• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Galdelico

Good question. I don't own the game, but - as far as I remember - I've always seen it mentioned as 'glue'. If you look at the cover, it seems more like a holder for the poster (which I guess it also works as an operation guide), rather than a proper instruction manual that needs to be taken out of the case. And even brand new copies don't appear to be any different from opened-up ones.

BS sells for $90 now?

Checking ebay, I'd say no, you can get it for $65-$75 if you're patient and lucky, for a copy with the manual (and that odd cover glued to the case of course). That's more than the $40 I paid for a copy of the game in Sept. 2013, so the price has gone up, but $90 or more is Buy it Now territory. Bulk Slash is a good game worth playing, but it is getting pricey.

Also, yes, I'd call that "poster" the manual, because that's really what it is. There is a cover glued to the case, but that is just a cover and flap with advertising and such, there is no gameplay info there. The gameplay info is on the poster inside. That's not the only Japanese game I have with a poster for a manual, there are others, Sidearms Special for PC Engine CD for example.

I was always curious about that. Is it really glue, or is it some sort of defective ink that fuses to the jewel case over time?
It definitely looks like some kind of clear glue. No ink would stick paper to plastic so securely...

D.Lo

What the hell I had never heard of Bulk slash. Looks awesome!

Always something new to check out! Looks like I'm late in it price wise however.

Saturn is second only to Famicom for me in keeping finding new gems.

MikeMyers

What are you guys talking about

tumblr_mu1nibrfDy1sg3g3so1_400.gif
tumblr_mu479yZQC41sg3g3so1_r1_400.gif
Heh. Everytime I plug in Sega Rally I'm always like "I'll just play for for a quick minute" and end up playing it for an hour.

TeaJay

I'm otherwise very happy with my 20'' PVM but Sega Rally is one of those games I wish I could have a full-body experience, you know, have the whole arcade machine in my basement or something.

If I ever win the lottery I want a Sega Rally machine, Attack from Mars pinball and Turtles in Time, D&D Shadow over Mystara and Metal Slug cabinets + an additional one where I can swap the board or something.

Celine

What the hell I had never heard of Bulk slash. Looks awesome!

Always something new to check out! Looks like I'm late in it price wise however.

Saturn is second only to Famicom for me in keeping finding new gems.

Made by the same developer behind Hagane (SNES), Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire (PC Engine), The Sky Odyssey (PS2).

MurderOfPoes

Neo Member
I used this workaround for the PAL version:

Yep, that's the one.

Each team got to decide which platform they wanted to work on, after Sega went third-party. (Can't find source right now.)

Not sure it was the wisest decision to let the development teams make the business decisions, but it's not like Sega's leadership was making steller choices at the time, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like JSRF and PDO woulda been compromised on their visions if they had been made multiplat. They did right by specifically targeting the most powerful home console hardware at the time.

From what I remember reading, the original Xbox had a very similar architecture to the Dreamcast, which influenced some of those decisions.

Heh. Everytime I plug in Sega Rally I'm always like "I'll just play for for a quick minute" and end up playing it for an hour.
I've only ever played Sega RALLY 2 on Dreamcast and I've probably put more hours into it than all other racing games combined. I found Sega Rally for Saturn at local shop for five bucks and snagged it this weekend.

MikeMyers

I've only ever played Sega RALLY 2 on Dreamcast and I've probably put more hours into it than all other racing games combined. I found Sega Rally for Saturn at local shop for five bucks and snagged it this weekend.

Isn't Sega Rally 2 a rushed port, like how Virtua Fighter 3 was?

Still gonna get it eventually since it's Sega Rally 2, but damnit Sega.

Coda

It can sell for even more than that.
It's a tricky game, if you look at it as a collector. There's a first print, and also a Satakore budget re-release, which diversifies the price to begin with. On top of that, the original print - along with the usual spine card - comes with a registration card and a poster as well, so a used copy with all included can command a noticeably higher price, compared to a disc and manual only set. Speaking of which, the first print has the front cover glued to the jewel case, and it's not uncommon to find copies on ebay that look quite nasty nowadays (so one still in good/very good conditions, once again, can be sold for bigger money).

Yeah that sounds messy. I'm selling the Sakakore version. Lowest I'll go is $80 if anyone is interested, think that's a pretty fair price.

IrishNinja

just couldn't make heads or tails of Dragon Force yet (sorry cj), so onto Shining Force III i go! loving this so far, gonna be all about finding that Premium Disc whenever i finish all 3 scenarios.

Was playing Virtua Cop this morning. Man, I love those games so much. Hell, I love light gun games in general so much haha.

I'm thinking I may just buy an import of House of the Dead, because paying $200 for the U.S. release is just something I will not do ha.

I imagine it works/plays the same?

Was playing Virtua Cop this morning. Man, I love those games so much. Hell, I love light gun games in general so much haha.

I'm thinking I may just buy an import of House of the Dead, because paying $200 for the U.S. release is just something I will not do ha.

I imagine it works/plays the same?

Grab Virtua Cop 2. That can be found for under $15

Yeah I have the import version. It's pretty easy to play even if you don't know Japanese.

Awesome, thanks!

Grab Virtua Cop 2. That can be found for under $15

Oh I have it! Love that game even more than the first haha.

The only light gun game that I'm missing on the Saturn is HotD. Will just end up getting the import then. Even though I wish I could get the U.S. release haha.

Seik

Banned
Hey all, it's been a good while since I last posted here.

