• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
D&D, but honestly get that on Steam/WiiU/XBLA/PSN or the standalone PS3 disc import if you have access to any of those systems. They're all way better than the Saturn version.

I'd agree with that, plus Warriors of Fate's Saturn release is a lot better, relatively speaking, than D&D... D&D had some serious sound issues.

Best version of those games is the standalone PS3 release.

Galdelico

Grab the physical Japanese copy of D&D Collection for PS3. The port was handled by the original Capcom team, not Iron Galaxy, I believe.
Not to doubt your words, but is this confirmed? I remember reading so in the news, but then - by the time the actual game got released - I lost interest and never checked it out.

Danny Dudekisser

Thanks sir, worth checking it out again then.

More specifically, the visuals were sharper (Iron Galaxy ports were always kinda blurry), and it added features like New Game+ and Color Edit mode. It was pretty cool.

Saturn version was rad at the time, because it was the only realistic way to play the games, but there's really not much reason to care today due to the porting issues.

KC-Slater

More specifically, the visuals were sharper (Iron Galaxy ports were always kinda blurry), and it added features like New Game+ and Color Edit mode. It was pretty cool.

Saturn version was rad at the time, because it was the only realistic way to play the games, but there's really not much reason to care today due to the porting issues.

I have the Saturn version as well as the Iron Galaxy Wii U and PS3 ports (got them each for free somehow) and I still come back to the Saturn version, however I wish I had the Japanese Capcom PS3-port, as it seems to check all of the right boxes.

Specifically, the gaudy borders on the Iron Galaxy ports drive me nuts, and provoke fears of image retention on my plasma. (Not sure if you can turn them off or not, I haven't invested enough time to check it out.)

televator

I can't start working soon enough. I gotta start buying JP Saturn games like it's going in style... Coz it is. So I gotta make like a hipster and be there before the masses. lol

A shame though. Best grab all the Saturn games you want now or otherwise while you still got the chance.
This seems to have been everyone's thought process for the last couple of years. Which is why inventory is low and prices are high. They all need to dump their collections and move on to gen six consoles.

This seems to have been everyone's thought process for the last couple of years. Which is why inventory is low and prices are high. They all need to dump their collections and move on to gen six consoles.

I remember this coming up on some podcast or another. The mentality is "well, this is more than I'd like to spend, but it'll never be this cheap again. Better buy now" lol

Teknoman

On that note, I should have bought Blast Wind and Hyper Duel back when they were "low" too. Or even Elevator Action Returns for that matter.

People are pushing Burning Rangers and Magic Knight too high though. I still need a Shining Force 3 case / back cover art.

Skulldead

On that note, I should have bought Blast Wind and Hyper Duel back when they were "low" too. Or even Elevator Action Returns for that matter.

People are pushing Burning Rangers and Magic Knight too high though. I still need a Shining Force 3 case / back cover art.

Burning Rangers is the only expensive US game that i'm missing (Herc's adventure to, but i got the ps1 version so) i should i bought it when it was around 120$... i thought it would have lower or stay stable a little because i heard the game is not THAT good. I'm still mad at me lol I can't imagine starting collecting good exclusive Japaneses game right now.

IrishNinja

Wasn't Alien vs Predator planned for Saturn at one point? That would have been interesting to see.

my local arcade just added that one this week, finally got to beat it with a friend! man, id kill for that...still one of my all-time favorite beat-em-ups

Had to choose between a new graphics card or a copy of Hyper Duel today.

This 780ti will have to last a bit longer.

time to get out there & make some ca-razy money, punchers

MikeMyers

A lot of the Japanese games are still cheap at the moment:

Fighters Megamix
Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2
Nights into Dreams
Daytona CE
Sega Rally
Virtua Cop
House of the Dead
Virtua Fighter 2
Last Bronx
Virtual On
Dead or Alive
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Vampire Hunter
Die Hard Arcade

Mzo

The only expensive game that I want is Elevator Action Returns.

Think that one's far too gone. :/

Man, it was like $40 not even that long ago. I remember when IrishNinja got it right before it blew up. I should've jumped on some of the $50 eBay BINs =[

koopas

Would it be feasible for Sega to reprint Saturn games? And if they did/could, do you think the reprints wouls be indistinguishable from the original run? Would the current prices were seeing be impacted at all from a glut of new stock on the market?

