• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Not necessarily. Last weekend I ran into a couple Neo Geo CD and PC engine CD games in a Half Price books next to some older PC games.

Anything is possible.

My local used game store had an x-men vs SF (didn't have money at the time). They have a good amount of stuff.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It was a great price on it and would've definitely been gone.

And if it was disc only you would've made the seller cancel the order and relist it. Any potential buyers who would've bought a disc-only copy at that price would be inconvenienced, the seller was inconvenienced - just please don't do this again.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
And if it was disc only you would've made the seller cancel the order and relist it. Any potential buyers who would've bought a disc-only copy at that price would be inconvenienced, the seller was inconvenienced - just please don't do this again.

Noted. I paid him and just said I still want photos. Fair?

DasDamen

Was actually thinking about something like this if I was going to go balls deep into all this stuff.

f6Hfglk.jpg

It is quite expensive, but it's well worth it. In my opinion, I would buy the SCART Commander Twin Pack. Shipping is the same price, and you get the benefit of 7 SCART connections in master/slave or 8 connections with the two in a stand alone configuration.

Keep in mind that the twin pack does not come with any SCART-to-SCART cables, so you're going to want to buy two. I bought a 1.5 meter cable for master/save connection (that way the two units could be separated quite a bit) and I also bought a short 0.75 meter cable to go from the output of the master unit to the SCART-to-YUV converter.

Also, you will need two power supplies if you live in NA. I bought two of these power supplies from Keene, but I'm sure you can find universal adapters for a much better price.

All in all, this setup will cost you close to $300, but I consider it a one-time purchase.

All in all, this setup will cost you close to $300, but I consider it a one-time purchase.

Retrogaming sure is expensive as hell.

I will keep notes, in the future I will try to buy this setup. For now, manual switching Scart cables (and hope for no damages in the long run).

IrishNinja

Retrogaming sure is expensive as hell.

I will keep notes, in the future I will try to buy this setup. For now, manual switching Scart cables (and hope for no damages in the long run).

do the pins tend to bend or something, or what's the concern here? this is pretty much what i'm doing too

Yes Boss!

do the pins tend to bend or something, or what's the concern here? this is pretty much what i'm doing too

I would not worry about the actual pins on the SCART cables. Those have been around for decades and are durable as hell. Easy to open and fix if needed.

I would be worrying on the small RGB port on the Mini. A bit flimsy. I try to limit taking that in and out.

IrishNinja

ah, gotcha...yeah i'm not touching anything on the unit itself, just swapping SCARTS...phew! hate to have all this investment go to crap on me, and i totally can't justify a switch like that one yet.

link for that Commander twin thing says no signal degradation though, which is impressive for such a device.

Dizzy-4U

So yeah, I finally did it and bought a Saturn. I was thinking in getting into retro gaming for a long time but because of the high levels of piracy in my country, I wasn't sure how viable was to get original games, specially for Saturn, a console no one ever bought around here.

But anyways, got a Japanese Saturn in excellent condition and like 40 games in total between several auctions. I'll posts some screens when they arrive.

By the way, willing to trade my left kidney for Elevator Action Returns. One of my favorite games on the system back in the day.

So yeah, I finally did it and bought a Saturn. I was thinking in getting into retro gaming for a long time but because of the high levels of piracy in my country, I wasn't sure how viable was to get original games, specially for Saturn, a console no one ever bought around here.

But anyways, got a Japanese Saturn in excellent condition and like 40 games in total between several auctions. I'll posts some screens when they arrive.

By the way, willing to trade my left kidney for Elevator Action Returns. One of my favorite games on the system back in the day.

