• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Was actually thinking about something like this if I was going to go balls deep into all this stuff.

f6Hfglk.jpg

I will need one of those down to road actually. But baby steps. This month I bought the Genesis Scart Cable, the Saturn Scart Cable, the Scart-> Component converter + audio extractor.

Next I need a component switch and a component vídeo recorder. Then I may think about a Scart switch.

Edit: mind if I ask you where I can find that switch?

I will need one of those down to road actually. But baby steps. This month I bought the Genesis Scart Cable, the Saturn Scart Cable, the Scart-> Component converter + audio extractor.

Next I need a component switch and a component vídeo recorder. Then I may think about a Scart switch.

Edit: mind if I ask you where I can find that switch?

Sadly the only place I've seen it for is directly from the company that makes them. They ship overseas I think, but will all be quite expensive I'm sure.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-scart-commander-clearance-price/KSC.html

That is the website. Name of the thing itself is the "KEENE SCART COMMANDER" if you want to search around. Be happy to hear if you find a better way of getting one or one like it. Seen people talk about it like it is a quality one, and I like that it has a remote so I would be able to tuck it away.

Sadly the only place I've seen it for is directly from the company that makes them. They ship overseas I think, but will all be quite expensive I'm sure.

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-scart-commander-clearance-price/KSC.html

That is the website. Name of the thing itself is the "KEENE SCART COMMANDER" if you want to search around. Be happy to hear if you find a better way of getting one or one like it. Seen people talk about it like it is a quality one, and I like that it has a remote so I would be able to tuck it away.

Their shipping is really, really expensive....

Sub-total £ 54.16
Delivery £ 69.35
Total £ 123.51

Their shipping is really, really expensive....

Sub-total £ 54.16
Delivery £ 69.35
Total £ 123.51

Yeah. Can get other ones for much cheaper off of sites like ebay, but don't know about the quality. Really though, it isn't something I am worried about as of yet. Just something I'm keeping an eye on.

Yes Boss!

My money is still on Micomsoft's Selecty-21.

Been meaning to buy it for a good while and I like the idea of keeping the pipeline all the same brand and it is friendly for PCBs. Perfect amount of outputs for me since I use Wii via the component, the Neo Geo X via the HDMI and would use the 3-way fJ-21 for PC Engine, Saturn, and Supergun.

televator

Damn! Retro accessories has SNES SCART cables but no Saturn cables. Anybody have some good alternate sellers for SCART to YUV applications?

televator

The UK Cable Store has them but the version just SCART (no separate audio leads).

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-saturn-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-cord-for-sale.html

This cable is 1.5 metres long and provides a pure red, green, blue (R-G-B) signal from a Sega Saturn Console (UK and European models only) to a Scart enabled television set, which is the highest quality signal available and eliminates the need for tuning-in due to auto AV switching.

Yanks not welcome! :p So with that, and according to Chiaroscuro's post, I should get the NTSC SCART cable. Thanks though.

I gotta find an NTSC SCART cable... Somebody sell me one! I have money.

Yes Boss!

Jesus,

Just looked at completed auctions fro Panzer Dragoon Saga. Like $300-400.

Wth is happening with games. They are going up so damn much.

Is the Saturn port of Samurai Shodown III worth owning as a shallow-pocket alternative? What was compromised?

I bought it years ago, and I haven't noticed any differences between it and the original version. It uses a RAM cart for extra memory, so I don't think anything was really comprised. It has some loading, but it's not long. About 7 seconds or so between fights, if I remember correctly. I remember most people saying it was a great port, and I'd agree.

The PlayStation version is ass, though. Cut animations, and a much slower game speed. It's often referred to as "Samurai Slowdown III."

Anyway, I don't have it, but I think Samurai Shodown IV on the Saturn had some issues, though. Possibly slowdown and/or missing frames...possibly smaller sprites, but I can't remember for certain. I haven't read up on it in years.

Bout a year ago I went to buy Snatcher Sega CD and it was around $200 so I bowed out. Now it is $300+ :-( I'm going to stick with japanese releases, it seems.

This is what's happening with Gamecube accessories. You can find a hori "digital" gamecube controller (i.e. it has a decent d-pad unlike the official controllers) on Yahoo auctions for about 50 USD, but it's being sold on ebay for 150, naturally. The component/s-video cords are ridiculous too. And I can't find anything for Saturn these days. I have a RGB port (that may or may not be functional, after the unlabeled Japanese RGB SFC cord didn't work ...), but I've only seen the cord once and it was selling for 100.

As for games, I stuck with Panzer Dragoon Azel, even though I find the story hard to follow. : ( It's just not worth it.

