• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

smbu2000

Metal Slug as well as MSH are games that were mentioned to suffer when using anything other than a 1MB cart. Are there any other games that suffer from those problems as well?

I finished it a few weeks a ago. I think the production values are low even for its time, compared with RE2 it look like an older game.

The production values were amazing considering it was being released on a dead console. Comparing it to RE2 isn't even fair.
It was loaded with some of the best CG cutscenes on the saturn, was pretty long (2 discs) and looked easily as good as the saturn version of RE1.
The game had a fantastic atmosphere and the story was very tense. It was a blessing in such a desert of new releases.

Valkyria

Banned
It's length it's a bit unfair. In the end you have to backtrack quite a lot and it takes for ever to go to one place to another.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I found my several day journey back into VF2 and VF4 DISASTROUS for my VF5FS training... Didn't see that coming at all. Guess it's back to shmups and racers for my Saturn playtime -- at least until SEGA Cup has come and gone.

Loaded up the 2 Digital Pinball games last night, love how they look displayed through SCART to component, the high resolution to begin with is impressive. I wish KaZe would do more of those games :(

Hightower, definitely pick up In The Hunt. I love that game. Has a Metal Slug feel to it, with all the detailed destruction. The subs do move slowly, but I like it despite that fact.

Do get In the Hunt, but get it for Playstation. The Saturn version is just awful in comparison... the PS1 version saves your scores and settings (the Saturn version does not support any saving), has a lot less slowdown (versus huge amounts on Saturn), and has either CD audio or arcade PCM music track options (versus only arcade PCM on the Saturn). There's really no good reason to get it for Saturn unless it's really cheap.

Teknoman

For Sega arcade classics, it seems like its better to just go after the english version of Sega Ages instead of the JP releases.

Teknoman

Not really. The US Sega Ages version is missing a bunch of remastered music. It's one of Working Designs more frustrating releases.

Really? Any reason why they left the tracks out?

Either way, i'd only want Space Harrier and Afterburner II, and both import versions seem to equal out to be the going cost of NA Sega Ages disc only. Thought i'd come across a deal lol.

I enjoy cycling between the arranged and original tracks on OutRun, so I'm glad I imported. Bonus the game's audio is stored as redbook so it as an easy conversion to my iPod for listening on the go.

DasDamen

Really? Any reason why they left the tracks out?

Either way, i'd only want Space Harrier and Afterburner II, and both import versions seem to equal out to be the going cost of NA Sega Ages disc only. Thought i'd come across a deal lol.

Although I'm in the process of buying all the Sega Ages JP games (I have a thing for sub-collections), I still want a copy of the NA Sega Ages to complete my other sub-collection of Working Designs games.

First world problems.

Karuto

I bought a Sega Saturn recently, and finally got an AV cable (which it didn't come with). This morning, I tried turning it on. It asked me to set the language as well as the date and time. However, as soon as I confirmed that, it just goes to a black screen. I put a CD in and the laser and motor worked fine, but I don't see anything. The Composite cables obviously work, so does anyone know what could be the issue? I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

By the way, this is a Model 2 US Sega Saturn.

cj_iwakura

I bought a Sega Saturn recently, and finally got an AV cable (which it didn't come with). This morning, I tried turning it on. It asked me to set the language as well as the date and time. However, as soon as I confirmed that, it just goes to a black screen. I put a CD in and the laser and motor worked fine, but I don't see anything. The Composite cables obviously work, so does anyone know what could be the issue? I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. Is there a battery in it?

Karuto

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. Is there a battery in it?

Yes. I tried three different batteries to see if it mattered. One consistently had the system show that Language/Calendar screen when I would unplug it and plug it back in, so that seems fine.

Is there a guide on identifying factory sealed JPN Saturn games from re-sealed ones? Should they contain the peel strip near the bottom like Dreamcast games?

Fired up Guardian Heroes today for the first time in awhile. Goddamn it's my favorite game. Nothing better than canceling RMG's combos into a tornado spell.

Hightower

Banned
Added more yesterday...

Mobile Suit Gundam (side scrolling shooter)
Robot Wars
Gun Griffon
Worldwide Soccer 98.

They were less than $12 as a bundle.. so why not?

Valkyria

Banned
Wow! Where did you buy it?

I won in ebay a copy of Azel Panzer Dragon Saga and Super Robot Wars F Final for 30$. Azel with spine card, the prices of the games to me seems to be going up and up.

Hightower

Banned
Wow! Where did you buy it?

I won in ebay a copy of Azel Panzer Dragon Saga and Super Robot Wars F Final for 30$. Azel with spine card, the prices of the games to me seems to be going up and up.

There was someone on ebay that had Robot Wars for $3.99... so I figured I'd snap it up.

Even if it's not English Friendly, I may be able to flip it.

