• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

True, but its gotta be the shooters like Blast Wing and Hyperduel. You can get...or should be able to get stuff like Salamander collection or Parodius collection for decent prices.

Unless things have spiked up, havent checked for anything on the Saturn in awhile.

EDIT: Agreed about Dark Savior. I'm going to play that again at some point, since I had no idea what I was doing as a kid.

Nothing worth playing is cheap anymore.

TheContact

I remember I got the Sega Saturn the day my brother got the PS1, and I don't remember what he was playing but I was playing Virtua Fighter, and it was awesome. My favorite game for the Sega Saturn had to be Guardian Heroes. I loved the game Dragon Force, too, and Panzer Dragoon, and of course Nights into Dreams. I even had this special controller that came with the game. I wish I kept these things *sobs* Those are about the only games I remember playing.

Satrun_Controller.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What happens when a certain game gets to be known as good, or a hidden gem. Suddenly a bunch more people want to play it and demand goes way up, then the price never falls.
Guys DYK that Spy Hunter is secretly the best NES game? Lucky for you I've got an extra I can part with for $80

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
I thought emulating games you don't own was frowned upon.

Maybe it is. But i own all mine or at least some of them i do ;)
I use emulation as a backup because i use the HDTV for most of my gaming. Like i said before i use a "Real" Saturn on my CRT. So I'm not harming anyone. And yes it's chipped because I make backups and don't have to worry about discs getting scratched.

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
True, but its gotta be the shooters like Blast Wing and Hyperduel. You can get...or should be able to get stuff like Salamander collection or Parodius collection for decent prices.

Unless things have spiked up, havent checked for anything on the Saturn in awhile.
RS and Thunder Force are stupid money as well. I bought RS years ago for about £50 and did have the Thunder Force packs. But sadly they have gone....But I'm a mission to get them again. I did get the TF game on PS1 But the Saturn version is the one to have!

Seik

Banned
Maybe it is. But i own all mine or at least some of them i do ;)
I use emulation as a backup because i use the HDTV for most of my gaming. Like i said before i use a "Real" Saturn on my CRT. So I'm not harming anyone. And yes it's chipped because I make backups and don't have to worry about discs getting scratched.

You shouldn't say stuff like this. ;)

Watch out with triple/double posts as well.

You were lucky to find Radiant Silvergun for 50£, quite a deal, it's one of the few Saturn game I paid almost full price a few years ago. D:

I thought emulating games you don't own was frowned upon.

I really do despair at this sort of nonsense regarding a near 20yr old console.

If Sega or any of the software houses still received money from the sale of used hardware or software I could understand it, but they don't.

..so lets just drop the pretence ffs.

If Sega or any of the software houses still received money from the sale of used hardware or software I could understand it, but they don't.

Whether we agree with it or not, talking about doing it still will get you banned on this site, so it's better to keep the pretense.

They're re-releasing some of these games on XBLA and PSN so yes, emulation and the used game market will have an impact on their bottom line.

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
They're re-releasing some of these games on XBLA and PSN so yes, emulation and the used game market will have an impact on their bottom line.
Not true at all! Games on XBLA and PSN only drive the cost up further on those "used" retro games and the companies don't see £$! I for one was hoping it would drop them but just look at Radiant Silvergun for example. I can bet you if PDS was ever released it would drive the cost up even further! Again will sega or anyone see that money? Nope.

Bullshit...you buy them on those services because you want them on those platforms with all the extras that come with it.

Or you just want them... because you don't have Sega Saturn or can't be bothered with emulation on PC with bioses, folders and all that shit. Sega just happens to offer them on modern platforms a good chunk of gamers happen to own today.

Sega is well within its rights to protect their intellectual properties and profit for them.

Sega is well within its rights to protect their intellectual properties and profit for them.

..how exactly does Sega and the software houses profit from 2nd hand sales, 10-20yrs after the fact?, because that's the only option open to Saturn collectors who want the physical objects themselves.

Someone who buys 2nd hand or downloads an ISO they don't actually own, makes no difference whatsoever to Sega and the software houses in terms of revenue...it's not an 'either' 'or' choice.

If they release the old games on modern hardware, they make money from them, emulation on PC won't make a blind bit of difference to that.

..it's probably emulation that made these companies wake up to the nostalgia factor and ability to make money from it, that made them go to the trouble of releasing stuff on new hardware in the first place.

..how exactly does Sega and the software houses profit from 2nd hand sales, 10-20yrs after the fact?, because that's the only option open to Saturn collectors who want the physical objects themselves.

