• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

Bit of a cross-post, but how often do you get Scart cables to plug into your PVM (Sony PVM1354Q)? :p

Layer Section:

Ghouls N' Ghosts:

Bomberman:

Yeah, people tend to forget Alpha 2 was more of a remake than a sequel.
Alpha 2, Darkstalkers 2 (Night Warriors), Street Fighter III (Part 2): Giant Attack... all three of those games are enhanced remakes of their predecessor that were later followed with a third game that's the real sequel. So I'd call Alpha 2 and 3 just part of a pattern of how Capcom was making fighting games in the mid '90s.

braves01

Banned
Alpha 2, Darkstalkers 2 (Night Warriors), Street Fighter III (Part 2): Giant Attack... all three of those games are enhanced remakes of their predecessor that were later followed with a third game that's the real sequel. So I'd call Alpha 2 and 3 just part of a pattern of how Capcom was making fighting games in the mid '90s.

I think the added mechanics of Alpha 3 overly complicate things though, for that reason I prefer 2. Even Vampire Savior (which is my favorite fighter) has stuff like Dark Force that I don't think really adds much. I respect the clean simplicity of the earlier games.

piggychan

I think the added mechanics of Alpha 3 overly complicate things though, for that reason I prefer 2. Even Vampire Savior (which is my favorite fighter) has stuff like Dark Force that I don't think really adds much. I respect the clean simplicity of the earlier games.

Absolutely love the saturn release of vampire hunter. Those unlockables just extend to what is a fantastic gift Capcom offered to saturn owners and imo one of the first titles to set apart the 2D abilities of the 32bit consoles.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
picked up virtua fighter kids cib for $20

RnevlLGh.jpg

the remix of shun's theme is amazing!!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Their big heads and tiny limbs always make me misjudge distances :/
yeah it's hard to compensate for. after playing a bit, here are some impressions
- game looks a lot better than i remember thinking it did from YouTube videos, 60fps and very colorful
- vf2 winpose glitch works... kinda. it's much less hilarious, you just are frozen in your fighting stance
- the ability to macro combos to buttons is really neat
- there is seemingly a gigantic cookie man peeking out from behind a mountain on jacky's stage

10/10

Conezays

Enjoyed some Batsugun earlier tonight. Have yet to 1CC it (on easy, Lol) but getting close.

Just ordered mint copies of Gekirindan and In The Hunt. Not a bad end to the week! Can't get over how great tate mode looks on the PVM; I had no idea what I was missing for some of these Saturn shmups.

MikeMyers

That's true, but I gotta wonder how much SF3's failure influenced Alpha 3. For example, SF3 mostly has a new cast, while Alpha 3 brings back a lot of fan favorites.

womp

Was wondering if anyone in here can help me. I have these two Saturn games left over from back in the day of owning a Saturn console, however I have no system to test them on. I have been starting to sell off a bunch of my old gaming collection in the B/S/T thread (I need to clean house a bit and not much of a collector these days) but obviously am hesitant to include them due to their condition.

Unfortunately they were involved in some water damage a few years back and I had to sadly dispose of the original packaging. The discs are in otherwise great condition except for the edges of both of them. Without a Saturn to test them on, are these games likely to run in this condition? They always worked fine before but now I have no clue. I was a big SHMUP fan back in the day and these were always two of my favorite games so it is heartbreaking all around.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately they were involved in some water damage a few years back and I had to sadly dispose of the original packaging. The discs are in otherwise great condition except for the edges of both of them. Without a Saturn to test them on, are these games likely to run in this condition? They always worked fine before but now I have no clue. I was a big SHMUP fan back in the day and these were always two of my favorite games so it is heartbreaking all around.

Thanks guys.

They both have redbook audio. Stick it in your computer or cd player and see if the music plays. Audio is on a different part of the disc but at least that will give you some idea.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's true, but I gotta wonder how much SF3's failure influenced Alpha 3. For example, SF3 mostly has a new cast, while Alpha 3 brings back a lot of fan favorites.

Arcade buyers didn't want the hardware SF3 was made for, so Zero/Alpha 3 was made for them.

I personally find it a much better game too, but it's clear asset rehash just like MvC 2.

MikeMyers

I guess CPS3 is Capcom's Saturn then.

Also I think most people prefer Alpha 3 over SF3. The Dreamcast SKU of 3rd Strike barely outsold the Dreamcast version Alpha 3 in Japan, despite Alpha 3 being a mere PSX port while 3rd Strike was an actual exclusive.

Nudull

Banned
Alpha 3 did come to me first before SF3. It was one of the first Street Fighter games I ever saw and played, and despite me being pretty terrible at it, I was drawn in by the anime-style graphics and all of the characters. I wouldn't get to play SF3 until very recently, but I did know about it.

