• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mercutio

My cable came in! Oh sweet gratification! It looks clean and solid. However, it's not as thick as the one from Retro gaming accessories. Which makes me think it might not be fully shielded? Well, can't wait to try it out now.

You can always wrap something around it to shield it yourself, if that's an issue where you live.

Took a picture of my Densha de Go stuff:
2kUQD01.jpg

Fun game. Haven't quite gotten the timing down for stopping the train at the correct position yet though.

Ramune

It's my birthday today, so a friend posted this on my facebook wall and congratulated me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbZk-Ar6a6w

I'm in tears laughing here, such enthusiasm over the Daytona song!

Oh wow, Happy Belated Birthday SaturnBro! :D

My cable came in! Oh sweet gratification! It looks clean and solid. However, it's not as thick as the one from Retro gaming accessories. Which makes me think it might not be fully shielded? Well, can't wait to try it out now.

At last! Hopefully it works out this time! ^_^;

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am not buying a ps4 or xb1 this year, so I thought I would fill the void with some Saturn RPG classics!

1467289_10202679601371059_1286579706_n.jpg

I also got Japanese copies of the last 2 parts of shining force 3, going to see if I can get that fan translation to work. Has anyone here made it work?

1476490_10202679671252806_547298921_n.jpg

Mikhal

The graphics for Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari are so good! Anyone ever play it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-tFmad9gs

retro_console_accessories is selling NTSC-U/-J Saturn SCART cables again

I know there's a few alternative options out there at this point, but I'm mentioning it anyway.

Finally! Thanks for the heads up. Just bought one.

I am not buying a ps4 or xb1 this year, so I thought I would fill the void with some Saturn RPG classics!

1467289_10202679601371059_1286579706_n.jpg

I also got Japanese copies of the last 2 parts of shining force 3, going to see if I can get that fan translation to work. Has anyone here made it work?

Great games!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Nice!

It does work. I've made it work, sorta. My Saturn is an unmodded model 1, so I tried using the disc swapping technique for scenario 3.3*, replacing my game with the translated-patched ISO, and I played for a while, but then I started getting a "disc read error" and couldn't continue anymore. :(

I tested it with an emulator, though, I forgot which one (Cassini maybe?). I didn't have my save from the previous scenarios, so I didn't continue, but it seemed to work just fine. If you have trouble with the disc swapping, play them on emulators.

* I played through 3.2 all in Japanese using a printout of the translated dialogue from Shining Force central... lol. Didn't know of the patch or disc swapping trick at the time, and had no laptop to carry on my couch. Pro-tip: don't do that except as an extreme last resort.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Nice!

It does work. I've made it work, sorta. My Saturn is an unmodded model 1, so I tried using the disc swapping technique for scenario 3.3*, replacing my game with the translated-patched ISO, and I played for a while, but then I started getting a "disc read error" and couldn't continue anymore. :(

I tested it with an emulator, though, I forgot which one (Cassini maybe?). I didn't have my save from the previous scenarios, so I didn't continue, but it seemed to work just fine. If you have trouble with the disc swapping, play them on emulators.

* I played through 3.2 all in Japanese using a printout of the translated dialogue from Shining Force central... lol. Didn't know of the patch or disc swapping trick at the time, and had no laptop to carry on my couch. Pro-tip: don't do that except as an extreme last resort.

I have actually retired my Saturn somewhat and rely on the SSR emulator to play the discs on my media PC. It is working well, especially since I have some of the Saturn USB ports, so I have good hopes about getting the translation to work, and not have to fiddle with a modded or imported Saturn.

But first I need to revisit Shining the Holy Ark! One of my favorites back in the day.

IrishNinja

was running through the Sega Ages & Memorial stuff tonight...man, there's so much gold to be found here. was always jelly of the J-PS2 Sega Ages scene, but this one's quite amazing too, weird that DC kinda got passed by for some of these gems.

I was having issues with SSF recognizing my cd drive. Since this wasn't posted in the OP, I decided to let you guys know (I used the search function to see if anyone had the same problem). I needed ASPI drivers that were compatible with Windows 7.
Download Mekugi ASPI Drivers for Windows 7 and copy the dll to the SSF directory, then right click SSF exe and run as Administrator.
Sorry, if this solution has already been posted.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
This is not how you treat the Holy Ark.

$_57.JPG

Arrived in the cheapest looking packaging so it's no wonder it showed up like that. Whatever getting a refund for it plus I bought it again from someone else slightly cheaper. It's stuff like this why some games are getting rarer and expensive. At least my other Saturn games arrived in one piece.

Mikhal

$_57.JPG

Arrived in the cheapest looking packaging so it's no wonder it showed up like that. Whatever getting a refund for it plus I bought it again from someone else slightly cheaper. It's stuff like this why some games are getting rarer and expensive. At least my other Saturn games arrived in one piece.

