• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Well, I reached a big landmark in my collection and feel like sharing with strangers on the Internet -- it's not like anyone else would appreciate it like other fellow Saturn enthusiasts anyway. I've been collecting games for my PAL Saturn since the late 90's and finally got the last two I needed for a complete set.

Have you got Last Dynasty on PAL though?

Well thats that then. I guess it'll be like grabbing the PS3 version of D&D.

PS3 japan version is actually the best port of D&D, graphic customisation, 4p options.

Garegga won't have a physical release so from a collector's point of view the Saturn port is still a worth

JLynn

NA Saturn launched with Virtua Fighter, Daytona, and Panzer Dragoon. It's one of the best ever imo.

And nothing else for three, four months.

The N64 launched with two games yet Nintendo and a third party was able to release at least one game each month for the remainder of 1996.

xbox one ?

No way Jose! XB1 launched with a COD, an Assassin's Creed, all the EA Sports and 2K Sports titles, and Forza on day one and they consistently released new games each week afterwards. Just that people were still pissed at MS' DRM hijinks to care and were waiting on new PS4 console shipments.

Teknoman

PS3 japan version is actually the best port of D&D, graphic customisation, 4p options.

Garegga won't have a physical release so from a collector's point of view the Saturn port is still a worth

Yup, seems that way. I guess thats the same thing with Radiant, Ikaruga, Guardian and the 360 ports.

I need to learn how to play VF2 and Fighters Megamix properly. Im used to stuff like Soul Edge/Calibur and Tekken where you can seemingly string everything together.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yup, seems that way. I guess thats the same thing with Radiant, Ikaruga, Guardian and the 360 ports.

I need to learn how to play VF2 and Fighters Megamix properly. Im used to stuff like Soul Edge/Calibur and Tekken where you can seemingly string everything together.
What character do you want to use?

KC-Slater

I started Magic Knight Rayearth last night.

I was never big in to RPGs, but the Working Designs stuff always intrigued me growing up.

So far, so good! It's real early, but I'm enjoying the voice acting and the amount of recorded dialogue. Looks great on the OSSC (with the exception of the FMV, lol.)

Galdelico

I started Magic Knight Rayearth last night.

I was never big in to RPGs, but the Working Designs stuff always intrigued me growing up.

So far, so good! It's real early, but I'm enjoying the voice acting and the amount of recorded dialogue. Looks great on the OSSC (with the exception of the FMV, lol.)
Any particular reason due to the OSSC, or is it just because they're Cinepak grainstorms?

Khaz

Nah it's not the OSSC's fault, it's just the compression of video in to a 12x12 grid of pixels. ;)

Yep, as much as you want nearest neighbour in your games to keep those pixels crisp, digitised video needs its fancy interpolation. Else it becomes an unwatchable blocky mess.

Teknoman

What character do you want to use?

I tend to jump around, especially with crossovers. But VF 2 (and 3 by extention) Jacky, Akira, and Kage.

Fighters Megamix...well I havent unlocked everyone again yet, but about the same here, but including Bahn, and Raxel so far.

Edit: I think im sorta getting the hang of Akira. The Virtua games are more of a deliberate fighting series if that makes any sense?

oneida

Edit: I think im sorta getting the hang of Akira. The Virtua games are more of a deliberate fighting series if that makes any sense?
You're onto it. There aren't blockstrings like in other games - you do your move, if it's blocked, your "turn" is over. Then you choose a defensive option. If you do your move and It hits your opponent, it's still your turn so you can attack again. People call it a turn based fighter because of this.

Personally i find Jacky very fun to play in VF2.

oneida

Why would you even want to use anyone else, after all?
:p
tumblr_nk8tburbwu1slig2vo1_400.gif

oneida

Is there a tier list for VF2 and Fighters Megamix?
oh man, no idea. Akira would probably be S tier in VF2 at least until a few years ago when the 2P/low throw option select was uncovered.

And maybe even after that he's still S tier. dude is a monster lol

spyduh

Neo Member
Fired up my PAL Saturn over the weekend and it was freezing whenever I put a disc in.. and also sometimes freeze even on the splash screen with no disc in at all.

This isn't good, right?

Eventually got it to work fine after a few resets / off / on....

MikeMyers

Since we were talking about the Saturn launch, I decided to look up the PS1 launch in comparison:

Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak: The DNA Imperative
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter: The Movie
Total Eclipse Turbo

Kinda underwhelming to be honest. Could have sworn Mortal Kombat 3 was a launch title.

Since we were talking about the Saturn launch, I decided to look up the PS1 launch in comparison:

Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak: The DNA Imperative
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Power Serve 3D Tennis
The Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter: The Movie
Total Eclipse Turbo

Kinda underwhelming to be honest. Could have sworn Mortal Kombat 3 was a launch title.

WipEout was a launch title for EU and the US I believe. It crushes any RR and Daytona imo. Eight tracks, lightning fast, varied and incredible graphics and the british club music ost crushes the almost comic Japanese RR "techno" music or the singing Daytona one (yeah I know it's a legend, but it's not a good soundtrack).

How's the Saturn port of it?

I copied Wikipedia's list of US launch title. It could be wrong though.
I just went into the Wikipedia page mind you! It stated WipEout was on launch in the US, but I'm actually doubting a bit now. It definitely was on launch in Europe though!

Cool you asked, I recently got a CRT screen and gave the WipEout a go on PS1 and Saturn. Both WipEout 1 and 2097 (XL in the US) suffer from lower framerate. Especially 2097 is very apparent that it runs closer to 20 fps. WipEout 1 is a slightly better conversion, but I'd still recommend the PS1 titles (they just feel smoother), plus you can play them with the awesome NegCon.

Some Saturn pluses though:
-WipEout 1 has new crash physics, making it more forgiving and ruthless than the PS1 version, though it's nothing like the superior and remade crash physics that 2097 and WipEout 3 has.
-WipEout 2097 has longer draw distance than the PS1 version, though one can wonder why with that low framerate.

Both have some extra or different songs for their soundtracks.

Cc23830

Having to sell my uk PAL saturn collection is a kick in the teeth this week. But serious debts mean i have to man up a bit for the family. Absolutely gutted. And on eBay of all places. Really disappointed!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Having to sell my uk PAL saturn collection is a kick in the teeth this week. But serious debts mean i have to man up a bit for the family. Absolutely gutted. And on eBay of all places. Really disappointed!

Sad to hear this, but real life is after all more important than games. Hope the money will help you out, and that you will some day be in a position to get the collection back!

Cc23830

Cheers guys. Will still be keeping an eye on this thread. We have let basic bills slip recently and as its worth so much have to let it go. Joys of working in a local college and not being paid over the summer :/ thanks everyone

koopas

This hurts to read. I agree post it here you may get some help from this thread :)

MikeMyers

Top Bottom