• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

tied up Albert Odyssey last night! went back in, and damn....the encounter rates in those towers are rough, but that S&M chick fight is brutal. also, 3 forms of a final boss with no break to heal is a total crapshot...it looks & sounds great by me, but it's still in the "good for a b-tier RPG" category. fun game, and in that pre/just post FF VII window of people playing stuff like Wild ARMs/etc, i would've been all over it - but those looking to pay $100+ for it in 2k16, i hope you've already exhausted Saga/Dragon Force/better stuff, is all. not to disparage it, but it's not at the top of the pile, you know?

gonna see if i can run through Burning Rangers before 4 in februrary runs out, then it's either tie up the PSX RPGs i got far in (Grandia, Arc) or maybe MKR here, not sure yet!

Thanks for the impressions. I can't imagine it being worse than my experience with Legend of Oasis :p It looks nice but it is just such a bore and stands in stark contrast to lots of the games on the system which are just outright fun. I have Albert Odyssey, but not sure if I'm ready to jump into a long JRPG after a slew of them over the past few months.

IrishNinja

Thanks for the impressions. I can't imagine it being worse than my experience with Legend of Oasis :p It looks nice but it is just such a bore and stands in stark contrast to lots of the games on the system which are just outright fun. I have Albert Odyssey, but not sure if I'm ready to jump into a long JRPG after a slew of them over the past few months.

it's not super long, and pacing is okay...encounter rate felt like it varies wildly sometimes, haha. but yeah, if you're a bit exhausted, i'd come back when the itch returns later - it's fun, it's just not doing anything different, you know?
like, i was worn out on JRPGs and gave The World Ends With You a go, and loved the crap out of it for many reasons...this one's firmly rooted in its era; there's some character development as you go, but it's basically an existential crisis that only the nearly-muted hero can solve, along with a ragtag band of different creatures. the only changes to the formula are the jokey/innuendo stuff (sometimes dialogue options, which can be fun) that have Vic Ireland's pawprints all over them, and god knows if you're not down for that, this one can be rough, haha.

again, don't mean to disparage it - it's worth a playthrough! - it's just not doing much you havne't seen done before, is all

Good stuff.

You know, I don't think that I mind WD taking liberties too much, based off of my experience with them (which is admittedly just Popful Mail and Shining Wisdom). It only really becomes a problem to me when they just decide to ratchet up enemy health and stuff like that to make it harder.

IrishNinja

Good stuff.

You know, I don't think that I mind WD taking liberties too much, based off of my experience with them (which is admittedly just Popful Mail and Shining Wisdom). It only really becomes a problem to me when they just decide to ratchet up enemy health and stuff like that to make it harder.

agreed 100%
me & Mzo differ here; i don'd mind bland NPC/etc dialogue fucked with, even dated stuff like Clinton jokes...i just don't mind that take on localization sometimes, i guess. i'm heavily biased cause i loved the shit out of Lunar 1/2 on my sega-cd when my local TRU in the day had fuckall to offer for it, haha

but stuff like Silhouette Mirage & what ive read of Elemental Gearbolt/Exile i think it was? that kinda fuckery is awful, some of those games were fundamentally broken in the name of fighting EB/etc return policies. that's infinitely harder to forgive, for me.

IrishNinja

And to think WD lowered the encounter rate significantly.

...jesus, i'd hate to see what it was at before
it's not just challenge, it's tedium...i grinded a bit here & there as i do with stuff from that era, so most encounters weren't too bad, even dumping magic on groups, because the mages get super-high MP amounts & items to restore them are plentiful too...but stuff like, say, Mother zero? i don't even enjoy it without the easy patch; if i can't walk 5 steps without an encounter - particularly in a game like this where i felt fights took too long to load/get moving - it wears you down, and you stop playing. like i did for a while there.

Khaz

How much time does it take to finish and how tedious are the battles? I was really bored of Lunar 2 after a while, I couldn't care about the battle system and I stopped before the end of the epilogue. I suppose I'm not really a fan of this kind of RPGs.

