• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Ramune

Puyo Puyo Sun! I still need to get it. I have the first two (1 one MegaDrive, Tsu on Saturn), Fever (DS), and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (on both Genesis and Game Gear).

Anyway, I prefer CRTs. They look nice, don't lag, and work with lightguns. I love lightgun games.

Yeah! I also own Puyo 1 on MegaDrive and Tsu on Saturn too. Gotta love those concert videos in Tsu eh? ;)
Then there's Puyo~n on Dreamcast. Even have Puyo Pop on Neo Geo Pockect Color (which is really a port of Puyo Puyo Tsu; obviously apparent when the system language settings is set to Japanese ^_^) Haven't dabbed into the post Fever generation of games, but I'll probably give Puyo Puyo Tetris a go soon!
Edit: Oh yeah, also own Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon on the Saturn too! I just need Madou Monogatari Saturn.

And yeah, tried a PS1 lightgun game on my roommate's HD CRT and it was a no go. ^_^;

Speedlolita, I have official Nintendo RGB cables and since you use official ones too, how do I open it to check out the "ground" since the signal it gives is shot. If I can fix these great, because I don't wanna just get a new cable if these can be salvaged.

2013-09-30-220629.jpg

Opening guide here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/rgbntsc.htm

A PAL GC cable should work just fine on an NTSC SNES - but on earlier models of PAL SNES it will fade to black like in your image - which is odd unless you are using a PAL SNES. Hard to tell from the pic.

That would also happen if the caps went bad in a moldy old SNES RGB cable too mind.

Yeah! I also own Puyo 1 on MegaDrive and Tsu on Saturn too. Gotta love those concert videos in Tsu eh? ;)
Then there's Puyo~n on Dreamcast. Even have Puyo Pop on Neo Geo Pockect Color (which is really a port of Puyo Puyo Tsu; obviously apparent when the system language settings is set to Japanese ^_^) Haven't dabbed into the post Fever generation of games, but I'll probably give Puyo Puyo Tetris a go soon!
Edit: Oh yeah, also own Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon on the Saturn too! I just need Madou Monogatari Saturn.

And yeah, tried a PS1 lightgun game on my roommate's HD CRT and it was a no go. ^_^;

Ah! Very nice. I wanted to get Puyo Pop for the Neo Geo Pocket Color, but it's expensive. :(
I'm still meaning to get Sun and ~n/4, but I don't know know whether to get the N64 or Saturn and Dreamcast versions. Heh. I've played all of the games, by the way, but I think I prefer to old Compile ones. Fever is still damn great, though. I played the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, and it seems pretty cool.

Here's my Puyo Puyo collection. It's small, but it'll grow soon:

Oh, and since people have been posting pics of their TVs/setups, here's mine right now:

I used to have an HDTV in another room, but it broke, so the Wii U and PlayStation 3 are now the rest of my consoles for now. The only things I don't have hooked up are my original PlayStation, and my Commodore 64.

I left the drawers open because I'm a show off. Hah.

Ramune

Opening guide here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/rgbntsc.htm

A PAL GC cable should work just fine on an NTSC SNES - but on earlier models of PAL SNES it will fade to black like in your image - which is odd unless you are using a PAL SNES. Hard to tell from the pic.

That would also happen if the caps went bad in a moldy old SNES RGB cable too mind.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, it's a NTSC SNES. I'll give her an open tomorrow and see what's inside. Probably is a moldy old SNES cable since I won it off Yahoo JP auctions. @_@;
In that case, is replacing the caps simple enough?

Ah! Very nice. I wanted to get Puyo Pop for the Neo Geo Pocket Color, but it's expensive. :(
I'm still meaning to get Sun and ~n/4, but I don't know know whether to get the N64 or Saturn and Dreamcast versions. Heh. I've played all of the games, by the way, but I think I prefer to old Compile ones. Fever is still damn great, though. I played the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, and it seems pretty cool.

Is that so?! I got mine when NGPC was still alive and being sold in EB, Software etc, and the like. As for Puyo~n, hmm, I don't see it getting any better than the Dreamcast version, but according to Wikipedia:

There were subtle differences between the domestic versions of ~n, but a vast difference between the domestic versions and the Game Boy Color version. Puyo Puyo~n: Kaa-Kun to Issho (lit. "Puyo Puyo~n: Together with Kaa-kun") for the PlayStation had the same music as the Dreamcast version of Puyo Puyo~n, but only supported up to two players. Puyo Puyo~n Party 64 for the Nintendo 64 had different music from the Dreamcast version and lacked the voiced cutscenes, but retained four player multiplayer and included a Transfer Pak mode where you could unlock more artwork by plugging in Pocket Puyo Puyo SUN. Pocket Puyo Puyo~n for the Game Boy Color used music from Pocket Puyo Puyo Sun as well as music from Puyo~n itself, had more characters and more specials, including some of the cast from Pocket Puyo Puyo Sun, and Minotauros instead of Zou Daimaou, but naturally only supported two players and had the same storyline, retaining the comic humour of the previous versions. Pocket Puyo Puyo~n also had a special Rally mode where you faced all 23 characters to unlock the specials, and you could choose which special you wanted to use before the game started. This version didn't have Rule Henka or any board-specific functions like the domestic versions had, nor did it have any of the different grid sizes for Tokoton Puyo Puyo, but it does feature the ability to play Endless similarly to Puyo Puyo Tsu's Action Endless (where garbage appears in the tray, and helpers appear at random times depending on the difficulty setting).

The stance that Puyo Puyo~n has taken into the series may have been used as a base for Puyo Puyo 7.

Here's my Puyo collection btw:

DSC_0034.PNG

Is that so?! I got mine when NGPC was still alive and being sold in EB, Software etc, and the like. As for Puyo~n, hmm, I don't see it getting any better than the Dreamcast version, but according to Wikipedia:

I really wanted to get a Neo Geo Pocket Color when it was still "alive," but I didn't get the chance to. I got mine when GameStop started selling them again in those "Pocket Color Arcade" bundles around 2001 or 2002 or so, shortly after SNK got shut down.

Anyway, my main reason for thinking about getting the N64 version is 4-player multiplayer, and...cartridges. Hah.

Nice collection, by the way! I was tempted to get Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon for a while, but since I can't read anything in it, I passed for now. Maybe I'll still get it someday. I was gonna order Puyo Puyo Sun and Puyo Puyo~n for the Saturn and Dreamcast, and Puyo Pop for the GameBoy Advance, sometime last year, but I decided to get something else since I had just gotten 1 and Tsu. I figured I'd space them out a bit. Hah.

I just found out Haro no Puyo Puyo exists and now I must have it.

That's the GameBoy Advance Gundam one, right? I keep forgetting about that one...

Thanks for the link! Yeah, it's a NTSC SNES. I'll give her an open tomorrow and see what's inside. Probably is a moldy old SNES cable since I won it off Yahoo JP auctions. @_@;
In that case, is replacing the caps simple enough?

As long as you have basic soldering skills it won't be an issue, though the official RGB cables have a circuit board inside rather than caps just in the lines as 3rd party cables have so it may be a bit more difficult than a 3rd party cable sure.

cj_iwakura

Oh, and since people have been posting pics of their TVs/setups, here's mine right now:

I used to have an HDTV in another room, but it broke, so the Wii U and PlayStation 3 are now the rest of my consoles for now. The only things I don't have hooked up are my original PlayStation, and my Commodore 64.

I left the drawers open because I'm a show off. Hah.

I only own Puyo Pop Fever and DRMBM via the Sonic PS2 collection, but oh well. PPF is sooo good. Great localization too.
(I used to keep my collection in drawers, but it's much nicer bookshelved.)

After playing my first Puyo Puyo since Mean Bean Machine and popping in Puyo Puyo 2 I have one thing to say.

FUCK THIS GAME!!! FUCK IT!!!

That is all. Can't beat the second goddamned stage.

That is all.

Mercutio

Finally getting off my ass and doing the Lord's work.

See you soon, Shining Force III.

You're doing the right thing. Man, that save file is HUGE though. That's one I keep on the cart, so I can play SFA3's World Tour or whatever mode. I really wish the Saturn had just a little more internal storage.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
You're doing the right thing. Man, that save file is HUGE though. That's one I keep on the cart, so I can play SFA3's World Tour or whatever mode. I really wish the Saturn had just a little more internal storage.
Good thinking. But for some reason, my Saturn isn't recognizing the AR as a memory card. Thoughts?

Good thinking. But for some reason, my Saturn isn't recognizing the AR as a memory card. Thoughts?
Action Replay doesn't directly work as a memory card. You can copy files from and to the internal memory, but you can't save directly to it from a game.

Reset your console to return to the Action Replay menu and use the memory manager to copy your save from your internal memory to the cart. This is what I've been doing for years to make sure that I don't lose any files.

Wereroku

You need an official card for that to work same with any game that has that feature.

Edit:
Well that is what I get for not reading all the way to the bottom.

oneida

Action Replay doesn't directly work as a memory card. You can copy files from and to the internal memory, but you can't save directly to it from a game.

Reset your console to return to the Action Replay menu and use the memory manager to copy your save from your internal memory to the cart. This is what I've been doing for years to make sure that I don't lose any files.
I tried doing this but now SFIII doesn't see my save at all. I'll copy it back onto the system memory later.