That's why I am power buying US Saturn games. That system is the "new" Turbo Duo/Neo Geo. I would be surprised if any of the more desirable games (coming near the end of the system's life, as it is seemingly always the case) ever drop in price, quite the contrary. If people are willing to spend upwards of $800 for cart only copies of Flintstones 2 and not feel bad about it, how could you feel bad about paying $400 for a complete/mint copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, a four-disc game with much more content and which is arguably even more rare (there are 4-5 Surprise at Dinosaur Peak carts listed every week - I am convinced that this game isn't as rare as people make it out to be: apparently many were dumped in South America and are now making their way back here through eBay).

I bought it years ago, and I haven't noticed any differences between it and the original version. It uses a RAM cart for extra memory, so I don't think anything was really comprised. It has some loading, but it's not long. About 7 seconds or so between fights, if I remember correctly. I remember most people saying it was a great port, and I'd agree.

The PlayStation version is ass, though. Cut animations, and a much slower game speed. It's often referred to as "Samurai Slowdown III."

Anyway, I don't have it, but I think Samurai Shodown IV on the Saturn had some issues, though. Possibly slowdown and/or missing frames...possibly smaller sprites, but I can't remember for certain. I haven't read up on it in years.

Thanks, I'll pick up 3. Looking at youtube for videos of 4 the Saturn version seems to suffer from crippling slowdown. I'll avoid that one.

That's why I am power buying US Saturn games. That system is the "new" Turbo Duo/Neo Geo. I would be surprised if any of the more desirable games (coming near the end of the system's life, as it is seemingly always the case) ever drop in price, quite the contrary. If people are willing to spend upwards of $800 for cart only copies of Flintstones 2 and not feel bad about it, how could you feel bad about paying $400 for a complete/mint copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, a four-disc game with much more content and which is arguably even more rare (there are 4-5 Surprise at Dinosaur Peak carts listed every week - I am convinced that this game isn't as rare as people make it out to be: apparently many were dumped in South America and are now making their way back here through eBay).

Seems like you aren't the only one thinking like that judging by my time on ebay recently. Never seen bidding like what is going on on like all the Saturn and CD games that I want. People going nuts a full minute or 2 before the end of the auction, instead of remaining sensible and bidding only in the last 5 seconds. Going like $30 more then a lot of recent sold prices. I have about 30 Saturn and CD games combined that I want to get, and I haven't gotten a single one.

Slermy

Bout a year ago I went to buy Snatcher Sega CD and it was around $200 so I bowed out. Now it is $300+ :-( I'm going to stick with japanese releases, it seems.

I'm kicking myself for not buying it during college. "$50-60 for an old Sega CD game? That's a bit much." I thought to myself.

Sigh...

It is a great game though, and I think Kojima's best.

People going nuts a full minute or 2 before the end of the auction, instead of remaining sensible and bidding only in the last 5 seconds.
Yeah, that is beyond stupid. But how about the idiots who bid several days before the end of an auction? How irritating is that? :-/

Japanese Saturn games are massively overpriced on eBay, moreso than the NA ones IMO. Many coveted games are BIN listed for months on end without anyone ever touching them.

Yeah, that is beyond stupid. But how about the idiots who bid several days before the end of an auction? How irritating is that? :-/

Well that I can see. Sure it doesn't make much sense on contested items, but for normal things you can get away with it, especially if you can't be there when it is going to end. If you are going to be there at the end of a contested auction anyway the only time you should bid is in the last 5 seconds for a couple of reasons. It doesn't give other people a chance to second guess their max bid, driving the price up. It also doesn't give you the chance to second guess your max bid. Decide on a number you are comfortable with, and put it in in the last 5 seconds. If you win it, great, you got it for how much you thought it was worth. This is just ebay101, which is why I'm so surprised at how I've been seeing the Saturn and CD games go the last few weeks.

It is still funny seeing someone get bidded up days before the end, and then outbid, only to see them come back later and bid again.

Edit: God Dammit. And I continue my no hitter. Just watched Dark Savior go for $50 with shipping when it failed 2 days ago at an auction for $39 and sell for under $30 two other times this week. Was just about to bid $40 when it jumped. This is it, isn't it. Just going to keep watching the games go up in price while never getting any.

Yes, I understand for people who won't be there towards the end, but I've seen several auction battles between two or three people days before the end of an auction. It never fails to amaze me.

You must be prepared to overpay the current market, sadly. However, chances are a month or two later you will be glad and feel like you had a deal in retrospect. That is how I rationalize it. I get burned sometimes, but usually it turns out well (not that I buy to resell, but it's nice to have games that appreciate in value, for the odd one you will truly dislike and decide to flip later on).