Someone who buys 2nd hand or downloads an ISO they don't actually own, makes no difference whatsoever to Sega and the software houses in terms of revenue...it's not an 'either' 'or' choice.

If they release the old games on modern hardware, they make money from them, emulation on PC won't make a blind bit of difference to that.

..it's probably emulation that made these companies wake up to the nostalgia factor and ability to make money from it, that made them go to the trouble of releasing stuff on new hardware in the first place.

They don't profit from second hand sales and they don't want to take part in it. They most certainly don't condone illegal downloads of ROMs and ISOs.

It's wrong to assume everyone who downloads an ISO or buy an used game, it's a lost sale for Sega. But some of those people who got their games that way, had to have more than a passing interest in them and might have bought them legally from Sega if it were their only option. So yes, if you already have the game (illegally and for free), why pay for it?

One could argue the emu scene made software houses like Sega realized there was a market for old games, but it's no excuse to continue to download illegal ROMs and ISOs when a legal channel has been provided.

Anything else to add, you software pirate?

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
"If you see strict DRM and copy protection that threatens the preservation of history, fight it: copy the work, keep it safe, and eventually share it so it never disappears.
Some people may think ill of your archival efforts now, but they’re on the wrong side of history: no one living 500 years from now will judge your infringing deeds harshly when they can load up an ancient program and see it for themselves."

500 hundred years from now...

"what's this? A genuine Sega Genesis cart, an external hard drive and CD-R's with ROMS crudely written on them, media from the end of the 20th century, we estimate. Analysis shows the hard drive is completely demagnetized, the CD-Rs have degraded way past beyond their supposed 100-year guarantee. The plated gold contacts on the cart are a bit worn out and dusty, but blowing on them does the trick. "

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
500 hundred years from now...

"what's this? A genuine Sega Genesis cart, an external hard drive and CD-R's with ROMS written on them, media from the end of the 20th century, we estimate. Analysis shows the hard drive is completely demagnetized, the CD-Rs have degraded way past beyond their 100-year guarantee. The plated gold contacts on the cart are a bit worn out and dusty, but blowing on them does the trick. "

There are vast libraries of games on CDs, DVDs, cartridges and FlashROM cards that are slowly but surely shuffling towards a bit rot graveyard. No amount of blowing will help you out lol But Emulation will always live on.

Plenty, but it would be wasted on the likes of you...

Don't let me stop you from extolling the virtues of pirating, the best places to get ROMs and bioses and tips while burning ISOs

I may be close-minded, but other people on this forum are not. Remember, this whole thing is bigger than you just wanting to play great software without paying for it, you are actually preserving history for future generations.

televator

Shit, we really aren't allowed to talk about downloaded.... content. I understand why we can't talk about it, and I have kinda pushed the envelope before, but I wish it weren't so taboo to the point where people are vilified for it.

I think we're all better off just avoiding bringing it up so openly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just pulled my Saturn out of storage, dusted it off...
And it booted right up. I needed to replace the AV cable, cause it got damaged, but g-damnit, video game consoles pre 2000s were invincible, at least by comparison to the shit we got now[still currently bummed over recent ylod].
Anyways, I bought my old favorite game off ebay, Dark Savior.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...r_Coverart.png/250px-Dark_Savior_Coverart.png
I remembered this game as the hands down darkest game I played as a child. you basically chase down an escaped monster on a prison island
that kills errrbody
Anyways, I've been enjoying it immensely. Especially, since I found out how much more there was to it than I thought as a kid...
This puzzle fighter platformer rpg has three almost completely different campaigns and then some built into it. I had no idea I only experienced roughly only a third of the game as a kid.
I remember renting this back in the day and hating it because of its shitty controls. Is my memory wrong, or was I just bad at games then and rage-quit like a little bitch? I think Landstalkers was much better...

I remember renting this back in the day and hating it because of its shitty controls. Is my memory wrong, or was I just bad at games then and rage-quit like a little bitch? I think Landstalkers was much better...

No you were in the right imo.
Dark Savior has some interesting ideas, but it's frustrating as hell.

I gave up on it after losing an hour of progress to a rolling ball, and Landstalker is in my top 10 favorite games of all time.

It's no jewel. It's got decent puzzles and an interesting story, I like the art aesthetic too, but it's plagued with slow down and let's say, less than ideal platforming. I suspect it's mostly thanks to nostalgia I'm enjoying it so much. But, I honestly am, enjoying it, that is.
I should try LandStalker...

Seik

Banned
I may be close-minded, but other people on this forum are not. Remember, this whole thing is bigger than you just wanting to play great software without paying for it, you are actually preserving history for future generations.

