on PS3 but I get the feeling they won't on those other consoles with an adaptor.

jerry1594

Damn, is that the only time they appeared? I have a pair and I love them, was hoping to get more..
Well it depends. Do you mean the ones that are exactly the same as the actual Saturn controller with a usb cable, or the white and blue ones with Club Sega on the middle?

Top Bottom