IrishNinja

wow, the 3d/analog controller really does make a difference in Burning Rangers...at least for me! i love the balls off the model 2 pad, but i feel like im fighting with this thing less

How much time does it take to finish and how tedious are the battles? I was really bored of Lunar 2 after a while, I couldn't care about the battle system and I stopped before the end of the epilogue. I suppose I'm not really a fan of this kind of RPGs.

wow, really? i havne't replayed 2 since the PSX remake, but it's in my personal top 10...ill look up my time if you want, i tend to take a bit longer than it says on howlongtobeat, and im very rarely a completionist too...ill say this though: i know the epilogue drags a bit (its way worse in Tales of Vesperia, i thought! and i also loved that one)...this is definitely shorter than that, but i feel it's got a lot less of the charm, personally. you'll likely be able to push past, but the final dungeon rush does take some grinding, and i don't know that you'll enjoy the ride as much as Lunar 2.

...man, i really feel like i'm trashing this game, but i swear i'm not. i blame the 7-10 review culture! this'd be a 6-7 in my book, and that's not a bad mark...again, it just means i'd not really go after it unless you've already played through the better ones in the genre for the saturn.

...man, i really feel like i'm trashing this game, but i swear i'm not. i blame the 7-10 review culture! this'd be a 6-7 in my book, and that's not a bad mark...again, it just means i'd not really go after it unless you've already played through the better ones in the genre for the saturn.

Nah. The game really clicked with me for some reason so I would rate it higher. That tower did sour the experience a bit, but I still enjoyed the game overall.

televator

Eh I'm not so sure about that. I have an old Action Replay with the Parallel port on top, which needed a hardware patch for some games. I compared the slowdowns before and after soldering the wire, and with an official 1M RAM cartridge, and saw no difference. It has slowdowns at some points, one very noticeable being the stone slope with two tanks right before the first boss.

Maybe it has some terrible slowdowns everywhere with some other version of the 4M Action Replay and that would be what people are talking about, but in my experience the game has some slowdowns which were not corrected by changing cartridge.

The game can't address the 4M memory correctly, and just doesn't work correctly with anything other than the SNK RAM. Here's an article about it.

Conezays

it's not super long, and pacing is okay...encounter rate felt like it varies wildly sometimes, haha. but yeah, if you're a bit exhausted, i'd come back when the itch returns later - it's fun, it's just not doing anything different, you know?
like, i was worn out on JRPGs and gave The World Ends With You a go, and loved the crap out of it for many reasons...this one's firmly rooted in its era; there's some character development as you go, but it's basically an existential crisis that only the nearly-muted hero can solve, along with a ragtag band of different creatures. the only changes to the formula are the jokey/innuendo stuff (sometimes dialogue options, which can be fun) that have Vic Ireland's pawprints all over them, and god knows if you're not down for that, this one can be rough, haha.

again, don't mean to disparage it - it's worth a playthrough! - it's just not doing much you havne't seen done before, is all

Fair enough, sounds like a decent game. I'd like to check out the Saturn Lunar ports, but my understanding of Japanese is pretty poor; wish I remembered more from the 2 years I did in high school! I might finish off Exhumed before attempting another Saturn RPG at the moment. Finished King's Field 4, Yakuza, and Skies of Arcadia over the past couple months so it's not like I'm starving for good RPG's :)

kess

I wish I grabbed that when it was much cheaper. Graphics look great and Hudson Soft should deserve better credit for the games they bought out for the Saturn.

The Saturn wasn't really ever going to put out Ridge Racer Part 4, but it never deserved to get crucified in the West on graphical prowess. A lot of Japanese games did just fine with the Saturn's 3D and the difference is negligible to the layman today.

TeaJay

After Bulk Slash I took on Keio Flying Squadron 2. (excuse the phone pic.)

