• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Defunkled

$250 last September.

I paid $160-180 back in December of 2008, although that's not really "recently".

Looked it up. $176 on eBay back in September 2009.

I think the auction ended up around 205$+20$ for shipping on Ebay. It was in 2011 iirc.

$310 about a month ago.

Holy hell. Thanks for the input.

I've wanted to play it for so long but have never pulled the trigger. Is it really worth the $300-350 price tag?

Tain

I bought PDS for $60 in 1999 or so and sold it in like 2009 (stupidly) for... I don't even remember, lol. It was in the 150-200 range. I regret selling it and a couple other big Saturn games.

It's great as far as JRPGs go, but it's always hard to suggest stuff based on price.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
For those that have bought Panzer Dragoon Saga in the last few years, how much did you end up paying for it?
$275 here like a month ago. I can't believe I dropped that much coin on one game but it was in good condition and all of the money I spent was money returned to me I thought I'd never see again.

Now to start on the expensive Japanese games I want! :(

Holy hell. Thanks for the input.

Are you surprised?

I've wanted to play it for so long but have never pulled the trigger. Is it really worth the $300-350 price tag?

This is impossible to answer. Different for everyone. If you just want to play the game, our posts should make it clear you can buy it, beat it, and resell it for at least what you paid for it.

I'll just note that it's over in 12 hours. It's an amazing game, but it's short to a fault. On the other hand, it doesn't outstay its welcome, that way.

Quexex

Banned
Some of the effects in Panzer Dragoon II Zwei look incredible--like the water stage. Is that what the VDP2 chip does? It looks like Mode 7 on steroids.

It very much is mode 7 on steroids. We used it to great effect in Street Racer on the Saturn which may no have been the greatest game ever but I was very proud of the cool effects we achieved with the mode 7. The coder I worked with at the time managed to interrupt the drawing to allow 3 or 4 layers iirc, so we had the road for the track itself, then the clouds in the sky as well as cloud shadows on the floor. My memory is a bit hazy on this it was my first job in the industry and it was a very long time ago. I think we had fog on Franks stage as well as water with reflections of the clouds on Surfs stage.

RiZ III

It very much is mode 7 on steroids. We used it to great effect in Street Racer on the Saturn which may no have been the greatest game ever but I was very proud of the cool effects we achieved with the mode 7. The coder I worked with at the time managed to interrupt the drawing to allow 3 or 4 layers iirc, so we had the road for the track itself, then the clouds in the sky as well as cloud shadows on the floor. My memory is a bit hazy on this it was my first job in the industry and it was a very long time ago. I think we had fog on Franks stage as well as water with reflections of the clouds on Surfs stage.

Can't believe you actually got to develop on the Saturn. I wish Sega still had consoles. By the time I joined the industry Sega was already out T_T The closest I can get to developing on the Saturn now is working on mods like translation projects and such lol

huxley00

I was working at Toys R Us as a teen when PDS came out. The day of release, they dropped it down to 20 bucks (as well as Shining Force 3). I went to buy all the copies when some poor young gent came in the store. He was desperately looking for the game and heard that we had copies. I gave him one as I couldn't bear to have a fellow RPGers heart broken. Sold them all some years ago, the price has always been high...even at 300+ now that isnt much more than they were going for 10+ years ago.

pikablu

I was working at Toys R Us as a teen when PDS came out. The day of release, they dropped it down to 20 bucks (as well as Shining Force 3). I went to buy all the copies when some poor young gent came in the store. He was desperately looking for the game and heard that we had copies. I gave him one as I couldn't bear to have a fellow RPGers heart broken. Sold them all some years ago, the price has always been high...even at 300+ now that isnt much more than they were going for 10+ years ago.

Oh man If only I had a Saturn at the time.

Quexex

Banned
Can't believe you actually got to develop on the Saturn. I wish Sega still had consoles. By the time I joined the industry Sega was already out T_T The closest I can get to developing on the Saturn now is working on mods like translation projects and such lol

I was a massive Sega fan boy as well so I was pretty made up about getting to work on the Saturn and did everything I could to make the Saturn version much better than the PS1 version ;)

The video below shows the variety of effects we had with the mode 7, mostly involving interrupting the cloud layer and allowing it to appear as either shadows on the road, reflections or fog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSqKubHcQ4k

Looks bloody rough these days though. I think I had a stupid limit on the 3D objects like 8 verts per object so I had to build things in chunks and stick them together and texture them in the tool.