D.Lo

I guess CPS3 is Capcom's Saturn then.

Also I think most people prefer Alpha 3 over SF3. The Dreamcast SKU of 3rd Strike barely outsold the Dreamcast version Alpha 3 in Japan, despite Alpha 3 being a mere PSX port while 3rd Strike was an actual exclusive.
There are all sorts of caveats to that though.

Zero 3 Dreamcast was released in mid 1999, SF3: W Impact was released at the end of 1999, and 3rd Strike was released in mid 2000 - only a bit over half a year before the Dreamcast was discontinued by Sega.

In the same timeframe, Capcom also released Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and the massively long awaited Naomi-run Capcom vs SNK was on the horizon. I know back then I was looking forward to CvS the most, and thought I could live without 3rd Strike since I had Double Impact.

Just like in the arcades, my thinking is 3rd Strike was a victim of oversaturation of Street Fighter games in a very short time period.

That said, Zero 3 was clearly designed as a well done cash-in 'crowd pleaser' at that point, especially the home versions and later arcade revisions. It pandered to casual fans by containing the entire Super Street Fighter II Turbo cast. Much like the recent 3D games have basically done.

MikeMyers

I'm not saying Alpha 3 is the objectively better game or anything, but that it seemed to have caught on more with casuals than the SF3 series, albeit a lot of the reasons is due to Alpha 3 being released under better circumstances.

D.Lo

Yeah it was definitely more popular.

Partly because of what it was (a more 'normal' continuation of Street Fighter with all the classic characters included) and also because it was positioned better, getting released on more widespread arcade hardware, and also getting solid, timely home ports.

Such a shame to me though. It's a much worse game than Zero 2 and Giant Attack and 3rd Strike.

TeaJay

I have the US version of Astal, but I wanted to try out the japanese version because it's supposedly easier, so I burned myself a copy. The problem is both copies I tried (different speeds) hang at the same spot, in the second stage near the end. I'm thinking it's something to do with the game itself rather than my burner or CD's, but has anyone tried this? The game file is a standard ISO and CUE with also a SUB file which I don't know how to use with IMGburn.

I'm not saying Alpha 3 is the objectively better game or anything, but that it seemed to have caught on more with casuals than the SF3 series, albeit a lot of the reasons is due to Alpha 3 being released under better circumstances.

That's all three Alpha games, not just the third one. SFIII was a relative failure; it wasn't until many years later that people fully appreciated its greatness...

MikeMyers

Not sure, never played Astal.

Yeah it was definitely more popular.

Partly because of what it was (a more 'normal' continuation of Street Fighter with all the classic characters included) and also because it was positioned better, getting released on more widespread arcade hardware, and also getting solid, timely home ports.

Such a shame to me though. It's a much worse game than Zero 2 and Giant Attack and 3rd Strike.
So basically, CPS3 is Capcom's Saturn? Impressive 2D system released at a timeframe when the mainstream wasn't into it. Heck, Naomi was basically a successor to CPS3 too.

That's all three Alpha games, not just the third one. SFIII was a relative failure; it wasn't until many years later that people fully appreciated its greatness...

True, but Alpha 3 actually came out during the SF3 era ('97-'99), hence why we're comparing Alpha 3's performance against SF3 and not Alpha 1 and 2.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Was wondering if anyone in here can help me. I have these two Saturn games left over from back in the day of owning a Saturn console, however I have no system to test them on. I have been starting to sell off a bunch of my old gaming collection in the B/S/T thread (I need to clean house a bit and not much of a collector these days) but obviously am hesitant to include them due to their condition.

Thanks guys.

Disc rot, and it's on the security ring too. It might cause the disc to fail the system's security/region check, meaning it won't boot unless the owner has a bypass method.

Khaz

That is what I feared...looks like Saturn, TG16 and Sega CD are especially susceptible.

Any CD, really. They are especially weak to humidity. I used to live in a coastal area some time ago, and had a bunch of burned CDs I left in the car. They all failed after only a couple of years, and I could see moisture blurring the discs from the inside and colonies forming in between the sheets. Pressed CD may be more resistant, but probably not by much.

IrishNinja

is it? geez...nah ive got all the saturn RPGs, just bummed me out that was literally all the saturn stuff i saw
always hoping for imports or stuff like loaded on the cheap you know?

MikeMyers

I don't even see Saturn games in stores. Usually it's just Genesis or Game Gear with Sonic, MK, or sport games.

Well, that and emulating the Midway Zeus on PS360 would probably be more trouble than it would be worth :p
Hmm, yeah come to think about it I don't think the Zeus has ever been emulated.

Top Bottom