• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Khaz

As you can see I have Quake as well as DOOM, Hexen and Duke Nukem 3D. I also have Tomb Raider. Then the two Fox movie titles. Alien Trilogy and Independence Day. Also the original The Need For Speed and my favorite, Virtua Racing. And just for the heck of it, MYST and SimCity 2000. I wonder if there are any similar games I should have picked up back in the day. Glad I got what I did though. Especially all those early DOS FPS ports.

You'd probably have been happier with a PC back in the day, eh.
But you're missing Exhumed / Powerslave! The one game that is actually different from its DOS counterpart.

Conezays

Mail delivery!

Looking forward to seeing the differences in Daytona as well as checking out the other games. Most were gotten pretty cheap compared to my shmup binging, lol.

Actually added a Saturn game to my collection, friend sold it to me at a really fair price.

27456714481_721224b7f4_h.jpg

MikeMyers

I have Pal numbers for most of the pre Dreamcast formats. Sega Rally was the top selling PAL Saturn game.

Okay, so I've worked your numbers in conjunction to NPD and Japanese software sales, and this the top 10 I've gotten:
01. Virtua Fighter 2 - 2,600,000
02. Sega Rally Championship - 1,440,000
02. Daytona USA - 1,420,000
03. Virtua Cop - 1,280,000
05. Virtua Fighter - 1,080,000
06. NiGHTS into Dreams... - 740,000
07. Fighters Megamix - 720,000
08. Panzer Dragoon - 580,000
09. Sakura Wars - 560,000
10. Super Robot Taisen F - 550,000
Hardware Sales: 9.26 million

Obviously, it isn't 100% accurate, but it gives a vague idea of what a Top 10 Saturn WW Software sales would look like. For what its worth, it does seem like VF2 and Sega Rally are the most popular games on the system.

AmyS

I know this is the Saturn thread, but I have to put this here also

AmyS said:
Check out this video of a local, (LAN?) 4-player PS3 / Logitech G27 Daytona USA setup.

RH82PLJ.jpg

I didn't know it was possible to have a LAN / system link like that with 4x PS3s. How do you guys think this was done? could it be they're all connected to PSN? I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole lot about networking.

Nice huh?

KC-Slater

Nice huh?

This rules! I've thought about doing the same thing (in light of the PS3s/LCDs being the cheapest they ever have been) but unfortunately I don't think the PS3 version of Daytona supports LAN gameplay -- you're at the mercy of the game being hosted on PSN, which is sort of a bummer...

Tain

This rules! I've thought about doing the same thing (in light of the PS3s/LCDs being the cheapest they ever have been) but unfortunately I don't think the PS3 version of Daytona supports LAN gameplay -- you're at the mercy of the game being hosted on PSN, which is sort of a bummer...

That is a bummer if so, especially given that the same port team did Oratorio Tangram on 360 with LAN play.

AmyS

That's pretty much what I thought. But I wonder if PS3 itself is capable being connected via LAN.

That is a bummer if so, especially given that the same port team did Oratorio Tangram on 360 with LAN play.

Really VO:OT on 360 has LAN play?

Edit: googled, yeah so it does.

Commo

Banned
A repost from the June pickups thread:

Got this in today from an Amazon seller for only $11.03-

13403768_1329656893716631_2990432191509728963_o.jpg

I thought it was pretty good deal compared to eBay. It's complete and includes an EA Games advertisement card.

A repost from the June pickups thread:

Got this in today from an Amazon seller for only $11.03-

13403768_1329656893716631_2990432191509728963_o.jpg

I thought it was pretty good deal compared to eBay. It's complete and includes an EA Games advertisement card.

Is there a difference with the silver Sega Seal of Quality versus the gold one?

Conezays

I tried playing Space Hulk today, and I keep getting killed instantly by the genestealers (is that what they are called?). Is there a difficulty setting somewhere that I am missing?

Can't really help you as I haven't played but what are your general impressions of the game?

Conezays

Anyone experience this before or know what to do? Turned on my Saturn after unplugging it from the power outlet and PVM, etc. and it's now showing a yellow picture.

Tried a different SCART cable and works fine...very odd. Never had a single issue with the cable and it's from retro gaming cables uk. And now the original cable works normally too; no idea what occurred but glad it's "fixed" I suppose! Still interested to hear anyone's thoughts who have more technical knowhow than me.

D.Lo

Anyone experience this before or know what to do? Turned on my Saturn after unplugging it from the power outlet and PVM, etc. and it's now showing a yellow picture.

Tried a different SCART cable and works fine...very odd. Never had a single issue with the cable and it's from retro gaming cables uk. And now the original cable works normally too; no idea what occurred but glad it's "fixed" I suppose! Still interested to hear anyone's thoughts who have more technical knowhow than me.
Blue signal/pin not connecting correctly is all.

Commo

Banned
Can't really help you as I haven't played but what are your general impressions of the game?

