• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

Just got Virtua Cop 2 and the Japanese version of Panzer Dragoon in the mail!

armarec20160408_161039.png
armarec20160408_161052.png
armarec20160408_162449.png

armarec20160408_165024.png
armarec20160408_171311.png
armarec20160408_170804.png

MikeMyers

I like the first Panzer Dragoon, but it's a bit hard to go back to at times after Zwei, which I found more fluid. Same for VF1 and VF2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hoping this is the best place to ask this kind of stuff.

So I've been hoping to get a Saturn for a while now, & I remembered a place in town that used to have a bunch of them. While it doesn't seem like he has the system anymore, he still had a ton of games. I wrote down some of the more interesting ones that I might want to own:

- Shining Wisdom
- Bug
- Astal
- Darius Gaiden
- Clockwork Knight

I also saw Fighting Vipers, but I have that digitally via Xbox 360, and Virtua Cop 2, but didn't see the gun for the system.

I wanna do some price searching online before buying them in town (there wasn't any prices on the boxes & I was running out of time to stay & ask about each individual one) & get some opinions on a few of the games (I tried Clockwork Knight's demo over 14 years ago, I know I want Darius Gaiden since I heard it's a good shmup).

Edit: I'm hearing importing might be the way to go, considering how insane prices are for US copies of games are (Burning Rangers is the perfect example) in comparison to Japanese copies & it's worth getting a Pro Action Replay, but the disadvantage is not being able to use the cartridge slot for other things.

Clockwork Knight [1] is a pushover. Clockwork Knight 2 is more my speed, though it still leans a bit easy (some of the bosses give me trouble, like that three-form paper boss fight, but the stages are still pretty straightforward). I like both of them a lot, being some of my first Saturn games, though I hope they're still considered cheap titles.

Timu

Clockwork Knight [1] is a pushover. Clockwork Knight 2 is more my speed, though it still leans a bit easy (some of the bosses give me trouble, like that three-form paper boss fight, but the stages are still pretty straightforward). I like both of them a lot, being some of my first Saturn games, though I hope they're still considered cheap titles.
1st one is at least.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH hell yes, I will totally get Fighters Megamix if not for the sole purpose of playing as the Daytona USA car.

I guess I'll mention that if I can get it digitally or via other legal/re-release means (like Nights, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Daytona USA, & such on Xbox Live/PSN), then I'm content & don't need to search for a physical copy. I mainly want games I can't really play anywhere else or is considered the better version (I totally forgot Silhouette Mirage was on Saturn but Working Designs screwed up the game with the PS1 version).

Now that I know what I need to get to play imports, what's considered a fair price on a system? Around $70 if there's no games included?

MikeMyers

The controls were off in the NiGHTS remake for me, even post-patch. I still think the best way to play the game is on the Saturn with the controller Sega made just for the game.

Khaz

Don't listen to these fighting games addicts, Sega Rally is where it's at.

You should still get Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix

piggychan

I like the first Panzer Dragoon, but it's a bit hard to go back to at times after Zwei, which I found more fluid. Same for VF1 and VF2.

The thing with Zwei is that I find it more stressful to play but then being about to shoot 360 with enemies from all directions makes the game quite a challenge and intense. There are hidden routes and levelling up your dragons but there is no denying the graphics and music in this game just hit a new tier.

People always talked about the PSX having started where videogames hit a cinematic level but I honestly feel Zwei should be placed in that basket as well. It's just so epic and some of the water and weather effects just leave you in awe. When you get to the last stages you will most likely be on the edge of your seat, make sure you got the music blasted out with a decent sound system and feel the emotion!

MikeMyers

Sega Rally is extremely cheap. NiGHTS should be affordable too.

Actually I thought the original Panzer Dragoon was harder than its prequel.

Sakura

Hey guys just a question about saving games on the Saturn (picked one up today for around 3000 yen).
I'm sure it's been asked but I can't seem to figure out how to search within a thread on my phone.
Anyway, reading online tells me the Saturn saves games on internal storage, but the internal storage requires a battery. When I turn on my Saturn it asks me for the time, but it doesn't ask me again unless I unplug it and plug it back in. Does that mean the battery is dead and I can't save games? I don't want to waste time playing if I can't save.
Thanks.

