• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mercutio

I have a Saturn, and is one of the consoles I have enjoyed most. From Guardian Heroes to Panzer Dragoon Saga, including all the shoot em ups and 1 vs 1 that make so famous the console in this niche time ago.

But, could be for that reason, I have it in a box and I never turn it on now. I prefer to have it in my registers that refresh it now. Something that not always happens to me (I love to turn on my game gear / Master System).

What do you mean? What's the reason you're not turning it on?

If I remember right it was a port from a super famicom version.
Was it published through ESP?

What I know is that Neverland had another game planned for Saturn that never came out.

It's a port, but there seems to have been a fairly significant overhaul. Yes, it's through ESP.

Did they? Well the Chaos Seed port was released in 1998. I wonder how many plans for Saturn development were crushed by the Dreamcast.

Celine

Did they? Well the Chaos Seed port was released in 1998. I wonder how many plans for Saturn development were crushed by the Dreamcast.
Alot, sega announced DC in 1997 and that was the last year software sales were still strong (I m talking about Japan).
1998 got many games but only the strong franchise got good sales (Sakura Taisen, Robot Wars) the rest was released quickly or got canned.
I believe the developers that were part of ESP were especially screwed since all their games were initially exclusive for Saturn and came out all in 1998 or near it.
That the future was the flopping DC didn t helped.

televator

This might sound weird coming from someone who doesn't believe in the supernatural, but I'm fairly convinced that I'm cursed.

My Saturn SCART cable is somewhere in the ether of USPS sorting and a week late in arriving to my address.

I missed my chance at getting one from the ebay seller, and she's been out of them for months. Out of desperation I try to order one from a UK seller that someone here told me would work, but there was a problem with his method of exchange rates that made it difficult for me to figure out. So I asked for my money back which didn't seem to go down well with him. Then someone posts up the Sega Style cable which felt like a god send and I immediately ordered one. Now here I am, weeks later and I still don't have a got damn cable.

Sorry, I just need to vent right now. WTF does a man gotta do for US SCART cable?
zhIxf.gif

Ramune

Oh geez! Sorry to hear that Telva. :(
Does Sega Style at least provide tracking? I know retro console accessories at least did.

I missed my chance at getting one from the ebay seller, and she's been out of them for months.
Oh, crap, she put them up and they sold out without me knowing? Damn.

Well, just put in a saved search earlier today for those, so I can wait. S-Video on the Saturn isn't awful.

televator

Oh geez! Sorry to hear that Telva. :(
Does Sega Style at least provide tracking? I know retro console accessories at least did.

They do, and I've emailed them about the snag, but they haven't replied. I'm guessing 'cause of the weekend.

It's been stuck in some place called "Jamaica, New York" for days. If nothing changes next week, I'm gonna have to ramp things up a bit.

Mercutio

What is a good price for a Saturn with an AV cord and controller?

Trying to budget out what I plan to buy.

Saturn stuff is really increasing in price, but I think you should be able to get a good model 2 for around $50 to $60. If you have any intent of modifying your system later, the model 2 is the way to go; look for circular buttons and a lack of a "reset" button.

They do, and I've emailed them about the snag, but they haven't replied. I'm guessing 'cause of the weekend.

It's been stuck in some place called "Jamaica, New York" for days. If nothing changes next week, I'm gonna have to ramp things up a bit.

That's a major hub outside of Queens / Brooklyn on Long Island. If something flew in through JFK, it is probably being sorted or in customs there if international.

Saturn stuff is really increasing in price, but I think you should be able to get a good model 2 for around $50 to $60. If you have any intent of modifying your system later, the model 2 is the way to go; look for circular buttons and a lack of a "reset" button.

That's a major hub outside of Queens / Brooklyn on Long Island. If something flew in through JFK, it is probably being sorted or in customs there if international.

Thanks, local store has one for 60 and then ebay as well.

I dont plan to mod my system but I may in the future, thanks for the info.

I'm pretty sure all Model 2 Saturns have Reset buttons on the right.

Circular buttons is right, though.

Anth0ny

Because the Sega CDX a couple of months ago and PS4 this week wasn't enough... I just picked up a Saturn. A white, Japanese Saturn, complete with box!

czMj6m4.jpg

svE7CcP.jpg

Managed to get it on ebay for a little over $100 with shipping, which seemed reasonable considering the thing looks to be in MINT condition. A lot of white Saturns I've been looking at have yellowed over the years, but this thing is white as snow, and comes with a box. Awesome.

Sega Saturn has been on my wish list since I was a kid reading about it in EGM, and I can't wait to finally jump into it's library. I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1. I'm going to start with two safe choices first: Nights into Dreams and Sonic Jam. I've noticed the Japanese versions are FAR less expensive than the American versions. Are they any differences between the two versions, or is it just text? I figure Japanese text won't get in the way of a Sonic game compilation, but what about Nights? I've never played Nights in my life. Should I just go for the cheaper, Japanese versions, or pony up the cash and grab the American versions?