Is that from ebay? I think I may have been looking at the same BIN listings as you if it was...

Teknoman

$_57.JPG

I...damn...my condolences.

Yes Boss!

vertically in those slimline jewel cases I guess

That is the best advice.

I do the same with my fragile 360 shmups, mostly from moving around so many locations and not having all the cases with me. It also helps with dealing with the silly elaborate packages that don't need to be opened every time...just keep a stack of slim cases stocked with all the must-play games at easy reach.

null_zps07aa5d19.jpg

cj_iwakura

My Saturn USB gamepad is dead. :( Torn wire. I think I wound the wire around the controller one too many times...

I hope I can find the same one for $15. I know there's a lot of crappy knock-offs, mine was legit.

Sapiens

My Saturn USB gamepad is dead. :( Torn wire. I think I wound the wire around the controller one too many times...

I hope I can find the same one for $15. I know there's a lot of crappy knock-offs, mine was legit.

Play Asia has some legit USB Neo Geo dudes in stock if that is a good sub.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of camera is that?

A 3DS XL in not so good lighting haha.

Either way it's all good. I can't be too mad at him since he gave me a refund right away. Even took my advice for better packaging. Though no doubt the delivery person was also to blame as well. Plus I bought the same game again for a few bucks less from someone else. Now if it were Shining Force 3 or Panzer Dragoon Saga that broke then that's a criminal offense to all Saturn owners.

sarcoa

Local craigslist ad has a Saturn lot for sale, and I'm having trouble making a few of these out:

11182000875_0d3c8ce8a6_o.jpg

Top to bottom, I'm seeing
Wing Arms
Virtua Fighter 2
???????
???????
Bug
Soviet Strike?
???????
Sega Rally
NBA Live 98
Panzer Dragoon
Legend of Oasis
???????
Daytona USA
Clockwork Knight
Rayman

Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

cj_iwakura

Local craigslist ad has a Saturn lot for sale, and I'm having trouble making a few of these out:

11182000875_0d3c8ce8a6_o.jpg

Top to bottom, I'm seeing
Wing Arms
Virtua Fighter 2
???????
???????
Bug
Soviet Strike?
???????
Sega Rally
NBA Live 98
Panzer Dragoon
Legend of Oasis
???????
Daytona USA
Clockwork Knight
Rayman

Anyone care to fill in the blanks?

Third one is Blazing Heroes. Great game.
(AKA Mystaria: The Realms of Lore)

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Not really.

Aren't memory cards worth at least half that in some cases? I need one when my new Shining the Holy Ark arrives... in one piece this time.

Also is there a site that has printable US Saturn game case covers but shrunk down to Japan style Saturn games?
Basically I want all my games to be like this since most of them don't have instruction books anyways.
mCpdu2JnktXjgYNCZLb4x2g.jpg

The only ones I see are for DVD box cases.

Jaeger

Years ago I had a Skeleton Derby Saturn, and at least 50 Japanese titles, most I never played. I had to sell it (and I believe some pieces were stolen) in order to make ends meat as a struggling late teens guy trying to make it out on his own.

Lots of regrets.

With that said I am going to jump head first back into one of my most beloved game systems this month. It was a toss up between getting a PC Engine or this, but the Saturn hands down as much more to offer and will cost alot less to get. Currently looking at eBay member hit-japan's catalog (a wonderful one at that), and he has a few good deals with completed workin gconsoles with tons of games. Looking at a Victor V Saturn Console with hall cords, and the original box. Then I'll try and hunt down another copy (cause I had to sell mine at a huge loss) Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Btw, the Action Replay cart, that allows me to play US titles on the JPN Saturn, correct? Been awhile and I don't recall.

EDIT - And OMG I never heard of Blast Wind before now. Holy crap. Technosoft makes some of my favorites shmups ever (Hyper Duel, TF series), yet somehow I missed THIS one? -_- Smh Hunting down a copy RIGHT NOW.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm taking a long hard look at my collection and determining which ones I'll be selling off in the near future. Already put up some Sega soundtracks and other memorabilia (shameless buy/sell link). Now I just need to determine which games I'm never going to play again and what kind of prices I could expect to get for them... Damn @ current PDS prices. Never really expected it to be worth 3x the amount I paid for...

I still haven't even played through Astal or Shining the Holy Ark yet. Need to get around to doing that now that I've got the cables to hook the Saturn up to my monitor and don't need to drag out the CRT for it anymore.

RAIDEN1

Reading the back-story to this system, (as provided in the thread:..."was there any saving the sega saturn") must say its fascinating about how things came about from its inception to its final debut in May '95...

Top Bottom