• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Galdelico

I think you are off, at least in a clinical sense about the hoarding comment. It's been addressed better elsewhere, but some key components of hoarding are an unorganized retention of items of little value, where most are ashamed or embarrassed to share with others. Images of homes piled high with newspaper, junk mail, Styrofoam plates, etc being the norm. This is in pretty stark contrast to most collections. Having a lot of something doesn't equate to being a hoarder.
Yeah, of course I didn't mean to go clinical, and I don't know... Maybe I picked up the wrong word? 'Having alot' wasn't my point either.
No, I was thinking more about that Metal Jesus & Co. 'let's go out and plunder' kind of attitude, spreading across their hundreds of thousands followers. I believe this new model of collecting is slowly but surely changing/impacting the whole scenario, isn't it?

JLynn

was D&D always pricey? fuck, i totally missed that one in a lot a few years back and was salty.

Yes it was. I don't think it was a short pressing. I believe it was because of the D&D license and it was the only way to play the arcade games at home.

i still think it's worth importing saturn bomberman and making piece with losing some stages, or burning a copy of the US one for them/the dialogue if you like. don't get me wrong, 10 player bomberman stays on my gaming bucket list, but the price right now is ridiculous.

I agree. Saturn Bomberman is the truth. I would suggest buying the game disc alone and hunt around for the empty case. It's how I got it complete for about $80.00 (Heck, I posted it on this thread.

NDPsycho

Yeah, of course I didn't mean to go clinical, and I don't know... Maybe I picked up the wrong word? 'Having alot' wasn't my point either.
No, I was thinking more about that Metal Jesus & Co. 'let's go out and plunder' kind of attitude, spreading across their hundreds of thousands followers. I believe this new model of collecting is slowly but surely changing/impacting the whole scenario, isn't it?

I absolutely agree that it and pretty much any related channels are having an impact. I don't really see how you could argue that they don't. Being someone that plays and collects games, I was just a bit put off by the other generalization :)

I don't feel like I'm a dumb sheep being told what to buy. I buy things that I find interesting (sometimes by seeing it for the first time in a YT video). This meams I am contributing to the problem by finding out about games and helping drive up demand when I try to buy them. I don't feel like I'm in the minority, but I don't know how you would quantify that.

I'm sure there are some that fit the original comment, but it seems a foreign concept to me that there would be a large group of people that buy things at a ridiculous price to just have, but have no interest in it. I wouldn't rule it out, but I think it's more likely that people like me contribute to increased prices than the other.

NDPsycho

I agree. Saturn Bomberman is the truth. I would suggest buying the game disc alone and hunt around for the empty case. It's how I got it complete for about $80.00 (Heck, I posted it on this thread.

I've been lucky enough to own it twice. First when it originally came out. Had it until I sold all my Saturn stuff around 2000 or so when I bought a house. Got it again sometime around 2002 when I realized my mistake and bought it from the sega parts website along with many others for I think $30. Glad I came back around, wish I had the disposable income I have now, back then. Still only have around half the Saturn games I had at one time. It's always been a favorite to play with friends and family. If you're in to bomberman at all, it's got to be on your list. Only one that hits my nostalgia harder is the TG 93 version...which I also sold with my duo and all my TG games...younger me was foolish.

Timu

US games that are worth a pick up with their asking price over $100 CIB IMHO

Panzer Dragoon Saga YES
Magic Knight and Rayearth NO
Burning Rangers NO
Albert Odyssey NO
Dragon Force YES
Shining Force 3 YES
House of the Dead NO
Guardian Heroes YES
Saturn Bomberman YES
Shining the Holy Ark YES
Shining Wisdom NO
from what I have heard
Panzer Dragoon Saga is the only one I would pay $100+ CIB for.

MikeMyers

I'm trying to compile a list of Saturn references in pop media. We can include Model 2 stuff like arcade Fighting Vipers and VF2 since its so associated with the Saturn anyway.

So far I have:
-Evangelion (Asuka plays Saturn)
-Sailor Moon (Features Model 2 of FV & VF2)
-Sega Hard Girls (Duh!)
-Black Mask (Jet Li film)
-Dead Man on Campus (film with Saved by the Bell guy)
-Drew Carey (had it on his show)
-Malcolm in the Middle (Stevie had one)
-Jay-Z ("You're Only a Customer")
-Del the Funkee Homosapien ("Proto Culture")

Anything else?

