• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mercutio

That's precisely the point, it's not an AES. The MVS has never looked like an AES - all it is is a PCB. If you want an AES, why buy a facsimile? You can always get an actual AES and an MVS to AES convertor for probably about the same or (if you shop around) even less than the Omega. Not to mention that that option allows you to purchase games on AES that are significantly cheaper than their MVS counterparts (Magician Lord, Nam 1975, etc.)

Well, you don't get an MVS to AES converter because the scaling graphics in a lot of fighters have significant issues. And the ones that can really cost you.

But the Omega's not necessarily about being a "clone" of an AES, it's more about having the feel of hardware from the era it was designed in. It's also pretty similar to a Genesis, truth be told.

I mean, I could agree with you a bit more here if you hadn't showed a white tupperware box. I think most people would be hard pressed to choose it over an Omega or a Analogue Interactive.

televator

Yeah I don't see why it not being an AES means it can't sorta look like one and why it's better in white tupperware... It's not adding up for me that way.

IrishNinja

^yeah, for the price i really wish that thing was better

That's precisely the point, it's not an AES. The MVS has never looked like an AES - all it is is a PCB. If you want an AES, why buy a facsimile? You can always get an actual AES and an MVS to AES convertor for probably about the same or (if you shop around) even less than the Omega. Not to mention that that option allows you to purchase games on AES that are significantly cheaper than their MVS counterparts (Magician Lord, Nam 1975, etc.)

eh, as Mercutio said, you'd need to fork over a lot for said converter, and ive read they have some compatibility issues as well (no idea if they're beyond the scaling though).

for me, id prefer an AES but too many titles i want are stupid expensive on it. if im gonna consolize an MVS, i want it to look like that baller system i never had as a kid! plus honestly, i can get by with a big ol' multicart for a while till i find more legit games at decent prices, if i could make that work on an AES i'd just do that.

and yeah Boss, that Analogue is gorgeous, id have to go with the black though. and then id want that stick and that's way too much for it, haha...man i really wish there was a good podcast or other source for neo geo info, i love that scene and pretty much just scour their forum for bits of info.

still really really wish we had a jamma/supergun thread too, might just start one sometime with barebones info to get the ball rolling!

Bar81

Well, you don't get an MVS to AES converter because the scaling graphics in a lot of fighters have significant issues. And the ones that can really cost you.

You are working with old information. There are not scaling issues with the current convertors. And they cost $250-$300 which means that it's no more at worst with an AES than any of these AES clones.

With regard to aesthetics, it's up to the end user to purchase what they want. I don't see the point in spending a bunch of money to get a system that looks like another system (that you can buy anyway for less money) or getting furniture masquerading as a gaming system, but that's my call. Obviously many others think differently and there are options these days that cater to different tastes, which is never a bad thing.

IrishNinja

...but i just got done saying i wanted an AES, but the games are too much! seriously there's a dude in one of these threads with 3 shelves of gorgeous AES games that he spent 20k euro on. really makes me realize how softcore my shit is, haha.

Bar81

Yeah I don't see why it not being an AES means it can't sorta look like one and why it's better in white tupperware... It's not adding up for me that way.

It can look like one. I'm just saying that it reminds me of this:

benedetto-bufalino-transforms-an-old-car-into-a-cardboard-ferrari-designboom-31.jpg

Bar81

...but i just got done saying i wanted an AES, but the games are too much! seriously there's a dude in one of these threads with 3 shelves of gorgeous AES games that he spent 20k euro on. really makes me realize how softcore my shit is, haha.

Brother, you can get an AES and use an MVS to AES convertor to play MVS games on it and (1) it's an *ACTUAL* AES system that costs the same (most likely less) than the Omega/furniture/etc. units and (2) gives you the flexibility to play cheaper AES versions of certain games. It's a win-win.

tuffy

Recieved my Backup Memory cart! Was in nice condition, but man the thing is huge compared to PS1's small cards! I'm kind of understanding the rumours that Saturn was maybe designed to be able to run games from carts as well as cd's.
As I understand it, the Saturn's cart slot sits right on the main system bus, which is just the sort of craziness I'd expect from Sega's hardware division. The upside is that the slot is fast enough to be used for system RAM extensions which SNK and Capcom took advantage of for their fighting game ports.