If you have a PS2 then Elevator Action Returns is on the Taito Legends 2 compilation, which should be available much cheaper than the Saturn release of EAR. No 240p in that port sadly, and you wont get the extra music and ability to bind grenades to a separate button, but it's a viable option.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think I'm really getting into the groove of Dragon Force now. At least, I now have around 40 generals under my command, have teamed up with Teiris and expanded my kingdom's reach considerably. Hikkis is now quite chipper, although Rock's still whiny, and Hilga's getting kinda antsy too (both complaining about not seeing action, despite seeing plenty of action and getting awards accordingly - wut). Also lost a good general to a mortal wound (despite him successfully retreating from a battle - okay?). :(

Also met some Bastion bloke who changes sides at the drop of a hat - I'm hesitant to promote him any further lest I make him stronger for when I have to fight him for the umpteenth time. It's weird, too; I was defending Maryware from some oncoming Bozack warriors. One party just had one general in it, so I sent Bastion after them. He intercepts, and immediately switches sides to Bozack, and doubles back for Maryware. The traitor reaches it - and switches again to Highland, running off to some unoccupied castle. Make your mind up argh

Also met that vampire guy, but he kicked Wein's butt. Neither soldiers nor cavalry are particularly good against zombies, according to the chart in the manual, so I guess I'm gonna just have to play a numbers game with him - especially considering his special ability is to raise even more zombies.

A little curious as to why the BIN/CUE I made of the game doesn't work with SSF. Yabause can read it, but it has audio/video problems so no thanks there. Gonna have to rerip it... At least it's running fine on my white Saturn and stuff.
- Hilga, Rock, and Hikkis are borderline worthless anyway. Usually, officers with unique portrait graphics are a bit better than average, but thieves are rarely if ever good. You might as well stuff them into some remote castle once you get out of Highland.

- As noted, Bastion will abandon you for the enemy if the enemy's party contains a female officer. Also stuff him in a remote castle to be safe. He has an INT score of 70, which means he can be used for Search/Fortify; make this his only task.

- Check your CUE sheet and make sure that track 1 is set to MODE1, not MODE2.

Actually, I just re-ripped it, and the second rip seems to work fine. No idea what went wrong there, really.

Shame SSF kinda mangles some of the music up, though. "CASTLE" has some off-tune bells when the harp/Rhodes piano (not sure which) kicks in.

Sixfortyfive

No, SSF doesn't seem to handle the Saturn "MIDI" (or whatever the proper term for sequenced music is) very well. It's really obvious in DF if you compare it to real hardware.

I'm aware. Clockwork Knight 2 is another good example (assuming you're using one of the revisions that doesn't have the game freeze upon going to "Part 2" in the main menu); the lead saxophone is horribly off-key, too.

I have like 70 generals but have another 70 captives, I feel like. I'm just sitting on them right now because so many generals makes Domestic a chore. Should I promote them all or not? Only have one more enemy left to beat before what I assume is the endgame.

Sixfortyfive

I have like 70 generals but have another 70 captives, I feel like. I'm just sitting on them right now because so many generals makes Domestic a chore. Should I promote them all or not? Only have one more enemy left to beat before what I assume is the endgame.
If you have all 8 members of the Dragon Force assembled (or close to it), you don't really need to recruit anyone else, as you should be focusing on leveling and boosting the troop count for those 8.

Dizzy-4U

If you have a PS2 then Elevator Action Returns is on the Taito Legends 2 compilation, which should be available much cheaper than the Saturn release of EAR. No 240p in that port sadly, and you wont get the extra music and ability to bind grenades to a separate button, but it's a viable option.
^yup, played that version for hours last week, i can vouch for its awesomeness
Ha, trying to get Taito Legends 2 would be harder than EAR in my case. I can't import stuff due to customs being a pain in the ass right now so the only thing I can do is wait for it to show up in the local auction site.

Reson8or, if you don't mind my asking, where and how much for Blast Wind? It's on my want list and I'd like to know what's the ballpark (aside from eBay BINs).

reson8or

Reson8or, if you don't mind my asking, where and how much for Blast Wind? It's in my want list and I'd like to know what's the ballpark (aside from eBay BINs).

Don't mind at all, set me back $135 plus a couple bucks shipping. That is about my limit so it turned out well. The BIN prices are usually absurd. If you wait the odd deal will come in time.

Dizzy-4U

So guys, for Saturn related stuff, what good websites are out there? The ones I know are SEGASaturno (Spanish) and Segagaga. Any others?

reson8or

So guys, for Saturn related stuff, what good websites are out there? The ones I know are SEGASaturno (Spanish) and Segagaga. Any others?

A couple of fantastic resources I use are:

Racketboy's Sega Saturn section

Hardcore Gaming 101 Gaf Banned Site

Racketboy is a great resource to get an idea of whats available and what the general consensus is of any particular game.