You must be prepared to overpay the current market, sadly. However, chances are a month or two later you will be glad and feel like you had a deal in retrospect. That is how I rationalize it. I get burned sometimes, but usually it turns out well (not that I buy to resell, but it's nice to have games that appreciate in value, for the odd one you will truly dislike and decide to flip later on).

Already accepted that, but thought going $40 on it was going to be enough. I just mad and venting though. Was last of today's auctions in another week with nothing.

I see that Astal and PD Zwei are $50+ nowadays... what the hell is that? (With cases that are almost always beat down, ugh.)

These were two of the most commonly found Saturn games back in the day. THAT is frustrating/insulting to me, not Panzer Saga and Burning Rangers at $400/$175 respectively.

Edit: Dark Savior at $50, like you mentioned earlier, I would also add to the insulting/aggravating list. I mean, that's an uncommon title at best, one that I saw several times in areas where the Saturn had no foothold (well, that's not saying much, but some places where worst than others when it came to Saturn support ;).

I see that Astal and PD Zwei are $50+ nowadays... what the hell is that? (With cases that are almost always beat down, ugh.)

I have no freaken clue. It must even be super recent too because just a couple weeks ago when I was looking at past pricing I have Astal marked down for $25 and Panzer Dragoon 2 for $30.

Wish I knew anything about flea markets and retro game stores in my area. Be nice to actually get some games.

When it comes to Saturn, there is only eBay, I'm afraid. :-/

The only Saturn (and Sega CD) games I see in the wild anymore are sports games (with beat down cases, so they're no use at all - merchants might as well throw them in the garbage).

I think I'm really getting into the groove of Dragon Force now. At least, I now have around 40 generals under my command, have teamed up with Teiris and expanded my kingdom's reach considerably. Hikkis is now quite chipper, although Rock's still whiny, and Hilga's getting kinda antsy too (both complaining about not seeing action, despite seeing plenty of action and getting awards accordingly - wut). Also lost a good general to a mortal wound (despite him successfully retreating from a battle - okay?). :(

Also met some Bastion bloke who changes sides at the drop of a hat - I'm hesitant to promote him any further lest I make him stronger for when I have to fight him for the umpteenth time. It's weird, too; I was defending Maryware from some oncoming Bozack warriors. One party just had one general in it, so I sent Bastion after them. He intercepts, and immediately switches sides to Bozack, and doubles back for Maryware. The traitor reaches it - and switches again to Highland, running off to some unoccupied castle. Make your mind up argh

Also met that vampire guy, but he kicked Wein's butt. Neither soldiers nor cavalry are particularly good against zombies, according to the chart in the manual, so I guess I'm gonna just have to play a numbers game with him - especially considering his special ability is to raise even more zombies.

A little curious as to why the BIN/CUE I made of the game doesn't work with SSF. Yabause can read it, but it has audio/video problems so no thanks there. Gonna have to rerip it... At least it's running fine on my white Saturn and stuff.

cj_iwakura

I think I'm really getting into the groove of Dragon Force now. At least, I now have around 40 generals under my command, have teamed up with Teiris and expanded my kingdom's reach considerably. Hikkis is now quite chipper, although Rock's still whiny, and Hilga's getting kinda antsy too (both complaining about not seeing action, despite seeing plenty of action and getting awards accordingly - wut). Also lost a good general to a mortal wound (despite him successfully retreating from a battle - okay?). :(

Also met some Bastion bloke who changes sides at the drop of a hat - I'm hesitant to promote him any further lest I make him stronger for when I have to fight him for the umpteenth time. It's weird, too; I was defending Maryware from some oncoming Bozack warriors. One party just had one general in it, so I sent Bastion after them. He intercepts, and immediately switches sides to Bozack, and doubles back for Maryware. The traitor reaches it - and switches again to Highland, running off to some unoccupied castle. Make your mind up argh

Also met that vampire guy, but he kicked Wein's butt. Neither soldiers nor cavalry are particularly good against zombies, according to the chart in the manual, so I guess I'm gonna just have to play a numbers game with him - especially considering his special ability is to raise even more zombies.

A little curious as to why the BIN/CUE I made of the game doesn't work with SSF. Yabause can read it, but it has audio/video problems so no thanks there. Gonna have to rerip it... At least it's running fine on my white Saturn and stuff.

Wein's troops are garbage. And Zombies decimate soldiers and cavalry. Bring Mages, Samurai, or Dragons.

As for Bastion,
He switches sides if he fights an army with a female general. Bury him somewhere far from the action or use him carefully.

