• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Celine

Our Retro Club went for a Saturn ride last friday...

7syzvpV.jpg

petran79

Banned
Bubble Symphony is on the PC version of Taito Legends 2. That's another place you could check.

Dont tell me about it. Had to go through hell to make Windows bootable again due to Starforce....

Now I removed Starforce and TL2 runs fine.
It also has Elevator Action 2.
But from what I checked, EA2 is based on the MAME version since light effects do not work and the character shadow on the first stage is inaccurate.

I noticed that the visible music note boxes in Saturn Symphony seems to appear randomly, depending at what order you've chosen each stage. If you enable the cheat where the background is black and the original Bubble Bobble music plays, all music boxes are visible.

Only difference is that Taito Legends on PC makes some games playable that have problems on MAME.
English subs appear on the boss fights of Kuri Kinton (Japanese subs on MAME)

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Dont tell me about it. Had to go through hell to make Windows bootable again due to Starforce....

Now I removed Starforce and TL2 runs fine.
It also has Elevator Action 2.
But from what I checked, EA2 is based on the MAME version since light effects do not work and the character shadow on the first stage is inaccurate.

I noticed that the visible music note boxes in Saturn Symphony seems to appear randomly, depending at what order you've chosen each stage. If you enable the cheat where the background is black and the original Bubble Bobble music plays, all music boxes are visible.

Only difference is that Taito Legends on PC makes some games playable that have problems on MAME.
English subs appear on the boss fights of Kuri Kinton (Japanese subs on MAME)

Last time I ran TL2 was either on XP or Vista. I don't remember having any issues. Must be a conflict with more current versions of Windows.

IrishNinja

Never noticed just how dark Guardian Heroes' remix mode was compared to the original graphics. It's really bad:

Sadly, I didn't catch this until I played the footage back on my laptop (I have the brightness on my plasma television cranked way up because the picture is very, very dim). I'm going to have to reshoot the whole game, lol. :\

damn, never noticed this...been meaning to run through the saturn one again, once i get some more time down with MKR!

Our Retro Club went for a Saturn ride last friday...

lookin' so baller

Celine

Dat Sega domination!!!
SEGA won the 32bits war confirmed.

Ah ah you guys!!!

I don't hide I wanted Sega to be number one at last once.
But seriously most people in Europe don't know that Sega had released a console named Saturn.
Also that generation saw an unusually high number of rivaling consoles with most of them exiting the market between 1995 and 1998.

MikeMyers

Yeah, a lot of people don't realise Sega even made any systems after the Mega Drive.

Being in Japan would be like an alternate reality to that though, since Saturn is Sega's best selling system in Asia.

Teknoman

Like Panzer Dragoon soundtrack style?
Grab Terra Magica. Stuff is awesome.

http://store.bravewave.net/album/terra-magica

Terra Magica is a love letter from Saori Kobayashi to her fans. Featuring the same rich, melodic tones that defined the iconic soundtracks of Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon Orta, Kobayashi invites listeners to enter the world she has created, while encouraging them to create their very own story to match the progression of the music.

Really does sound like a missing Panzer universe OST. Also she really needs to compose for another game. Lady is a musical genius.

Galdelico

I'll double check later, in case it won't be confirmed in the meanwhile, but I don't remember any English-text option (game has English voices by default). I'm sure all the options are written in English, though.

KC-Slater

I've always wondered, is there a reason why Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 US boxes were grey instead of white?

From what I remember at the time, Sega (of America) was looking to re-debut the Saturn, using those two ports as pillars for what the games should/could be, after the botched launch of the system, and the crappy ports for Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter.

To my understanding, what you miss from US House of the Dead is the ability to change the blood color (Japan only gets green, while US defaults to red and can switch to green, blue and purple) and English subtitles (they're Japanese in the Japanese version, for fairly obvious reasons; all the voice-acting is in really-badly-acted English for both versions, though).

Though as I recall, there's two versions of House of the Dead in Japan, and one of the two is basically just a demo. I forget specifics.

JLynn

I think we got some of the standouts, but damn am I sad we didn't get Sakura Wars.

Damn Bernie Stolar. No fast food job dirty enough for that fool.

Sorry I'm late. I coulda swore Vic Ireland said WD was thisclose to localizing it with the blessings of RED and I think Sega Japan but for some reason that never happened.