Quexex

Banned

Shame, there are only 6000 copies of the first print of the US version of PDS you should have kept one at least. It's rarer than the PAL version but the PAL version is much more collectable due to the slip case and awesome art.

huxley00

Shame, there are only 6000 copies of the first print of the US version of PDS you should have kept one at least. It's rarer than the PAL version but the PAL version is much more collectable due to the slip case and awesome art.

I really thought about it...but at 18, having 4 copies of a game worth 1000 dollars is too tempting to resist. When you're in college and broke, a 1000 dollars is basically a kings ransom haha. I guess the only thing I ever regret selling was a collection of Lunar 1 and Lunar 2 for Sega CD, copies of each of the different artwork CDs. I'm just glad I got to play PDS and Shining Force 3 when they came out, that was reward enough for me I think. Some other soul is probably still enjoying those copies I sold today (I hope!)

RiZ III

I was a massive Sega fan boy as well so I was pretty made up about getting to work on the Saturn and did everything I could to make the Saturn version much better than the PS1 version ;)

The video below shows the variety of effects we had with the mode 7, mostly involving interrupting the cloud layer and allowing it to appear as either shadows on the road, reflections or fog.

Looks bloody rough these days though. I think I had a stupid limit on the 3D objects like 8 verts per object so I had to build things in chunks and stick them together and texture them in the tool.

Damn that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. So was it really as bad to develop on as the internet says? From my experience, most machines are kind of a pain to develop on so was it really that much worse?

Yes Boss!

It is worth it if you are a collector. Most collectors take a holistic approach. Yeah, certain games are expensive, others are relatively cheap. Add all the hardware costs together, then add in the games then do a division for a price per title. Invariably price-per-title comes out pretty reasonable. No use dwelling on the cost of the few expensive games. But those do help fill out and round out a collection.

I can tell you my little Saturn collection is about 50 titles strong. There are some heavyweights in there (things like PDS, Hyper Duel, Psychic Assassin) but I've only spent about $3200 over the years...including a new Import Saturn, the big Twin Stick, a couple of other smaller sticks. But, average price per game, with all the hardware included, works out to only a little over $60 a piece.

piggychan

I bought PDS at the European launch, after experiencing the first disk through the Official UK Saturn mag. An amazing time.

Wow I used to have that mag too and I remember buying a copy of the game brand new in Virgin store. Back then when Richard Leadbetter lead the charge on the Official Sega Saturn mag.

Quexex

Banned
Damn that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. So was it really as bad to develop on as the internet says? From my experience, most machines are kind of a pain to develop on so was it really that much worse?

Yes, the Saturn was 'special' it was really quite powerful it's dual CPUs could absolutely destroy the PS1 if you invested the effort. However as is well documented, it couldn't draw polys in the traditional sense it drew distorted sprites as quads (no triangles at all, well you could do 4 point tris but it looked wierd). The drawing chip in the Saturn was not upgraded when they added the extra processor so it could basically calculate nearly twice as much as it could draw. Also the chip that did transparencies was broken! It was basically a massive rush job to beat sony to market, botched hardware, broken chips poor documentation. I'm surprised and amazed some devs got so much out of the hardware. Oh another quirk we exploited was that it drew textures (bent sprites) in one rotation much faster than another, so we used the CPU grunt to pre rotate the textures to give us more fill rate!

huxley00

Well, the long and short of it is that the Saturn could make great looking 2d games, the Playstation was better at 3d. Personally, I think 3d started too early and looked like crap, should have waited another generation...in the mean time, we would have had fantastic looking 2d games. I think that is partially what Sega was banking on. Instead, we got Bubsy 3d.

Miguel81

Well, the long and short of it is that the Saturn could make great looking 2d games, the Playstation was better at 3d. Personally, I think 3d started too early and looked like crap, should have waited another generation...in the mean time, we would have had fantastic looking 2d games. I think that is partially what Sega was banking on. Instead, we got Bubsy 3d.

The most fondly remembered game of that generation is Castlevania SOTN. Those are the types of games they should have concentrated on. Instead, most of that gen is archaic on the level of the Atari 2600.

VARIA

I'm still toying with the notion of buying the JP version of PD Saga and using a guide.

PDS actually runs quite well in an SSF emulator with even a crappy PC ( I've run it on a 2007 dell without a proper graphics card with no issues).

So you can buy the Japanese version and (legally?) play the American version on your PC.

Yakumo

Banned
Some of the effects in Panzer Dragoon II Zwei look incredible--like the water stage. Is that what the VDP2 chip does? It looks like Mode 7 on steroids.
It does indeed look special. I remember seeing the big fish go transparent under the water. That was around the time when all the PlayStation fan boys just loved to say "Saturn can't do transparency”. This clearly showed that it could along with many other games. But yeah, even now with the fantastic water seen in GTA5, the water in Panzer Dragoon Zwei while looking nothing like real water still manages to look fantastic even now.

