• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Im not sure if this seller is a genius or a lunatic, but he/her has Panzer Dragoon saga boxed disks one and two as one listing, and disk 3 boxed as another listing. They are both about to end shortly as well.
Hopefully someone misses out on the first listing and buys the 2nd out of spite.

disk 3

disks 1 and 2

Galdelico

Is it true that the internal save CR2032 battery only lasts 19 days if the conosle is unplugged?

I saw a blog post where someone soldered in a AA holder and used eneloops instead to get longer life. I might do the same if true.

Mh, I keep my Saturn unplugged, when I don't use it, yet I change the battery once a year and it's still running, when I swap it.

Khaz

Is it true that the internal save CR2032 battery only lasts 19 days if the conosle is unplugged?

I saw a blog post where someone soldered in a AA holder and used eneloops instead to get longer life. I might do the same if true.

No, it lasts a year or two. Definitely not enough though, you want to backup your stuff every time you're done with it.

IrishNinja

yeah, i pretty much keep everything on the RAM cart & try to leave that in there fulltime anyway, for fear of messing with the cart slot!

So what other games have issues with the Action Replay RAM? I can live without Metal Slug, but if there's a bunch that don't run right with it then I guess I should look into the region mod.

Galdelico

So what other games have issues with the Action Replay RAM? I can live without Metal Slug, but if there's a bunch that don't run right with it then I guess I should look into the region mod.
I don't think there is one game that won't work at all, with the Action Replay Plus. There are 1MB games that won't run 100% fine with the official 4MB cart, though: http://www.satakore.com/cartridge.php

I own a late ARP model - one of those white carts with the parallel port/thingy on top - which is perfectly compatible with Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Zero 3. It never gave me a single issue with CAPCOM games, as well as with Groove on Fight, Cotton 2 and Astra Superstars, but it happens it doesn't get detected by Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, or that it shows messed up sprites/corrupted graphics in Real Bout Fatal Fury. Usually, turning off and on again the system helps to sort these problems out.

Roge_NES

289951a510081bf7013e0d7f5bad6db5_large.jpg

Got this baby yesterday at my local used videogame store, it has a bit of yellowing on the lid so I'll give it the Retr0brite treatment, seems like the internal battery needs a replacement too since the date or language settings don't save.

Got it along with Pocket Fighter and X-Men Children of the Atom, unfortunately they didn't have any 4MB catridges, but I just ordered Marvel vs Street Fighter from Ebay and it includes it.

Now all I need is an RGB Scart cable and a custom controller cable so it works with the PS360+ Stick PCB.

Has anyone tried this Scart Cable from Amazon? Any thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKLIY3E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Khaz

Has anyone tried this Scart Cable from Amazon? Any thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKLIY3E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a cheap cable. Serviceable, but expect a lot of background audio interference. Ask the seller if it's made for PAL or NTSC consoles, iirc European consoles had a different pinout making their cable incompatible with consoles from the US and Japan.

[edit] It's a shit cable that will still wow you because RGB, as per the Amazon comments. Using this cable with a $50 HDMI "upscaler" is the worst you can do for your RGB picture quality, and yet it's still thousand times better than the best Composite.

[edit 2] Sorry, these comments from clueless ecstatic people tend to trigger me.

i will pick up VF2 and FIghter's Megamix for sure. They're both nice and cheap!

I'll be on composite for a few days before my rgb cable arrives from retro gaming accessories.

hope nothing is fucked with my system. Paid $75 for a boxed model 2 console with manuals. Seemed good.

Roge_NES

It's a cheap cable. Serviceable, but expect a lot of background audio interference. Ask the seller if it's made for PAL or NTSC consoles, iirc European consoles had a different pinout making their cable incompatible with consoles from the US and Japan.

[edit] It's a shit cable that will still wow you because RGB, as per the Amazon comments. Using this cable with a $50 HDMI "upscaler" is the worst you can do for your RGB picture quality, and yet it's still thousand times better than the best Composite.

[edit 2] Sorry, these comments from clueless ecstatic people tend to trigger me.

Thanks for the advise, I'll just wait it out a bit and get one from Retro Game Accessories once she's back on Ebay. Solaris Japan actually sells Jap-21 cables, but I haven't tried them yet with the Xrgb Mini.

televator

That sounds like an easy fix on its face, but don't the batteries provide different voltages?