Tough, and nothing like Warhammer. It plays more like Alien vs. Predator for Atari Jaguar.

Anyway, I found a copy of Powerslave at a local retro game shop, but they are selling it for $89.99 and WON'T haggle with the price. It is cheaper than ebay, but it's a freaking disc-based game.

NDPsycho

Tough, and nothing like Warhammer. It plays more like Alien vs. Predator for Atari Jaguar.

Anyway, I found a copy of Powerslave at a local retro game shop, but they are selling it for $89.99 and WON'T haggle with the price. It is cheaper than ebay, but it's a freaking disc-based game.

Just curious, but I'm not following your comment about it being a disk based game... That's not much compared to what many other disks run.

Conezays

Blue signal/pin not connecting correctly is all.

Fair enough, hope it's not something more serious.

Re: Powerslave, if it's decent condition you may want to grab it, Commo. Also remember you can grab Exhumed (PAL version) and it'll run fine with an AR cart on a NTSC Saturn.

NDPsycho

The reason why I bring up the fact it is a disc-based game-

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Di...ote-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

Some of the prices for these games are ridiculous and there is no guarantee that they will still work after a few more years.

I see, though I think the concerns over this are highly exaggerated. I have thousands of disk based games and have yet to encounter any disk lost to rot. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, clearly it does. I just don't see it as a widespread problem. I've had carts that fail too, but I don't go into it thinking most of my carts will fail in my lifetime. I suppose we will eventually find out, but there doesn't seem to be any substantial research to indicate how wide spread a problem it is or could be, let alone what is the primary cause. Is it environmental? Is it manufacturing errors? User neglect?

That said, there are far more expensive disks to be found on Saturn and if it was in nice shape, that seems like a decent price. I can see why you might be apprehensive though, gotta stick with what you're comfortable with.

braves01

Banned
I thought I read something about heat/humidity being primary factors contributing to disc rot. It makes sense to me. If there's particulate matter between layers from manufacturing, heat and moisture expanding that matter would really aggravate any minor manufacturing errors.

---

Anyways, I'm incredibly impressed with the 4MB fighters on this thing. I can see how it blew minds back in 1997/98 to be able to play recent, year-old arcade games at home for an affordable price (looking at you NeoGeo).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, Saturn's the best retro console for arcade ports imo.

Depends on what era you are targeting. The NES and Genesis have claims for their era as well. Dreamcast is no slouch either and N64 also got a decent amount of arcade love.

Then there is the NEO-GEO, but that's basically cheating.

MikeMyers

Dreamcast gets disqualified for that rushed VF3 port. Still salty on that one.

Kinda funny how they botched putting their biggest Mega Drive/Genesis IP on Saturn, then botched their biggest Saturn IP on Dreamcast.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dreamcast gets disqualified for that rushed VF3 port. Still salty on that one.

Kinda funny how they botched putting their biggest Mega Drive/Genesis IP on Saturn, then botched their biggest Saturn IP on Dreamcast.

Sega's only good hardware launch is their final one, the western launch of Dreamcast.

I see, though I think the concerns over this are highly exaggerated. I have thousands of disk based games and have yet to encounter any disk lost to rot. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, clearly it does. I just don't see it as a widespread problem. I've had carts that fail too, but I don't go into it thinking most of my carts will fail in my lifetime. I suppose we will eventually find out, but there doesn't seem to be any substantial research to indicate how wide spread a problem it is or could be, let alone what is the primary cause. Is it environmental? Is it manufacturing errors? User neglect?

That said, there are far more expensive disks to be found on Saturn and if it was in nice shape, that seems like a decent price. I can see why you might be apprehensive though, gotta stick with what you're comfortable with.

I think as long as they are temperature/moisture controlled and not in cheap binders (some of the plastic is petroleum based and can dissolve the back (data) layer on discs), they seem to last better than most.

Sorry for the noob question but I really can't the messy Action Replay thing on the Saturn.

I know there is a version which enables other region play + memory backup + 4MB expansion RAM
As far as I searched on the internet that version is called Action Replay 4M Plus. The problem is that cart was released in the west, so my "noob question" is : can I use that AR 4M Plus with my japanese SS to play pal games ?

Uhm, before posting I checked again and seems like it works (first link with that info was play-asia), but I would like to have confirmation by people from here which are more reliable than most of other sources.

Conezays

Sorry for the noob question but I really can't the messy Action Replay thing on the Saturn.

I know there is a version which enables other region play + memory backup + 4MB expansion RAM
As far as I searched on the internet that version is called Action Replay 4M Plus. The problem is that cart was released in the west, so my "noob question" is : can I use that AR 4M Plus with my japanese SS to play pal games ?

Uhm, before posting I checked again and seems like it works (first link with that info was play-asia), but I would like to have confirmation by people from here which are more reliable than most of other sources.

Yes, that should be fine. In some cases there are PAL-optimized games that will run in 50hz only.