2. Is Panzer Dragoon Saga the most expensive game never to get a re-release? I mean FUCK. It's one of the games I've always wanted to play on the Saturn, but I can't justify dropping $300+ on it. Is there any reason it hasn't be re-released for XBLA, or even on a compilation disc of some sort? Even something like Nintendo World Championships has been put out there as a reproduction cart... from what I can tell, I ain't playing this game unless I drop 3 bills on it. Crazy =/

Because the Sega CDX a couple of months ago and PS4 this week wasn't enough... I just picked up a Saturn. A white, Japanese Saturn, complete with box!

2. Is Panzer Dragoon Saga the most expensive game never to get a re-release? I mean FUCK. It's one of the games I've always wanted to play on the Saturn, but I can't justify dropping $300+ on it. Is there any reason it hasn't be re-released for XBLA, or even on a compilation disc of some sort? Even something like Nintendo World Championships has been put out there as a reproduction cart... from what I can tell, I ain't playing this game unless I drop 3 bills on it. Crazy =/

The source code is lost, so they can't do any re-release unless it's a complete remake.

NiGHTS is pretty much entirely dialog-free. The only thing you'll have issues with is if you kinda suck at the game and it gives you pointers on how to play after the Game Over screens - a common sight for first-time players. Those pointers are all text, so that's very likely to be all "日本語" instead of English.

Sonic Jam has a damn lot of text in the museum, so that'll be totally lost to you. That's a whopping one building in the Sonic World segment, though, and doesn't impact the actual games, either.

televator

It Shipped from Pennsylvania, so it went back a bit further... Maybe they thought it was an atomic bomb coupling device? lol

Mercutio

Love the white Saturn. Such a gorgeous system.

Panzer Dragoon Saga has REALLY interesting gameplay; the battle system is to this day more modern and innovative than nearly all other RPGs. But the graphics have aged terribly, and the cinematics (once the most impressive part of the game) feel very amateur when viewed with modern eyes.

I STRONGLY suggest having your system modified to play CDRs. The Saturn second hand market isn't quite at Neo Geo levels of nonsense, but it's moving there. If you have your system region locks over-written by one modification and allow CDRs to play with another, you'll never have to make the choice Japanese cheaper copies over USA ones that you actually want to play. Bomberman is another example of a game like this, as is Mega Man 8. I'd never ordinarily suggest something like this for any other console, but the Saturn's a special case. You just can't get some of the absolute treasured gems without doing a little modification.

Mercutio

Even those of us with grey Model 2 Victor Saturns have wishes beyond our current lot.

Blue%20Skeleton%20Saturn%20in%20box.jpg

I sure wish I could get one of these guys. So awesome. I do have one of the controllers... the skeleton plastic is really awesome and robust.

Replacement shells are popular with old DMG Game Boys thanks to the chiptune scene.

XCM did replacement cases for all gen 6 systems and 7 systems I believe.

linkboy

Replacement shells are popular with old DMG Game Boys thanks to the chiptune scene.

XCM did replacement cases for all gen 6 systems and 7 systems I believe.

Yes, they did.

My Wii was a launch model and I (and my local Play N Trade owner) did a case mod on it to put it in a black case (this was before the black model came out).

Was a major pain in the ass, that little console has a shit load of screws.

Mercutio

I had a replacement shell on my Dreamcast years ago. There's a company that made VERY good shells in pretty much any smoky color.

New-In-Box-TRANSLUCENT-Clear-BLUE-Shell-Case-for-SEGA-DREAMCAST.jpg

I had a smoked grey one, and I remember thinking that the orange light inside made the whole thing look like an awesome bonfire.

televator

That would be gross.

Most collectors and fans like original casings. I think you would be in the minority.

Gross? Compared to piss yellow consoles, deeps scratches, and cracked cases, I think not. and other people already posted that there used to be very good ones out there. I think you'd be surprised how many people would go for them now, that it's actually pretty hard to find minty consoles.

Yes Boss!

Gross? Compared to piss yellow consoles, deeps scratches, and cracked cases, I think not. and other people already posted that there used to be very good ones out there. I think you'd be surprised how many people would go for them now, that it's actually pretty hard to find minty consoles.

Yeah, very gross. Turn-off. I would not go anywhere near that blue thingy above.

I'd rather restore or find a better condition original than getting a repro or knockoff. I dunno, perhaps I'm in the minority. I even find third-party controllers gross. Icky.

