• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

What is the average price on a Saturn with controller and plugs go for these day? Thinking of picking up a spare unit or two to mod.

$40 all day long with 2 controllers. The system is downright cheap. It's the games, man.

The games.

:(

Burning Rangers @ eBay prices can go f itself.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Burning Rangers @ eBay prices can go f itself.

Ehh last I checked CIB BR's were going for as low as $80. For a collector's item it could be much worse - although since BR is a VERY short game, you don't get a lot of bang or your buck. Still, compared to many of the other Saturn premium titles, BR is a Civic, not an Accord.

Ehh last I checked CIB BR's were going for as low as $80. For a collector's item it could be much worse - although since BR is a VERY short game, you don't get a lot of bang or your buck. Still, compared to many of the other Saturn premium titles, BR is a Civic, not an Accord.

We're well over the $100 mark now. From what I've tried to buy, it's been about $160-175.

Flock

Just got my copy of Silhouette Mirage in the mail today! Man it's virtually mint, i'm so happy with it! I'll post some impressions once I play a little more but for now i just wanted to show you guys how my setup is rockin... got the 14" sony pvm on my desk running the saturn through RGB. Pure gaming bliss right here....

ydNcwnv.jpg

jDLABQu.jpg

lil scanline shawty ~

Hightower

Banned
I really need to get a small CRT. I should be able to comb Craigslist for one, or even like a facebook buy/sell/trade

The old systems just look plain awful on HDTVs. Everything just looks muddied up.

Besides.. scanlines help complete the nostalgia effect!

Flock

I really need to get a small CRT. I should be able to comb Craigslist for one, or even like a facebook buy/sell/trade

The old systems just look plain awful on HDTVs. Everything just looks muddied up.

Besides.. scanlines help complete the nostalgia effect!

I think its really worth picking up a PVM or any broadcast moniotor - keep an eye out on ebay / craigslist etc... I found my one locally for $50 which isn't an amazing deal but was certainly by no means a bad one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
goodness that is delicious. it's so hard to find a pvm or anything for sale in my neck of the woods :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got an XRGB mini so I didn't have to get a PVM.. But now I want one anyway!

Teknoman

Gotta thank you guys again for Scart RGB convincing. Astal and Panzer Dragoon II look great! Found out how rusty I am with Thunder Force V...

For early 3D, Resident Evil looks pretty good, although now you can see the mesh looking effect in gunshot smoke. Nothing too distracting for the overall clarity benefits though.

Just got my copy of Silhouette Mirage in the mail today! Man it's virtually mint, i'm so happy with it! I'll post some impressions once I play a little more but for now i just wanted to show you guys how my setup is rockin... got the 14" sony pvm on my desk running the saturn through RGB. Pure gaming bliss right here....

ydNcwnv.jpg

jDLABQu.jpg

lil scanline shawty ~

That setup is so cute.

I think its really worth picking up a PVM or any broadcast moniotor - keep an eye out on ebay / craigslist etc... I found my one locally for $50 which isn't an amazing deal but was certainly by no means a bad one.
I'd love to get a PVM but all the local craiglsist listings are like $200+. I would actually jump at the chance of a $50 one, lol.

I currently play on a 27" Sony Trinitron SD CRT. My SFC, Mega Drive, and Saturn feed RGB to a YUV Component transcoder for the best possible image on that particular TV, and I think it looks great, but I'd love to take it the next level with a professional monitor. Or simply just have a 2nd monitor for Tate games.

Hightower

Banned

Oh, I dont doubt that one bit.

I just wish things just didn't look like such shit on an HDTV... but I understand why it does.

I have a hard time even playing Gamecube games because they look so bad

D.Lo

Oh, I dont doubt that one bit.

I just wish things just didn't look like such shit on an HDTV... but I understand why it does.

I have a hard time even playing Gamecube games because they look so bad
XRGB mini. It really is as good as the hype for all 240p sources. Really it creates the best picture possible for anything except a tiny broadcast monitor, because larger CRTs have bad geometry no matter what you do, and modern TVs are available in much larger sizes.

lordmrw

Good review, but it's worth noting you can also get the PS2 remake off the J-PSN(not as hard as it sounds). You get voice acting, but lose the phenomenal localization. Still, it's Dragon Force. I bought it immediately the moment I knew it was out.

cool, when I get home I'm gonna add that.

So I started out really liking Dragon Force, but now it's kind of driving me nuts.

I'm getting into these wars of attrition on my borders where enemy garrisons send out army after army at my neighboring castle. I can just fight them off, but they're right back before I have any time to build recruits. At that point I barely survive the counter-attack, much less have time to amass an army that can withstand the bloodletting of assaulting their castle.

On another note, I guess I need
Weir to fight Zanon, as he keeps on coming back over and over with a full 127 HP.

cj_iwakura

So I started out really liking Dragon Force, but now it's kind of driving me nuts.

I'm getting into these wars of attrition on my borders where enemy garrisons send out army after army at my neighboring castle. I can just fight them off, but they're right back before I have any time to build recruits. At that point I barely survive the counter-attack, much less have time to amass an army that can withstand the bloodletting of assaulting their castle.

On another note, I guess I need
Weir to fight Zanon, as he keeps on coming back over and over with a full 127 HP.

Stay away from him. When it's time, you'll know.

Also, don't be afraid to run when a castle is that hotly contested. Let them take it, then pick them away as they depart it. It traps one of their generals there, guaranteed.

Stay away from him. When it's time, you'll know.

Also, don't be afraid to run when a castle is that hotly contested. Let them take it, then pick them away as they depart it. It traps one of their generals there, guaranteed.