With HCG, you have to know what game/series your interested in, but the history and knowledge about each is priceless.

Hardcore Gaming 101 is a blocked site, apparently.

I have no idea why - I use it regularly to learn about obscure titles I'd never heard of before - but it is.

I have no idea why - I use it regularly to learn about obscure titles I'd never heard of before - but it is.

google recognizes it as an attack site; it's probably been compromised

I don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.

Taken directly from HG 101:
4/23/13

So that malware warning from last weekend - sorry about that! Our site was hacked, unfortunately, but while we got it cleaned almost immediately, Google likes to keep sites blacklisted for an extra few days for good measure. But everything is up and back in order, so hooray!

reson8or

google recognizes it as an attack site; it's probably been compromised

I don't know for sure, but that would be my guess.

Taken directly from HG 101:

Sure, Google does, but I don't know if that has any bearing on NeoGAF.

Should I remove the link/reference?

Gamespawn

Did they release more than one version of the Saturn in the US? I've got two that look different. Both work. I've got like 12 games. Only one I can remember right now is SCUD and Earthworm Jim.

Did they release more than one version of the Saturn in the US? I've got two that look different. Both work. I've got like 12 games. Only one I can remember right now is SCUD and Earthworm Jim.

Yeah.
The first one had oval power/reset buttons and an a disc access LED.
The 2nd model has circular power/reset buttons, no access LED, and came with Japanese-style controllers.

Sixfortyfive

One day I kind of want to see whether I can beat [Dragon Force] without handing out a single award.
So, I'm trying this right now. No awards, no Search, no Fortify, no item usage besides the 3 shrine artifacts and that one strategy book Hayate gives you. Also did all sidequests.

Everything has been manageable up until the endgame. Goldark is on his final assault and I think I'm fucked. Forces an encounter with Wein only (30 soldiers vs 100 cavalry), retreat not an option, and I can't figure out how to dupe him into Melee'ing me for a time-over scam. He's not taking the bait. Best I've done so far is whittling him down to 20 troops.

Hmm...

cj_iwakura

So, I'm trying this right now. No awards, no Search, no Fortify, no item usage besides the 3 shrine artifacts and that one strategy book Hayate gives you. Also did all sidequests.

Everything has been manageable up until the endgame. Goldark is on his final assault and I think I'm fucked. Forces an encounter with Wein only (30 soldiers vs 100 cavalry), retreat not an option, and I can't figure out how to dupe him into Melee'ing me for a time-over scam. He's not taking the bait. Best I've done so far is whittling him down to 20 troops.

Hmm...

Well maybe if you hadn't played as Wein...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Competitively MSHvSF may be ass but I'll be damned if it isn't fun to play. Presentation is through the roof too - gotta wonder if we would've seen an MvC1 port if that blasted Dreamcast never happened.

Teknoman

Competitively MSHvSF may be ass but I'll be damned if it isn't fun to play. Presentation is through the roof too - gotta wonder if we would've seen an MvC1 port if that blasted Dreamcast never happened.

Yeah you cant help but get hype after the intro. Also helps that its got the best OST out of the vs fighters. Imo of course.

televator

Well this is strange...

I ordered the SCART audio extractor from ebay to use with my YUV converter and ended up getting.... another YUV converter in the mail. I messaged the seller. Hopefully, they'll clear this up.

woodypop

Argh!

'Grats, sixteen-bit! You are a gentleman, Mikhal.

Edit: Nuts, what a lame top o' the page post. =/
Will try to spruce it up when I get home.

Edit 2: I don't think I've posted these in this thread before. Pix of my baby:

9FC8A271-A0FA-49F1-806A-FC1BC132D3EA-3122-000002E1737A6830_zpsa443c8f9.jpg

F94603C3-E242-4229-A5AB-B93261D17A71-3122-000002E1078EADC9_zps04caf85f.jpg

886E103A-E462-40C1-9169-F77D271412E7-3122-000002E12729D124_zps089edce2.jpg

jay

So this is a first time request for me, but can someone add "A Sega Exclusive" to my sweet Virtual Hydlide avatar?

Shining%20the%20Holy%20Ark%20%28U%29%20Front.jpg

Sorry for the huge pic.

Top Bottom