To my understanding, what you miss from US House of the Dead is the ability to change the blood color (Japan only gets green, while US defaults to red and can switch to green, blue and purple) and English subtitles (they're Japanese in the Japanese version, for fairly obvious reasons; all the voice-acting is in really-badly-acted English for both versions, though).

Though as I recall, there's two versions of House of the Dead in Japan, and one of the two is basically just a demo. I forget specifics.

Yep. Those are the differences. Rumor has it that SOA printed less copies of the US HOTD than they did PDS.

MikeMyers

From what I remember at the time, Sega (of America) was looking to re-debut the Saturn, using those two ports as pillars for what the games should/could be, after the botched launch of the system, and the crappy ports for Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter.

Interestingly, what would have the launch lineup been if the Saturn launched in September? From what I can find, these games were available by 9/95.

-Astal
-Bug
-Clockwork Knight
-Daytona USA
-Panzer Dragoon
-Virtua Fighter Remix
-World Series Baseball
-Worldwide Soccer

Interestingly, what would have the launch lineup been if the Saturn launched in September? From what I can find, these games were available by 9/95.

-Astal
-Bug
-Clockwork Knight
-Daytona USA
-Panzer Dragoon
-Virtua Fighter Remix
-World Series Baseball
-Worldwide Soccer

That looks like it would have been a better launch lineup then our current generation of consoles.
Too bad that isn't much of a complement...

I found a Sega Saturn with no cords or controller on the side of the road in a box with some vhs tapes. Ordered the cords and it turns out it works! Hoping I can get some game recommendations. I'm mostly interested in Saturn exclusives that don't cost a ton of money.

Conezays

I found a Sega Saturn with no cords or controller on the side of the road in a box with some vhs tapes. Ordered the cords and it turns out it works! Hoping I can get some game recommendations. I'm mostly interested in Saturn exclusives that don't cost a ton of money.

Lucky find! The 3-pack of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona USA is a solid, cheap start for the system IMO.

saturn06.jpg

MikeMyers

Well, VF Remix was still released in Japan right? I think if Sega had waited, we'd probably have just gotten Remix and no VF1.

If you get the Action Replay, you can play imports, which are generally cheaper to acquire.

NiGHTS isn't exclusive anymore, but I didn't think the PS360 version did it justice, so I still think the Saturn version + 3D Controller is the best way to go about it.

Fighters Megamix and Panzer Dragoon Zwei are must haves and are still exclusive.

Some cheap arcade games are Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2. Darius Gaiden & Die Hard Arcade are a bit more expensive but still affordable and good games.

AmyS

I posted this in an arcade thread but that one isn't very active so I'll put this here.

EDGE UK magazine first look a 5% completed Model 2 Daytona.

You don't typically see these online, and IIRC was not in sister publication Next Generation, which didn't premier until late 1994.

TigvzeP.jpg

g19ZCZH.jpg

oDPHzUS.jpg

There's no Sonic carving on the mountain yet. Some of the shots almost look a bit higher resolution than the final Model 2 game, with less texture mapping.

What do you think ?

It's kinda odd, this is the April 1994 EDGE and by that point, a completed version of Daytona USA was out in Japanese arcades in 1993 (AFAIK anyway),
so maybe the screens/ info in this article was a lot older than early '94. I honestly don't know.

Also, it shouldn't be confused with those early beta screens of the first Saturn version, shown in various states of development. Those are much, much more common.

Some of the Saturn Daytona beta pics for reference (late '94 early '95) in Next Generation.

Okay so, the very next issue of EDGE, May 1994, showed Daytona USA as we know it.

KC-Slater

EDGE UK magazine first look a 5% completed Model 2 Daytona.

I love this game so much. I wish it had a thriving online community online on PS3 still. I'd love a AM2 PSVR arcade collection...
I encourage anyone with the space and means to do so, grab an old Sega arcade cab for cheap while you still can. I picked up a Naomi Universal back in the Fall, and there is something so incredible about the (industrial and game) design and history of Sega's arcade presence.

Sorry if a bit OT.

I love this game so much. I wish it had a thriving online community online on PS3 still. I'd love a AM2 PSVR arcade collection...
I encourage anyone with the space and means to do so, grab an old Sega arcade cab for cheap while you still can. I picked up a Naomi Universal back in the Fall, and there is something so incredible about the (industrial and game) design and history of Sega's arcade presence.