I got the cutscene that told me he has a magic sword. Doesn't that mean I need to take my leader (Weir) to fight him?

Interesting tactic; they won't hold the castle with their full force of generals?

Yeah the battlefield gets really intense quickly.

One turn is taking over an hour, and I'm not a slow player. LOL.

Weiss

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but are there any good Saturn emulators? I want to try some of these games but I don't have the money to buy a Saturn, and even less money to get my hands on Panzer Dragoon Saga.

jamsy

How well does Panzer Dragoon Saga run on the latest emulator?

I actually have the game in excellent condition at my parents' house (which is sadly 6000 miles away currently), but I never had a Saturn, so I never got to actually play it...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
After a successful defense, don't let the attacking party escape. Immediately send your party out to fight and hopefully capture the weakened and retreating party. Though your HP/troop count might also be weakened, I believe your MP count is fully replenished immediately after a successful defense, and you'll even still enjoy the territorial defense boost in such encounters. (Battles that take place at the door of your castle have the same defense modifiers as those that take place inside it.) If you just let an attacking party escape you'll inevitably have to deal with them again at full strength in the near future, so just snuff them out ASAP.

Zanon is a special case. Don't bother with him more than once per week, and don't return to fight him again until you get a new cutscene related to him. Otherwise you might as well leave him to his own devices, as he'll refuse to budge from his little spot on the map. His sub-plot is resolved in different ways depending on what kingdom you're playing as.

Interesting tactic; they won't hold the castle with their full force of generals?
Typically, an AI monarch will deploy a full party of 5 to take a new castle if he has 5 officers available, but after taking the castle, 4 of them will often return to the monarch to be deployed elsewhere. It's usually pretty easy to swoop in and take the territory in question in the meantime.

Daedalux

Neo Member
I was wondering, how much does a Magic Card v2 goes for these days? Got one in mint condition and was going to sell it.

I finally got my clone USB Saturn pad and took the innards out of it and stuffed it inside an original Saturn pad which had a busted pcb and... Holy shit guys! When everyone said that the Saturn pad was the best controller ever, you guys weren't kidding!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but are there any good Saturn emulators? I want to try some of these games but I don't have the money to buy a Saturn, and even less money to get my hands on Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Careful there. If you are using emulators, you should still own the game. You aren't allowed to pirate Panzer Dragoon Saga just because its expensive.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I can't afford a Lamborghini so i don't drive one.

tuffy

If I remember correctly, you can pause immediately after winning a battle while the enemy is retreating. Then if you dispatch your castle's forces in the same direction, you can engage them in battle before they scurry out of range. This should net you a lot more general captures and prevent them from returning with more troops. It's a little cheap, but is often a huge time saver.

Finding the castle that spits out dragon crests can also make the game a lot shorter.

Dereck

ydNcwnv.jpg

jDLABQu.jpg

lil scanline shawty ~
Wow, that is so cool.

woodypop

It's a 15 year old game released on a dead console :/

I never figured it was that big a deal.

Still intectual properties rights apply. Or you are debatting that an old Lamborghini model that is not produced anymore should also be free?
Though I do not condone piracy, and am a staunch advocate of playing games on their original hardware, I wouldn't lose any sleep knowing someone played PDS by questionable means.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Does the Dragon Force II translation work on a modded Saturn? Or is it emu-only?
Back when I was on the project (which was ages ago), we ran tests on real hardware and intended for it to run fine on either. Dunno how it's progressed since then though, and I know there were a few bugs that cropped up during the process that only manifested on one or the other.

The difference is that you are not paying to Sega (Lambo) but to a scalper.

Well, in any case of used goods, even an old and more valuable Lambo, you do not pay to the original manufacturer anyway.

Though I do not condone piracy, and am a staunch advocate of playing games on their original hardware, I wouldn't lose any sleep knowing someone played PDS by questionable means.

I do not care what another user does unless he start to talk/question/brag about that. But you have to draw a line here. Not because PDS is rare/expensive it gets a free pass. Your stance on the matter (piracy/emulation or whatever) should be the same on all situations.

woodypop

I do not care what another user does unless he start to talk/question/brag about that. But you have to draw a line here. Not because PDS is rare/expensive it gets a free pass. Your stance on the matter (piracy/emulation or whatever) should be the same on all situations.
There is a wide spectrum of situations I consider, ranging from a game available right now at retail from the publisher, to a situation like this about a game that hasn't been sold for almost 15 years on a dead system.

Depending on circumstances, I'm not so adamant in my stance. I'm not about to go all "Police Inspector Javert" in the case of someone wanting to play PDS without having the original. If it gets re-released somehow--yeah, my position would change. But in its current state--like I said, I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it.

Valkyria

Banned
Well, in any case of used goods, even an old and more valuable Lambo, you do not pay to the original manufacturer anyway.

Mi stance for old games is the same, and you might not like it XDDD. Funny though it's that a minored in patent protection and intellectual properties (legislation is different in Europe than in America) and always believed that the protection time for intellectual properties should be the same as in patents, taking in account the bigger investment that is done with R&D in opposition to developing IPs.

Noahd42

Banned
Mi stance for old games is the same, and you might not like it XDDD. Funny though it's that a minored in patent protection and intellectual properties (legislation is different in Europe than in America) and always believed that the protection time for intellectual properties should be the same as in patents, taking in account the bigger investment that is done with R&D in opposition to developing IPs.

Just because you believe something doesn't mean you're right.

Dave Long

Banned
It's also not the topic of this thread, so let's just drop it, ok?

I really need to pick up a new Saturn game next. It might have to be Elevator Action Returns...

Top Bottom