• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

jerry1594

The select button really makes a difference. Too bad the SLS USB controllers don't have one. It would make a lot more games playable that have tertiary function keys like that.
For me the dpad just feels the best. The select button is good too though. Wish there was a good solution to use it on 360 and possibly Xbox one for Cuphead.

MikeMyers

Didn't know Discotek was releasing this...

CcGSwlhUEAA7-hl.jpg

Looks like Dreamcast was based of the protagonist of Space Channel 5 while Saturn was based of NiGHTS. Who do you think Mega Drive was based of?

D.Lo

Didn't know Discotek was releasing this...

Looks like Dreamcast was based of the protagonist of Space Channel 5 while Saturn was based of NiGHTS. Who do you think Mega Drive was based of?
She's a 'nerd' because the Mega Drive was only for 'nerds' (old school arcade fans?) in Japan.

Galdelico

What's the bonus disc in the Japanese version?
It's basically an advanced training mode.

Even though the Saturn port is solid and totally remarkable, if you're looking for a true Last Bronx experience at home - and you can play Japanese games on your PS2 - I always recommend the SEGA AGES 2500 port. It's among the best volumes in the series, as it can be played at different resolutions and at a faithful 57.5hz (other than classic 60). It's a straight arcade port, so it lacks all the extras to be found in the Saturn LB, but it adds little touches thanks to the more powerful hardware, such as the opportunity to play with two metal characters at the same time.

Playing Outrun for the first time in smooth 60 fps mode with the Saturn wheel. It works really well! Love this game, one of my favorites from AM2.
Also playing with the arrange soundtrack and I think I like it better than the arcade version.

SeHa girls was so fucking good spoilers
that ending ;_;

I'll totally buy it on Blu. I heard a crossover game with the Neptunia franchise is coming as well.

Galdelico

And my brand new, Japanese copy of Enemy Zero I odered last weekend, arrived today. It was meant to replace my old copy, which had the nice 3D front cover, but came with a pretty ugly spine card and no registration card at all.
Since my idea was to simply stick the holo-cover into the new copy, I was wondering: did the first print of the game come with the 3D insert over the standard paper sheet, or just with the former alone (Satakore doesn't really help in this regard)?

Voliko

Playing Outrun for the first time in smooth 60 fps mode with the Saturn wheel. It works really well! Love this game, one of my favorites from AM2.
Also playing with the arrange soundtrack and I think I like it better than the arcade version.
I think the arcade OST is untouchable, but the arrange soundtrack on the Saturn version is surprisingly good.

televator

Yeah, the fact that I type in Sega Saturn in Craigslist, and get 1 or 2 returns is telling. I live in a big city valley, and there's not a whole lot of Saturn consoles to go around. Seller's market.

Does Action Replay work on a Japanese Saturn to play US games?
I actually just recently got a working Japanese Saturn and I have Action Replay so I could test it myself, but I kind of don't want to take it out of the slot on my US unit. I hear that it can get damaged pretty easily.

Yeah, the fact that I type in Sega Saturn in Craigslist, and get 1 or 2 returns is telling. I live in a big city valley, and there's not a whole lot of Saturn consoles to go around. Seller's market.
Same. The retro store I visit never had any Saturn titles. I asked if any come in and he said never. Unless he's BSing me and sells them on EBay, which could very well be.

JLynn

Same. The retro store I visit never had any Saturn titles. I asked if any come in and he said never. Unless he's BSing me and sells them on EBay, which could very well be.

I gave up going to Retro stores for Saturn stuff. The majority has the same three games. NHL 97, NBA feat Kobe Bryant, and Black Fire. It was a miracle I got Manx TT and STCC from a store a few years ago.

StevieWhite

If you live around Philly, Classic Gaming Junkie in Glenside usually has a good bit. Selection is always weird though. Loads of import DC games as well.

If you live around Philly, Classic Gaming Junkie in Glenside usually has a good bit. Selection is always weird though. Loads of import DC games as well.
I live right outside of Philly but have yet to make my way there. Good to know thanks. I sometime visit Jay St in Plymouth Meeting or King of Prussia, but since they downsized, not much is there.

IrishNinja

damn, i wish we had that here in MIA - there's one guy that sells saturn imports occasionally, but most times he mentions AGES/capcom collection type shit id be after, i show up and he's mostly got H stuff

StevieWhite

I live right outside of Philly but have yet to make my way there. Good to know thanks. I sometime visit Jay St in Plymouth Meeting or King of Prussia, but since they downsized, not much is there.

You should come to the Philly thread! CGJ is good, they have a location in Westchester as well. They have some weird stuff. The selection is downright puzzling at times, though. About 5 copies of Dark Wizard for SCD last time I was there.

televator

I installed my mod chip at last. Hopefully, I didn't fuck it up. So far, it boots normal games well. Now I need to... Ah... create a backup of a game I already own.
mark-mcgwire-on-the-simpsons-o.gif

IrishNinja

so Burning Rangers is on hold, trying to power my way through where i left off in the towers/tail end of Albert Odyssey to clean this backlog a bit tonight!

I installed my mod chip at last. Hopefully, I didn't fuck it up. So far, it boots normal games well. Now I need to... Ah... create a backup of a game I already own.
mark-mcgwire-on-the-simpsons-o.gif

enjoy man! you can now also enjoy fan translations of stuff like Shining Force III scenarios 2 & 3, or premium disc, if you're down for that! oh, and weird builds of sonic xtreme too, haha

Khaz

there's a way to flash a Pro Action Replay to play imports and...stuff.

The Pseudo Saturn bootloader? Yeah that's cool, you can play your copies without a modchip, but you still need a modded saturn to install the stuff into the Action Replay.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/saturn-proof-of-concept-bootloader-pseudo-saturn.52526/
I don't think it bypasses the region-lock though, you still need to patch the iso you create from your original import disc.