2032s are 3v

MikeMyers

Is the music in Daytona USA CE Japanese Version the ones used from the arcade Daytona USA, or the ones used from the Saturn Daytona USA?

Really excited to try out CE!

Galdelico

Got it along with Pocket Fighter and X-Men Children of the Atom, unfortunately they didn't have any 4MB catridges, but I just ordered Marvel vs Street Fighter from Ebay and it includes it.
MSHvsSF is amazing - easily one of my favorite CAPCOM fighting games on the Saturn - but you wouldn't have any trouble playing your games, since neither X-Men and Pocket Fighter require the 4M expansion. It's optional with Pocket Fighter, wheras Children of the Atom came out in the pre-RAM era, which is a shame, as it noticeably suffers from cut animations, compared to the beautifully smooth arcade original (plus it has fantastic stages that never got reused in the sequels).

Saoshyant

Does anyone know anything about this stick?

I bought one of these seven years ago and it's performed well and all, but due to being third party (and old as hell) I cannot seem to find any information in detail about it. Like, if someone were to ask me what parts are in my Madcatz TE I would know perfectly. If someone were to ask me what parts are in this Hori SS I would have no idea what to say.

For example, I've always been curious how it compares to the Virtua Stick.

I bought one of these seven years ago and it's performed well and all, but due to being third party (and old as hell) I cannot seem to find any information in detail about it. Like, if someone were to ask me what parts are in my Madcatz TE I would know perfectly. If someone were to ask me what parts are in this Hori SS I would have no idea what to say.

I think Hori used their own proprietary parts up until PS3/360 gen.

Roge_NES

I have the Neo Geo equivalent of that stick, it's made from HORI as you can tell from the picture, both buttons and stick are in the medium range in terms of quality, they don't feel like cheap knockoffs, but they don't feel like Sanwa or Seimitsu either.

I think the Virtua Stick it's way better and easier to mod.

I think Hori used their own proprietary parts up until PS3/360 gen.

The original HRAP came out in the PS2 gen, but yeah most of their sticks used crappy clone parts. Even the HRAPs used Hori buttons only the lever was Sanwa.
Exclusions were SA and SE designation HRAPs which had full Sanwa or full Seimitsu respectively.

televator

2x AA is 3v.

Ah, in that case, yeah, it'll work very well. Plus, the mAHs are much higher. Like 15-20x higher than a 2032. It might be comparable to how long batteries in your TV remote last.

Edit: actually, since voltage is multiplied, the mAh rating doesn't really increase. Still it's significantly higher capacity than a 2032.

Conezays

Well I've sunk a few more hours into Exhumed/Powerslave. It's really quite an impressive FPS for the Saturn, especially given it was released in 1996. It's got decent level design, secrets, and a unique atmosphere. The only real downside is it has some fairly cheap 3D platforming segments with death resulting in starting the entire level over. Regardless, it's a cool game and worth checking out IMO; PAL version runs fine on an NA Saturn as well (with the Action Replay).

Well I've sunk a few more hours into Exhumed/Powerslave. It's really quite an impressive FPS for the Saturn, especially given it was released in 1996. It's got decent level design, secrets, and a unique atmosphere. The only real downside is it has some fairly cheap 3D platforming segments with death resulting in starting the entire level over. Regardless, it's a cool game and worth checking out IMO; PAL version runs fine on an NA Saturn as well (with the Action Replay).
Yeah the platforming sections can be brutal, but it's a good game overall.

Khaz

A quick heads up to our new Saturn owners; yamatoku on ebay has put up a few auctions bundling the AM2 fighting games together for what's still essentially just the cost of shipping. Might be a decent starting point for you if you don't have any of them!

Dat shipping tho

There are better bundles around, but it's difficult to search for them as often the titles are not even in the description. Find an importer with low shipping prices and stroll through their catalogue, you can find some great undocumented or misspelled gems. Most SEGA arcade games can be had for next to nothing.

saturn and rgb cables arriving on the same day, tomorrow

copy of batman forever arcade arriving today. don't ask questions, it's awesome. should be better than the ps1 version since the arcade ran on titan.

saturn and rgb cables arriving on the same day, tomorrow

copy of batman forever arcade arriving today. don't ask questions, it's awesome. should be better than the ps1 version since the arcade ran on titan.
I'll ask questions. Could you let me know how the game is and if it's beatable with one player. I've been eyeing this game for a while now but it doesn't show up often. When it does, its priced pretty high. I only do CIB with Saturn games because I have an unhealthy attraction to the Saturn long box.