Miguel81

speaking of SOTN, that crap Saturn port hurts my soul

If it was built on the Saturn from the ground up, it would have been glorious.

It does indeed look special. I remember seeing the big fish go transparent under the water. That was around the time when all the PlayStation fan boys just loved to say "Saturn can't do transparency”. This clearly showed that it could along with many other games. But yeah, even now with the fantastic water seen in GTA5, the water in Panzer Dragoon Zwei while looking nothing like real water still manages to look fantastic even now.

And I first played through it 2 years ago. Wished the system had been successful because it had a lot of cool effects that the PSone couldn't do.

Yakumo

Banned
I always loved he look of Saturn Street Racer. To be fair it wasn't a very good game (well, on the SNES is was good) but it sure did impress. You are right about the reflections by the way.

Teknoman

Would the PAL version of PDS perform any differently than the NA version on an NA Saturn with a pro action replay?

Or is it cheaper for that matter? Probably not.

Beckx

PDS actually runs quite well in an SSF emulator with even a crappy PC ( I've run it on a 2007 dell without a proper graphics card with no issues).

So you can buy the Japanese version and (legally?) play the American version on your PC.

I have the action replay cart for my Saturn, so I should be good to run the import, right?

Defunkled

Anyone have any cool stories of buying Saturn games on Craigslist? Like finding a rare game for cheap?

There's barely any Saturn stuff on Craigslist up here in Cleveland.

VARIA

I have the action replay cart for my Saturn, so I should be good to run the import, right?

It definitely should. I use Action Replay to play the JP versions of X-Men vs Street Fighter & Castlevania: SOTN. Looked up the eBay prices for the JP version of PDS and wow, what a difference to the American version. Now I feel tempted to get the game.

It definitely should. I use Action Replay to play the JP versions of X-Men vs Street Fighter & Castlevania: SOTN. Looked up the eBay prices for the JP version of PDS and wow, what a difference to the American version. Now I feel tempted to get the game.

it's like 1/10th the price or less

Celine

Won a japanese Saturn (hope this won't be broken as the 3DO I got a few weeks ago).

Is Nights playable with the normal pad?
Some good but obscure japanese games?

cj_iwakura

Won a japanese Saturn (hope this won't be broken as the 3DO I got a few weeks ago).

Yes, I don't own a 3D pad and I can beat NiGHTS just fine.

And define obscure? Most of the good stuff isn't really. Sakura Wars, Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Dragon Force II, Tokimeki Memorial. They'd top my list.

Oh great, I'll have to get around to playing them!

I can't remember, this happened over 10 years ago when I played it. I just remember a fight on the bridge, and 1 character falling off the bridge and being swept away by the current. I assume his story is told in part 2 or 3.

Also - what was the point of that egg character?

meppi

It's playable, but you'll be missing out on some of the better stuff.
The analogue controller for the Saturn is like none that have come after, and to be honest, I find it only usable for NiGHTS. Didn't like the feel with other games that supported it.
But for NiGHTS, it's absolutely perfect. Extremely light and smooth which helps so much in conveying the sense of flight and drift.

So I'd highly recommend picking up a 3D pad to play it with. After getting used to it for a while, I doubt you'll be disappointed or want to play the game with digital controls ever again.

As for obscure games, perhaps Mizubaku Daikouken (Liquid Kids), but you might have that one on PC-Engine already.
If you like pinball games, I love Digital Pinball: Necronomicon.
Baku Baku Animal gets forgotten by most, which is a shame.
Twinkle Star Sprites is brilliant.
If you like Columns, you can't go wrong with Columns Arcade Collection.

For those that have bought Panzer Dragoon Saga in the last few years, how much did you end up paying for it?

$60 3 years ago,

I was working at gamestop, some guy comes in and is like "I bet you cant guess what rare games I got in my bag?" I'm like I can't, He pulls out a complete PDS. I'm like "OK how much do you want."
Hes like i want to sell it but i dont want to deal with ebay, so i'm looking for offers, the retro store down the hall wasn't sure what to offer." I tell him what its worth($150+) and tell him the most I could offer for it was $50.
He thinks about it for a bit and really wants to buy a 360. After a bit he says ok deal, tell my manager i'll be right back.
We go to the Atm, In my mind i'm like he's gonna ask for more. so I take out $60 and say this is the most I gan give. With the promise that I would keep it and not resell it. We shake on it, and I still have it.

Top Bottom