• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

It mildly bothers me that late-life games like Burning Rangers actually added imagery of that abomination of a controller for their menus and tutorials, instead of sticking with the Japanese/Model 2 controller that'd long since rolled out in the West at that point.

MikeMyers

Today is the 20 year anniversary of:

zweijp.jpg

ACESmkII

I have a Neo Geo CD, but in general the load times just have me picking up the Saturn ports instead, lol. I did that with Galaxy Fight and KOF '97

Yeah, I had a Neo CDZ back in the late 90's with Samurai Spirits and KOF 97. The load times were ridiculously unbearable. Me and my friends would draw some weird ass stuff between matches.

Is that game difficult? I know 2 was harder than 1 for me.

About the same as WH2 and Jet as far I as can remember. Typical 90's psychic CPU silliness. I've been playing a bit of Groove on Fight as well and the CPU is not as difficult.

Today is the 20 year anniversary of:

zweijp.jpg

One of the best playing and best looking 3d games on the system.

MikeMyers

So I played Fighters Megamix straight for a whole hour, switching between the US and Japanese versions and came to the conclusion they aren't really that different but OMG MODEL 2 CONTROLLER IS SO GOOD.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys play it on the FV engine or the VF engine?

gelf

I nearly always played it on Vipers engine. The crazy cast of characters just fit better in the less grounded engine in my mind.

JLynn

So I played Fighters Megamix straight for a whole hour, switching between the US and Japanese versions and came to the conclusion they aren't really that different but OMG MODEL 2 CONTROLLER IS SO GOOD.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys play it on the FV engine or the VF engine?

Waitaminut. You're JUST starting using JP controllers?

THE HECK?!

yeah as far as I'm concerned, it's the JP controller or go home (barring specialized controllers like the twinsticks, mission stick, or 3D multi controller)

MikeMyers

Yeah I got late to the party with the Model 2 controller, but to be fair I mostly just use the NiGHTS controller and only really used the Model 1 controller for fighters.

I nearly always played it on Vipers engine. The crazy cast of characters just fit better in the less grounded engine in my mind.

Yeah, I agree the Vipers engine fits the nature of the game more.

Yeah I got late to the party with the Model 2 controller, but to be fair I mostly just use the NiGHTS controller and only really used the Model 1 controller for fighters.

The NiGHTS Controller is surprisingly comfortable for fighters, and until I got around to getting a Model 2 controller, was what I used for most of my Saturn gaming.

MikeMyers

Kinda makes you wonder if Sony didn't bother entering the market and it was just Saturn and N64, would 6-button controllers have become the norm?

I'd say the analog stick was an upgrade, at least. I hate that weird nub thing that passes for analog on the Saturn controller; can never keep my thumb centered in it.

Everything else, though, yeah, I'd say the Saturn analog pad did better.

The loading times are better on the 32X and that is my preferred version, but thats not to say the Saturn version is bad. I don't think he has a 32X which is why I didn't mention it.

Silly question, I presume a battery will save specific game settings?

I took mine out ages ago and I have just gotten a Jamma adapter so I can play my saturn in one of my cabs.

I would rather not have to plug in a pad every time I played battle garegga - the pad hack does not have the left or right mapped, so I have to use a pad. I like to configure 3/4 specific settings in garegga from the default.

MikeMyers

Yeah, never had a 32x. Might be the only Sega hardware I never owned, if we don't count things like the Nomad (since it's still technically a Genesis anyway).

IrishNinja

shame it's staying so pricey, cause MKR is enjoyable so far! just got better weapons, onward to town

also shouts to cj_ikwaura for the cool memory cart sticker!

IrishNinja

The US game should have come with some sticker sheet attached to the manual with quite a lot of stickers

i prolly did, i won my copy at about $100 even (before shipping) and it was in great shape, but without em - i didn't want to make a thing of it, but i was only after the memory card one, and cj was a great dude & passed his on. that thing rarely leaves my system since!

StevieWhite

Hello gents - would anybody be able to direct me to some manual scans for Galactic Attack? I'm not having much luck finding any on my own. I bought the game from a Blockbuster Video back in 1998, which, unfortunately, means that they cut the innards out of the instruction book. Bummer.

Hello gents - would anybody be able to direct me to some manual scans for Galactic Attack? I'm not having much luck finding any on my own. I bought the game from a Blockbuster Video back in 1998, which, unfortunately, means that they cut the innards out of the instruction book. Bummer.

Seems to be down right now, but I'd check SEGA Retro.

Top Bottom