• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I sometimes wish my copy of X4 had a box. I have the disc (skips a little on Dr. Light's theme, but otherwise is fine) and the manual, but no box...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
One of these days I'll sink $80 into MMX4. Not too long ago a CIB copy was $40 :(

Are the MM games really that expensive these days? I bought a sealed copy of X4 for like $30 back in 2008, when I first was getting into the Saturn... guess that was a good call.

I got my CIB copy of X4 for about $40 last year. Looks like I lucked out.

Are the MM games really that expensive these days? I bought a sealed copy of X4 for like $30 back in 2008, when I first was getting into the Saturn... guess that was a good call.

Apparently. MM8 Saturn had a really weird price jump in the last year or so, and it seems the same's happening to X4.

I'm going to play around with that Saturn emulator, tonight. I have a pretty large Saturn collection, but it's a pain in the ass plugging my Saturn in whenever I wanna play those games.

Mlatador

Banned
My biggest hope regarding all things Saturn is that one day the Saturn version of Vandal Hearts gets a translation (or just uses the Playstation one).

I wouldn't mind playing a translated version of Grandia either.

goldenpp72

Anyone have any opinions on the street fighter collection on the Saturn (US version) vs the PS1 release? Or any thoughts in general?

Danny Dudekisser

I got my CIB copy of X4 for about $40 last year. Looks like I lucked out.

Apparently. MM8 Saturn had a really weird price jump in the last year or so, and it seems the same's happening to X4.

Even back in '08, a new copy of MM8 cost me like $70. I can only imagine where it's at now. Let's find out!

*checks Ebay*

O_O

Anyone have any opinions on the street fighter collection on the Saturn (US version) vs the PS1 release? Or any thoughts in general?

Better than the PS1 version, but still has some cut frames of animation, as I recall. Particularly with the larger characters in SFA2 Gold.

Every retrogame took a bump price in the last two years and the prices continues to rise. Games that were $ 10 are now $ 50, games that were $ 50 now goes over $ 200.

It will be difficult to build up a nice collection in The coming years.

Danny Dudekisser

Every retrogame took a bump price in the last two years and the prices continues to rise. Games that were $ 10 are now $ 50, games that were $ 50 now goes over $ 200.

I'm honestly starting to wonder if that's just going to be the new state of things, rather than a temporary phenomenon. And perhaps more importantly, what's caused the surge in interest, because I can't see it being pure nostalgia.... the demand seems too widespread for that.

goldenpp72

I'm honestly starting to wonder if that's just going to be the new state of things, rather than a temporary phenomenon. And perhaps more importantly, what's caused the surge in interest, because I can't see it being pure nostalgia.... the demand seems too widespread for that.

I'd guess many factors, while no evidence to prove either way, i'd say the following are driving up demand.

Gaming taking a shift away from the mechanics games focused on up into the late Ps2/early 360 generation.

Generation going on too long, people got bored.

Games becoming outright harder to find, many forums, communities, etc have boomed with the desire to collect, and this means when people find the, they keep them, and many less circulate.

Ebay sellers working in tandem to artificially inflate listings, almost any game nowadays never has a low auction start, but instead a buy it now or high auction start price that makes it so you either pay the price, or don't get it at all, causing the inflation to increase faster than prior.

People who grow up during those eras now having jobs and money.

I'm sure eventually the prices will go down, but I'm still trying to finish off my collections despite the high prices just in case, I only buy things i want to play anyways, so even if my items 'lose value' i'll be happy I own them.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

2/12/2010
uxLwOrC.png

My biggest hope regarding all things Saturn is that one day the Saturn version of Vandal Hearts gets a translation (or just uses the Playstation one).

I wouldn't mind playing a translated version of Grandia either.

Wasn't the Vandal Hearts Saturn port a KCEK job? They really messed up the SotN port. Did this fare any better?

IrishNinja

I'd guess many factors, while no evidence to prove either way, i'd say the following are driving up demand.