As I understand it, the Saturn's cart slot sits right on the main system bus, which is just the sort of craziness I'd expect from Sega's hardware division. The upside is that the slot is fast enough to be used for system RAM extensions which SNK and Capcom took advantage of for their fighting game ports.

Did not know that! :)

Mercutio

Brother, you can get an AES and use an MVS to AES convertor to play MVS games on it and (1) it's an *ACTUAL* AES system that costs the same (most likely less) than the Omega/furniture/etc. units and (2) gives you the flexibility to play cheaper AES versions of certain games. It's a win-win.

If there's anything that looks foolish, it's stacking an already huge and heavy MVS cart on top of an AES cart. I mean, you're talking about maintaining the original visual integrity of the AES, and here you are putting a bunch of dumb hats on it. That's strain on the connectors, too. You're talking about adding a $200-$300 converter onto a system that already goes for $200-300, and you think that's a GOOD idea? An Omega costs $500, and there's absolutely no reason to buy AES games. Hell, the AES doesn't even have all of the games available on the system.

But, I mean, come on. Nobody's going to do what you're suggesting in this day and age. This is the era of the CMVS, and most people are going to get a system that looks nice.

You're the only person arguing your point here, and it's just not working out for you. We can chalk it up to being subjective, and just move on.

Bar81

If there's anything that looks foolish, it's stacking an already huge and heavy MVS cart on top of an AES cart. I mean, you're talking about maintaining the original visual integrity of the AES, and here you are putting a bunch of dumb hats on it. That's strain on the connectors, too. You're talking about adding a $200-$300 converter onto a system that already goes for $200-300, and you think that's a GOOD idea? An Omega costs $500, and there's absolutely no reason to buy AES games. Hell, the AES doesn't even have all of the games available on the system.

But, I mean, come on. Nobody's going to do what you're suggesting in this day and age. This is the era of the CMVS, and most people are going to get a system that looks nice.

You're the only person arguing your point here, and it's just not working out for you. We can chalk it up to being subjective, and just move on.

Thanks for deciding for everyone what the best option is. Particularly given your in depth knowledge of the subject matter.

Mercutio

Now here's something we can all hate.

This little monstrosity showed up on Neo-Geo's sales forums recently.

1_zps705c3e54.jpg

3_zpsd5ed3991.jpg

2_zps6a940a3e.jpg

This little hate-crime is an MVS in a Saturn shell. The monster that committed this abomination also added LEDs when it is running.

I hate it so much. I hate everything here. I hope the cabinet that he took the hinges off of spills glassware upon him every time he tries to get a god damned drink.

Bar81

but what about the converter/compatibility issues? what about themmmmm

To my knowledge, those have been ironed out. The complaints I've seen seem to apply to the earlier generation units which most notably had scaling issues, issues with certain games such as Metal Slug X, etc. The best bet would be to ask the question on neo-geo.com as there are a wealth of people who have intimate experience on there with these units.

Mercutio

I would've figured you would be first in line given your love of look a like hardware.

Ohohoho. Nice little shot there. And here I was trying to make nice by showing a common enemy we can all dislike.

Look guy, you've got different taste than the majority of folks. I think you need to accept that and move on. I'm pretty sick of your shit; nobody's going to buy an AES and then blow $279 for a Magic Key to make it look stupid. Get over it.

Oh, hey, also. You know the Magic Key doesn't support multi-carts, right? That's sort of a big deal to some people. Or anyone who wants to play Sam Sho V Special without blowing $200+.

Bar81

Ohohoho. Nice little shot there. And here I was trying to make nice by showing a common enemy we can all dislike.