That game sure ranks pretty high on "what the f*k is going on" meter, I tell you what. I barely accepted the fact that a giant mechanical crab abducted me, but then I was solving puzzles in an airship (including using a giant hand to click a button as fast as I can) and the stage ended with a boss fight against a badger driving a giant humanoid-loooking waste disposal unit.

Even for a japanese game this is crazy.

But it's a really fun game. I love the colorful graphics, the music, and the japanese folk imagery. Also I'm willing to bet that the raccoon with big balls will make an appearance at some point (or was he that statue in the first stage?) because what strange japanese game is complete without him.

PFbCija.jpg

IrishNinja

wow, Keio 2 looks kinda cool!

Fair enough, sounds like a decent game. I'd like to check out the Saturn Lunar ports, but my understanding of Japanese is pretty poor; wish I remembered more from the 2 years I did in high school! I might finish off Exhumed before attempting another Saturn RPG at the moment. Finished King's Field 4, Yakuza, and Skies of Arcadia over the past couple months so it's not like I'm starving for good RPG's :)

yeah, i picked up Lunar 1 & 2 on saturn when hit-japan or whoever had em for a few bucks, but they're not the versions that support the MPEG or whatever vid card plug-in, so there's that
brought some cool stuff with em though

piggychan

wow, Keio 2 looks kinda cool!

yeah, i picked up Lunar 1 & 2 on saturn when hit-japan or whoever had em for a few bucks, but they're not the versions that support the MPEG or whatever vid card plug-in, so there's that
brought some cool stuff with em though

Only lunar 1 was released in two versions. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete is the one that requires the VCD card otherwise it will not run without it.
lunarcomplete-f.jpg

Lunar 2 runs full screen without any additional VCD/MPEG card.

cj_iwakura

I finished AO in around 43 hours on my replay. Be glad it has all those battles, it's a pretty tough game. You'll need the levels.

Actually saw a mint copy today at a local comic shop. $150.

So I just bought a Saturn this weekend. Never got to own one as a kid. So because this is my first experience with the console, a couple really dumb questions: Whats up with the little door on the back? Whats the communication connector for? The games are on CD... I need a memory card don't I?

Almost every game I'm interested in is at least $150 on ebay. The heck man

So I just bought a Saturn this weekend. Never got to own one as a kid. So because this is my first experience with the console, a couple really dumb questions: Whats up with the little door on the back? Whats the communication connector for? The games are on CD... I need a memory card don't I?

heh, just ordered one too.

and a pro action replay because fuck a lot of these prices.

Someone had Virtual Hydlide on amazon for $1.99 though, so why the hell not, it'll be good for a laugh.

and I got a disc only copy of Batman Forever Arcade for $40, which is way too much but I want to 1cc and screw around with the game. It's nutty.

Gyrian

Congrats! The little door on the back is mainly for access to the little battery that preserves your internal clock, settings, and saves. There's an expansion port there too for things you are extremely unlikely to ever want to set up, like MPEG or photo CD. While you can rely on the Saturn's internal memory for saves, it's worth looking at a cart for that since they'll feature much larger capacity. Finally, on game prices, many releases are much cheaper to import so that could be a viable alternative for you. What are some examples you were set on?

IrishNinja

welcome new saturn owners!

lemme violate the shit outta the TOS right quick and push you to consider modding your saturn to play burns - want a US working designs RPG? its gonna cost more than your system + mod. want to experience Panzer Dragoon Saga? it might be more than your TV's worth now.

i love OG software, but fuck the bubble & resellers - experience these gems where you can, and welcome to the one of the most toxic communities for purchases in 2016 since the turbografx!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
protip:
buy VF2
it's like $2 and it's a technical marvel! runs at a higher framerate than the arcade version too.

tumblr_nr55h9eFxt1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nr558eHMb71slig2vo1_400.gif

lemme violate the shit outta the TOS right quick and push you to consider modding your saturn to play burns - want a US working designs RPG? its gonna cost more than your system + mod. want to experience Panzer Dragoon Saga? it might be more than your TV's worth now.

i love OG software, but fuck the bubble & resellers - experience these gems where you can, and welcome to the one of the most toxic communities for purchases in 2016 since the turbografx!

