• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

kinn

Sorry to get your hopes up, it's one of those rumors without any weight, I'm afraid. I just thought it would be fun to go after it, seeing how it's existence is unconfirmed, one way or the other.
But, here's the link I found most of my info at-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=pHHBn1Mia_Li9MAzKmiFOg&bvm=bv.49784469,d.eWU
Personally, I think parralel 5 has such a weird an obscure way to unlock it, and this game had such a modest reception, it really could have just been missed.
BTW, climax' is pretty weak these days. I believe, all they make are handheld license games. It's sad, they had some great ideas.

Drat! Well thanks for the link. Will read it later.

Seik

Banned
Why are you playing a 4:3 game in 16:9 argh

Haha I know what you mean, I was doing the same thing back then, if you take a look at my OP's shots they're all in 16:9.

Luckily one day I realized it looked like shit and it's better to play 4:3 even if it's not full screen. :p

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a PVM that doesn't do RGB, so s-video is my best video option. I have s-video cables (or at least had...) but I cannot find the damn things anywhere. I don't want to spend $50 to replace them. Is getting a SCART cable and a SCART -> S-video adapter my best option?

baphomet

I've got a PVM that doesn't do RGB, so s-video is my best video option. I have s-video cables (or at least had...) but I cannot find the damn things anywhere. I don't want to spend $50 to replace them. Is getting a SCART cable and a SCART -> S-video adapter my best option?

What's the PVM that doesn't do RGB? If you don't want to to buy a new svideo cable, scart to svideo is probably a good idea, but that's going to be around $35-40 I would think.

Try hitting up rakuten for S-Video cables at non-ridiculous prices. Just search "セガサターン S端子"

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Why are you playing a 4:3 game in 16:9 argh

X4 is such a great game. Glad I got my copy when I did, but still kinda sad it didn't come with a box. Manual and disc, yes. Box, no. Oh well...

Doesn't help that the USD/JPY rate keeps going up and down like a roller-coaster. It was above 100 for a short while, but now it seems to be nosediving down below 97. Ugh.
Because its on my HDTV and looks fine in my eyes. It's not a horrid stretched image IMO. And PDS looks awesome. Most my retro stuff is played in 4:3 like my SFC/PS1 but the Saturn looks better for my ageing eyes ;).

Mikhal

Holy crap, how am I only now finding out about this site? And they ship worldwide, too? Shieeeeeet

I just placed an order for s-video cables, Layer Section, Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTs, and Christmas NiGHTs for $38.

I've made a few posts about Rakuten in this thread before. Rakuten is just an online marketplace that is popular in Japan. If you're ordering outside Japan, you'll most likely be dealing with the shop Surugaya-a-too since they're one of the few shops that have a good selection of games and actually ship internationally (most of the shops do not actually ship internationally without a proxy service). It may take them over a week to confirm your order so try to be patient. Once they confirm your order they'll send you an e-mail with an invoice and you'll have to reply to it and confirm before they'll ship it out to you. They only do EMS shipping so be mindful of shipping costs cause they really add up!

Determining condition on Rakuten is almost impossible.

yeah, I noticed that everything has stock photos and no information if it is new/used or condition.

Expect items to be used unless stated otherwise. The stuff I've gotten from Surugaya has always arrived in great condition and boxes/manuals are always included unless the listing mentions otherwise. Spine cards aren't guaranteed (though they did give me two spinecards for MvSF once). I believe you can also ask them for pics/further details in the notes while ordering (never tried). Here's some pics of the stuff I've gotten from them that I've posted in the thread in the past to give you a general idea of the condition of the items. All my games so far were in great condition.

saturn.jpg

saturn2.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some pics of the stuff I've gotten from them that I've posted in the thread in the past to give you a general idea of the condition of the items. All my games so far were in great condition.
Damn those look nice. If it works out well I might take a chance on a bunch more higher priced games on there.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What's the PVM that doesn't do RGB?
Hey sorry I just saw this. It's a PVM-20L1. The big con is obviously no RGB input, but the pros are it was only $50, it was manufactured in 2003, and it let me get rid of my 36" TV. I'll keep my eyes peeled for an RGB ready one and get one some day. It still looks pretty awesome with s-video.

Broke down and just bought Sega Ages (US) and Galaxy Force off eBay. Gonna get some classic Sega arcade action on.

Came this close to finally pulling the trigger on Hyper Duel or Taromaru, but resisted. Getting harder and harder, though...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You're a champ for getting MMX4 in box, when the copy I have came without the box or manual and had a irremovable printed store logo on the disc.
If it makes you feel better, you probably spent a whole lot less than me :X

Broke down and just bought Sega Ages (US) and Galaxy Force off eBay. Gonna get some classic Sega arcade action on.