Look guy, you've got different taste than the majority of folks. I think you need to accept that and move on. I'm pretty sick of your shit; nobody's going to buy an AES and then blow $279 for a Magic Key to make it look stupid. Get over it.

Oh, hey, also. You know the Magic Key doesn't support multi-carts, right? That's sort of a big deal to some people. Or anyone who wants to play Sam Sho V Special without blowing $200+.

Thanks for telling me the way it is. If you didn't notice, I don't want to play nice with you since you don't know what you're talking about as evidenced in pretty much all your neo posts. In any case, I already conceded that tastes are different. I'm just not clear how you've turned that into you being the arbiter of appropriate taste.

Mercutio

Thanks for telling me the way it is. If you didn't notice, I don't want to play nice with you since you don't know what you're talking about as evidenced in pretty much all your neo posts. In any case, I already conceded that tastes are different. I'm just not clear how you've turned that into you being the arbiter of appropriate taste.

Oh yeah, keep talking down to me. I'll keep talking down to you. We're both pretty sure the other guy's an idiot here, so nothing's going to change. And shame on me for pointing out that nobody else thinks tupperware is a good housing for an MVS.

Bar81

Oh yeah, keep talking down to me. I'll keep talking down to you. We're both pretty sure the other guy's an idiot here, so nothing's going to change. And shame on me for pointing out that nobody else thinks tupperware is a good housing for an MVS.

Meoooow. Thanks for saying we won't agree and then trying to tell me you're right. Top notch work there.

Bar81

And to you sir. Let's shake and add each other to our ignore lists, so the thread isn't further crapped up.

Ooooh, there are ignore lists. I did learn something from you. Thanks.

edit: It even gets rid of their already made posts. Is it weird that I kind of want to friend Mercutio now for teaching me this :) Anyway, enough fun for today. Back to work.

edit2: I can't ignore Mercutio. I already miss him :(

Chao

Do you guys know where to buy Saturn controllers? preferably stores shipping to Europe.

I would like a good emulator controller, and I consider saturn's controller one of the best.
I know something about those USB Saturn controllers that were being sold at some point and now are crazy expensive on eBay. Anything a bit more affordable?

I would also love to buy mega drive controllers, but I guess it's impossible to buy a brand new controller in 2013 right? I have a couple but they feel really stiff, the rubber thing under the dpad and buttons is just too old

Bar81

Do you guys know where to buy Saturn controllers? preferably stores shipping to Europe.

I would like a good emulator controller, and I consider saturn's controller one of the best.
I know something about those USB Saturn controllers that were being sold at some point and now are crazy expensive on eBay. Anything a bit more affordable?

I would also love to buy mega drive controllers, but I guess it's impossible to buy a brand new controller in 2013 right? I have a couple but they feel really stiff, the rubber thing under the dpad and buttons is just too old

Do you want a saturn controller or a method to use saturn controllers on a computer?

Mercutio

There are cheaper Saturn knockoffs on eBay usually. They're white with blue buttons and branded "Play Sega." I'm not to sure on their origin, but they're definitely not made by Sega... maybe someone Sega contracted work out to? I have one and while it isn't as good as an actual Saturn pad, it's still not bad for the $7 I paid for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-...VideoGames_Merchandise_RL&hash=item35cd27bf19

Ah, here's more info about them: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?9266-PLAYSega-USB-Sega-Saturn-Pads-First-Impressions

Oh, and I think Mayflash made a Saturn to USB converter for a while. That might be good if you already have Saturn pads.

Chao

Do you want a saturn controller or a method to use saturn controllers on a computer?
Saturn controllers + USB converter would be ideal. That way I could use them on my Saturn and the computer
There are cheaper Saturn knockoffs on eBay usually. They're white with blue buttons and branded "Play Sega." I'm not to sure on their origin, but they're definitely not made by Sega... maybe someone Sega contracted work out to? I have one and while it isn't as good as an actual Saturn pad, it's still not bad for the $7 I paid for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-...VideoGames_Merchandise_RL&hash=item35cd27bf19

Ah, here's more info about them: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?9266-PLAYSega-USB-Sega-Saturn-Pads-First-Impressions

Oh, and I think Mayflash made a Saturn to USB converter for a while. That might be good if you already have Saturn pads.

