• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Enjoying the life out of Panzer Dragoon Saga right now. There's something about the way it tells its story that I really enjoy; it feels more grounded in grey compared to most other JRPGs, and there's a slight tinge of sombreness in the proceedings. Despite that, the game still gives lots of inspiration for exploring and taking in the beauty of the world's nature and curiosities. It's the kind of world I'd love to explore if it were real.

And the music is just flippin' phenomenal. I might be playing this on emulator atm but I wouldn't mind picking up the OST, as long as it isn't as pricey as American copies of the game are.

Truth be told I might also pick up the Japanese version of the game if possible, just to have it around. At least that version is not an arm and a leg for the wallet.

<3 Amazing game. IIRC the soundtrack isn't too pricey. I forgot how much I paid for it, but it was, like, a normal import-CD price maybe?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Alright. There are some graphical compromises and it only runs at 30fps as opposed to the arcade 60.

The best home ports are on the Dreamcast Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol.1 compilation and now the 3DS Classic by M2.

Thanks! Would love the Yu Suzuki Game Works, but its so expensive. About the 3DS-version, I kinda want to play it on my tv, so that disqualifies that. Really hope the NX will solve that issue though.

Thanks! Would love the Yu Suzuki Game Works, but its so expensive. About the 3DS-version, I kinda want to play it on my tv, so that disqualifies that. Really hope the NX will solve that issue though.

Yeah, that's understandable. I know there's a hack to output 3DS video, and I see folks use for game capture and streaming, but it sounds kinda complicated lol.

Too bad it never got a Sega Ages 2500 release or something.

Daffy Duck

I posted this in an arcade thread but that one isn't very active so I'll put this here.

EDGE UK magazine first look a 5% completed Model 2 Daytona.

You don't typically see these online, and IIRC was not in sister publication Next Generation, which didn't premier until late 1994.

TigvzeP.jpg

g19ZCZH.jpg

oDPHzUS.jpg

There's no Sonic carving on the mountain yet. Some of the shots almost look a bit higher resolution than the final Model 2 game, with less texture mapping.

What do you think ?

It's kinda odd, this is the April 1994 EDGE and by that point, a completed version of Daytona USA was out in Japanese arcades in 1993 (AFAIK anyway),
so maybe the screens/ info in this article was a lot older than early '94. I honestly don't know.

Also, it shouldn't be confused with those early beta screens of the first Saturn version, shown in various states of development. Those are much, much more common.

Some of the Saturn Daytona beta pics for reference (late '94 early '95) in Next Generation.

Okay so, the very next issue of EDGE, May 1994, showed Daytona USA as we know it.

Awesome. I love Daytona USA, my all time favourite arcade machine.

<3 Amazing game. IIRC the soundtrack isn't too pricey. I forgot how much I paid for it, but it was, like, a normal import-CD price maybe?

Yeah I just checked eBay and there's one copy for about $100, which is a decent price I'd say. Guess it would still be worth checking around to see what rates other sellers have for a copy tho.

It'd be almost like having the English-language game there except...it....isn't. Another thing I've noticed while playing is a slight Zelda-like feeling to the proceedings in how the storytelling format is done and the sense of "high adventure", but in terms of tone it's between a Zelda and Metroid (if comparing to Nintendo offerings).

So there's definitely an untapped audience for the series out there I feel, and it'd be incredible to see Sega and Nintendo team up to do a remaster on NX.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah I just checked eBay and there's one copy for about $100, which is a decent price I'd say. Guess it would still be worth checking around to see what rates other sellers have for a copy tho.
What the...! That's really high. I have the Azel Memorial album and I don't remember paying that much. Sadly I forgot where I bought it... Pretty sure it wasn't eBay (too many bootleg OSTs on there). I thought it could be Otaku.com (which had another name in the past) but searching my old email logs, all I could find was an order that included the PD Zwei OST, not Azel. That's an order dating from 2007... xD Right now Otaku.com has it for the cheapest at $70, used. That's a 1CD version too which is likely incomplete. Ouch.

Still, I know $100 would have been too steep for me. Maybe it increased in value over the years though...