These are the things I think about.

MikeMyers

Would it be feasible for Sega to reprint Saturn games? And if they did/could, do you think the reprints wouls be indistinguishable from the original run? Would the current prices were seeing be impacted at all from a glut of new stock on the market?

Wouldn't it be amazing if Sonic Mania actually did come out on Saturn?

Finally, the 2D Sonic the Saturn deserves.

JLynn

My regret was Keio 2 JP version and Liquid Kids. Liquid Kids alone goes for the same price as a PS4 Call of Duty edition. The only game I have an eye on now is US PowerSlave.

Sega had PLENTY of chances to rerelease PDS alone but they couldn't cause Japan was horrible in archiving the source codes. Heck I don't think they have the MKR source code that Working Designs reconstructed.

Khaz

The price of the originals wouldn't budge, they'd be still rare in the collector's eye. The reprints would make the games much more accessible to the rest of us though.

The copy protection ring would be the technical hurdle. The machines that originally pressed Saturn discs probably don't exist any more, and making new disc pressers specifically for that purpose would cost a lot.

Bar81

Why would Sega do that? The amount of money they would make from that wouldn't be worth the effort.

Mzo

The price of the originals wouldn't budge, they'd be still rare in the collector's eye. The reprints would make the games much more accessible to the rest of us though.

The copy protection ring would be the technical hurdle. The machines that originally pressed Saturn discs probably don't exist any more, and making new disc pressers specifically for that purpose would cost a lot.

Game Quest Direct reprints like Persona 2 were indistinguishable from the originals and absolutely made the price plummet across the board. It was fantastic and should happen more often.

Danny Dudekisser

I finally got to play Batsugun, after it being one of my most wanted games in the 8 years since I got into Saturn.

It's really fucking good. It's bullet hell that feels more like classic shmups than something Cave would make. Kinda cool that I'm not even a little disappointed after all that anticipation.

MikeMyers

Sega had PLENTY of chances to rerelease PDS alone but they couldn't cause Japan was horrible in archiving the source codes. Heck I don't think they have the MKR source code that Working Designs reconstructed.

Wasn't Saga actually a big flop in Japan though?

IrishNinja

Game Quest Direct reprints like Persona 2 were indistinguishable from the originals and abaolutely made the price plummet across the board. It was fantastic and should happen more often.

+1

I finally got to play Batsugun, after it being one of my most wanted games in the 8 years since I got into Saturn.

It's really fucking good. It's bullet hell that feels more like classic shmups than something Cave would make. Kinda cool that I'm not even a little disappointed after all that anticipation.

also this, Battle Garegga is a lotta fun as well for the stupid-high price...then again SHMUPs all over kinda went up, i think

televator

My first day of work is this coming Monday and I'm already building a list of JP Saturn games. I dare not mention what some of them are. Lest I risk people rushing eBay and driving up prices. lol

Dwayne

My first day of work is this coming Monday and I'm already building a list of JP Saturn games. I dare not mention what some of them are. Lest I risk people rushing eBay and driving up prices. lol

If you're building a list you might be better off buying multiple at a time off YAJ, big savings to be had :)

Dwayne

How easy is it to buy games on YAJ when you're in the US?

You use a forwarding/bidding service, like shoppingmalljapan or celga. To keep prices down, buy multiple games at a time, where possible from the same seller so you save on bank fees and shipping costs within Japan. Pile up a good handful of games and ship them all across at the same time. Can easily save you hundreds, and rare games will be a lot more common and much more reasonable prices.

Besides Saturn, you can buy literally anything off of YAJ, I finished up my laserdisc collection in one big sweep, prices were amazing.

Danny Dudekisser

You use a forwarding/bidding service, like shoppingmalljapan or celga. To keep prices down, buy multiple games at a time, where possible from the same seller so you save on bank fees and shipping costs within Japan. Pile up a good handful of games and ship them all across at the same time. Can easily save you hundreds, and rare games will be a lot more common and much more reasonable prices.

Besides Saturn, you can buy literally anything off of YAJ, I finished up my laserdisc collection in one big sweep, prices were amazing.

Hmm... yeah, I guess I could do that. I'm used to using forwarding services for stuff from Amazon Japan. But like, is it easy to get an account set up and everything? Not sure if you can switch the language to English or if I just have to tough it and pretend to know Japanese.

Top Bottom