It's worth pointing out to people that don't want to mod their Saturns that you can use an Action Replay or GameShark (which is a cheaper alternative, although you don't get the RAM that an AR has) as a surrogate modchip using PseudoSaturn.

Also, fun fact: I only bought a Saturn because the emulation of it is still so bad. I've definitely been enjoying my time with it, though.

Attention New Saturn owners, welcome! As you prepare Uranus for the outrageous prices of most US copies online, let me list the Japanese versions that can be found much cheaper. Cut & paste from this site here. As mentioned earlier an Action Replay card is needed to play imports.

House of the Dead is a great example of this. US copy selling for $150-$175 JP selling for $20-$25.

A: Playable without knowing Japanese. May contain English menus and gameplay that is easy to figure out on your own, or just be so straight forward that the Japanese doesn't make a difference

B: Playable without knowing Japanese for the majority of the game. The game may contain areas which require you do know Japanese, but are not essential to beating the game.

C: Difficult to play without knowing Japanese. The game can be played without Japanese knowledge for the most part, but without knowledge of Japanese, parts of the game may be near impossible to beat. This may be due to minigames involving the Japanese language, or scenes where the character tells you what you have to do next.

D: Unplayable without knowing Japanese. These games are near all text, and require you to know Japanese, or have a translation guide.

Games with a [US] tag beside them were released in the US as well as Japan. Games with a [EU] tag beside them were released in PAL regions (Europe, Australia, New Zealand).

Here's the list:

A:
After Burner II
Angel Paradise Vol. 1; Sakaki Yuko Koinouokan in Hollywood
Angel Paradise Vol. 2
Astal [US]
Asuka 120% Burning Fest Limited
Baku Baku Animal [US] [EU]
Batsugun
Battle Garegga
Blast Wind
Bubble Symphony
Capcom Generation 1
Capcom Generation 2
Capcom Generation 3
Capcom Generation 4
Capcom Generation 5
Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams... [US] [EU]
Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Daibouken Gekan [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Clockwork Knight 2)
Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Daibouken Joukan [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Clockwork Knight
Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Fukubukuro
Coin Puzzle Moujiya
Columns Arcade Collection
Cotton 2
Croc! Pau Pau Island [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos)
Darius Gaiden [US] [EU]
Darius II [US] [EU]
Daytona USA [US] [EU]
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition [US] [EU]
Dead or Alive
DecAthlete
Destruction Derby [EU]
Detana Twinbee Deluxe Pack
Die Hard Trilogy [US] [EU]
Digital Dance Mix Vol. 1: Namie Amuro
DoDonPachi
DonPachi
Dynamite Deka [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Die Hard Arcade)
F1 Live Formation
Fantasy Zone
Fighters History Dynamite
Fighters Megamix [US] [EU]
Fighting Vipers [US] [EU]
Gale Racer
Garou Densetsu 3
Ghen War [US] [EU]
Girls in Motion vol.2: Body Special 264
Golden Axe: The Duel [US] [EU]
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Grid Runner [US]
Guardian Force
Gun Frontier: Arcade Gears
Gussun Oyoyo Zoku
G-Vector
Hang On GP '95 [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Hang On GP/Hang On GP '96)
House of the Dead [US] [EU]
Hyper Duel
K-1 Fighting Illusion
Keio 2: Flying Squadron [EU]
King of Fighters '95 [EU]
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters Best Collection
Konami Antiques: MSX Collection Ultra Pack
Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus
Last Bronx [US] [EU]
Layer Section [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Galactic Attack)
Layer Section II
Lost World: Jurassic Park [US] [EU]
Manx TT Super Bike [US] [EU]
Marvel Super Heroes [US] [EU]
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Metal Black
Metal Slug
Mizubaku Adventure
Mortal Kombat II [US] [EU]
Mr Bones [US] [EU]
Night Striker S
NiGHTS into Dreams... [US] [EU]
O-Chan no Oekaki Logic
Panzer Dragoon [US] [EU]
Panzer Dragoon II [US] [EU]
Pocket Fighter
Power Drift
Puzzle Bobble 2X [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Bust-a-Move 2 Arcade Edition)
Puzzle Bobble 3 [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Bust-a-Move 3
Puyo Puyo Sun
Puyo Puyo Tsuu
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury Best Collection
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Salamander Deluxe Pack
Samurai Spirits Best Collection
Saturn Bomberman Fight!
Sega Rally Championship [US] [EU]
Sega Rally Championship Plus
Sega Touring Car Championship [US] [EU]
Sexy Parodius
Shienryu
Side Pocket 2
Silhouette Mirage
Sonic Jam [US] [EU]
Sonic R [US] [EU]
Soukyugurentai
Soukyugurentai Otokuyo
Space Harrier II
Steep Slope Sliders [US] [EU]
Stellar Assault SS
Street Fighter Collection [US] [EU]
Street Fighter: Real Battle On Film [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Street Fighter The Movie)
Street Fighter Zero [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams
Street Fighter Zero 2 [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Street Fighter Alpha 2)
Street Fighter Zero 3
Suiko Enbu
Suiko Enbu: Fuun Saiki
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Super Puzzle Fighter II X [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo)
Super Tempo
Tama
Three Dirty Dwarves [US] [EU]
Thunder Force Gold Pack 1
Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Thunder Force V
Toshinden S [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Battle Arena Toshinden Remix)
Toshinden URA [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Tryrush Deppy
Twinkle Star Sprites
Vampire Hunter [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge)
Vampire Savior
Virtua Cop [US] [EU]
Virtua Cop 2 [US] [EU]
Virtua Fighter [US] [EU]
Virtua Fighter 2 [US] [EU]
Virtua Fighter Kids [US] [EU]
Virtua Fighter Remix [US] [EU]
Virtua Racing [US] [EU]
Virtual On [US] [EU]
Wangan Dead Heat
Whizz [EU]
Willy Wombat
Wing Arms [US] [EU]
World Cup 98' France ~Road to Win~
World Heroes Perfect
X-Men: Children of the Atom [US] [EU]
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Yakyuu Ken Special
Zap! Cool Snowboarding Trix

B:
Akumajo Dracula X Gekka no Yasoukyoku
Aquazone: Desktop Life
Arcana Strikes
Assault Suit Leynos 2
Blue Seed
Burning Rangers [US] [EU]
Crows
Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu
Dungeons & Dragons Collection
Drift King '97
Fire Pro Gaiden: Blazing Tornado
Fire Pro Wrestling S: 6 Men Scramble
Gakkou no Kowai Uwasa Hanako San Ga Kita!!
Guardian Heroes [US] [EU]
Gungriffon [US] [EU]
Gungriffon 2
Kanzen Chuuki Pro Yakyuu: Greatest Nine
Linkle Liver Story
Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren no Yabou: Kouryaku Shireisho
Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 1-3
Nekketsu Oyoko
Pu.Ri.Lu.Ra
Ronde
Sakura Taisen Columns (translation guide for Story Mode available here)
Sakura Taisen Steam Radio Show
Saturn Bomberman [US] [EU]
Sea Bass Fishing [EU]
Space Invaders (Single player is straightforward, multiplayer less so)
Street Fighter II Movie
Tenchi Wo Kurau
Togue King: the Spirits
Togue King: the Spirits 2
The Tower
Universal Museum
Virtual Hydlide [US] [EU]
Zoop