What the...! That's really high. I have the Azel Memorial album and I don't remember paying that much. Sadly I forgot where I bought it... Pretty sure it wasn't eBay (too many bootleg OSTs on there). I thought it could be Otaku.com (which had another name in the past) but searching my old email logs, all I could find was an order that included the PD Zwei OST, not Azel. That's an order dating from 2007... xD Right now Otaku.com has it for the cheapest at $70, used. That's a 1CD version too which is likely incomplete. Ouch.

Still, I know $100 would have been too steep for me. Maybe it increased in value over the years though...
Wouldn't surprise me if it did; the game itself (English copies) I see going for $600-$950 on eBay now, where just a few years ago you could get it for "only" $200. It's stuff like this why it needs a re-release on some digital platforms, at the very least. I'd prefer playing it on Steam (hell, I'd install Steam for the game) or GOG, or Desaru, PSN, XBLA, Virtual Console....anything at this point. But we just have to dream about that instead.

Thanks for the Otaku site link btw; I'm assuming they well anime OSTs there as well? I wonder how much a collection of Serial Experiments Lain OSTs would go for around there. And now that you mention it, I'm not even sure if the PD Saga OST I found on eBay is the complete version or not :(.

speaking of which the mangod tweeted about the Azel soundtrack today, lol
https://twitter.com/ShaneWatch/status/722798793163313152

God that album cover is gorgeous.

A rerelease would drop the price slightly, not hundreds. But atlleast more people would get to experience how amazing it is. If people want to drop major $$$$ on a game, fine, just as long as its available elsewhere.

piggychan

I'm a little worried about the language barrier. I can get the gist of spoken dialogue, but the text... already kind of lost in the haunted mansion. (The kid is blocking the way out)

iirc if you are in the room I think you have to inspect or go near a clock for an event to happen..

Teknoman

Speaking of which, I know an AR code is required to start Saga if you've got an AR plugged in, but I should be good when changing discs right?

I posted this in an arcade thread but that one isn't very active so I'll put this here.

EDGE UK magazine first look a 5% completed Model 2 Daytona.

You don't typically see these online, and IIRC was not in sister publication Next Generation, which didn't premier until late 1994.

TigvzeP.jpg

g19ZCZH.jpg

oDPHzUS.jpg

There's no Sonic carving on the mountain yet. Some of the shots almost look a bit higher resolution than the final Model 2 game, with less texture mapping.

What do you think ?

It's kinda odd, this is the April 1994 EDGE and by that point, a completed version of Daytona USA was out in Japanese arcades in 1993 (AFAIK anyway),
so maybe the screens/ info in this article was a lot older than early '94. I honestly don't know.

Also, it shouldn't be confused with those early beta screens of the first Saturn version, shown in various states of development. Those are much, much more common.

Some of the Saturn Daytona beta pics for reference (late '94 early '95) in Next Generation.

Okay so, the very next issue of EDGE, May 1994, showed Daytona USA as we know it.

Thanks for these, love to read old articles like this, especially when they're showing stuff in beta versions.

Is it just me or do the 3D models for the wheels of the player car seem more detailed than they ended up? Or is that just a CGI version of the car to use on the cover art etc.?

AmyS

Thanks for these, love to read old articles like this, especially when they're showing stuff in beta versions.

Is it just me or do the 3D models for the wheels of the player car seem more detailed than they ended up? Or is that just a CGI version of the car to use on the cover art etc.?

I noticed that too. I'm not sure. It's more detailed for sure. real-time on a development system or offline rendered CGI, wish I had the answers.

I noticed that too. I'm not sure. It's more detailed for sure. real-time on a development system or offline rendered CGI, wish I had the answers.

Getting geeky here, but this is probably the more detailed, showcase model, used for the renders etc. of the cover art and promotion arcade cabinet leaflets:

example1oxu98.png

It's got detailed wheels.

And here the wheels look very typical in-game Daytona, hexagonal and all:

example2fsugy.png

And that's the model that was used for the replays and attract mode.

However, here the detailed wheels seem to be in the replay and in-game graphics:

example3wyujn.png

Maybe they just had to cut back on polygons and detail to make it run smoothly in the final game and ended up just using the more detailed 3D model for promotion?!