Gaming taking a shift away from the mechanics games focused on up into the late Ps2/early 360 generation.

Games becoming outright harder to find, many forums, communities, etc have boomed with the desire to collect, and this means when people find the, they keep them, and many less circulate.

Ebay sellers working in tandem to artificially inflate listings, almost any game nowadays never has a low auction start, but instead a buy it now or high auction start price that makes it so you either pay the price, or don't get it at all, causing the inflation to increase faster than prior.

I'm sure eventually the prices will go down, but I'm still trying to finish off my collections despite the high prices just in case, I only buy things i want to play anyways, so even if my items 'lose value' i'll be happy I own them.

yeah, i figure a lot've this to be true myself, plus 90s nostalgia being a big thing lately too. it's upsetting that i had to sell so much of my collection during the early 2000's to pay bills (when it didn't go for as much) and is costing me now to replace, but them's the breaks

Yeah I prefer XvSF. The SF roster in MSHvsSF was disappointingwith like half of them being shotos lol. I loved the enthusiastic-ass portraits though.

oneida

Yeah I prefer XvSF. The SF roster in MSHvsSF was kinda lame with like half of them being shotos lol. I loved the crazy ass portraits though.
In terms of presentation MSHvSF is the clear superior. But both games are broke as fuck competitively, with XvSF still being very very fun. I kind of like it more than Marvel 2

Well, those factors must be true. At least for me. This long generation made me bored so I start to check the past consoles, where nostalgia hit me and of course now I have the income I did not have at my teenager years.
But I kinda thing that I missed the retrocollecting train, at least when the prices are concerned. Three years ago it would be easy to build up a very respectable collection. Now it is pain, not only because of the higher prices but also I need to pay a lot for shipping (which costs also got higher). I am paying like US$ 15 just for shipping of each game (international shipping with no tracking) so even the cheapest games range in the US$ 25 area. Of course I can buy games together or in lot for saving in shipping (not much really) but usually I only find one game at the desired condition from each seller.

You mean for a level or something? I just don't know. D:

There would be basically two for starters, since both exclusive bosses have their own boss themes.

Right, I looked up the list. Tengu Man's music is entirely different on Saturn. Also it has the music tracks for those two hidden bosses, which of course aren't in the PS1 version, so nor is their music. The Saturn version also has a couple of minor graphical changes; for instance, apparently there are more (regular) enemies in some parts of the game on Saturn, versus PS1.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So apparently I've lost my Saturn s-video cable. Ugh. I don't really want to spend $50 to replace it in case I can find mine. Would getting a SCART cable and a SCART -> s-video adapter be my best/cheapest option?

Kainazzo

So apparently I've lost my Saturn s-video cable. Ugh. I don't really want to spend $50 to replace it in case I can find mine. Would getting a SCART cable and a SCART -> s-video adapter be my best/cheapest option?

Whoa, can't believe official ones are that high. In 2007 I got one for $7 0_o.

If you don't mind an unofficial one with long distance shipping, you can get this for about $18 shipped.

For US domestic, retro_console_accessories sells a cheap, quality RGB cable. An s-video adapter might work well for that, on the off chance you ever decide to upgrade in the future. Unfortunately, she seems to be gone at the moment.

It would give you a better image quality (RGB >>> s-video) however it won't be cheap.

A scart cable will cost you around US$ 16, but the converter + audio extractor will end around US$ 60. Plus shipping, of course.

It would give you a better image quality (RGB >>> s-video) however it won't be cheap.

A scart cable will cost you around US$ 16, but the converter + audio extractor will end around US$ 60. Plus shipping, of course.

RGB converted to S-Video is better than S-video from the system? Is that possible?

RGB converted to S-Video is better than S-video from the system? Is that possible?

Ops, I misundestood the original question. I meant Scart converted to Component, not to S-video.

Otherwise I will see no reason to buy a more expensive setup (scart cable + scart to s-video) that will not be better than the original s-video (as you already pointed out).

How well is SSF working for emulation these days? How's it work for Shining Force 3 on a decent PC?