IrishNinja

yeah, that action replay is invaluable for lotsa stuff, but i got tired of moving files & having to press start before playing games (i read that you shouldn't mess with the cart slot too much if you can avoid it, as they can be troublesome), so i tracked down a JP memory card on the cheap & never take it out unless playing a fighter that supports 4MB RAM.

now if only i could find a Dragon Force sticker for it

cj_iwakura

yeah, that action replay is invaluable for lotsa stuff, but i got tired of moving files & having to press start before playing games (i read that you shouldn't mess with the cart slot too much if you can avoid it, as they can be troublesome), so i tracked down a JP memory card on the cheap & never take it out unless playing a fighter that supports 4MB RAM.

now if only i could find a Dragon Force sticker for it

I have extra Magic Knight Rayearth ones!

oneida

Nice afternoon with Shining Force III, Soukyogurentai and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I was bummed about losing my saves when the battery died a few months ago, but now it feels like an exciting clean slate.

IrishNinja

I have extra Magic Knight Rayearth ones!

PM'd so hard

Nice afternoon with Shining Force III, Soukyogurentai and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I was bummed about losing my saves when the battery died a few months ago, but now it feels like an exciting clean slate.

that sounds like a badass afternoon, yeah! SFIII is my next white whale when i pay stuff down, Souky should (slowly) be on its way here still, and PDS i'm saving for Year of Saturn play later, but all three look awesome
sorry for busting your balls back there man, all love

Another reason that Action Replay carts are naff then.
It's a little annoying, but not that bad. Also, remember that given the poor construction of the Saturn's cartridge port, just plugging in an AR cartridge and permanently leaving it there is probably better for the system than taking in and out a memory cart, 4MB RAM cart, and 1MB RAM cart... sure, the official carts should fit right, but I think even they can cause problems over time.

And really, I think there's, like, one game that simply won't save to internal memory but will save to cartridge. That'd be Hexen, since its save-anywhere feature makes saves get really large, really fast. (Although that might have a not-save-anywhere workaround, I think? You'd be better off getting the game on Steam, breaking out GZDoom or Chocolate Hexen and playing the game there anyway, surely, but there's something.)

And really, I think there's, like, one game that simply won't save to internal memory but will save to cartridge. That'd be Hexen, since its save-anywhere feature makes saves get really large, really fast. (Although that might have a not-save-anywhere workaround, I think? You'd be better off getting the game on Steam, breaking out GZDoom or Chocolate Hexen and playing the game there anyway, surely, but there's something.)

You're right, Hexen does require a memory cart to save. The PS1 version needs like 12 or 16 blocks for a file, the N64 version needs 80-something, so it's no surprise that the little 32KB Saturn internal memory wouldn't be enough... though I do find it really, really weird that the backup option is a password. Why not a save file to the system with the same data as that password? They could have done it! It's a much more restrictive save system than the save-anywhere save files are, after all, and isn't save anywhere... ah well. I would have to get a memory cart if I got Saturn Hexen, yeah.

Mikhal

It's a little annoying, but not that bad. Also, remember that given the poor construction of the Saturn's cartridge port, just plugging in an AR cartridge and permanently leaving it there is probably better for the system than taking in and out a memory cart, 4MB RAM cart, and 1MB RAM cart... sure, the official carts should fit right, but I think even they can cause problems over time.

I saw a "fix" that involves adjusting the screws on the cart slot so the cartridges can get seated better. I haven't tried it yet but might be worth a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osQiUoe0yMo

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've never owned a Saturn that didn't have a fucked cartridge slot.

I just use a region-switched console now. PAR has been collecting dust for years.

oneida

The cart must be removed to play PDS

I've never owned a Saturn that didn't have a fucked cartridge slot.

I just use a region-switched console now. PAR has been collecting dust for years.

Funny, none of my Saturn have had any issues. I've owned about 10 in total too. Only 3 now.

I always remove the carts when not in use though.

The board is a little thick on AR carts which may screw up your cart slot for official carts a little.

Something to keep in mind.

Sixfortyfive

It's even an in-joke in that old Sega Fantasy VI flash animation from years back.

The Saturn tries to use the Cartridge attack but it has a 0% success rate.

IrishNinja

damn...so i'm leaving my official memory card in there 99% of the time, but since i ended up with an incoming 4MB cart with X-Men vs Street Fighter, would that thing be better than plugging in the AR when needed, or about the same?

Sixfortyfive

Couldn't tell you, but one thing I advise you to do when using official memory carts is to check the memory manager right after inserting it and making sure that all of your existing saves at least seem to be showing up correctly. If you see a bunch of garbage data, try powering off the console, re-seating the cartridge, and trying again. If something looks amiss then it could be a sign that the connection isn't working properly and you have a really good chance of corrupting any saves that you make while it's in that condition.

