• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I've only played the first Wipeout on the Saturn and HD.

I was really confused as to why HD didn't seem to play anything like the first Wipeout did.

I loved the first wipeout and wipeout XL and also only played them on the Saturn. I did play a couple more versions of the game, though (my last being on the PSP), and noticed the series did change a lot between games (and not really for the better). I really liked Psygnosis game back in the day...I always thought it was interesting that they made games for Saturn when they were a Sony-owned company.

Wipeout was one of the first games that I'd put in my CD player to listen to its soundtrack. I did this for a lot of other games on the Saturn (Need For Speed was another favorite), which I thought was really cool when I first tried it.

Retro gaming in general is skyrocketing in prices. Just look at SNES games!

Although Genesis games are still fairly reasonably priced, and Saturn games always were a bit more expensive for some reason.

This is a cyclic thing, When one hardware generation ends and the next is starting to take off the interest in retro gaming goes up as do the prices. The prices will drop back as the catalog for the next gen machines grows. Some titles will always be expensive but many will become more reasonable.

A friend of mine noticed this pattern between ps1 and ps2 generations and it's been the same ever since. For example, Nintendo introduce a new console and interest in their old machines rises.

With Saturn games particularly in the US there just was not high enough quantity of games manufactured so the prices are higher. I get the impression is was harder to find Saturn games even when they were new. In Europe it's a little better but certain titles still demand a high price.

Defunkled

Dragon Force is kicking my ass. I perused the manual a bit but I'm going to have to look up some FAQ's.

Any tips for a complete Dragon Force newbie?

Defunkled

I don't often say this, but YES.

His campaign SUCKS. Worst troops, no character.
(Okay, Teiris' are the worst, but she has a good plot and you can upgrade her easily.)

If you're too deep though, I can give you advice.

I'm only a few hours in so I don't mind starting over. Which kingdom would you suggest starting with?

cj_iwakura

I'm only a few hours in so I don't mind starting over. Which kingdom would you suggest starting with?

If you want a challenge? Gongos, Leon.

If you want to get punished? Teiris, Wein.

If you want to steamroll the game? Mikhal, Junon.

Every plot is good, but the other five are really great. The last two unlockables are just plain OP.

I would suggest Mikhal or Junon.

Defunkled

If you want a challenge? Gongos, Leon.

If you want to get punished? Teiris, Wein.

If you want to steamroll the game? Mikhal, Junon.

Every plot is good, but the other five are really great. The last two unlockables are just plain OP.

I would suggest Mikhal or Junon.

Thanks for the tips! Probably gonna go with Mikhal.

cj_iwakura

Fun choice, samurai can take almost everything the game throws at you. Just be careful against Harpies. And don't attack the country to the north, they're much stronger than they look. Defend if necessary, but don't go offensive against them. Go after Tradnor(red) or Bozack(Green) first.

And in many degrees the PS2 earned that glory.
but I bought Otogi cib for $5 and it feels all kinds of good.

Oh, no doubt. PS2 is a dream machine. I don't own one and I don't collect one just because I don't want to start down that massive, massive road. Maybe that's wrong of me.

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL Dragon Force Tip 1: When an army attacks your castle and you beat them, they run away. If you pause the game ASAP after the battle is over and you're back to the overworld map, you can dispatch an army from your castle and catch them. When you beat their weakened forces, you'll capture their generals and they won't be able to retreat (usually).

(This game was a miserable grind until I found this out.)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There is still no accounting for your bad taste, cj. :p Mikhal's campaign is the least interesting of the 8. At least it's fairly easy and straightforward and suitable for a first-timer, though.

Oh, no doubt. PS2 is a dream machine. I don't own one and I don't collect one just because I don't want to start down that massive, massive road. Maybe that's wrong of me.
I'm more or less the same. I find it rewarding to explore a console's library as much as possible, and that's a lot harder to do on the "mainstream" machines because there's just so much more ground to cover.

Beckx

One day soon I need to get a JP PS2 or a region free one. That library of JP shmups and fighting games.

But for now I have Pander Dragoon again, and all is right with the world.

