• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

hahaha Batman Forever is such awesome crap

it's a fun 90's arcade beat-em-up, but like the movie, it's oddly colorful, occasionally uncomfortable and at times i very much have no idea what's going on, only that nothing that's going down feels like batman or gotham...but it's at least more entertaining than the movie

also? best POWER UP screens since Altered Beast

Laws00

I have not posted in awhile here but here you go

I don't remember if I posted these when I got them last year

13319814_10209188680653812_7068454938370788037_n.jpg

Nudull

Banned

it's a fun 90's arcade beat-em-up, but like the movie, it's oddly colorful, occasionally uncomfortable and at times i very much have no idea what's going on, only that nothing that's going down feels like batman or gotham...but it's at least more entertaining than the movie

Interesting to see this was a pre-Turok Iguana Entertainment game. o.o

Conezays

Better than the movie, eh? I have a soft spot for Batman Forever, though perhaps as I'm a fan of Val Kilmer. Haven't played the game but glad you're enjoying it.

I beat Blazing Dragons over the weekend. Overall I thought it was great adventure game for fans of the genre with strong writing and some tough puzzles.

Khaz

I bought and completed Blazing Dragons a couple months ago, and yeah, it's a great game. I really enjoyed it.

The Saturn version is the better one for PAL gamers, as neither it nor the PS1 version are PAL-optimised, but only the Saturn can be modded for 60Hz. Otherwise they are probably identical.

MikeMyers

Yeah I really liked Val Kilmer as Bruce/Batman too. I'd at least put Forever above B&R.

As for the game, still need to try it out. Pretty interesting it is one of the few western-developed 3rd party games where the Saturn version is the original one.

BTails

So, I may have done something bad today...

0IhFIpu.jpg

JETKpMc.jpg

Remember folks, LEGAL backups only!

Now, with that out of the way... I am noticing some slight jailbars after installing the mod... I'm thinking maybe the power wire is not soldered correctly. I'll have my dad look at it next month when he's in town, he used to repair electronics for a living.

D.Lo

The white version of that has been my main PS1/2 controller for maybe 10 years. Makes 2D games playable without left thumb pain!

Unfortunately the pins in the cord are a bit low quality and one got pushed in. I fixed it and have now semi-permanently attached the controller to an extension cord so no further damage can ever occur!

Looks like they're now worth a fortune on ebay too. Wish I bought two back in the day!

MikeMyers

Man the Saturn library seems really unappealing to non-hardcore gamers here in the US. A friend of mine noticed my system and was talking about how he had a Genesis back in the day. I was showing him some Saturn classics but the only game he seemed to have interest in was....
Sonic 3D Blast

Even X-Men Vs. Street Fighter just got met with "Eh, I was always more into Mortal Kombat."

System and library is fine, your friend is not. Time to get a new friend.

But seriously, if you weren't into Arcade ports, it wasn't for you. I'm in the US and I love the Saturn

Man the Saturn library seems really unappealing to non-hardcore gamers here in the US. A friend of mine noticed my system and was talking about how he had a Genesis back in the day. I was showing him some Saturn classics but the only game he seemed to have interest in was....
Sonic 3D Blast

Even X-Men Vs. Street Fighter just got met with "Eh, I was always more into Mortal Kombat."

Did you show him MK Trilogy then?

Teknoman

Speaking of Mortal Kombat I always did these in elementary school, not to this extent tho. lol

lol we would draw character fights during art time...and in elementary school im surprised our teacher didnt think we were strange. Of course it was with kid level art, but there was blood, fatalities, the pit, etc.

I guess she had kids too, or maybe didnt really pay attention too much to the content.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I'm not saying the Saturn sucks or anything, but it's library is a lot more Japanese-centric than the Genesis/Mega Drive was.

As for MKT, never played the Saturn version! I've played the PSX and N64 versions though. I've thought about getting UMK3.

StevieWhite

So, I may have done something bad today...

0IhFIpu.jpg

JETKpMc.jpg

Remember folks, LEGAL backups only!

Now, with that out of the way... I am noticing some slight jailbars after installing the mod... I'm thinking maybe the power wire is not soldered correctly. I'll have my dad look at it next month when he's in town, he used to repair electronics for a living.

Sweet! How long did it take?

_Ryo_

Better than the movie, eh? I have a soft spot for Batman Forever, though perhaps as I'm a fan of Val Kilmer. Haven't played the game but glad you're enjoying it.

I beat Blazing Dragons over the weekend. Overall I thought it was great adventure game for fans of the genre with strong writing and some tough puzzles.