Came this close to finally pulling the trigger on Hyper Duel or Taromaru, but resisted. Getting harder and harder, though...

Taromaru is no joke pricewise. I'd have a hard time justifying a purchase.

televator

Okay... Should I just get cozy with the idea that I'll never have a Saturn SCART cable?

Every time I check, they either aren't selling any cable (period); or they just ran out.

Ebay is also kind enough to let me know that 50 other people are checking out the same page as me... seems demand is high.

baphomet

Okay... Should I just get cozy with the idea that I'll never have a Saturn SCART cable?

Every time I check, they either aren't selling any cable (period); or they just ran out.

Ebay is also kind enough to let me know that 50 other people are checking out the same page as me... seems demand is high.

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

Check the Saturn accessories section and they're in stock for like 9.90GBP so like $16 or something.

JLynn

Even back in '08, a new copy of MM8 cost me like $70. I can only imagine where it's at now. Let's find out!

*checks Ebay*

O_O

That's about how I bought mine in around 2007 to replace the one I had that was destroyed in a fire.

20130803_140001.jpg

On another note, have any of you buy a game disc only, then seperately buy the case, rear insert, and instructions? If so, how did that fare out for you? I got this for about $75 shipped total by doing that.

20130803_140103.jpg

Taromaru is no joke pricewise. I'd have a hard time justifying a purchase.

Truth, though:

1) I have watched the price on both of those creep up over the years, and worry if I keep stalling someday the price tag will be so high it's not even a reasonable option, and

2) Those two really are the last couple big-ticket games for my Saturn collection.

Teknoman

That's about how I bought mine in around 2007 to replace the one I had that was destroyed in a fire.

20130803_140001.jpg

On another note, have any of you buy a game disc only, then seperately buy the case, rear insert, and instructions? If so, how did that fare out for you? I got this for about $75 shipped total by doing that.

20130803_140103.jpg

I still need the manual for Dragon Force.

The only thing I dont like about 32 bit generation CD systems is that without the manual, you've got a blank case.

oneida

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Panzer Dragoon Saga save files can be mixed and matched with different versions of the game. For example, you can use disc 1 of the PAL version, and carry on playing your save file using disc 2 of the NTSC version with no issues.
-Will of the Ancients

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Panzer Dragoon Saga save files can be mixed and matched with different versions of the game. For example, you can use disc 1 of the PAL version, and carry on playing your save file using disc 2 of the NTSC version with no issues.
-Will of the Ancients

lol dat desperate measure!

Teknoman

How do people end up selling single discs of a multi disc game anyway? Do they just lose the others, or only found incomplete somewhere?

I dunno about discs 2-4, but Disc 1 was given out for free in PAL-Land, as a bundled "demo disc" with copies of Sega Saturn Magazine or something.

How do people end up selling single discs of a multi disc game anyway? Do they just lose the others, or only found incomplete somewhere?

More often then not, yeah, that is what happens. There is still the rare case of a reseller thinking they can get more ducets from selling the game in separate parts. Use to see that a lot more then I do now.

oneida

I don't think I've shared my collection yet.

• Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Sonic Jam
  • Fighters Megamix
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  • Megaman X4
  • Nightwarriors Darkstalkers Revenge
  • 3 Free Pack (Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA)
  • Shining Force III
  • Galactic Attack
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Daytona USA Championship Edition

All games are complete except Sonic Jam. My girlfriend made me a custom cover for Sonic Jam which I've already posted.

The rest:

• Soukyugurentai
  • SEGA Rally Championship 1995
  • Cotton Boomerang
  • Street Fighter Collection
  • Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
  • Shienryu
  • The King of Fighters '97
  • X-MEN vs Street Fighter
  • Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
  • Space Harrier
  • Metal Black
  • Burning Rangers (US) (disc only)
  • Vampire Savior
  • OutRun
  • Virtual-On
  • NiGHTS (US)

So what's the best way to pack up these babies, exactly? Gonna be moving to a new place within a month or so, and I don't want to gain any cracked longboxes.

Teknoman

So what's the best way to pack up these babies, exactly? Gonna be moving to a new place within a month or so, and I don't want to gain any cracked longboxes.

I'd buy some bubble wrap, and then wrap the hell out of each case...then maybe put those inside a bubble wrap envelope...or something.

I wonder how stores received Saturn deliveries back in the day?

woodypop

20130803_140103.jpg
That's exactly how I assembled my Dragon Force years ago. Got the disc for waaay cheap off Craigslist, and bought the manual/case on eBay (I think) for a decent price. Saved a bundle.

Top Bottom