Sorry if a bit OT.

Just one more post junior :)

I would love a Daytona Machine. That and Virtua Fighter are the only 2 Arcade cabs my wife would play. If I only had the space.

KC-Slater

Just one more post junior :)

I would love a Daytona Machine. That and Virtua Fighter are the only 2 Arcade cabs my wife would play. If I only had the space.

Not sure where you (and everyone else, for that matter) is located, but it's fun to keep an eye on these auctions. They frequently have Daytona, Initial D, and other Model 2/3/Naomi setups that go for around $100 (at least at the Toronto-auctions.) I can't count how many times I've seen Lost World and HotD2 setups go for under that!

Moving them/storing them/convincing the significant-other is when things shift to Hard Mode...

Often, you can get them for next to nothing on classifieds as well, because people's lives change, and they suddenly need to just get rid of them.

Also, Membership status!!

Conezays

Not sure where you (and everyone else, for that matter) is located, but it's fun to keep an eye on these auctions. They frequently have Daytona, Initial D, and other Model 2/3/Naomi setups that go for around $100 (at least at the Toronto-auctions.) I can't count how many times I've seen Lost World and HotD2 setups go for under that!

Moving them/storing them/convincing the significant-other is when things shift to Hard Mode...

Often, you can get them for next to nothing on classifieds as well, because people's lives change, and they suddenly need to just get rid of them.

Also, Membership status!!

Damn, I would love to have a few Sega arcade cabinets for that cheap. It unfortunately would be a little cramped in my apartment at the moment. Some day perhaps...

Fellow Canadian here in Vancouver by the way.

KC-Slater

Damn, I would love to have a few Sega arcade cabinets for that cheap. It unfortunately would be a little cramped in my apartment at the moment. Some day perhaps...

Fellow Canadian here in Vancouver by the way.

I feel ya. I have mine in storage, because I don't have space for it in my apartment. I had to grab it when I could though -- you don't see candy cabs often in Ontario -- the west coast is hoarding them all! ;)

Enjoying the life out of Panzer Dragoon Saga right now. There's something about the way it tells its story that I really enjoy; it feels more grounded in grey compared to most other JRPGs, and there's a slight tinge of sombreness in the proceedings. Despite that, the game still gives lots of inspiration for exploring and taking in the beauty of the world's nature and curiosities. It's the kind of world I'd love to explore if it were real.

And the music is just flippin' phenomenal. I might be playing this on emulator atm but I wouldn't mind picking up the OST, as long as it isn't as pricey as American copies of the game are.

Truth be told I might also pick up the Japanese version of the game if possible, just to have it around. At least that version is not an arm and a leg for the wallet.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Sorry if a bit OT.

I would LOVE to get a Sega arcade-game, and I would actually have the space, however, I never see them on sale where I live unfortunately :(

cj_iwakura

Wow, Tengai Makyou IV's battles are not at all what I expected. They're basically FMV!

tm4-3a.jpg

Doesn't do it justice. This is one charming game.

cj_iwakura

I love the battle music in that game and the bosses... Wait till you see Candy and Madam Apety

I'm a little worried about the language barrier. I can get the gist of spoken dialogue, but the text... already kind of lost in the haunted mansion. (The kid is blocking the way out)

AmyS

Sorry if a bit OT.

Same here.

I'm hoping to invest in a Thrustmaster T300 wheel for PS4 / PS3 this summer (DiRT Rally) and I hope it'll work with Daytona on PS3 (HD versions were released in 2011 and probably not updated, so I don't know).

I don't have the space for an arcade cab in my apt, but I might be moving soon and would then have the room. The one I want the most is Daytona USA 2 but anything that runs on a Model 3 board is going to be much more expensive.

MikeMyers

I've got one.

Thing is a NIGHTMARE to get working. And I fried the power supply XD

Had the stick wired up for one glorious day before I killed it.
If you ever get that thing repaired I'll be your roommate for life.

Yeah. Stolar. There's no lowly fast food job bad enough for that hack.
:( I'll be on my deathbed wondering what VF3 Saturn could have been had Sega not pulled the plug so fast.

Top Bottom