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I'm trying to compile a list of Saturn references in pop media. We can include Model 2 stuff like arcade Fighting Vipers and VF2 since its so associated with the Saturn anyway.

So far I have:
-Sega Hard Girls (Duh!)

Anything else?

- X-Files
- High Score Girl
- Bit Fighter
- "SegaSaturn Essay Comic"

Khaz

tumblr_nmfn3aolOJ1u62ds5o4_540.png

I had never seen a high score table featuring the time and date haha

NDPsycho

In The Hunt seems to have spiked in price recently. Good time to sell it and then buy the PS1 version lol.

I used to have it on Saturn and just ended up buying it for PS1, waiting for it to arrive. I was kind of surprised to find out it performs better on PS1 when looking into getting the game again. Can't be that many 2d games that can claim that?

Timu

Castlevania is better on PS1, and apparently Street Fighter Collection?
Street Fighter Collection on PS1 has longer load times but that can easily be fixed by playing it on PS2 and setting disc read speed to fast to make the load times the same as the Saturn one, so it'll be quick. So in short that makes the PS1 version more attractive and it's cheaper than the US Saturn one as well.

MikeMyers

Well I haven't played it to confirm myself.

In reverse, the only 3D game I know which the Saturn seemed to do better was Dead or Alive. Does Sega's 3D arcade games being better than their Namco ripoffs count?

Galdelico

I used to have it on Saturn and just ended up buying it for PS1, waiting for it to arrive. I was kind of surprised to find out it performs better on PS1 when looking into getting the game again. Can't be that many 2d games that can claim that?
Not that many, when you look at ports of the same games (i.e. CAPCOM or SNK ports, to mention the most common), but there are some oddities. Recently, I bought the whole Asuka 120% trilogy for the PlayStation, and I noticed how Final seems to look quite better than Limited on the Saturn - in spite of the latter being the better game, and sporting larger sprites anyway - with more lavish backgrounds, parallax scrolling and smoother transparency effects.
Speaking about direct ports, another game I remember the PS version to be the one to go for, is DoDonPachi.

Castlevania is better on PS1, and apparently Street Fighter Collection?
Honest question. Isn't Saturn Street Fighter Collection's only problem - side to side with its PS counterpart - to run at a different resolution, compared to the arcade original games? Which is pretty much what happens with every Capcom port on the Saturn, as they all tend to look a bit 'fatter' than how they normally should, on standard CRT TVs.

In reverse, the only 3D game I know which the Saturn seemed to do better was Dead or Alive.
Well, in all fairness, PS DoA appears to be technically superior to the Saturn version. It has extra characters, seems to run at a higher resolution, it features crispier FMVs, more advanced lighting effects and Gouraud shading. That said, on the Saturn, the game just looks so much more faithful to the arcade origina, and I'll always prefer to play that version, rather than the PS port.

AmyS

Great stuff! The iconic red and green Ridge Racer car on the top left looks different too than the end product!

Daytona still has more advanced car models, but the trackside details look way more plain.

Yup, at that specific point in time, Ridge Racer certainly had to have been closer to finished than Daytona.

Well I haven't played it to confirm myself.

In reverse, the only 3D game I know which the Saturn seemed to do better was Dead or Alive. Does Sega's 3D arcade games being better than their Namco ripoffs count?

Thunder Force V is another 3D game that's better on Saturn than PS1.

NDPsycho

Well, in all fairness, PS DoA appears to be technically superior to the Saturn version. It has extra characters, seems to run at a higher resolution, it features crispier FMVs, more advanced lighting effects and Gouraud shading. That said, on the Saturn, the game just looks so much more faithful to the arcade origina, and I'll always prefer to play that version, rather than the PS port.

I like them both, but with Ayane and all of the extra unlockables, I know I put more time into the PS1 version. Though once 2 came out on Dreamcast, there was no looking back.

NDPsycho

Like too many games, I wish this had seen release in the US. So much wasted potential. I ended up with the ps1 version because it was available here. I remember buying imports back then, but with the Internet in its infancy and no ebay, it wasn't as easy to track stuff down.

Galdelico

Many don't agree - and I can honestly understand why - but I personally prefer how Grandia looks on the Saturn, rather than on the PS.

