• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Well the media shouldn't be an issue, since I'm using Taiyo Yuden and apparently those are the best on the market? I actually bought the same model someone suggested for Saturn discs lol.

And I'm using Darkwater rips, which apparently are 1:1 copies. Even stranger is that I burned some discs, tested them in an emulator and they run fine. But pop them in the Saturn, and the disc just refuses to spin.

Meanwhile discs I burnt years ago still work, every single time. Other discs I burned with Taiyo Yuden work sometimes, othertimes they won't spin.

Super confusing.

IrishNinja

yeah, that is super confusing...you're doing everything right, and testing them in an emu, too. starting to sound like the chip, but...could it be the ribbon? does it load every legit disc you throw at it or nah?

Yeah literally never had a single issue with legit discs. I would be ready to blame it on the chip if it wasn't for the fact that some burnt copies work EVERY TIME. What the hell lol

AmyS

A few more early shots of arcade Daytona USA, this time from Diehard Game Fan, somewhere in '93. Quality isn't anywhere near that of EDGE, but you see some different angles.

egnCh5o.jpg

A few more early shots of arcade Daytona USA, this time from Diehard Game Fan, somewhere in '93. Quality isn't anywhere near that of EDGE, but you see some different angles.

egnCh5o.jpg

Great stuff! The iconic red and green Ridge Racer car on the top left looks different too than the end product!

Daytona still has more advanced car models, but the trackside details look way more plain.

Conezays

Nearing the end of Exhumed but one of these last stages has *really* irritating one-hit kill lasers. Naturally, you return to the start of the level every time you die. I'm not one to really bemoan difficulty, but this is more cheap and irritating due to controls vs. something a little more legitimate. That being said, still a pretty cool experience for the system and would recommend it if you can find it on the lower end of Saturn price gouging.

Honestly, I cheesed the entire second half of that stage with a single grenade jump, and I don't even care.

Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for the PS1 version - no bomb-jumping. (Plus the level design was completely different and didn't allow for such a blatant shortcut, but still.)

gelf

Laser traps are absolutely the worst thing in Exhumed. Getting the team doll hidden behind the laser maze may be the most hell I ever put myself through for any game.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
taromaru is that white whale

i feel like i gotta learn japanese before i get super tempo for that trivia level, lol

You don't need to know Japanese for that. Just keep the wagon as far to the right as possible and watch for either the cheerleader or black hole. Cheerleader is always the correct path and the black hole is the wrong one.

Conezays

Honestly, I cheesed the entire second half of that stage with a single grenade jump, and I don't even care.

Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for the PS1 version - no bomb-jumping. (Plus the level design was completely different and didn't allow for such a blatant shortcut, but still.)

Hmm, I may need to try that, lol. Thanks for the tips.

Laser traps are absolutely the worst thing in Exhumed. Getting the team doll hidden behind the laser maze may be the most hell I ever put myself through for any game.

Indeed. The platforming segments can be frustrating but fairly manageable. The laser traps however...

IrishNinja

man Super Tempo is one of those games Game Sack taught me about, then made me cry looking up the price

I bought Burning Rangers for $30 and felt ripped off lol.

i got the disc for free! but if i payed what the game currently goes for, id prolly feel like you do about Saga, haha

petran79

Banned
So, SSF doesn't play nice with Win10? Just upgraded and I can't seem to launch it. :(

It plays fine here.
Only problem is that I can not run the latest beta from the laptop on Win7.
SSF beta switched to DirectX11 at some point.

Laptop has both Intel 3000 and Nvidia GT555M.
No matter which card I choose it gives me the message that it failed to render DirectX11 or something. So I stuck with the B4 version of 2013.

Compared to Yabause it has much lower sys req. It runs at full speed on the crappy Intel 3000 card. While Yabause requires Nvidia and strains it a lot.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally picked up Darius Gaiden and Layer Section before they explode in price. Looking forward to some fun with those!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VF2 should be in everyone's collection. So fun for me to pick up a character I dont really know and mess around with their options. Been on a Shun rampage!

Teknoman

Well, I had to go with the japanese version in this case :(

There are better games to feel bad about! :D

lol im just gonna keep waiting, one day i'll snag it for a decent price. Hyperduel on the other hand, im just gonna have to put aside gift cards and stuff. Actually now that I think of it, I dont have Battle Garrega yet either. Blast Wind should be cheaper than what it is though.

