• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Fou-Lu

Is it impossible to find a working Sega Saturn or something? I've bought three and not a single one worked... I just want to play my copy of Shining Force 3! Maybe I should just emulate... But it's not the same guys.

cj_iwakura

Is it impossible to find a working Sega Saturn or something? I've bought three and not a single one worked... I just want to play my copy of Shining Force 3! Maybe I should just emulate... But it's not the same guys.

I've had mine for literally 17 years. Still works without a hitch.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
My launch Saturn runs like Clinton were still in office

Here's a weird thing, on my first saturn certain games would not load. What i did was i took a business card, cut it into a circle with a hole in it, the size of the spindle with the hole being the same size as the raised part of the spindle. And then poped the cd ontop of it, and they all started working... might be worth a shot

Fou-Lu

Here's a weird thing, on my first saturn certain games would not load. What i did was i took a business card, cut it into a circle with a hole in it, the size of the spindle with the hole being the same size as the raised part of the spindle. And then poped the cd ontop of it, and they all started working... might be worth a shot

I'm willing to try almost anything at this point, maybe I am just really unlucky though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only really touchy aspect of Saturn hardware is the cartridge slot, in my experience. I haven't really had problems with anything else.

Mine was used and worked fine. What do you mean by not working? Do any of them start up and show the default menu screen, but not load the games? Or do the consoles simply not even turn on?

ss_lemonade

Weird, I always thought Saturns were built like tanks. Our 15+ year old Saturn still works even after going through so much

Fou-Lu

Mine was used and worked fine. What do you mean by not working? Do any of them start up and show the default menu screen, but not load the games? Or do the consoles simply not even turn on?

One wouldn't turn on at all, one would load the menu but crash if I tried to load a game and my newest one will only run Guardian Heroes and nothing else I have tried, and it only runs it for like ten minutes at a time.

One wouldn't turn on at all, one would load the menu but crash if I tried to load a game and my newest one will only run Guardian Heroes and nothing else I have tried, and it only runs it for like ten minutes at a time.

If you gently clean the laser reader with a cotton swab on the console that boots, maybe it crashes when trying to read the cd?

Celine

And define obscure? Most of the good stuff isn't really. Sakura Wars, Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Dragon Force II, Tokimeki Memorial. They'd top my list.
Steamgear Mash looks decent to good.
Keio too.

As for obscure games, perhaps Mizubaku Daikouken (Liquid Kids), but you might have that one on PC-Engine already.
Whoops, forgot Mizubaku was ported to Saturn too.

EDIT:
But it seems crazy expensive.

Celine

Another question:
How has Pandemonium aged on the gameplay department?
Seems quite cheap...

Of course I would like to get Keio and Astal but they are a bit more pricier so I would keep them for the next order.

meppi

Whoops, forgot Mizubaku was ported to Saturn too.

EDIT:
But it seems crazy expensive.

Wow! €230? I had no idea.
I bought most of my Saturn games 10-15 years ago.
Some of the games that I still recall being considered rare or expensive at the time that I come across on ebay from time to time go for €20-30.
But on the other hand, some other games have shot up like crazy. Especially Super Famicom stuff it seems.
Paid €77 for my copy in 2002. Was one of the big surprises the Saturn had as I knew extremely little about it before I got it. Love the game.

Another question:
How has Pandemonium aged on the gameplay department?
Seems quite cheap...

Of course I would like to get Keio and Astal but they are a bit more pricier so I would keep them for the next order.

Pandemonium is fun, but if you can play imports get Magical Hoppers instead.

Celine

Pandemonium is fun, but if you can play imports get Magical Hoppers instead.
Yeah that one, I said Pandemonium because I thought it was more known under the original name.

Well placed the order for my first batch of Saturn games:
Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Street Fighter Zero 2, Nights into the dreams, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Magical Hoppers.

oneida

Yeah that one, I said Pandemonium because I thought it was more known under the original name.

Well placed the order for my first batch of Saturn games:
Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, Street Fighter Zero 2, Nights into the dreams, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Magical Hoppers.
Good shit. Don't miss out on Fighters Megamix - which is, on a surface level satisfyingly stupid, beneath the skin underwhelming, and historically fascinating. Really great little game that was forward-looking in some surprising ways.

Celine

What's the difference between the two?
Reskinned version for the japanese market with a anime intro.
Better character design maybe?
It's also quite cheap.

Good shit. Don't miss out on Fighters Megamix - which is, on a surface level satisfyingly stupid, beneath the skin underwhelming, and historically fascinating. Really great little game that was forward-looking in some surprising ways.
Yeah, I more interested in VF2 but as far as Saturn 3D fighting games Megamix would probably be the next.
My next purchase will probably be Shinobi X or Daytona CE though.