I like them both, but with Ayane and all of the extra unlockables, I know I put more time into the PS1 version. Though once 2 came out on Dreamcast, there was no looking back.
Absolutely. With me, it's just a nostalgia factor... By the time I actually imported PS DoA, I was already playing 3 on the original XBOX I believe (yeah... Talk about late to the party! :D), plus I adore arcade DoA, so the Saturn port will always be super special for me.

NDPsycho

Absolutely. With me, it's just a nostalgia factor... By the time I actually imported PS DoA, I was already playing 3 on the original XBOX I believe (yeah... Talk about late to the party! :D), plus I adore arcade DoA, so the Saturn port will always be super special for me.

You've got good taste :) DOA wasn't my first import (that was some Macross strategy game on the duo), but it was my first import on Saturn, and it was awesome at the time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

I'll echo the above comments about Street Fighter Collection being better on Playstation than Saturn, I've posted comparisons several times which show that the Saturn version is running at an incorrect aspect ratio causing the sprites to be slightly stretched. Additionally, instances of stage lag are far worse on Saturn than they are on Playstation. Taking into consideration that the Playstation version is significantly cheaper, it should be a no-brainer.

MikeMyers

SF Collection is definitely one of those games where the cover art worked better with the US Longboxes.

Also DOA1 on PS1 is how I imagine VF2 PS1 would have looked like.

Timu

I'll echo the above comments about Street Fighter Collection being better on Playstation than Saturn, I've posted comparisons several times which show that the Saturn version is running at an incorrect aspect ratio causing the sprites to be slightly stretched. Additionally, instances of stage lag are far worse on Saturn than they are on Playstation. Taking into consideration that the Playstation version is significantly cheaper, it should be a no-brainer.
Stage lag is worse on Saturn? Wow, didn't expect that.

For the original Xbox (and it works with the 360) you can DoA Ultimate, which has the arcade version and DoA2 on separate discs.

Many don't agree - and I can honestly understand why - but I personally prefer how Grandia looks on the Saturn, rather than on the PS.

DoA Ultimate uses the Saturn version, actually.

It's the Saturn version actually.

I stand corrected!

IrishNinja

so! now that i can play lightgun games again, im in the market for affordable lightguns. the stunner's gone up a bit, and normally i'd hold out but i'm reading that the Nyko cobra works for the saturn & PSX both, and apparently does a good job of it? anyone got any experience with these, it'd be great to kill 2 birds with 1 stone like this

AmyS

Nice review of the Sega Ages compilation.

xfQ4qXH.jpg

Towards the end of the Saturn’s lifespan, Working Designs did Sega fans a huge favor by releasing an outstanding compilation pack, Sega Ages. With 3 landmark AM2 titles (After Burner II, Space Harrier and OutRun) on one disc and in close-to-perfect arcade form, this is a must-own package for gamers and collectors alike. WD’s trademark deluxe packaging seals the deal and obviously, the hours of addictive and timeless gameplay makes Sega Ages the Saturn’s best domestically produced compilation.

What exactly makes a classic game a classic, then? It’s hard to define what exactly puts games in this bracket, but certain titles seem to transcend their era and breach time with their endlessly addictive play and timeless design. Nostalgia and memory also play a key role in this, as do other intangibles such as innovation, fun and a murky sense of innocence. Gamers have endless fun debating which titles actually merit this exalted status and which don’t. Then there are other titles that the majority seem to agree definitely represent a genre, a time or an innovation that makes them absolutely unforgettable for all but the most jaded and cynical gamers. There’s little argument however about the trilogy of brilliant, ground-breaking titles that Sega released in the 1986-1987 time frame Sega fans may also remember this as the first Sega golden age as this was also the same timeframe in which the company released the vastly underrated Master System, which aslo played host to impressive home translations of these three games. (In fact, Sega released an enhanced 3D version of Space Harrier using its brilliant 3D glasses in addition to the regular translation.) While the games encompass different genres, they all share in common a similar technology which was very far ahead of its time and all games share a similar technology. All three are forever linked in my mind because taken together, they created quite a sensation in arcades due to their deluxe models which really set a new standard for immersion. Graphically, the games utilized a super sophisticated sprite based technology that presented the games in a3D approach long before the advent of polygons. Their crisp, colorful visuals were quite daring for their time and blew many gamers away with their stunning innovations on many fronts. What’s surprising from the perspective of 15 years is how well the visuals stand up, as they are quite straightforward in their presentation and also quite simple but incredibly fun in the gameplay department. Its for all of these reasons that these three games are still so memorable and are still as much fun today as they were when they came out.