I even find the below disgusting...and it is officially licensed (a GBA I saved from the trash...new and never used, was my sisters...and an eyesore):

null_zps2c91428e.jpg

Mercutio

Well, there was no accounting for my teenage tastes. I'm pretty sure I wore corduroy pants exclusively in that era of my life. What a rebel I was.

These days I'm not big on console mods, and I am a little bummed that my V Saturn had its original colorful buttons swapped out for the more demure black by the original modder. Oh well, the thing's magic so I can't complain too much.

televator

I just don't have an absolutist outlook on this stuff. It comes from my time as a car enthusiast. You'd have people turning their noses up at after market body mods no matter if they were designed by close members of the OEM circles and were wind tunnel tested to be better than the stock equipment. Granted there was a lot of shit quality after market stuff out there that I wouldn't go near with a 100 foot poll, but if you had a discerning eye you could tell what was worth the money.

Meanwhile, it would be obvious that not even the OEMs put half as much thought into their manufacturing quality as some of the best after market stuff. Sure OEM almost always had the upper hand in fit, but some after market parts were spot on.

I mean look at Nintendo's yellowing and brittling issue... it's entirely possible that someone else can do better in that regard.

Now, I understand that 100% authenticity is an important thing to some (again, car world) even if it means keeping the flaws, but I'd rather not and it's not like having an option would ruin everyone's day.

Yes Boss!

Well, it is not an absolute thing for me either. I've got no issues with others doing it. Just not for me. I even find it kinda nasty when folks mod their arcade sticks with printed art labels, plexis and stuff like that. There is that one company that does all those redone GBAs (at incredible quality) and they just are unappealing to me. Sorry, don't mean to derail (been awake for 35 hours so maybe delirious!)

Mercutio

What's interesting these days is that home-brew and indie projects can attain a level of quality comparable to systems of yore.

I've got a Neo Geo Omega, and for all intents and purposes it looks and feels like a home system. Of course, it's not quite as nice as an AES shell, but it certainly functions the part while still taking older style into consideration.

Omega_hero_zps50b9f7f5.jpg

Omega_rear_zpscb0d6c11.jpg

televator

Okay, just got an update on my cable.... I live in, and my verified paypal address is in Phoenix Arizona. The seller just informed me, and I verified this with the receipt that got sent to my spam folder (thanks gmail :/ ), that the package was shipped to Phoenix, Armed Forces Canada.... I - I don't even... how the fuck did that happen?

It's strange, I just ordered something yesterday on another online store using the same paypal method and the address on the receipt is just fine. Son of a bitch! I should have double checked the address. So I guess USPS will return address it?

Mercutio

Okay, just got an update on my cable.... I live in, and my verified paypal address is in Phoenix Arizona. The seller just informed me, and I verified this with the receipt that got sent to my spam folder (thanks gmail :/ ), that the package was shipped to Phoenix, Armed Forces Canada.... I - I don't even... how the fuck did that happen?

It's strange, I just ordered something yesterday on another online store using the same paypal method and the address on the receipt is just fine. Son of a bitch! I should have double checked the address. So I guess USPS will return address it?

Yeah, USPS should return it to the sender.

IrishNinja

man, i want that Omega...like you said, its the most AES looking one that i can get games at a reasonable price for.

^I've seen some professional-looking superguns too.

can we please get a supergun/JAMMA thread sometime? im dying to see those pro ones and what my options are, really wanna get into that scene next year after i pay some bills.

Bar81

man, i want that Omega...like you said, its the most AES looking one that i can get games at a reasonable price for.

While it's nice and all, it's trying a little too hard to be an AES. Take a look at some of the clean (and significantly cheaper) options offered by companies like jamma-nation-x.com:

weq-cmvs1.jpg

Bar81

that looks nothing like a neo geo though

post more options! there's gotta be more than just a white gamebrick

That's precisely the point, it's not an AES. The MVS has never looked like an AES - all it is is a PCB. If you want an AES, why buy a facsimile? You can always get an actual AES and an MVS to AES convertor for probably about the same or (if you shop around) even less than the Omega. Not to mention that that option allows you to purchase games on AES that are significantly cheaper than their MVS counterparts (Magician Lord, Nam 1975, etc.)

Bar81

There is always the Analogue Interactive one. I've been long meaning to get one (even have one of the black sticks already) but can never seem to earmark the $700 more to get it. With my luck he will stop producing them before I can grab one.

That one always freaks me out - I just don't see wood and gaming being two things that go together (at least not since the Atari 2600). If I got one of those, I would have to pick up one of these to go with it:

woodtv.jpg

Recieved my Backup Memory cart! Was in nice condition, but man the thing is huge compared to PS1's small cards! I'm kind of understanding the rumours that Saturn was maybe designed to be able to run games from carts as well as cd's.

Top Bottom