What do people do when they have unwanted cheap imports that aren't really in condition to sell? The case to Langrisser IV mysteriously broke (the inner plastic circle that holds the disc in place), and now I have an otherwise "decent" game that I can't really sell to importers given high standards, blah blah blah.

Obviously I can't just throw games away, but they're too embarrassing for me to play.

televator

^^ It just so happens that I run a charity that gives a new home to many unwanted games. Anyone can feel free to unload unwanted Saturn Games at my home address. :p

KefkaTiMe

Neo Member
Dragon Force is kicking my ass. I perused the manual a bit but I'm going to have to look up some FAQ's.

Any tips for a complete Dragon Force newbie?

Crystal Castle(Northern Wein/Southern Teiris) - Every turn search at that castle for a chance to get a Dragon Token. Dragons beat everything in the game except samurai.

When fighting close battles, just stay on defense and force the enemy to come to too(if not a stalemate) Units on defense fighting units of the same type will kill 2/3 to 1.

Honestly I thought Weins storyline was fine - The weakest main char is Teiris no doubt, but even with dragons shes is unstoppable.

Crystal Castle(Northern Wein/Southern Teiris) - Every turn search at that castle for a chance to get a Dragon Token. Dragons beat everything in the game except samurai.

When fighting close battles, just stay on defense and force the enemy to come to too(if not a stalemate) Units on defense fighting units of the same type will kill 2/3 to 1.

Honestly I thought Weins storyline was fine - The weakest main char is Teiris no doubt, but even with dragons shes is unstoppable.
Ah, right, CJ mentioned finding one of those tokens when I asked for help some months ago. If that's where they are, then that's where I'll focus all my efforts on, since Wein's cavalry isn't enough to take on that vampire's (Vlad?) zombie army.

Y'know, when I stop being enamored with Xenoblade.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I never actually switch troop types for any of the officers whenever I play Dragon Force anymore. Once you know how to exploit the AI it just makes it too easy.

I beat Wein's story once without handing out a single award to anybody.

Recall

Watched the Game Sack retrospective on YouTube and its totally made me want to get a Saturn again.

I had two many years ago but they ended up being destroyed in a move, even lost the games and pads too. I don't even want the biggest most expensive of titles just a nice round collection of like 15 games and cover a range of genres. Always wanted the Saturn version of Xmen vs Street Fighter for example.

cj_iwakura

I never actually switch troop types for any of the officers whenever I play Dragon Force anymore. Once you know how to exploit the AI it just makes it too easy.

I beat Wein's story once without handing out a single award to anybody.

My proudest achievement is beating Tradnor's scenario without recruiting or using anyone outside of his core generals(which are admittedly pretty broken) or changing anyone's troops.

I'll try with with Teiris one day. That's nightmare mode.

Yes Boss!

For those that have bought Panzer Dragoon Saga in the last few years, how much did you end up paying for it?

Looked it up. $176 on eBay back in September 2009. I actually paid a little more than it was going for at the time (I think about $30 more) because the listing was very detailed, game was in excellent condition, and it came from a collection.

Seik

Banned
For those that have bought Panzer Dragoon Saga in the last few years, how much did you end up paying for it?

I think the auction ended up around 205$+20$ for shipping on Ebay. It was in 2011 iirc.

Though everything is pretty much mint except the first disc a have a very few fine scratches.

I just took a look at all the BIN prices on Ebay, dayum. Feels good to have obtained it at this price.

And as you can see from those posts, PDS has (essentially) been rising in price every year since it went out of print and stores closed out their Saturn stock. The question is, where will it plateau?

cj_iwakura

And as you can see from those posts, PDS has (essentially) been rising in price every year since it went out of print and stores closed out their Saturn stock.

I wonder if we'll ever see it literally disappear, where every copy is in the possession of someone who won't part with it.

cj_iwakura

I don't own PDS, but I consider Magic Knight Rayearth to be far more valuable, since it's not nearly as hot a commodity but it was the last Saturn game ever released here.

Miguel81

Some of the effects in Panzer Dragoon II Zwei look incredible--like the water stage. Is that what the VDP2 chip does? It looks like Mode 7 on steroids.

Top Bottom