Any news emulation wise? I see that SSF is R4 now, I had R3 on my PC, is this new? I check the 'Modify date' of R4 and it shows 2013 so I assume I just had an old version in there.

I also noticed that Yabause is now on Patreon with a mere 35$/month so far, surprising since Cemu (Wii U emulator) is currently near 3K$/month. I guess people aren't too much into this, or are satisfied enough with SSF/Current Yabause.

Also, you guys saw the prices of Panzer Dragoon Saga on Ebay lately? I could now survive a month, being broken, only with this damn game. I hope I'll never have to resort to this though. That shit is getting crazier with each years passing.

EDIT: Also, looking back at my OP, this pic makes me crave for a RE run, fuuuuuck.

lbzuk7Q.png

I just played Daytona USA with this mindset with similar results...no matter what DF Retro says about this port, I still dig it.

IrishNinja

Nice, so you're enjoying it? I still have to finish SF CD and 2 before playing my copy.

aw man, that was me last year! ran through both, then Holy Ark (which has already been referenced a bit here and im only in chapter 2). do CD first, i think that's chronologically the right way to go!

and yeah, i just love this series. so glad the next 2 chapters were fan translated!

StevieWhite

How long is a FULL playthrough of SF III? I have been meaning to play chapters 2 and 3 for a while now, but free time is tougher to come by these days.

Hey all, it's been a good while since I last posted here.

Any news emulation wise? I see that SSF is R4 now, I had R3 on my PC, is this new? I check the 'Modify date' of R4 and it shows 2013 so I assume I just had an old version in there.

I also noticed that Yabause is now on Patreon with a mere 35$/month so far, surprising since Cemu (Wii U emulator) is currently near 3K$/month. I guess people aren't too much into this, or are satisfied enough with SSF/Current Yabause.

Also, you guys saw the prices of Panzer Dragoon Saga on Ebay lately? I could now survive a month, being broken, only with this damn game. I hope I'll never have to resort to this though. That shit is getting crazier with each years passing.

EDIT: Also, looking back at my OP, this pic makes me crave for a RE run, fuuuuuck.

I just played Daytona USA with this mindset with similar results...no matter what DF Retro says about this port, I still dig it.

I have unsuccessfully tried so many times getting that damn game(PDS). I had a chance to buy it off of not one, but two gaffers and for reasonable prices, but they both didn't work out. First time a bill came up and second time the user got banned :(

Agreed with vanilla Daytona USA on Saturn. I prefer it to the CCE.

Conezays

aw man, that was me last year! ran through both, then Holy Ark (which has already been referenced a bit here and im only in chapter 2). do CD first, i think that's chronologically the right way to go!

and yeah, i just love this series. so glad the next 2 chapters were fan translated!

Haha, awesome. Yeah, I absolutely loved Shining Force 1; totally holds up nearly 25 years later. Looking forward to playing more in the series, I just have an enormous backlog on nearly every retro system, lol. Not complaining though :p

Also looking forward to playing the recently released English Policenauts patch for the Saturn! Have you or anyone else here tried it yet? I have high expectations after playing Snatcher earlier in the year.

IrishNinja

i've not yet tried the fan translation on Policenauts, picked up the saturn one ages ago so i'm looking forward to sorting it out - grabbed the file but i think i have to figure out how to patch an ISO

one thing about Shining Force III that throws you off at first: man, were we spoiled by a 2D grid. it's really easy to think you're lined up & end up doing nothing when you meant to attack someone because you were slightly off, ugghhh

Conezays

i've not yet tried the fan translation on Policenauts, picked up the saturn one ages ago so i'm looking forward to sorting it out - grabbed the file but i think i have to figure out how to patch an ISO

one thing about Shining Force III that throws you off at first: man, were we spoiled by a 2D grid. it's really easy to think you're lined up & end up doing nothing when you meant to attack someone because you were slightly off, ugghhh

Ah, that does sound a bit irritating. Hopefully the rest of the game makes up for it and you enjoy it.

Sent you a PM by the way.

TeaJay

Even I was able to patch it successfully so anyone should too. Follow the instructions and remember to name the files correctly. Give a shout here if you have troubles.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Haha, awesome. Yeah, I absolutely loved Shining Force 1; totally holds up nearly 25 years later. Looking forward to playing more in the series, I just have an enormous backlog on nearly every retro system, lol. Not complaining though :p

Also looking forward to playing the recently released English Policenauts patch for the Saturn! Have you or anyone else here tried it yet? I have high expectations after playing Snatcher earlier in the year.

Who doesnt lol. Im very happy with my backlog though, since i dont care much about modern releases, but i will always have these retro-games :)

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
Anyone here has a lead to a manual for Batman the Arcade game or Duke Nukem 3d? Really trying to avoid selling/trading these games but my ocd is getting the best of me.

koopas

Anyone here has a lead to a manual for Batman the Arcade game or Duke Nukem 3d? Really trying to avoid selling/trading these games but my ocd is getting the best of me.
I've stopped buying disc only games. Hell I won't even buy games missing spine cards any more.

I feel your pain though you're best option is selling what you have and using the funds to buy a complete copy.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I've finally got hold of a copy of Elevator Action Returns. What a game. Oozes style and fun.

Saturn is a machine that totally bypassed me in its day (the PAL offering was poor), but it's a complete joy to discover now.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
The 22nd Anniversary is tomorrow. To celebrate, I've got a couple presents ready for everyone. I hope you enjoy them as they come out over the next several days. :)

Top Bottom