C:
Air Management 96'
Air's Adventure
Assault Suit Leynos 2
AZEL: Panzer Dragoon RPG [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Panzer Dragoon Saga)
Baroque
Bomberman Wars
Biohazard [US] [EU] (a.k.a. Resident Evil)
Cyber Doll
Dark Savior [US] [EU]
Deep Fear [EU]
Dezaemon 2
Enemy Zero [US] [EU]
Feda Remake
Grandia (translation guide available here)
J.B. Harold Blue Chicago Blues
Kidou Senkan Nadesico: Yappari Saigo wa [Ai ga Katsu] ?
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Z
Myst [US] [EU]
Nanatsu no Hikan
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 2nd Impression
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digital Card Library
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Eva to Yukai na Nakamatachi
Pachinko Collection (C-D)
Princess Crown
Prisoner of Ice
Pro Yakyuu Greatest Nine '98
Riglord Saga
Rouka Ni Ichidant-R
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers
Shin Samurai Spirits Bushido Retsuden
Shining Force III Premium Disc
Shining Force III Scenario 2
Shining Force III Scenario 3
Shining Wisdom [US] [EU]
Shinsetsu Yume Mitaka
Shukudai ga Tanto R
Sim City 2000 [US] [EU]
Steamgear Mash
Super Robot Wars F
Sword & Sorcery
Theme Park [US] [EU]
Wanchai Connection

D:
Advanced World War
Atelier Marie
Cebu Island '96
Chaos Seed
The Conveni 2
Dinosaur Island
DX Jinsei Game II
DX Nippon Tokkyu Ryokou Game
Falcom Classics
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Gotha
Gotha II
J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 2
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu S
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo: Hoshimitou Kanashimi no Hukushuuki
Langrisser III
Langrisser V: The End of Legend
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Mahjong Gokuu Tenjiku
Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren No Yabo
Momotaro Douchuuki
Mouri Motonari: Chikai no Sanshi
Nanatsu no Shima Monogatari
Neon Genesis Evangelion Iron Maiden
Nobunaga no Yabou Tenshouki
Nonomura Byoin no Hitobito
Quovadis
R?MJ The Mystery Hospital
Real Sound: Kaze no Regret
Phantasy Star Collection
Princess Maker 2
Riglordsaga 2
Sakura Taisen
Sakura Taisen 2
Senkenki Kyouden
Sentimental Graffiti
Sotsugyou II: Neo Generation
Super Robot Wars F
Tactics Ogre
Tengai Makyou: Daishi no Mokushiroku The Apocalypse IV
Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You
Virus
Winning Post EX
Wizardry VI and VII Complete
World Advanced Daisenryaku: Koutetsu no Ikusakaze
Yumimi Mix Remix

For anybody who was curious how Asuka 120% Limit Over plays, Vincent Diamante (Skullgirls) and Brandon Sheffield (Necrosoft, Gamasutra, Insert Credit) uploaded a stream so y'all can see how it compares to Asuka 120% Limited Burning Fest.

New supers, new effects, new recovery options to make an already superb game play faster and every character viable.

It also has all the bosses from Final (were they in Limited?), but they're all kinda slow, overpowered and not as fun as the rest.

For anybody who was curious how Asuka 120% Limit Over plays, Vincent Diamante (Skullgirls) and Brandon Sheffield (Necrosoft, Gamasutra, Insert Credit) uploaded a stream so y'all can see how it compares to Asuka 120% Limited Burning Fest.

New supers, new effects, new recovery options to make an already superb game play faster and every character viable.

It also has all the bosses from Final (were they in Limited?), but they're all kinda slow, overpowered and not as fun as the rest.

Cool beans. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Congrats! The little door on the back is mainly for access to the little battery that preserves your internal clock, settings, and saves. There's an expansion port there too for things you are extremely unlikely to ever want to set up, like MPEG or photo CD. While you can rely on the Saturn's internal memory for saves, it's worth looking at a cart for that since they'll feature much larger capacity. Finally, on game prices, many releases are much cheaper to import so that could be a viable alternative for you. What are some examples you were set on?