You understand! *brofist*

kinn

I just pulled my Saturn out of storage, dusted it off...
And it booted right up. I needed to replace the AV cable, cause it got damaged, but g-damnit, video game consoles pre 2000s were invincible, at least by comparison to the shit we got now[still currently bummed over recent ylod].
Anyways, I bought my old favorite game off ebay, Dark Savior.
250px-Dark_Savior_Coverart.png

I remembered this game as the hands down darkest game I played as a child. you basically chase down an escaped monster on a prison island
that kills errrbody
Anyways, I've been enjoying it immensely. Especially, since I found out how much more there was to it than I thought as a kid...
This puzzle fighter platformer rpg has three almost completely different campaigns and then some built into it. I had no idea I only experienced roughly only a third of the game as a kid.

These campaigns are called 'parrelels'. 5 of them to be exact. There's also a rumored 6th one, hidden somewhere. So, I've decided to 100% the game and give a shot at finding it, just like with the pendant mystery in Dark Souls[which I believe is still unsolved...?].
To the one or two nerds that might have any idea what I'm talking about; I've decided that since parrelels 4 and 5 are attached to parrelels 3 and 2 respectively, a rumored 6th one, must be attached to parrelel 1, so that's where I'm searching.

Loved the game. Love the idea of parrelels and how at the start, how you deal with the monster affects the story and events to come.

But a 6th parrelel you say?! Never heard anything about that! Got any more info?

And Landstalker is amazing. Still gutted about the PSP remake being canned, What hapened wih Climax? They even around today?

What about their other game? Time Stalkers? Any good? Just heard bad things about it. But it ha characters from its past games right?

Loved the game. Love the idea of parrelels and how at the start, how you deal with the monster affects the story and events to come.

But a 6th parrelel you say?! Never heard anything about that! Got any more info?

And Landstalker is amazing. Still gutted about the PSP remake being canned, What hapened wih Climax? They even around today?

What about their other game? Time Stalkers? Any good? Just heard bad things about it. But it ha characters from its past games right?

Sorry to get your hopes up, it's one of those rumors without any weight, I'm afraid. I just thought it would be fun to go after it, seeing how it's existence is unconfirmed, one way or the other.
But, here's the link I found most of my info at-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=pHHBn1Mia_Li9MAzKmiFOg&bvm=bv.49784469,d.eWU
Personally, I think parralel 5 has such a weird an obscure way to unlock it, and this game had such a modest reception, it really could have just been missed.
BTW, climax' is pretty weak these days. I believe, all they make are handheld license games. It's sad, they had some great ideas.

Plenty, but it would be wasted on the likes of you...

I know it will be uselles to argue with you, but illegal is illegal. Everybody has the right to protected their proprierty, it the basis of the capitalism system.

I do not argue that any software publisher is directly damaged by coping a 20 years old software that is not sold by them anymore. Directly. But of course that publisher may have plans for the game/franchise that goes beyond the original release and that can be impacted.

Besides, I am not allow to "borrow" my neightbour's Ferrari because he does not use it and it just stays parked at his garage.

And please stop here. Everybody. This is not a thread for that kind of discussion. What you do in your house is not my business unless you start to brag about it.

Sorry about the double post, but I do not want to mix my question with that topic.

Does anyone knows if the Japanese release of Deep Fear can be played in English? It is a PAL/JPN only game but I am not sure about the JPN release.

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
All Saturn X4 has over the PS1 version is additional background effects like heat distortion on Magmard Dragoon's level. You really aren't missing much.

Yeah.. just been playing X4 and i have the PS1 version aswell. But the heat haze looks sweet ;) But other than that not much else like you say.

Defunkled

Did Radiant Silvergun's price drop around the release of the XBLA version? Really want to pick up the Saturn version but I've seen nothing below $160 on eBay.

Did Radiant Silvergun's price drop around the release of the XBLA version? Really want to pick up the Saturn version but I've seen nothing below $160 on eBay.

I dropped a bit, but the price has been $150+ for a decade. The price drops seem to come in the form of monetary inflation, lol.

Yeah.. just been playing X4 and i have the PS1 version aswell. But the heat haze looks sweet ;) But other than that not much else like you say.
Why are you playing a 4:3 game in 16:9 argh

X4 is such a great game. Glad I got my copy when I did, but still kinda sad it didn't come with a box. Manual and disc, yes. Box, no. Oh well...

I dropped a bit, but the price has been $150+ for a decade. The price drops seem to come in the form of monetary inflation, lol.
Doesn't help that the USD/JPY rate keeps going up and down like a roller-coaster. It was above 100 for a short while, but now it seems to be nosediving down below 97. Ugh.

Top Bottom