Check here for a list of games:

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_saturn_pal.html

Basically, I would avoid the games with a red star.

EDIT: In case I was unclear, I wasn't saying to avoid those games in general, just if you're playing the PAL versions on NTSC/Japanese Saturns.

Khaz

Quake.... >_<

I wonder if Quake didn't get it better in 50Hz. As a polygonal game it could be made to the increased resolution (no vertical crush and black bars), and it would have less slowdown as the console has more time to process each frame. The gameplay speed should have to be adjusted too.

Or it was a shit PAL-optimisation that solved nothing and slowed down the gameplay.

I got my Saturn out of storage recently; it had not been played in 10 years. Crazy thing was my Backup cartridge still had all my save games on it...until today. Yeah, something happened and it lost all my saves. Fortunately I had copied the most important ones over to system save memory after I put a new CR-2032A battery in. Now I'm wondering if my Backup cartridge is going south.

I was a partner in a startup back in the late 90s, and sadly to keep my gaming hobby going I had to trade away lots of games. I graded away Panzer Dragoon Saga for Radiant Silvergun, for example, but eventually traded away Radiant Silvergun for something that I can't remember, but I know it is something that is now common. Burning Rangers, House of the Dead, Sega Ages (US), and so on, all were owned by me, all gone now. And now my Panzer Dragoon Saga save files are gone as well.

I still have Saturn Bomberman and Guardian Heroes, though. Bought them both at Toys R Us on release day, and I still have them. Memories.

Khaz

I got my Saturn out of storage recently; it had not been played in 10 years. Crazy thing was my Backup cartridge still had all my save games on it...until today. Yeah, something happened and it lost all my saves. Fortunately I had copied the most important ones over to system save memory after I put a new CR-2032A battery in. Now I'm wondering if my Backup cartridge is going south.

Did you touch it while the console was on, or moved the console, and the cartridge now asks to be formatted? The FAT can become corrupt if the cartridge loses power when accessing it. The save data is still here, but the way to access it isn't. There is a trick to recover most of it though: by initiating a format, then instantly switching the console off. It may reset the FAT and restore most of your saves, although the oldest ones can be wiped in the process. Still better than nothing. Although if you have already formatted the cart, then it's over.

Did you touch it while the console was on, or moved the console, and the cartridge now asks to be formatted? The FAT can become corrupt if the cartridge loses power when accessing it. The save data is still here, but the way to access it isn't. There is a trick to recover most of it though: by initiating a format, then instantly switching the console off. It may reset the FAT and restore most of your saves, although the oldest ones can be wiped in the process. Still better than nothing. Although if you have already formatted the cart, then it's over.

I would have tried this if I had known, but it's too late, I formatted the cart earlier today. Like I said, I already had the most important game saves, so it's not a big deal.

However, it's all for naught now until I repair my system, as the spindle motor somehow, strangely, gave up the ghost tonight. I've opened up the system and am pressing the sensor so the system thinks the door is closed, and sure enough while the lens will seek and focus, the spindle no longer turns at all. So my Saturn is non functional until I can replace the optical drive. And while new lens mechanisms are available for the drive, it looks like I'll need a whole new drive since the spindle motor itself has stopped responding. And yes, I re-seated the 21-pin data cable and the power connectors. Sigh. Maybe I shouldn't have let it sit in storage for the last decade.

ShowDog

I'm working on a play through of Duke 3D on the Saturn for whatever reason, I gave it a whirl now that I've got RGB through a JVC PVM and realized I've never gotten beyond the first 3 levels despite owning multiple ports of the game. It's occasionally frustrating with no quicksaves and the frame rate isn't always the greatest, but it's good fun and I think I'll have to scout for Powerslave and Quake next.

My first thought on my spindle motor dying is, well, I'll box this up for a few months and try to buy a Phoebe USB reader for the system at some point, then I don't need an optical drive for it, I can just rip all my games.

My current thought is maybe the power supply is going and it killed the drive motor and wiped my Backup cart. I definitely didn't turn off the system when using the Backup cart.

So now I'd be wary of using this system with a $160 Phoebe that it might kill. :-/

EDIT: just tested the actual spindle motor by powering the contacts on the board directly with a battery. As expected, the motor itself still works. But the system no longer spins it.

braves01

Banned
My first thought on my spindle motor dying is, well, I'll box this up for a few months and try to buy a Phoebe USB reader for the system at some point, then I don't need an optical drive for it, I can just rip all my games.

My current thought is maybe the power supply is going and it killed the drive motor and wiped my Backup cart. I definitely didn't turn off the system when using the Backup cart.

So now I'd be wary of using this system with a $160 Phoebe that it might kill. :-/

EDIT: just tested the actual spindle motor by powering the contacts on the board directly with a battery. As expected, the motor itself still works. But the system no longer spins it.

Can you explain what this is?

Top Bottom