Man is a wicked duelist though.

I don't think the vampire (Vlad, was it?) would take anyone other than Wein, though... I take it he could, feasibly, have those units under him at some point?

cj_iwakura

I don't think the vampire (Vlad, was it?) would take anyone other than Wein, though... I take it he could, feasibly, have those units under him at some point?

No, you have to fight him with your ruler. But yes, you can change Wein's troop classes, and absolutely should. Search castles for crests every week.

Mikhal

As for Bastion,
He switches sides if he fights an army with a female general. Bury him somewhere far from the action or use him carefully.

I never tested this but
I heard Bastion doesn't desert when there are female generals in the other army if he has a succubus in his division (Uryll or Sierra).

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I have recently discovered how amazing SSF is again. Last time I used it was back in 2008 on a Macbook Pro. This thing seems to emulate my Saturn stuff flawlessly. Friggin amazing to see Zwei and MMX4 with such pixel clarity.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I have recently discovered how amazing SSF is again. Last time I used it was back in 2008 on a Macbook Pro. This thing seems to emulate my Saturn stuff flawlessly. Friggin amazing to see Zwei and MMX4 with such pixel clarity.
Sega Saturn Saturday's returns? Shut up and take my YT like!

No, you have to fight him with your ruler. But yes, you can change Wein's troop classes, and absolutely should. Search castles for crests every week.
Have been. Only found one Soldier Crest so far.

Found plenty of generals who refuse to join up with me, though. In fact, in one case, there was this ninja (Slate, I think) who was in two castles at once!

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Looking for some advice - I just bought a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for a pretty nice buy it now price. I think the item was only up for a few minutes before I saw it. The description of the item was: "All disk, Never played. good as New" It also uses the default picture for the game (no additional photos).

I haven't processed payment yet, because I wanted to message him first to make sure it has the manual and case and maybe a few photos. No response yet (it's only been a few hours).

Does that item description seem sufficient, or should I wait on his response. I suck at eBay.

Noahd42

Banned
Looking for some advice - I just bought a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for a pretty nice buy it now price. I think the item was only up for a few minutes before I saw it. The description of the item was: "All disk, Never played. good as New" It also uses the default picture for the game (no additional photos).

I haven't processed payment yet, because I wanted to message him first to make sure it has the manual and case and maybe a few photos. No response yet (it's only been a few hours).

Does that item description seem sufficient, or should I wait on his response. I suck at eBay.

I'd wait for the response just because you don't want to be stuck with something that isn't what you want.

I'd wait for the response just because you don't want to be stuck with something that isn't what you want.

True. And that description is vague enought that can be read as "disc only, no manuals or case".

Well I do not blame you if you jump in a nice price for the game before clarifying the description with the seller. If you waited problaby the opportunity will be lost in minutes. But now the seller can also reinforce the ebay contract and demands from you a payment even if the item is disk only. Of course if he is nice that would not happen, but again if he is nice he would have place a better description (sounds like fishing newbies to me).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Kinda too late since you purchased it already. You committed to paying for it when you bought it under eBay policy. I'd be so annoyed if I were that seller.

Noahd42

Banned
True. And that description is vague enought that can be read as "disc only, no manuals or case".

Well I do not blame you if you jump in a nice price for the game before clarifying the description with the seller. If you waited problaby the opportunity will be lost in minutes. But now the seller can also reinforce the ebay contract and demands from you a payment even if the item is disk only. Of course if he is nice that would not happen, but again if he is nice he would have place a better description (sounds like fishing newbies to me).

Kinda too late since you purchased it already. You committed to paying for it when you bought it under eBay policy. I'd be so annoyed if I were that seller.

Sounds vague enough he might be able to dispute it if it isn't what he wanted, but I agree that if I was the seller that would be quite annoying. Just my 0.02.

Teknoman

When it comes to Saturn, there is only eBay, I'm afraid. :-/

The only Saturn (and Sega CD) games I see in the wild anymore are sports games (with beat down cases, so they're no use at all - merchants might as well throw them in the garbage).

Not necessarily. Last weekend I ran into a couple Neo Geo CD and PC engine CD games in a Half Price books next to some older PC games. Virtual On, Virtua Fighter Remix, Robo Aleste (missing the disc, but still) for Sega CD at an outdoor flea market.

Anything is possible.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member

Right on the money. It was a great price on it and would've definitely been gone. I made it clear that I have no problem paying right now with a bit of info.

Update: Seller got back to me. Said it has the case, manual, and all disks. Said I can have a photos if I want. So I took him up on it.

Top Bottom