The Pseudo Saturn bootloader? Yeah that's cool, you can play your copies without a modchip, but you still need a modded saturn to install the stuff into the Action Replay.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/saturn-proof-of-concept-bootloader-pseudo-saturn.52526/
I don't think it bypasses the region-lock though, you still need to patch the iso you create from your original import disc.

not according this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/comments/32rerh/easy_guide_to_play_backupsimports_on_saturn/

do need to unscrew it and tape a switch though

televator

I use my Pseudo Saturn for THE EXACT SAME THING.

It's not THE EXACT SAME THING though. You still need an action replay which, for my purposes, only gets in the way. I want to use the SNK RAM cart specifically for some SNK games that don't play well with the AR cart. Specifically, Metal Slug which a lot of Saturn owners wrongly accused of being a bad port plagued with slow down. Little do they know, that it requires the HSS-0150 RAM cart to run smoothly.

Galdelico

I stumbled upon a very nice copy of Rabbit, but I remember a fellow gaffer - was it you, sixteen-bit? - stated it's a crappy port from the arcade original. Do you mind giving me a few more details? There aren't many Rabbit-arcade videos on YouTube, and the Saturn version - especially once the zoom feature is disabled - doesn't seem to play terribly bad, in comparison (at least, it doesn't immediately scream 'garbage', like Fatal Fury 3 or Waku Waku 7). It's not a case of 'I really want the game, so I'll buy it anyway', but it's complete and in very nice conditions, at a reasonable price, plus I'm always intrigued by obscure Saturn exclusives... If it's total crap, I won't mind and just forget about it, though.

StevieWhite

It's not THE EXACT SAME THING though. You still need an action replay which, for my purposes, only gets in the way. I want to use the SNK RAM cart specifically for some SNK games that don't play well with the AR cart. Specifically, Metal Slug which a lot of Saturn owners wrongly accused of being a bad port plagued with slow down. Little do they know, that it requires the HSS-0150 RAM cart to run smoothly.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I wasn't really criticizing the use of a mod board, so much as I was winking and nodding at the backups comment. Hope I wasn't misconstrued.

I stumbled upon a very nice copy of Rabbit, but I remember a fellow gaffer - was it you, sixteen-bit? - stated it's a crappy port from the arcade original. Do you mind giving me a few more details? There aren't many Rabbit-arcade videos on YouTube, and the Saturn version - especially once the zoom feature is disabled - doesn't seem to play terribly bad, in comparison (at least, it doesn't immediately scream 'garbage', like Fatal Fury 3 or Waku Waku 7). It's not a case of 'I really want the game, so I'll buy it anyway', but it's complete and in very nice conditions, at a reasonable price, plus I'm always intrigued by obscure Saturn exclusives... If it's total crap, I won't mind and just forget about it, though.

Please don't let me stop you. This is the only home port afterall and I don't feel like it's worth tracking down the PCB for the game. It's not like it's a tentpole title in the fighting genre or anything.

Galdelico

Please don't let me stop you. This is the only home port afterall and I don't feel like it's worth tracking down the PCB for the game. It's not like it's a tentpole title in the fighting genre or anything.
Oh nono, don't worry. I was wondering if it was a case of objectively craptastic quality - in wich case I wouldn't feel bad at all to just ignore the game and look somewhere else - or more something like 'not quite arcade accurate, yet still enjoyable in its own right'.
And yeah, unfortunately - or luckily enough, depending on how you look at it :D - I'm not a PCB/arcade collector, so the Saturn version would be my only way to go.

TeaJay

Can I just say that even though people often bash Saturn's 3D (in comparison to PS1) I've played a lot of Bulk Slash lately and it just puts a lot of 3D games of that era to shame. Such a fun game with great music and controls.

Khaz

Specifically, Metal Slug which a lot of Saturn owners wrongly accused of being a bad port plagued with slow down. Little do they know, that it requires the HSS-0150 RAM cart to run smoothly.

Eh I'm not so sure about that. I have an old Action Replay with the Parallel port on top, which needed a hardware patch for some games. I compared the slowdowns before and after soldering the wire, and with an official 1M RAM cartridge, and saw no difference. It has slowdowns at some points, one very noticeable being the stone slope with two tanks right before the first boss.

Maybe it has some terrible slowdowns everywhere with some other version of the 4M Action Replay and that would be what people are talking about, but in my experience the game has some slowdowns which were not corrected by changing cartridge.

piggychan

Can I just say that even though people often bash Saturn's 3D (in comparison to PS1) I've played a lot of Bulk Slash lately and it just puts a lot of 3D games of that era to shame. Such a fun game with great music and controls.

I wish I grabbed that when it was much cheaper. Graphics look great and Hudson Soft should deserve better credit for the games they bought out for the Saturn.

Just got an S-Video cable in for my Saturn, and man, the difference from composite is like you guys said it was. Thanks for the input.

now if only I had a CRT with S-Video

IrishNinja

tied up Albert Odyssey last night! went back in, and damn....the encounter rates in those towers are rough, but that S&M chick fight is brutal. also, 3 forms of a final boss with no break to heal is a total crapshot...it looks & sounds great by me, but it's still in the "good for a b-tier RPG" category. fun game, and in that pre/just post FF VII window of people playing stuff like Wild ARMs/etc, i would've been all over it - but those looking to pay $100+ for it in 2k16, i hope you've already exhausted Saga/Dragon Force/better stuff, is all. not to disparage it, but it's not at the top of the pile, you know?

gonna see if i can run through Burning Rangers before 4 in februrary runs out, then it's either tie up the PSX RPGs i got far in (Grandia, Arc) or maybe MKR here, not sure yet!

Top Bottom