Valkyria

Banned
There was someone on ebay that had Robot Wars for $3.99... so I figured I'd snap it up.

Even if it's not English Friendly, I may be able to flip it.

Yamakuto has the game on auction starting for 0.01$ and Hit Japan has it for the price you said.

I might be forced to dismantle my Saturn collection in the coming months, as much as it pains me to do so, and was wondering if anyone has any info as to how much some of the rarer items might be worth nowadays? Here's the rarest ones, I guess;

Astra Superstars (complete, with spine)
Hyper Duel (complete, with spine)
Dragon Force (PAL, case in good condition)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (PAL, case in average condition)
Psychic Killer Taromaru/Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (complete, with spine & sticker)
Shining Force III (PAL, case in excellent condition)
Stellar Assault SS (complete, with spine)

Also, while I'm here I might as take the opportunity to ramble about Terra Phantastica, a little-known Saturn SRPG released only in Japan - if you see this game cheap on the net or in the wild (and you probably will, sooner or later, it's not a rare game), grab it. Doubly so if you love SRPG's. If Dragon Force weren't so damn amazing, Terra Phantastica would easily be my favourite SRPG on the system. It's beautiful Medieval European art-style really compliments the always-challenging gameplay and while the story is entirely linear, it's an intriguing ride nonetheless. It's a shame this never got translated to English, but thankfully there's a handful of guides on the net that help ensure this hidden gem isn't further forgotten.

Oh, one more; Tryrush Deppy, beautiful 2d platformer where you play a taxi cab! Not especially easy to find, but not very expensive either. Great fun though and a game more Saturn fans should know about.

Tryrush Deppy averaged around $100 when I last looked - that's expensive in my books. :I

Looking again now, all of the auctions/BINs are well above $100. The hell is going on with this game?

Valkyria

Banned
I might be forced to dismantle my Saturn collection in the coming months, as much as it pains me to do so, and was wondering if anyone has any info as to how much some of the rarer items might be worth nowadays? Here's the rarest ones, I guess;

Astra Superstars (complete, with spine)
Hyper Duel (complete, with spine)
Dragon Force (PAL, case in good condition)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (PAL, case in average condition)
Psychic Killer Taromaru/Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (complete, with spine & sticker)
Shining Force III (PAL, case in excellent condition)
Stellar Assault SS (complete, with spine)

Also, while I'm here I might as take the opportunity to ramble about Terra Phantastica, a little-known Saturn SRPG released only in Japan - if you see this game cheap on the net or in the wild (and you probably will, sooner or later, it's not a rare game), grab it. Doubly so if you love SRPG's. If Dragon Force weren't so damn amazing, Terra Phantastica would easily be my favourite SRPG on the system. It's beautiful Medieval European art-style really compliments the always-challenging gameplay and while the story is entirely linear, it's an intriguing ride nonetheless. It's a shame this never got translated to English, but thankfully there's a handful of guides on the net that help ensure this hidden gem isn't further forgotten.

Oh, one more; Tryrush Deppy, beautiful 2d platformer where you play a taxi cab! Not especially easy to find, but not very expensive either. Great fun though and a game more Saturn fans should know about.

You can get 150€ for Panzer Dragoon without a problem, if you ca wait maybe 200€, and if you are in a hurry for 100€ will fly off your hand.

Valkyria

Banned
Can you recommend me some fast paced games alas Megaman? The don't need to be side scrollers. Games like Sparkster but on Saturn.

Can you recommend me some fast paced games alas Megaman? The don't need to be side scrollers. Games like Sparkster but on Saturn.

You might like Richter mode in Symphony of the Night. That whole game is a lot better on PS1 though, can't recommend it in good conscience on Saturn.
Shinobi X/Shin Shinobi Den/Shinobi Legions is a decent action game. Doesn't hold a candle to the 16-bit Shinobi games, but definitely worth your time if you can get it cheap.
And uh, take a look at Silhouette Mirage. Not my cup of tea but it's a well-liked game kinda fits that Megaman mold.

Valkyria

Banned
Yeah I own Silhouette Mirage, probably the most expensive game I own for Saturn. You got my bases covered, I should look for more obscure games.

ascii42

Got my Saturn hooked up again. Battery died so I lost all of my saves, sadly. Mostly it's no big deal. The only thing major that I lost was my Fighters Megamix save, and I had unlocked all characters including the hornet. Oh well, I did it before, I can do it again.

Definitely check out Treasure's Silhouette Mirage if you haven't already. It's an excellent platformer/action game.

Yeah. That's a cool one. I got the PSX version for a couple bucks when Gamestop was clearing their PSX inventory.

alf717

What is the average price on a Saturn with controller and plugs go for these day? Thinking of picking up a spare unit or two to mod.

Top Bottom