Is Layer Section 1 any good? It's quite cheap compared the rest of the Saturn shooter library.

Yes Boss!

Anybody have any experience with Nazomakaimura?

Kinda intrigued by it and seems cheap enough.

null_zpse98909c3.jpg

Anybody have any experience with Nazomakaimura?

Kinda intrigued by it and seems cheap enough.

null_zpse98909c3.jpg

It's based on the Dynamix-made Rube Goldberg sims for PC called The Incredible Machine. I have the 3DO port of one of the TIM games, and it was fun. I am actually considering buying this for some Halloween GNG-themed puzzle gaming.

hlhbk

I was very lucky and ended up buying the entire Panzer Dragoon series (including Orta) in mint condition for $95 off Ebay 3 years ago.

Mzo

It's based on the Dynamix-made Rube Goldberg sims for PC called The Incredible Machine. I have the 3DO port of one of the TIM games, and it was fun. I am actually considering buying this for some Halloween GNG-themed puzzle gaming.
Whoa, that sounds pretty good actually. Didn't even know this existed.

oneida

Yeah, I more interested in VF2 but as far as Saturn 3D fighting games Megamix would probably be the next.
My next purchase will probably be Shinobi X or Daytona CE though.

Is Layer Section 1 any good? It's quite cheap compared the rest of the Saturn shooter library.

First off, Layer Section is MUCH better than LS2 and is one of the best shmups on the Saturn.

Secondly, do hit Megamix after VF2. An interesting tidbit is the VF cast actually resemble their VF3 iterations more than their VF2 iterations, with VF3 movelists and even the Evade button.

You might also want to look into the Japanese version of Last Bronx, a weapons based fighter that allows you to guard cancel every move in the game which makes for some fun (if rudimentary) yomi :D
The JP version of Last Bronx has a second disc which features a full training mode and also tutorials for every character.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I'd be pretty curious. The youtubes make it a bit clunky looking but the little characters (and packaging and spine are all so adorable). Also, wondering if perhaps the PS1 version differs in any way.

Wasn't really a fan of this. Actually it's one of the few Saturn games that I sold a couple of years ago that I didn't like.

:-(

You mean, you didn't play the PC games? Oh man, you need to rectify that. The two Contraptions games alone make the entire package worth it.

That said, the Ghosts & Goblins game is a little different, since IIRC every puzzle involves getting Arthur to a specific spot, while the original Incredible Machine is significantly more varied in objectives. I haven't played this G&G spinoff, admittedly... Still, even with the more limited focus, if it's anywhere near as puzzling and goofy as the original games were, it's probably worth a look. Only issue might be the language barrier.

Bar81

Wasn't really a fan of this. Actually it's one of the few Saturn games that I sold a couple of years ago that I didn't like.

Concur. Nice concept, very weak execution. Just check out some youtube vids and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Mikhal

I have a Japanese console (Hitachi Saturn). But I plan on hooking my consoles up to a PVM using Euro SCART cables -> SCART Switch -> SCART to BNC cable -> PVM.

I know the SNES had different pinouts depending on the region, but I can't remember if it's the same for the Saturn.

Bar81

I have a Japanese console (Hitachi Saturn). But I plan on hooking my consoles up to a PVM using Euro SCART cables -> SCART Switch -> SCART to BNC cable -> PVM.

I know the SNES had different pinouts depending on the region, but I can't remember if it's the same for the Saturn.

Given that listing that I linked to above, it seems that the Euro and NTSC models do appear to have different pinouts.

Celine

I don't think I own a single Saturn shmup. Always been an RPG beast for me. Maybe because they're so expensive. All the imports I own are RPGs: Sakura Wars 1 & 2, Dragon Force II, Soul Hackers, Devil Summoner 1, etc.
No Tengai Makyou IV?
That game looks amazing.
I wish I could understand japanese...

Haha I was just self-pitying actually. Love me some souky! Someone buy me Batsugun for x-mas~

Hm, I wonder if I have anything worth trading. Haven't touched Xenoblade in a while.

Oh, I thought you were pitying cj_iwakura for his lack of shmups, which is what I was piling in on.

Beckx

What do you mean? do japanese words not end in consonants?

They can end in the Japanese syllable for "n" but that's it.

Japanese words are constructed from syllables which (excluding "n") are best represented in english by a consonant and a vowel - so never "y", but only yu, ya, yo, yi, ye. Or in this case, kyu.

Top Bottom