US games that are worth a pick up with their asking price over $100 CIB IMHO

Panzer Dragoon Saga YES
Magic Knight and Rayearth NO
Burning Rangers NO
Albert Odyssey NO
Dragon Force YES
Shining Force 3 YES
House of the Dead NO
Guardian Heroes YES
Saturn Bomberman YES
Shining the Holy Ark YES
Shining Wisdom NO
from what I have heard

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Panzer Dragoon Saga YES
Burning Rangers NO
Albert Odyssey NO
Dragon Force YES
Shining Force 3 YES
House of the Dead NO
Guardian Heroes YES
Saturn Bomberman YES
Shining the Holy Ark YES
Shining Wisdom NO
from what I have heard

So from these, I have PDS, Burning Rangers (jp), SF3, Guardian Heroes (jp), Bomberman (jp) and Shining the Holy Ark. Gues i need Dragon Force to complete the yes-list.

So from these, I have PDS, Burning Rangers (jp), SF3, Guardian Heroes (jp), Bomberman (jp) and Shining the Holy Ark. Gues i need Dragon Force to complete the yes-list.

I forgot about the jp version of Guardian Heroes for some reason, but you should grab the jp version of House of the Dead. The game is great, just not over $100 great.

man Super Tempo is one of those games Game Sack taught me about, then made me cry looking up the price

the thing which surprises me is why some particular games got priced recently
Radiant was expensive already 10 years ago, same for D&D
but games like Super Tempo or Elevator Action Returns I bought in 2009 and I paid around 30 euros...

Bar81

but games like Super Tempo or Elevator Action Returns I bought in 2009 and I paid around 30 euros...

Because you tubers made stupid videos about them and most collectors are dumb sheep and collect what they're told to.

NDPsycho

Because you tubers made stupid videos about them and most collectors are dumb sheep and collect what they're told to.

You all don't think they're just dumb sheep do you? Clearly the videos have an influence, I've learned about all kinds of obscure or rare games myself, and I've been gaming since the 2600. Collectors are drawn to the rare or obscure, so it kind of makes sense, but that doesn't make us dumb.

What we're seeing in increased retro prices is no different than what you see in any other collectible market. Is it so hard to believe that the things you like or would like to own would be shared by other people?

Panzer Dragoon Saga YES
Burning Rangers NO
Albert Odyssey NO
Dragon Force YES
Shining Force 3 YES
House of the Dead NO
Guardian Heroes YES
Saturn Bomberman YES
Shining the Holy Ark YES
Shining Wisdom NO
from what I have heard

I mean, if you're the kind of guy that'd spend over 100 bucks on Bomberman I don't see why you wouldn't do the same with Shining Wisdom.

Galdelico

You all don't think they're just dumb sheep do you? Clearly the videos have an influence, I've learned about all kinds of obscure or rare games myself, and I've been gaming since the 2600. Collectors are drawn to the rare or obscure, so it kind of makes sense, but that doesn't make us dumb.

What we're seeing in increased retro prices is no different than what you see in any other collectible market. Is it so hard to believe that the things you like or would like to own would be shared by other people?
That's not what Bar said, to be fair. 'Most collectors' doesn't mean 'every single collector'.
I think he's right, though. Sure, old stuff generally goes up in price, as it becomes older, and - once again, in general - the older it gets, the more desireable and pricey it may become. Now, let's not bury our head in the sand and pretend most videogame collectors aren't hasty hoarders. Also, money is rarely an issue with serious collectors, and that's when even just a few of 'us' can screw things up for everyone else.

Edit --- Oh and as far as I remember, this phenomenon of huge collectors going YouTube, flooding their channels with weekly humongous pick-ups, buy-lists etc is relatively recent. For instance, I've never seen as many Japanese ebayers selling overpriced US games (say, for the Genesis), as it happens nowadays. I don't know, I may be wrong here, but I think that has its big part in the whole 'seeing your favourite game not just going up in price, but literally 2/3x-ing its value in a couple of years' trend.

NDPsycho

That's not what Bar said, to be fair. 'Most collectors' doesn't mean 'every single collector'.
I think he's right, though. Sure, old stuff generally goes up in price, as it becomes older, and - once again, in general - the older an item gets, the more desireable and pricey it may become. Now, let's not hide behind a finger and pretend most videogame collectors aren't hoarders. Also, money is rarely an issue with serious collectors, and that's when even just a few of 'us' can screw things up for everyone else.