MikeMyers

I'll ask questions. Could you let me know how the game is and if it's beatable with one player. I've been eyeing this game for a while now but it doesn't show up often. When it does, its priced pretty high. I only do CIB with Saturn games because I have an unhealthy attraction to the Saturn long box.

Yeah it is unhealthy to love the inferior box. :)

yeah, i bought it incomplete and in crap condition for $40. the game is expensive on both systems. DOS version is cheap but I couldn't get it to run above 30fps in DOSbox.

I've played the PS1 version a fair bit. I beat it one player credit feeding with the 5 or 6 credits they give you and I am going for 1cc with the saturn version. The game is extremely cheap because any enemy can lock you in an instant death combo, but you can cheese them right back. I like robin for his dive kick and spin kick move (which is qcf+attack.) Batman has better ground combos, but being on the ground is just extremely risky. dive kick everything, the answer to any game with a dive kick.

It's a crazy ass game. Not very good, but definitely very ridiculously crazy, which makes it fun.

Roge_NES

MeXSKyn.jpg

Got a couple things in the mail today including MSH vs SF and
the Scart cable from Amazon.

Khaz was right, these cables are really slim and it does include audio inference, I play using a home theater so it's only noticeable during silence, don't really mind it, and for $10 + Prime shipping I can't really complain either.

But just a heads up for other people who might consider them buying them.
I'd recommend waiting for the Ebay girl to come back and buy them from there or get the Jap-21 Variant from SolarisJapan.

Is the Japanese version of deep fear easy to understand for a non Japanese speaker/reader? I am debating buying a UK version for the full English. I know it's expensive compared to the Japanese version, but I'm looking at playthroughs on YouTube and it seems like you miss out on a big chunk of the game.
I am a big old school resident evil fan, and it looks exactly like it, so I have no real problem with the cost of the English version.
I can see a Japanese version for about £30 and the auction I am watching is at about £130 with 3 days left, so I'm expecting it to head north of £150. Is that the going rate of it?

GenG3000

One question for those who have the Saturn version of Capcom Generation 2 (the Ghost and Goblins series one).

Can you save backups for Super Ghouls and Ghosts at the options menu? Sometimes my console just freezes at the "saving" screen and I have to turn it off. It only happens with SGnG. Goblins and Ghouls are fine. Is this a problem of my "backup" of the game or is it a common save glitch/bug? I have ordered a real copy from Japan but I cannot test until it arrives in a month or so.

EDIT. I tested it out and it isn't that the console freezes but that it sometimes takes up to 15 minutes. Strange.

^^^^^
Ebay girl is not the only way to go, though.
This guy is also excellent: http://www.ebay.com/usr/thefoo.83, and as far as I know, Retro Gaming Cables ships worldwide.

Yeah I got mine from Retro Gaming Cables and they work great no audio buzz or other issues.

In fact as of right now all of my RGB cables (Saturn, SNES, Genesis, and Neo Geo AES) have come from Retro Gaming Cables, as does my SCART to Framemeister adapter. I've got nothing but positive things to say about them.

televator

Yeah I got mine from Retro Gaming Cables and they work great no audio buzz or other issues.

In fact as of right now all of my RGB cables (Saturn, SNES, Genesis, and Neo Geo AES) have come from Retro Gaming Cables, as does my SCART to Framemeister adapter. I've got nothing but positive things to say about them.

I got the Saturn Scart cable and the Scart to JP21 adapter from them. They work as they should, have useful labels on them, and the build quality is sturdy. Great option for when you just can't seem to catch a moment where Retro console accessories has stock of the cable you've been keeping an eye on for a few months. lol

I got the Saturn Scart cable and the Scart to JP21 adapter from them. They work as they should, have useful labels on them, and the build quality is sturdy. Great option for when you just can't seem to catch a moment where Retro console accessories has stock of the cable you've been keeping an eye on for a few months. lol

I really like that they have the labels on them. They look nice too, and for me who doesn't have a switch box it's nice to know which scart end goes to what.

Top Bottom