• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

televator

I... Uh... Don't play JRPGs.

giphy.gif

Tain

I... Uh... Don't play JRPGs.

giphy.gif

I don't really play traditional JRPGs, either, and it's been a loooong time since I played Saga (like, since it came out lol), but Saga's honestly pretty light on the stuff I dislike about them. Might be worth a playthrough even if you don't like the genre.

televator

I'm just highly selective for some reason. I just can't sit down and play something that isn't grabbing me. I don't even call myself a collector anymore. I'm just a guy with a bunch of game I know I like. lol

It's rather depressing how expensive Saturn games have become over the last few years. I really need to get myself a time machine and hit up Funcoland ASAP

Conezays

I'm sure it's got some great RPGs, but the Saturn always seemed like an arcade-centric system at heart to me.

I agree with this. It's got some cool games in other genres but arcade games (shmups and fighters especially) are the Saturn's main pull.

EDIT: Good point about the Japanese RPG list trouncing the west though, Piggychan. I think I have all the major NA Saturn RPG's barring Magic Knight Rayearth. Glad we at least got an English Soul Hackers port...on the 3DS :D

piggychan

I'm sure it's got some great RPGs, but the Saturn always seemed like an arcade-centric system at heart to me.

There are a lot, shame they exist mostly in japan....

and I think there is equal amounts of RPGs for the Saturn to arcade ports. These are some of them.. probably about 60%

Airs Adventure
Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku/SoTN
Albert Odyssey Legend of Eldean
AnEarth Fantasy Stories: First Volume
Bakuretsu Hunter R
Baroque
Black Matrix
Blue Breaker: Ken Yorimo Hohoemi o
Blue Seed
Bouken Katsugeki Monomono
Cyber Doll
Dark Savior
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II
Dungeons and Dragon Collection
Falcom Classics 1
Falcom Classics 2
Genso Sukoiden
Grandia
Grandia Digital Museum
Guardian Heroes
Langrissa series
Legend of Heroes I & II
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Lunar Magic School
Lunar Silver Star
Madou Monogatari
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mystaria: The Realms of Lore/Blazing Heroes/Riglord Saga
Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
Ogre Battle - March of the black Queen
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Policenaults
Princess Crown
Riglord Saga 2
Sakura Taisen
Sakura Taisen II
Shining Force III trilogy
Shining in The Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Slayers Royale
Slayers Royale 2
Snatcher
Soul Hackers
Super Robot Taisen F series
Tactics Ogre - Let us cling together
Tengai Makyou IV - the apocalypse
The Story of Thor 2/Legend of Oasis
Vandal Hearts
Virtual Hydlide
Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon
Warcraft II
Watchenroder

cj_iwakura

I think we got some of the standouts, but damn am I sad we didn't get Sakura Wars.

Damn Bernie Stolar. No fast food job dirty enough for that fool.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I enjoy the game on the controller. Just did a session actually.

Tried DOA1. Game is okay, but I think I'd rather just stick to Sega's own fighters.

D.Lo

I have a third party gun which is compatible with Saturn and PS1 (all gun types, eg Justifier as well as Guncon) with automatic fire and auto reload.

Funnest way to play!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yes, don't let anybody tell you different. Lightgun is the weapon of choice tho.
sometimes I prefer the controller because holding the gun up the entire game makes my arms tired. Getting old sucks

Yeah, I enjoy the game on the controller. Just did a session actually.

Tried DOA1. Game is okay, but I think I'd rather just stick to Sega's own fighters.

Glad to know this, I actually own it but havent played it since the crt went in the basement.

Virtua Cop 2 on Windows can be played with the mouse. It's not enjoyable.
Too damn easy

Lol.

TeaJay

I just wanted to mention here that 3-player co-op on Three dirty dwarves is pretty damn fun. Especially if the players are kinda like the main characters.

televator

i know lots of people gave you shit here, televators...i just wanted to say congrats on saving hundreds (if not thousands!) on US saturn games with this stance!

+1 all day

Haha! I do sometimes think about that. I feel like I dodged a bullet. I'd probably have 3x as many games to hunt down if I were a big JRPG nut. The closest I've ever come is Folklore on PS3, but the art style and mood of the game has a lot to do with my enjoyment of it. Plus it's real time action.

Timu

I definitely saved money on not getting all those JRPGs, I mean, I like em but not love em and Saturn has a lot of arcade style games which I prefer.

Balb

Do the Mega Man X games not translate well to the Saturn controller? I'm playing Rockman X3 for some reason and I'm having trouble adjusting to the controls.

MikeMyers

Saturn collection! fuck me, i wish idve taken this bit more seriously before 2013...

Damn. How many banks did you rob to afford that?

I have some games that are disc-only. Namely Die Hard Arcade, Sonic 3D Blast, Virtua Fighter 2, and X-Men Vs. Street Fighter. Kinda bugs me.

Timu

I don't CIB games since I'm not a collector plus it would be expensive to do that nowadays, I just get games I want and is interested in but has to be in a working condition because the game matters more to me than anything else.

MikeMyers

Oh, right before Alpha 2.

Also, I need a Sega Rally case too. It'd be nice to get the cases, but I really don't wanna spend the money.

IrishNinja

Damn. How many banks did you rob to afford that?

hah! ill be paying off some purchases for a while to come, but i got lucky on most - the only games ive payed $100+ for to this day are Saga, Snatcher, Rayearth and Shining Force III, so i don't feel too bad!

MikeMyers

Fortunately I'm in the camp that got the Saturn for its arcade games, so I don't have to pay much....

BIR1nL6.jpg

But the disc-only ones just make my collection look unclassy. Especially that Die Hard Arcade.

IrishNinja

i hear ya (im missing some manuals too), but you've got a lotta classics right there! and if it bothers you enough, you can always get a sports game & cut it for the case/print out a high-res cover, that's what i did for Burning Rangers!

MikeMyers

Yeah, I got lucky in the sense I bought literally very title I really wanted.

EXCEPT VIRTUA FIGHTER 3

One thing I thought about doing is just buying stuff like the Japanese version of VF2 for cheap and using that as the case, ha.

Top Bottom