AmyS

Getting geeky here, but this is probably the more detailed, showcase model, used for the renders etc. of the cover art and promotion arcade cabinet leaflets:

example1oxu98.png

It's got detailed wheels.

And here the wheels look very typical in-game Daytona, hexagonal and all:

example2fsugy.png

And that's the model that was used for the replays and attract mode.

However, here the detailed wheels seem to be in the replay and in-game graphics:

example3wyujn.png

Maybe they just had to cut back on polygons and detail to make it run smoothly in the final game and ended up just using the more detailed 3D model for promotion?!

Ah nice, much appreciate your observations here!

Galdelico

So, I'd really like to try my Action Replay Plus as a region adapter, at this point... As for right now - aside from some over-expensive US Rayearth and Albert Odyssey (also, they don't look 100% complete), and other games I already own the Japanese version of - I could easily grab Rampage: World Tour, Gex and Sonic 3D Blast. Any of them is worth picking-up? I know they aren't particularly well-regarded, but having the chance to try a few US games and getting some decent fun out of it, would be enough for me. Thanks in advance guys.

Teknoman

So, I'd really like to try my Action Replay Plus as a region adapter, at this point... As for right now - aside from some over-expensive US Rayearth and Albert Odyssey (also, they don't look 100% complete), and other games I already own the Japanese version of - I could easily grab Rampage: World Tour, Gex and Sonic 3D Blast. Any of them is worth picking-up? I know they aren't particularly well-regarded, but having the chance to try a few US games and getting some decent fun out of it, would be enough for me. Thanks in advance guys.

I'd grab a disc only version of a Capcom fighter if you wanna try a cheap test. On that note, Sonic 3D blast is worth it for the 3D bonus stage alone.

Timu

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Wow...I'm doing a youtube playthrough of this game, and I guess I'll be taking various paths since it's tough to get 90%+ on all episodes!

The tunnels are the toughest section of the game. If you can score 90% while taking the upper route, the rest of Zwei should be no problem for you.

MikeMyers

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon, got a funny story for you guys.

Some guy on my campus was selling PS360-era games and was claiming he was some "hardcore" gamer who has played every top game ever. So for a joke I asked him what he thought was the best game he ever played, and expected him to say something like Bioshock....

...his response? Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon, got a funny story for you guys.

Some guy on my campus was selling PS360-era games and was claiming he was some "hardcore" gamer who has played every top game ever. So for a joke I asked him what he thought was the best game he ever played, and expected him to say something like Bioshock....

...his response? Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Can't judge a gamer by what PS360 games they're selling, apparently.

MikeMyers

Nah, I meant it in the sense that he seemed like he was only really referring to the HD era, so it shocked me when he said a Saturn game.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
So uh, I managed to get a Saturn pad working with my Xbox 360. Saturn pad to Raphnet Saturn USB adapter to CronusMax. Boot the system with a 360 controller connected to the CronusMax, then remove the controller and plug in the adapter with attached Saturn gamepad. As long as the CM is still plugged in, you will not get a controller disconnect message.

When remapping buttons in game, you may have to switch back and forth between the 360 controller and the Saturn pad + adapter (modern controllers have more inputs).

The CronusMax is also compatible with the PS3, PS4, and Xbox One, so this may work with those systems as well. Not sure if a MayFlash adapter will work. I have one but haven't bothered testing it yet.

Teknoman

They're very easy to miss. You'll need a guide, plain and simple:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/562829-panzer-dragoon-ii-zwei/faqs/19966

If you want to evolve into Solo Wing, you'll have to take all the hardest routes and complete each stage with a shotdown ratio of at least 90 percent. Good luck!

Eh i'd rather use a guide, but damn guess I got my work cut out for me. Probably gonna start Panzer Dragoon Saga since I beat Zwei the other day. Well that or Ogre Battle (but thats a PS1 side).

With all the Zwei talk, I tried the search function and came up blank. Has it ever been figured out what GameTap was doing to emulate Panzer Dragoon II Zwei? I believe its the only commercially playable version of the game outside the original Saturn print.

I believe I have been told the source code is gone, so emulation is all that is left.

Frank Cifaldi (now of of Digital Eclipse, GameTap back then) was behind it as far as I know. They used some type of "ROM->Emulator output to C" conversion on the Mega Man Legacy collection. Was this an early version of that technology, or were they using an in-house emulator?