Thanks. I actually already ordered the Action Replay because apparently I need that to play imports, right?

First games I ordered are Sega Rally Championship and Galactic Attack, and currently bidding on Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition. I was hoping to get like, Metal Slug, Radiant Silvergun, and Guardian Heroes, but jeez. Maybe this Summer when I get a little bit more disposable income.

I see the ffirst couple Panzer Dragoon games are a little cheaper, but whats up with Saga? Hilarious prices online

Any other shmups I should look into? I love Raiden, so anything like that I'm 100% down for.

Khaz

currently bidding on Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition

Stop bidding now and get the superior Japanese edition. It's a better, later release that has better gameplay and the original audio tracks in addition to the remixes. The game is entirely in English too.

Stop bidding now and get the superior Japanese edition. It's a better, later release that has better gameplay and the original audio tracks in addition to the remixes. The game is entirely in English too.

As long as its in English, roger that. Think I'm going to pick up Bust-a-Move 2 or 3 also. Which is better?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i really really really want to play Elevator Action Returns and Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru.
if you dont want to spend a billion dollars on EAR, it's on taito legends 2 for the ps2 (along with other expensive saturn games like metal black and gekirindan)

Even if you do decide to collect the physical media
(which, c'mon, who cares. It only benefits resellers and scalpers)
, it's still handy to mod your Saturn to play burns so you can rip the disc, patch the region of the game, burn it, and play it with a more reliable RAM cart or backup cartridge. F that Action Replay ish.

Gyrian

Thanks. I actually already ordered the Action Replay because apparently I need that to play imports, right? I was hoping to get like, Metal Slug, Radiant Silvergun, and Guardian Heroes, but jeez. Maybe this Summer when I get a little bit more disposable income.

If you do find Metal Slug, which can occasionally be had for a reasonable price, do keep in mind that it's more prone to slowdown with that Action Replay cart than if you could use the real HSS-150 1mb cart. It's not the worst price to pay when you look at what can happen with other SNK releases and garbaged sprites. Haven't looked up US Guardian Heroes in a while, but the Japanese version can also be found at OK prices if you can live with below average condition or missing spine/reg cards.

Think I'm going to pick up Bust-a-Move 2 or 3 also. Which is better?

I've got Puzzle Bobble 2 and it is excellent! Rather cheap, too, even brand new.

PS2 version has issues

Right, but oneida is helpfully pointing out that Taito Legends 2 is a pretty viable alternative given the Saturn price tag. I can't even remember the last time I saw EAR Saturn under $100. Or $150, even?

KC-Slater

The game can't address the 4M memory correctly, and just doesn't work correctly with anything other than the SNK RAM. Here's an article about it.

I own Metal Slug (it was the second import Saturn game I bought new, and my third longest owned game in my current collection) and while the slowdown with both the official 4MB RAM cart and the PAR is real, it simply isn't worth removing the cartridge after you have it positioned in its 'sweet spot' to plug in the 1MB cart. Maybe I'm just used to the slowdown by now (I owned the 4MB cart before the 1MB, so that's my barometer) but I feel like every time I remove or insert a cart, it's like playing Russian roulette with the Saturn...

Is it true that the internal save CR2032 battery only lasts 19 days if the conosle is unplugged?

I saw a blog post where someone soldered in a AA holder and used eneloops instead to get longer life. I might do the same if true.

IrishNinja

man, jake's post oughta be linked in the OP, it's so handy

#retrogaming problems

#realtalk

Even if you do decide to collect the physical media
(which, c'mon, who cares. It only benefits resellers and scalpers)
, it's still handy to mod your Saturn to play burns so you can rip the disc, patch the region of the game, burn it, and play it with a more reliable RAM cart or backup cartridge. F that Action Replay ish.

yeah, i likewise modded my dreamcast - swap discs/action replays are fine, but i like putting in stuff from any region and just playing!

Top Bottom