The only reason I keep my modded Saturn around was going to be for Shining Force 3 translation project and a handful of Saturn games. I got too distracted by kids and work though and it's been used like a half dozen times since 2003 or so. And most of the other games I was playing got revivals or ports/remakes of some sort (XBLA and the like).

I should probably sell it off (moving the family to an apartment for a while and need to clear out a LOT of misc stuff). Just curious how SSF is performing these days before I clear it out- when I got the modded Saturn years ago, Saturn emulation was barely in the "we can see the startup screen" phases. It sounds like it's pretty good now?

Has some issues, though. Mostly audio-related (some instruments sound consistently off-key), some not (Clockwork Knight 2 goes to a black screen and Rayman treats all input as if it were Turbo - despite both games working fine in earlier versions - just to name a few). Admittedly, I haven't tried the version released last month or so.

Is Rockman X4 better on Saturn than on PSX?

Saturn, but just slightly.

Saturn has some better background effects and soundtrack looping, but it's missing some of the transparency effects that the PS1 version has (only example I can think of at the moment are the spotlights in the introductory stage).

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Hi,
Finally joined for this topic ;)
Ive been getting into the Saturn now for around 2/3 years mostly Emulation but have since got myself another console and chipping it up very soon. Only because i will not pay the stupid Japanese prices!
Also Ive only started playing PDS and have to say it's awesome! Now on disc 3 around 10 hours gameplay,all on SSF_012_beta_R3 works perfect! and looks better on my HDTV than my Saturn on my CRT ;)
Anyway Id recommend anyone who hasn't Played PDS to give it ago!
Is it worth the money? Id say no but it's worth playing and it's perfect on SSF.

oneida

OOF.
Ouch. Fuck, it burns a little.

Just bit the bullet and sunk $80 into a nice CiB copy of Mega Man X4.

What a hobby I've got.

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Thought I might post this here, as my first post ever : )

I managed to make SweetFX compatible with SSF Ver0.12 beta R3, using the AdvancedCRT shader (which is nothing else but the cgwg CRT shader ported to HLSL) :

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4599754&postcount=893

I recommand setting 320 as CRTResolutionX and 240 as CRTResolutionY since that's the native Saturn res (afaik)
It doesn't seem to work too well in fullscreen mode though, keep it windowed mode for now.
Can you send the complete files i need for this to happen ;)

I just pulled my Saturn out of storage, dusted it off...
And it booted right up. I needed to replace the AV cable, cause it got damaged, but g-damnit, video game consoles pre 2000s were invincible, at least by comparison to the shit we got now[still currently bummed over recent ylod].
Anyways, I bought my old favorite game off ebay, Dark Savior.
250px-Dark_Savior_Coverart.png

I remembered this game as the hands down darkest game I played as a child. you basically chase down an escaped monster on a prison island
that kills errrbody
Anyways, I've been enjoying it immensely. Especially, since I found out how much more there was to it than I thought as a kid...
This puzzle fighter platformer rpg has three almost completely different campaigns and then some built into it. I had no idea I only experienced roughly only a third of the game as a kid.

These campaigns are called 'parrelels'. 5 of them to be exact. There's also a rumored 6th one, hidden somewhere. So, I've decided to 100% the game and give a shot at finding it, just like with the pendant mystery in Dark Souls[which I believe is still unsolved...?].
To the one or two nerds that might have any idea what I'm talking about; I've decided that since parrelels 4 and 5 are attached to parrelels 3 and 2 respectively, a rumored 6th one, must be attached to parrelel 1, so that's where I'm searching.

Teknoman

Not the Shoot 'Em Ups!!

True, but its gotta be the shooters like Blast Wing and Hyperduel. You can get...or should be able to get stuff like Salamander collection or Parodius collection for decent prices.

Unless things have spiked up, havent checked for anything on the Saturn in awhile.

EDIT: Agreed about Dark Savior. I'm going to play that again at some point, since I had no idea what I was doing as a kid.

Top Bottom