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
With all the Zwei talk, I tried the search function and came up blank. Has it ever been figured out what GameTap was doing to emulate Panzer Dragoon II Zwei? I believe its the only commercially playable version of the game outside the original Saturn print.

I believe I have been told the source code is gone, so emulation is all that is left.

Frank Cifaldi (now of of Digital Eclipse, GameTap back then) was behind it as far as I know. They used some type of "ROM->Emulator output to C" conversion on the Mega Man Legacy collection. Was this an early version of that technology, or were they using an in-house emulator?

Sega themselves had made emulated Saturn games commercially available as early as 2003 in Japan. GameTap was probably going about it the same way.

Teknoman

The Guardian Dragon battle is insanely hype in Zwei. Even at 30 fps, just the sheer acrobatics going on during the fight paired with the music? Intense.

Teknoman

Panzer Dragoon Saga really is all that. So far, I wish the on foot sections had battles / were a little more indepth, but the flight and battle systems are great. Soundtrack is top notch of course, and one of the early themes sounds really similar to Bravehearted from the recent Terra Magica CD (well the other way around since she composed Saga way before her 2016 album release :p).

Not sure if recording a first time playthrough is a smart thing since im probably going to be reading every little piece of info, but then again I personally like that kinda stuff.

Gyrian

I finally got around to opening up and cleaning my very first Saturn, a US model 2, which turned back up in a forgotten box a couple months ago! It's modded to play backups, and with a 4M STkey it will pretty much run anything. Wish I'd remembered to take before pictures of the system, but only got around to this after I started on the controller.

Spent a couple hours trying it out with the Framemeister via s-video and was blown away by the picture quality: shockingly close to RGB in 240p! Everything runs fantastic; it even played a bunch of old CD backups that are at least 14 years old. That those CDs still work at all might've been the biggest surprise...

Here's the system:
SWfCAoC.jpg

And the controller before:
8Ypkepf.jpg

elN5daX.jpg

After:
9pbpOiA.jpg

txPYMKZ.jpg

The modchip, which I had never actually seen before. It was installed by the console's original owner back in the late 90's. I was glad to find that it was a rather nice and clean install!
Bl6c9Fc.jpg

I'm thinking of selling it now that it's back in top shape, as these days this isn't my only Saturn.

Morfeo

I actually only own the 3d pad for the Saturn, but looking into getting that original saturn since its so well regarded. Anything special i should be on the lookout for?

Morfeo

Gyrian

Just make sure you get the Model 2 pad and not the original version that released in North America.

You mean like the poor little guy I posted right above, haha. It's actually not as terrible as it looks, just that it's eclipsed by the Japanese pad. And they really are glorious. If it wasn't for the shoulder buttons having a different clicky action with little travel, they would be complete perfection.

Teknoman

Yeah the model 1 isnt that bad, but that d-pad is what killed it for me.

Anyone have any advice for Dragon mode changing mid battle in Saga? I know its probably best to go full defense if the whole field radar is red...but what about other modes? And is there any reason to just stay in normal?

Anyone here have a Saturn mod chip installed? I'm having some super weird issues with mine, and wondering if anyone's encountered this. Some discs work perfectly, but other discs I burn just produce coasters. Is this due to the way I'm burning the discs or is it possible the mod chip is faulty? It's an older mod chip, maybe I should upgrade.

If anyone has any idea I'd really appreciate it, this is so damn frustrating and confusing...and I've already wasted enough discs lol

IrishNinja

Anyone here have a Saturn mod chip installed? I'm having some super weird issues with mine, and wondering if anyone's encountered this. Some discs work perfectly, but other discs I burn just produce coasters. Is this due to the way I'm burning the discs or is it possible the mod chip is faulty? It's an older mod chip, maybe I should upgrade.

If anyone has any idea I'd really appreciate it, this is so damn frustrating and confusing...and I've already wasted enough discs lol

i think ive a newer mod chip now (got one redone in like 2012), but it either worked or it didn't...are you burning at the right speed/right media (i use verbatim or taiho yudei or whatever it is), and verifying/checking? are your ISO's legit? there could be a few issues before figuring it's the chip.

Top Bottom