When I turn on my Saturn it asks me for the time, but it doesn't ask me again unless I unplug it and plug it back in. Does that mean the battery is dead and I can't save games?

Yes, it's dead. Get a CR2032 and replace the battery in the small compartment behind the flap at the back left of the console.

Or get a savegame cart that you plug into the cartridge port which doesn't run on batteries :p

Timu

Panzer Dragoon Zwei(Japanese version) came in earlier than expected! The menu is in 480i for some odd reason, which I hate BTW, but resumes 240p in gameplay. Funny how the gameplay is 30 FPS but the cutscenes are in 60 FPS.

armarec20160409_161534.png
armarec20160409_161946.png
armarec20160409_162853.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess I've got one more question when it comes to collecting games.

For games that have a ton of important text like RPGs & such, am I stuck having to find an English copy or is there some way of playing the Japanese version but having English text so I know what's going on & such?

Though maybe it would be wise to actually buy the system + that Action Replay thing first before talking about getting games.

Khaz

I guess I've got one more question when it comes to collecting games.

For games that have a ton of important text like RPGs & such, am I stuck having to find an English copy or is there some way of playing the Japanese version but having English text so I know what's going on & such?

Though maybe it would be wise to actually buy the system + that Action Replay thing first before talking about getting games.

You can mod your system to play burned CDs. Put the CDR alongside your original Japanese disc in its box and you're good to go. This is what I did for Shining Force III.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, I'll have to look up how to do that. I saw the store I checked had Shining Wisdom, but US copies are over $150+ & not to mention I hear Working Designs changed some stuff, & of course, Japanese copy is a lot cheaper.

........oh crap, just realized, I can't burn CDs. Ah well, again, I should figure it out after I actually get the system & the means to play imports first before worrying about that other stuff. Not to mention some place to actually store it.

If I do manage to get one eventually, I'll post an update & maybe the list of games I'm interested in.

Teknoman

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
So whats the deal with this:

http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn...rk-Knight-Pepperouchau-no-Fukubukuro-JPN.html

Japan exclusive release, so is it just both games in one?

On ebay i've seen two different disc arts for JP part 1, so I wasnt sure if there was something else going on, because I thought only 2 games were in the series.

That's the "Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau's Lucky Box" collection. It has both games on one disc running on the CK2 engine, the boss rush mode that was included in the US release of CK2, hidden minigames, and a weird 1996 calendar that assembles into a some sorta mobile. Here's some footage of the minigames:

https://youtu.be/n-PlVhdbJdw

That's the "Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau's Lucky Box" collection. It has both games on one disc running on the CK2 engine, the boss rush mode that was included in the US release of CK2, hidden minigames, and a weird 1996 calendar that assembles into a some sorta mobile. Here's some footage of the minigames:

Not really too related, but I just spent like a half hour going through videos of you showing off the dumb hidden shit in Solar Eclipse and also that shameful Miniskirt Police game. How embarrassed were you playing that?

televator

Panzer Dragoon Zwei(Japanese version) came in earlier than expected! The menu is in 480i for some odd reason, which I hate BTW, but resumes 240p in gameplay. Funny how the gameplay is 30 FPS but the cutscenes are in 60 FPS.

armarec20160409_161534.png
armarec20160409_161946.png
armarec20160409_162853.png

Timu, you're trying to convince me to do a Panzer Dragoon Marathon aren't you? Alright then, you win. Guess I gotta do it. Shucks.

Teknoman

Timu, you're trying to convince me to do a Panzer Dragoon Marathon aren't you? Alright then, you win. Guess I gotta do it. Shucks.

Im surprised there hasnt been a Panzer Dragoon appreciation thread. Not expecting it to last long if made, but something like those retrospective threads would be nice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Should I aim for this then, or is the price a bit expensive compared to just hunting them down individually?