Had this game as a kid and i could not progress at all... :X

Commo

Banned
I was convinced after the Quake thread, so I managed to snag a copy off of Amazon for $45 brand new/sealed-

13323763_1324968477518806_3353459018264688446_o.jpg

Which was shockingly cheaper than the used copies listed on eBay currently.

Also,I'm loving the verbal abuse-

13346737_1325620044120316_2082472368556748090_n.jpg

Commo

Banned
My mom just came back from Florida with this guy-

13346105_1326338730715114_2594343623921950572_o.jpg

She paid $70 for it. You know you have good taste in games when $70 is considered a steal. It still has the Sega Soft registration sticker with the serial number.

piggychan

My mom just came back from Florida with this guy-

She paid $70 for it. You know you have good taste in games when $70 is considered a steal. It still has the Sega Soft registration sticker with the serial number.

This was a game back in the day where I couldn't find any info or reviews about it so I let it go from my radar... Another game that I couldn't find any information about was this fella...

Wish I grabbed them back then..

saturn_hercsadventures_front.png

Commo

Banned
This was a game back in the day where I couldn't find any info or reviews about it so I let it go from my radar... Another game that I couldn't find any information about was this fella...

Wish I grabbed them back then..

saturn_hercsadventures_front.png

I managed to snag a copy of the Sega Saturn version of Herc's Adventures off of ebay before it hit astronomical prices.

MikeMyers

So in the general forum, there's a thread on Famitsu readers voting for top 10 most memorable games per system, and here is the list for Saturn:

10. Super Robot Wars F - 60 votes
9. Guardian Heroes - 72 votes
8. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren’s Ambition - 78 votes
7. Nights - 93 votes
6. Grandia - 105 votes
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 129 votes
4. Sakura Taisen 2 - 147 votes
3. Virtua Fighter - 203 votes
2. Virtua Fighter 2 - 252 votes
1. Sakura Taisen - 361 votes

Out of those I've played #1, #2, #3, #7, and #9.

cj_iwakura

So in the general forum, there's a thread on Famitsu readers voting for top 10 most memorable games per system, and here is the list for Saturn:

10. Super Robot Wars F - 60 votes
9. Guardian Heroes - 72 votes
8. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren’s Ambition - 78 votes
7. Nights - 93 votes
6. Grandia - 105 votes
5. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 129 votes
4. Sakura Taisen 2 - 147 votes
3. Virtua Fighter - 203 votes
2. Virtua Fighter 2 - 252 votes
1. Sakura Taisen - 361 votes

Out of those I've played #1, #2, #3, #7, and #9.

I own 7 out of 10, not bad. Well, I own Grandia and GH on other systems, close enough. I do own Sakura 1 & 2 and Soul Hackers on Saturn, though.

Very glad that my third favorite SMT game is on the best console.

MikeMyers

Altered Beast got the sickest presentation.

There's a correlation with best selling Saturn games

Eh...NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes, Gundam, Grandia, and Megami Tensei aren't among the top 10 best selling Saturn games in Japan, but they charted here. Also VF2 was by far the best selling Saturn game, but came in 2nd place.

VF2 is actually the only game on a Sega platform to sell over a million units, lol.

MikeMyers

It's too bad Sega never releases software sales. I'd like to see what the best selling games on stuff like the Master System was.

We seem to have worldwide 1st party million sellers for Saturn & Dreamcast though:

Saturn:
-Daytona USA
-Sega Rally Championship
-Virtua Cop
-Virtua Fighter
-Virtua Fighter 2

Dreamcast:
-Crazy Taxi
-Sega Sports NFL 2K
-Sega Sports NFL 2k1
-Shenmue
-Sonic Adventure

Dat AM2 domination on Saturn.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just wanted to bump this to show off a few of the Saturn games I own. This isn't all of them. But it's my best ones. Bought them all 12 years ago when I went through my collecting phase.

As you can see I have Quake as well as DOOM, Hexen and Duke Nukem 3D. I also have Tomb Raider. Then the two Fox movie titles. Alien Trilogy and Independence Day. Also the original The Need For Speed and my favorite, Virtua Racing. And just for the heck of it, MYST and SimCity 2000. I wonder if there are any similar games I should have picked up back in the day. Glad I got what I did though. Especially all those early DOS FPS ports.

I have probably never put Quake in my Saturn. Or even Tomb Raider, MYST or Duke Nukem and Hexen. I should sit down one day and try playing all of them.

Yes, that is a Not For Resale Sonic the Hedgehog in a worn out Sega Nomad behind them.

Top Bottom