Certainly, I can't speak for him, but I think I got the gist, which is why I replied. I read it as 'it sucks that something I like gets exposure and goes up in price.' We can all agree with that. I was just hoping the rest was in jest, because these forums are full of collectors :)

I think you are off, at least in a clinical sense about the hoarding comment. It's been addressed better elsewhere, but some key components of hoarding are an unorganized retention of items of little value, where most are ashamed or embarrassed to share with others. Images of homes piled high with newspaper, junk mail, Styrofoam plates, etc being the norm. This is in pretty stark contrast to most collections. Having a lot of something doesn't equate to being a hoarder.

NDPsycho

Edit --- Oh and as far as I remember, this phenomenon of huge collectors going YouTube, flooding their channels with weekly humongous pick-ups, buy-lists etc is relatively recent. For instance, I've never seen as many Japanese ebayers selling overpriced US games (say, for the Genesis), as it happens nowadays. I don't know, I may be wrong here, but I think that has its big part in the whole 'seeing your favourite game not just going up in price, but literally 2/3x-ing its value in a couple of years' trend.

I don't disagree with you on this, or even the main part of the previous comment I replied to. It's all related, I just think that dumb sheep wasn't the best way to explain supply and demand.

NDPsycho

I mean, if you're the kind of guy that'd spend over 100 bucks on Bomberman I don't see why you wouldn't do the same with Shining Wisdom.

I kind of agree with most of that list, though I did like Magic Knight. Burning Rangers was cool at the time, but really hard to go back too. Bomberman has way more replay value than any of the rpgs.

I never got into house of the dead and sold it off a long time ago. I always liked the virtua cop games more. The voice work in the HOTD games is cringe worthy even when viewed through a b movie filter. I do miss light gun games though.

IrishNinja

Panzer Dragoon Saga YES
Burning Rangers NO
Albert Odyssey NO
Dragon Force YES
Shining Force 3 YES
House of the Dead NO
Guardian Heroes YES
Saturn Bomberman YES
Shining the Holy Ark YES
Shining Wisdom NO
from what I have heard

havent finished MKR so i can't say for sure on that one, inclined to agree with the rest of this
only thing i lack here are HOTD (i don't have saturn guns right now anyway)

You're better off importing for Guardian Heroes and House of the Dead.

agreed, at this point

I mean, the boxart alone invalidates US Guardian Heroes even before its price...

haha see the TG16 scene made me appreciate terrible US box art though, it's such a time capsule

I forgot about the jp version of Guardian Heroes for some reason, but you should grab the jp version of House of the Dead. The game is great, just not over $100 great.

keep forgetting to ask, i know it was covered but i forget: why is this better than the DC version? mind you, i again need guns for both systems & need to look up which models are cheapest/best too!

was D&D always pricey? fuck, i totally missed that one in a lot a few years back and was salty

Certainly, I can't speak for him, but I think I got the gist, which is why I replied. I read it as 'it sucks that something I like gets exposure and goes up in price.' We can all agree with that. I was just hoping the rest was in jest, because these forums are full of collectors :)

I think you are off, at least in a clinical sense about the hoarding comment. It's been addressed better elsewhere, but some key components of hoarding are an unorganized retention of items of little value, where most are ashamed or embarrassed to share with others. Images of homes piled high with newspaper, junk mail, Styrofoam plates, etc being the norm. This is in pretty stark contrast to most collections. Having a lot of something doesn't equate to being a hoarder.

this, i see a lotta self-righteous comments like that but if you're buying/keeping older games, how different are you? you've just been at it longer.
i totally get insta-collectors driving prices up, kinda assuming they'll ditch it like the 90s comic scene eventually but if people are playing these games, i don't mind. the only ones i'd call "dumb" are the people who buy shit for systems they dont have & don't intend to get, just for the shelf or something.

Maybe, but from what I've heard Shining is the weakest in the series. Where Saturn Bomberman is the best Bomberman.

i still think it's worth importing saturn bomberman and making piece with losing some stages, or burning a copy of the US one for them/the dialogue if you like. don't get me wrong, 10 player bomberman stays on my gaming bucket list, but the price right now is ridiculous.

Top Bottom