I guess a few more things before I get serious on starting a Saturn collection:

1.) Display is just regular A/V cables (y/r/w), right? I can hook it up to my HDTV but I was wondering if there was any better ways of displaying the games instead of having them blown up on a 43" HDTV

2.) Is that Segata Sanshiro game worth tracking down?

3.) What's a good/fair price for the system + 1 controller, no games? $70?

4.) This is more to see if I'm correct on this, but I'm guessing US copies are harder to find/more expensive because the system didn't do as well, therefore less copies were printed? That tends to be the reason why games tend to be more rare/expensive, but just wondering.

Bar81

4.) This is more to see if I'm correct on this, but I'm guessing US copies are harder to find/more expensive because the system didn't do as well, therefore less copies were printed? That tends to be the reason why games tend to be more rare/expensive, but just wondering.

That's part of it but the other part is the general income level of North America and 320+ million people and larger homes to store all this crap makes for a good bit of demand as well.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Should I aim for this then, or is the price a bit expensive compared to just hunting them down individually?

I've seen 'em go for around the same price or less than what you'd pay for both games individually. You also get more content. Shop around.

I guess a few more things before I get serious on starting a Saturn collection:

1.) Display is just regular A/V cables (y/r/w), right? I can hook it up to my HDTV but I was wondering if there was any better ways of displaying the games instead of having them blown up on a 43" HDTV

S-Video and SCART are options as well. You'll have some input lag going directly into most HDTVs. I think certain upscalers can reduce it, but I'll leave that for someone else to answer since I don't personally own one.

Depends on what sort of collector you are and how much you like Segata Sanshiro. Sega themselves didn't make the game. It was farmed out to the company behind the infamously terrible Death Crimson: Ecole Software. That said, it's not a bad game per se, just kinda lackluster and brutally hard. Its real value was in having access to all the commercials, but people like me have since ripped them and put them online. I even had them translated:

https://youtu.be/gc3AK8k90xw

3.) What's a good/fair price for the system + 1 controller, no games? $70?

These days I have no clue. I've long owned several Saturns and will probably never need to buy another one. What probably still holds true is that the system is going to be one of the least expensive investments you make if you seriously get into Saturn collecting, heh.

Outside of RPGs and adventure titles, it's kinda pointless to collect most US Saturn games anyway.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I read Hardcore Gaming 101's detailed review on it, & yeah, doesn't look like it's really worth getting. I can imagine back in the day, it was neat having those commercials as unlockables, but now you can just see them on YouTube.

As for my TV, don't think S-Video is supported (unless there's a converter), so I guess composite will have to be the way to hook it up or I get one of those S-Video to HDMI or component converters.

Appreciate all the answers from everyone, I just wanna make sure what I'm getting into before getting the system & trying to get games for it. The only time I ever got to play one was when I was 10 years old & it was a demo disc for stuff like Daytona, Nights, Clockwork Knight, & some other games I can't remember.

Depends on what sort of collector you are and how much you like Segata Sanshiro. Sega themselves didn't make the game. It was farmed out to the company behind the infamously terrible Death Crimson: Ecole Software. That said, it's not a bad game per se, just kinda lackluster and brutally hard. Its real value was in having access to all the commercials, but people like me have since ripped them and put them online. I even had them translated:

https://youtu.be/gc3AK8k90xw

I read Hardcore Gaming 101's detailed review on it, & yeah, doesn't look like it's really worth getting. I can imagine back in the day, it was neat having those commercials as unlockables, but now you can just see them on YouTube.

Yea, as much as I love Segata Sanshiro, the game itself was mixed. Some of the mini-games were enjoyable, some frustrating. It's a nice collection nonetheless if you're a fan and want to own something Segata related (I have this, the PC game, and the action figure from motherbase, I'd love to get my hands on a shirt or the Takara-Tomy figure)...though I think I'm missing something to unlock, like I used a GameFAQs guide back in the day to unlock most everything except that one commercial (?). Kind hoped that someday, someone would point out how to unlock it.

Plus come on, Hiroshi Fujioka was just over-the-top with the yelling and everything in it.

Top Bottom