Yeah I've seen those before, but I wasn't sure about their quality. I've read comments saying that they break easily, but for that price I guess it's understandable.

Mikhal

Don't really want to bring the Neo stuff back up since it was already over and done with, but you can run a multicart on a Magic Key but you will need to hold the bypass button until the game starts up though.

Rakuten has a free international shipping campaign (more like up to 3000 yen shipping free) for orders over 10,000 yen so I bought this Bomberman Pack since it looks interesting. Can anyone confirm that it comes with Saturn Bomberman Fight as seen in this flyer on Sega Retro or is it just some kind of promotion?

Hehe. Vestfold, Norway here!

Nice! Did you buy the Saturn in Norway back in the nineties? I waited and waited for a proper launch in Norway, it never really came, only through some mail order companies. I ended up getting a PS1 instead, went back about a year ago and bought a Saturn though. I felt like I had to catch up on something I missed.

Nice! Did you buy the Saturn in Norway back in the nineties? I waited and waited for a proper launch in Norway, it never really came, only through some mail order companies. I ended up getting a PS1 instead, went back about a year ago and bought a Saturn though. I felt like I had to catch up on something I missed.

Yeah, I bought it back in 97 I think. It was me and one other guy who had a Saturn in my circle of friends. He later sold his to get a N64 though.

Still have the same machine today, but I've had to replace the power board inside the machine since it broke. Also got 2 other consoles now, 1 spare EUR and 1 white JPN one.

Yeah, I bought it back in 97 I think. It was me and one other guy who had a Saturn in my circle of friends. He later sold his to get a N64 though.

Still have the same machine today, but I've had to replace the power board inside the machine since it broke. Also got 2 other consoles now, 1 spare EUR and 1 white JPN one.

Nice! I've collected a few games so far, catching up on Saturn exclusives :)

Don't really want to bring the Neo stuff back up since it was already over and done with, but you can run a multicart on a Magic Key but you will need to hold the bypass button until the game starts up though.

Rakuten has a free international shipping campaign (more like up to 3000 yen shipping free) for orders over 10,000 yen so I bought this Bomberman Pack since it looks interesting. Can anyone confirm that it comes with Saturn Bomberman Fight as seen in this flyer on Sega Retro or is it just some kind of promotion?

How does that free shipping promo work? Would I have to have ordered a week ago? It ends on the 15th (Japan time) and it usually takes like 7 or 8 days for surugaya to get back to you.

Mikhal

How does that free shipping promo work? Would I have to have ordered a week ago? It ends on the 15th (Japan time) and it usually takes like 7 or 8 days for surugaya to get back to you.

This is my first time doing it with Surugaya also. To my understanding, as long as you order during the promo period, you should have up to 3000 yen off shipping. Surugaya does have to ship by 12/31 for the promo to apply though. I think that's enough time for them.

Details: For each eligible order over 10,000 JPY (or a pretax order value of 9,523JPY) in value, from a single shop, placed during the campaign period on Rakuten Global Market, and shipped by December 31st , 2013, you will get up to 3,000 JPY off international shipping.
* Rakuten Global Market membership registration or campaign registration is not necessary to participate in this campaign.
* If you would like to register as a member please register here (free).

This is my first time doing it with Surugaya also. To my understanding, as long as you order during the promo period, you should have up to 3000 yen off shipping. Surugaya does have to ship by 12/31 for the promo to apply though. I think that's enough time for them.

Nice, thanks for the heads up then. I had my eyes on a couple things so maybe I'll splurge.

televator

My cable came in! Oh sweet gratification! It looks clean and solid. However, it's not as thick as the one from Retro gaming accessories. Which makes me think it might not be fully shielded? Well, can't wait to try it out now.

Top Bottom