• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Oh, I don't really count what Amazon sells games for, usually, I go by eBay auctions.

One of which ended yesterday at $156 or so, so okay, it's still... "sane", I guess.

Although I'm amused by the guy trying to sell a copy of the Japanese game for $200 BIN.

Timu

Oh, I don't really count what Amazon sells games for, usually, I go by eBay auctions.

One of which ended yesterday at $156 or so, so okay, it's still... "sane", I guess.

Although I'm amused by the guy trying to sell a copy of the Japanese game for $200 BIN.
I don't use ebay auctions at all personally.

I don't use ebay auctions at all personally.
I'd prefer not to, but it's frequently cheaper an option to be patient and snipe an auction than to opt for Buy It Now or Amazon.

That said, it gives me butterflies in my stomach like nothing else, since the timing is rather tight and there's still plenty of room for somebody to outbid me.

IrishNinja

That's crazy, copies have sold for under $200 in March, I bought a nice CIB copy about 5 months ago for $160.

Must be impatient / foolish people blowing their tax refund.

literally my exact guess, yeah
and i recall missing a CIB for $120 in february, so you know this shit is silly...but watch, it'll be perceived as that much for a while, at least till people stop paying it. looks like that one got away, at least for a while to come!

speaking of: just saw Panic! on sega-cd go for $90+...so much for recommending that one to people as a fun, cheap non-sequitor thing

I'd prefer not to, but it's frequently cheaper an option to be patient and snipe an auction than to opt for Buy It Now or Amazon.

That said, it gives me butterflies in my stomach like nothing else, since the timing is rather tight and there's still plenty of room for somebody to outbid me.

I have found some really good deals by sorting BIN to Newly Listed. Some people just want to dump and not play with auctions.

Noahd41

Neo Member
Shinobi Legions - yay or nay? I beat Revenge and Shadow dancer and am looking for my fix. I already have 3 on Genesis lined up

IrishNinja

Shinobi Legions - yay or nay? I beat Revenge and Shadow dancer and am looking for my fix. I already have 3 on Genesis lined up

if you can get it for a fair price: yay
it took a beating in the day & people mock the cutscenes, but it's legit! if you've got the double-jump down from Revenge, you should be in for a treat.

Wait you had these alll this time???? I remember hating them!
sega-saturn-controller.jpg

Am I bad for actually thinking it's not so bad, it's far from a terrible controller imo?! It's just that when you have the Mark 2 controllers it's rendered the least favourite to pick up and play when I do a Saturn session or two. Since I'm in Euroland my picture of the Saturn's main controller will always be that Mark 1 controller, thinking it looked way cooler than the PS1's controller.

Khaz

Yay. Very cool game behind funky graphics, and the six buttons gameplay is a great addition to the Super Shinobi series. One of my favourites.

ACESmkII

What do you guys think of Groove on Fight? And will it not with my Action Replay since its a 1MB game?

It is a very fun fighter with very unique characters. It's a lot darker in tone that previous Power Instinct games. Unfortunately its missing quite a bit of frames of animation from the STV release and there is a bit of loading time between matches as well. I Still love it though.

Have you ever owned a PlayStation or N64? *

• Yes, I owned a PlayStation during its heyday (1995-2000).
  • Yes, I owned an N64 during its heyday (1996-2001).
  • Yes, I owned both systems during their heydays.
  • Yes, I owned a PlayStation after the system's heyday.
  • Yes, I owned an N64 after the system's heyday.
  • Yes, I owned a PlayStation during its heyday but only later bought an N64.
  • Yes, I owned an N64 during its heyday but only later bought a PlayStation.
  • No, I have never owned either of these consoles.

...where's "Yes, I owned both after their heydays"

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Have you ever owned a PlayStation or N64? *

• Yes, I owned a PlayStation during its heyday (1995-2000).
  • Yes, I owned an N64 during its heyday (1996-2001).
  • Yes, I owned both systems during their heydays.
  • Yes, I owned a PlayStation after the system's heyday.
  • Yes, I owned an N64 after the system's heyday.
  • Yes, I owned a PlayStation during its heyday but only later bought an N64.
  • Yes, I owned an N64 during its heyday but only later bought a PlayStation.
  • No, I have never owned either of these consoles.

...where's "Yes, I owned both after their heydays"

Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up! You should be able to edit your survey responses, btw.

Khaz

- How many Saturn games do you own? > 2500
Oh my, are there even that many, counting all the regional variations and limited/rereleases editions?

- Would you purchase a device similar to the Game Freak or Retron5 if it supported Saturn gaming?
We agree that you are talking about software emulation boxes, not FPGA recreations and such?

- Which dormant Sega-published Saturn IP would be the best candidate for a slightly enhanced HD port?
The list is missing Sega Rally, but has a bunch of games like Nights, Virtual On, Daytona USA which already had slightly enhanced HD ports.

I kind of wanted to suggest Clockwork Knight, since I really loved 2...

I mean, I went with Panzer Dragoon Saga where applicable, since that's genuinely my favorite, but man, I have such fond memories of Clockwork Knight 2.

Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up! You should be able to edit your survey responses, btw.
Not that I can tell.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
- How many Saturn games do you own? > 2500
Oh my, are there even that many, counting all the regional variations and limited/rereleases editions?

If I remember correctly it's actually something somewhere between 1,100-1,300 Japanese titles. Dunno why I I put 2,500 in there. I guess someone might have dupes or be collecting for multiple regions.

- Would you purchase a device similar to the Game Freak or Retron5 if it supported Saturn gaming?
We agree that you are talking about software emulation boxes, not FPGA recreations and such?

Yes, I'm very much aware. That's why that question was asked right after the emulation questions. Hell, the Retron5 is just running off stolen code from popular emus.

- Which dormant Sega-published Saturn IP would be the best candidate for a slightly enhanced HD port?
The list is missing Sega Rally, but has a bunch of games like Nights, Virtual On, Daytona USA which already had slightly enhanced HD ports.

Originally, there was only one question asking respondents if they'd be interested in a "brand new game." I knew Sega Rally had one a few years ago on either PS3 or 360, so I didn't include it. I eventually decided I wanted to ask a variation of the same question (HD port), so I duplicated the same question, but forgot to remove a few games and add Sega Rally back in. Whoops.

televator

I kind of wanted to suggest Clockwork Knight, since I really loved 2...

I mean, I went with Panzer Dragoon Saga where applicable, since that's genuinely my favorite, but man, I have such fond memories of Clockwork Knight 2.

Not that I can tell.

On the Other hand, Panzer Dragoon is the correct answer. So you did the right thing.

Nearly busted up my Garegga CD when I dropped it the other day, luckily it was unscatthed.

Can someone give me a heads up on how I can rip the disc and then burn it on CDR?

Bear in mind that I have a Mac. - Im sure that there was a really short terminal command that allowed you to rip a disc.

The next step would be to burn that image correctly to a CDR, again preferably using a standard built in app - disk utility?

Top Bottom