• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Credo

Does the Dragon Force II translation work on a modded Saturn? Or is it emu-only?

I've been trying to get the translated Dragon Force II working this morning, and apparently I'm too stupid to emulate through SSF even after reading the "VG Emulation for Newbies" page and the DFII translation readme. My SSF window freezes every time I try to run it.

I saw a gameplay of it but I don't understand exactly how it goes. It looked really confusing to me.

The basic premise is pretty simple; locate a red door to unlock the rest of the map, then find the exit and leave. Outside of that there are some cool scoring mechanics taking out enemies with environmental hazards. It's a pretty basic game but it's really satisfying to play.

Velkyn

A bit of an update about my search for a good Saturn. Apparently, at PAX, there were several dealers with Saturns. One was even being sold for about $50 brand new! Sadly, by the time I found this out of course, they were all sold. I wandered around for a while looking for another on Saturday. The only one I could find was a Japanese white model, pre-modded with an NTSJ/NTSC switcher...For $170. I considered it for a few minutes, then was convinced by my wife that it was probably a shitty idea to pick something up that I could probably get for $70 if I played my cards right.

So regrettably, I'm still Saturn-less. :(

Valkyria

Banned
A bit of an update about my search for a good Saturn. Apparently, at PAX, there were several dealers with Saturns. One was even being sold for about $50 brand new! Sadly, by the time I found this out of course, they were all sold. I wandered around for a while looking for another on Saturday. The only one I could find was a Japanese white model, pre-modded with an NTSJ/NTSC switcher...For $170. I considered it for a few minutes, then was convinced by my wife that it was probably a shitty idea to pick something up that I could probably get for $70 if I played my cards right.

I would try with a forum of your country that have a marketplace for their users, normally enthusiast treat their stuff better. If not try ebay, normally the dedicated stores and the stores in those events are more expensive.

I would love to have a black US machine for that price (to match my white Japanese one). But living on a country that everything is 5x more expensive I must have other priorities in my gaming live.

cj_iwakura

Princess Crown Fan Translation? The Saturn version!?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15979.20.html

Is this real life?

yab-pcrown-022713-2.png

Is the Princess Crown one complete?

I'm waiting on so many Saturn translations to complete...

Princess Crown
Policenauts
Dragon Force II
Shining Force 1 - 3

cj_iwakura

Is the Princess Crown one complete?

I'm waiting on so many Saturn translations to complete...

Princess Crown
Policenauts
Dragon Force II
Shining Force 1 - 3

Script is done, everything else isn't.

I have no idea what's up with DFII. I have a beta with the gameplay translated, but last I heard, they were struggling with the huge script.

Is Policenauts Saturn different from PS1? I started that version not too long ago.

IrishNinja

...there was a Dragon Force 2? damn

I would've said retro console accessories from ebay...but she seems to be away again.

yeah, sucks cause i got my Saturn back (region free!), but the 3rd party s-vid cable i have is way too snowy (granted, over a switch but still) and far too sensitive, comes out at rather inopportune moments, i really gotta find another solution

I still want to know if the Policenauts translation is based on the recent PS1 one that slowbeef worked on, or redone from scratch.

It'd probably be in their best interest to be the former, I dunno.

Valkyria

Banned

IrishNinja

LOL, Irish, calm down. You don't have to buy everything this year. :)

*looks at credit card bill* yeah, you're right... =/

still, cool that one existed, even if we didn't get it.
and Shining Force 3: we got scenario 1, wasn't there a fan translation for at least one of the others, or did i imagine that?

and Shining Force 3: we got scenario 1, wasn't there a fan translation for at least one of the others, or did i imagine that?

We got a butchered/modified/truncated scenario one. There's an ongoing project for the JP originals, yeah.

ascii42

My Saturn collection:
Games you can't see:
Battle Stations
Blazing Heroes
Command & Conquer
Contra Legacy of War
Courier Crisis
Darius Gaiden
Daytona USA
Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition
Die Hard Arcade
Fighting Vipers
Ghen War
Lunacy
Road Rash
Sega Rally Championship
Shinobi Legions
Skeleton Warriors
Three Dirty Dwarves
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Virtua Cop
Virtua Figher

Teknoman

lol yeah save something for your rewards points.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Sounds like my local comic shop got in 2 boxed Mission Sticks! Those magnificent bastards are asking $30 each, so I've gotta go down and take a look at the condition. If they're still sealed, it's a no-brainer. If not... I just may pick one up anyway for Space Harrier, After Burner and Night Striker.

oneida

Ehhh I have a hard enough time dropping $30 on a controller for like 5 games, no way I'd drop $60 to get 2 for one game.

Offer to buy both and see if they will drop the price. Those things sit around for years. Game Over here in Austin had one at their Round Rock store for 3 years before I bought it. There's another one sitting in a mom n' pop shop near my apartment that has been there for about the same amount of time.

Flink

Offer to buy both and see if they will drop the price. Those things sit around for years. Game Over here in Austin had one at their Round Rock store for 3 years before I bought it. There's another one sitting in a mom n' pop shop near my apartment that has been there for about the same amount of time.

What shop?

oneida

so pretty
I'm quite surprised- might just be that I lucked out condition-wise but this is a much more well built controller than the Saturn wheel. The stick feels real springy and not loose at all. The buttons on the side are ok; as far as i can tell they are the exact same buttons used in the shitty American virtua stick. The trigger and the mouse buttons on the stick are clicky and feel amazing.

Can't wait to buy Space Harrier.

woodypop

I'm quite surprised- might just be that I lucked out condition-wise but this is a much more well built controller than the Saturn wheel. The stick feels real springy and not loose at all. The buttons on the side are ok; as far as i can tell they are the exact same buttons used in the shitty American virtua stick. The trigger and the mouse buttons on the stick are clicky and feel amazing.

Can't wait to buy Space Harrier.
Space Harrier is exactly why I'm looking for a Mission Stick. (And to a lesser degree, After Burner.)

oneida

Doesn't Panzer Zwei support 2 mission sticks simultaneously for dual analog control?

I'm getting more than I thought I would back on my tax return and, um...

... I'm gonna do this...

I'll make a video when it happens because it seems so undocumented.

Wow, that place is still open? It was basically just a spinoff from Gamefellas when the owners seperated.. She ran her end into the ground with the SA stores and started this one.

Yeah, Gamerz is still open and thriving from the looks. They're prices are pretty outrageous on Nintendo items. You can find some OK deals on Sony/Sega/Microsoft shelves though. I had no idea the owner was formerly a co-owner of Gamefellas.

Valkyria

Banned
How rare is the Japanese version compared to the US?

Way way more common. A few years back it was like 15$ now I paid 22$ with spine card included.

If anyone buys it, it does not load directly with the action replay, you have to use this code:

Master:

F6000914 C305
B6002800 0000

Code:

06002ED0 0009

Found it yesterday here.

oneida

Just sniped an eBay auction and got 2 US copies of Panzer Dragoon Zwei for $41 shipped. One is CIB and mint and the other is in "acceptable condition but works".

Sadly, this is the second time I bought PDZ from eBay. First time the disc was too scratched to play; so I'm very weary of the second disc. But if the second disc plays fine, I might keep it and sell the mint disc.

Seller's pic:
GBBFpa5.png

I've gotten a few scratched games over the years... BUG! refuses to load the last couple of stages, most notably, but Clockwork Knight 2's ending video skips and Mega Man X4 has some audio skips, too. I've recently wondered what I could do to effectively solve that; IIRC some enthusiast stores do resurfacing (or at least that thing where they grind away at the disc to remove the more superficial scratches).

Top Bottom