You can say all you want about the current state of gaming with its reliance on flashy graphics over solid gameplay and cheesy licensed titles, but one thing is certain, when you plug in a classic and the memories flood back, its a sensation like few others, especially for older gamers. Take the case of After Burner II, one of the most intense and innovative flight games ever made, and took the art and design of video games to a whole new level single handedly. After Burner II was an incredible leap forward with it’s innovative system of missiles and machine guns, speed changes and incredible spins were and incredible technical accomplishment that was incredibly sophisticated for its time yet didn’t hurt the immediacy and pick-up-and-play appeal of the gameplay. The intense shooting action and made for the perfect exercise in thumb candy as well, so in addition to flashy graphics, the main goal of solid, fun gameplay wasn’t ignored, which makes this a refreshing change of pace from too many games these days. A well balanced shooter with incredibly intense action, beautiful graphics and a difficulty level that still impresses today, After Burner is one of those rare classic titles that manages to stay as a standard long after release. With the exception of Namco’s Ace Combat, there really hasn’t been any other significant entries in the genre in quite some time. The Saturn edition of After Burner II is a beautiful arcade translation and while the controls are great with a standard controller, using the Analog controller (implemented in the Saturn version for the first time) players finally have a good sense of how incredible the game truly was in the arcades. After Burner’s excellent controls are only enhanced further if players are fortunate enough to own the rare Saturn Analog Mission Stick which very closely resembles the flight controller used on the original arcade coin-op. Another impressive aspect of the game as it appears on Sega Ages is the flawless nature of the translation, which allows for all the animations and details in the stages to appear in an uncompromised form which makes the translations released on the SMS seem anemic and weak in comparison. The sound translation in After Burner II is also superb, accurately representing the feel of the original game’s score making for an outstanding translation overall.

Space Harrier is another example of Sega AM2’s early brilliance, one of the earliest examples of the creativity and fun that Sega has become known for. While this unique first person shooter spawned several half-hearted sequels, the original title is still the most memorable in the series. With it’s out-there enemies and intensely strange otherworldly course, Space Harrier did an excellent job of putting the player in an alien world where they had to fight demons, avoid obstacles and then face some of the most impressive bosses of their time. What really made the game fun was it’s simplicity, there were no power-ups or other distractions, the emphasis was on pure skill and technique, which is why, I think, the game still holds up so well these days. While Space Harrier has a remarkably simple concept, the game’s sense of 3D space made it far more than a mindless shooter because it allowed the player an unprecedented freedom of movement and also represented quite a technical leap forward thanks to its visual intensity, speed and clarity which hadn’t even been attempted up to that point. Some may argue that the brightly colored pastel pinks and blues severely date the game visuals, but there is a consistency in the design of the levels and enemies that still holds up quite well. Still, its the enemy designs which make the game so memorable. From it’s two-headed dragon bosses, psychedelic mushrooms and cycloptic mammoths, few designs in gaming have been so unforgettable as the surrealistic images created in Space Harrier. What’s more impressive is that such a succulent course of eye candy as this was created on what is now such primitive hardware. Then there’s the unforgettable musical score, which has been faithfully reproduced here as well. Of course, the main reason the game holds up so well is its gameplay, which is endlessly challenging and addictive - the feel of the controls is just about perfect making for a simply sublime playing experience. Like all of the games on the Sega Ages disc, Space Harrier implements analog control for the first time and play is greatly enhanced because of it. The overall excellence in its balance between challenge and fun is still evident and the game holds up well due to this. While most shooters grow monotonous after a few levels, the aforementioned creativity in design really helps blunt this while motivating the player to keep going.

Long before the advent of Daytona USA and Sega Rally, 1986’s Out Run established Sega as a master of the driving genre. A technical tour de force, this was the first racing title to feature multiple branching courses, shifting track widths and hills. As the sentimental favorite for me on the compilation, the re-appearance of the original game was quite a thrill especially after suffering from some weak sequels. Does anyone else remember Turbo Out Run or Out Run 2018? No, I thought not. This translation moves a bit faster than I remembered it, thought that may be a case of playing the Master System version so much. Fortunately, the game feels quite familiar and Out Run’s timeless elegance remains undiminished by the seas of time. As one of the most addictive arcade racers of all time, the simplicity and challenge of the game are what makes it so appealing. One of the coolest aspects of the game was it’s multiple paths, which allowed for quite a variation of scenery and kept the demons of racing monotony at a safe distance. This was obviously a revolutionary approach back in 1986, and allowed the player to choose their own destiny in a way that hadn’t been attempted previously in any racer. The way the branches work makes it possible to play through the game several times and not see any of the same levels, save for the first heat. With 17 different racing segments, its difficult to complain about a lack of variety in the game. This allowed the player a great deal of freedom and also allowed the constant challenge of different obstacles to appear through the course of each race. This is one of the key elements of Out Run’s enduring appeal, along with the multiple endings which are still a rarity in racing titles, even today. Visually the game is still quite impressive and the arcade perfect translation allows all the details and splendor of the original to be seen in its full glory, with added animation and trackside details restored in this version, making for an exercise in peerless arcade fun. The controls are the same as you remember them and even though the game supports the analog controller, it seems to benefit least from it. On the bright side, Out Run soars in enjoyment when played with the arcade racer or any other decent steering wheel controller and allows the player to truly recapture the elusive arcade feel. One area that might bother some purists is the music, which has been redone by the original composer. The new contemporary techno elements and other changes might bother some, but thankfully the new remixed versions largely stay faithful to the originals, with players once again selecting from one of three ‘stations’ before each race with all your favorite Out Run songs like "Magical Sound Shower", "Splash Wave" and "Passing Breeze" making return appearances. Like the other games, Out Run is an undeniable classic which should offer players plenty of fun, challenge and enjoyment as they take a spin down Sega Memory Lane.

So overall, it goes without saying that the package is a superlative addition to any Sega fan’s library. While they bring plenty of nostalgia and golden memories of the company’s glorious past with them, all three remain solid and highly playable games that still offer plenty of fun and challenge even by today’s more sophisticated expectations and technical standards. The near-flawless translations make this the one Saturn compilation that must be owned. The fact that all three games are included on a single disc and not split in three separate volumes as was done in Japan makes this edition the most desirable. Add in the fact that Working Designs did an exemplary job of producing the game with a full color manual printed in full-color on glossy paper and this game is pretty much mandatory from a collectors’ standpoint, regardless of rarity. The deluxe packaging is appreciated because of the status of the classic games it contains means something special is definitely in order. All in all, Sega Ages is a gem of the Saturn’s releases, reminding players just how great Sega was and remains. While not the most common Saturn game, Sega Ages is well-worth seeking out if hasn’t already taken a up a permanent place in your gaming library.

n1bsMge.jpg

I never thought reading something in a game manual could make me feel any emotion -- but Hiro talking about Passing Breeze, the end of summer and feeling sorrowful... well yeah, that was touching, and great.

Gyrian

so! now that i can play lightgun games again, im in the market for affordable lightguns. the stunner's gone up a bit, and normally i'd hold out but i'm reading that the Nyko cobra works for the saturn & PSX both, and apparently does a good job of it? anyone got any experience with these, it'd be great to kill 2 birds with 1 stone like this

Irish, I actually have one of these that I remember being pretty nice for Time Crisis on PS1.
Found it again in the same box as my old Saturn shown a few posts earlier; it's yours if you like.

KC-Slater

So far I have:
-Sega Hard Girls (Duh!)

Anything else?

Mallrats

NDPsycho

I miss being able to play older light gun games. I don't have a crt anymore. There are some good ones for wii and move, but I'd really like to play VC 1 & 2 again...oh and confidential mission on DC.

Khaz

At least it's not on the list of Working Designs shit light guns (in the Elemental Gearbolt manual)

Tain

GunGriffon is a pretty cool game. It's a bit simple, but the mech movement options are a lot of fun (manual torso rotation, a satisfying "dash mode", floating around) and the visuals stand out a bit as far as 3D Saturn games go, if my memory serves me right.

Top Bottom