Mercutio

PM'd so hard

that sounds like a badass afternoon, yeah! SFIII is my next white whale when i pay stuff down, Souky should (slowly) be on its way here still, and PDS i'm saving for Year of Saturn play later, but all three look awesome
sorry for busting your balls back there man, all love

Oh man, I've left my JP memory card blank just in case I can find a good sticker someday. I wonder if there are any left!?

I normally leave my 4MB cart in, since my Saturn is primarily for fighters. Generally I leave enough space for whatever RPG I'm playing, and when I beat it I move it on to my memory card cart.

Oddly, my memory card cart is totally rock solid every time I try to use it. I've never had any issue. It's my 4MB that's finicky about the slot. Hence it living there most of the time. Maybe I should switch to a PAR, but I really don't like the interface and prefer the actual Sega goods.

oneida

I have such a hard time with this game that it actually bums me out at little. It seems like stage 3 (desert) gives me the most trouble - if I lose any time there, I don't finish 4, period.

edit
I just had a run where I had zero collisions, never went off road, and timed out on stage 3. Fuck!

Been wanting this for over 16 years...and I only just finally got it:

I used to play the arcade version a LOT back when it first came out. I've always wanted to get the Saturn version, but I never did, for some reason...but now it's finally mine!

I remember seeing it and a bunch of other Capcom Japanese Saturn games at...Babbage's, I think, back in the late '90s. I never got any of them, though...not like I could have played them, anyway. I didn't know about or buy an Action Replay until around 2004 or 2005, when I imported Samurai Shodown III and Fighting Vipers. I didn't import any more Saturn games until Puyo Puyo Tsu last year, and now X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

I could never find a copy of this game that wasn't the clear case version with no back cover that came with the RAM cart. I ordered this off Amazon, and it didn't mention anything but coming with the disc and manual. I'm happy that this is the version of the game that came in the mail. I was expecting the other one. Hopefully I can get a copy of Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter like this, too, though that does seem a lot easier to find, so it probably won't be a problem.

The cart must be removed to play PDS

Not if you use a code that bypasses that, which I found out about thanks to this thread. Now I have no reason to ever remove my Action Replay cartridge.

cj_iwakura

Taking on the first optional boss in Dragon Force. Should end in tears!

Or not... wow they went down fast. Love their design though.

cj_iwakura

Hardest boss in the game my foot. Harseldt was a joke. I figured he was going to spam resurrection, but my Harpies were all over him. Uber Gaul is much scarier.

IrishNinja

^nice! waiting on XvSF myself, and damn, cj makes me wanna hurry up & finish grinding in Albert Odyssey to tie it up & get into Dragon Force now that i finally have a memory card.

edit
I just had a run where I had zero collisions, never went off road, and timed out on stage 3. Fuck!

damn. man OutRun is like my favorite arcade racer of all time but ill never get when that happens - at least in 2 you could blame it on a lack of drifting; in 1 its like, what did i do wrong? but then it's just peaceful and i can't get upset, heh.

Sixfortyfive

Old Sega arcade racers are pretty much the pinnacle of easy to play, hard to master.

Hang-On is a roughly 5-minute course with 5 seconds of leeway. I can count the number of times I've actually cleared it on one hand.

damn. man OutRun is like my favorite arcade racer of all time but ill never get when that happens - at least in 2 you could blame it on a lack of drifting; in 1 its like, what did i do wrong? but then it's just peaceful and i can't get upset, heh.
Yeah Outrun is impossible to get salty at, at least for me. Love the tunes and blue skies. So chill.

pikablu

Finally getting off my ass and doing the Lord's work.

See you soon, Shining Force III.

How did you like that (what seems like 3 hour) opening to Shining Force 3? I swear I've started that game like 4 times and I've dreaded going through that dialogue. I finally started playing it on an Emulator just so I can keep backups of the saves.

oneida

How did you like that (what seems like 3 hour) opening to Shining Force 3? I swear I've started that game like 4 times and I've dreaded going through that dialogue. I finally started playing it on an Emulator just so I can keep backups of the saves.
I liked it, just got to chapter two. It's definitely not three hours long, at least not the dialog. The writing is considerably good in the context of when the game came out.

idk why i think this is so funny

Mercutio

I liked it, just got to chapter two. It's definitely not three hours long, at least not the dialog. The writing is considerably good in the context of when the game came out.

idk why i think this is so funny

I wish in the train track fight they'd just let you get hit on the tracks, instead of not allowing you to stay on a track square. THE TRAIN IS MILES AWAY JUST LET ME DO WHAT I PLEASE, CAMELOT SOFTWARE PLANNING.

I'm sorry I yelled, Camelot Software Planning. I wasn't thinking. I'm so sorry.

Top Bottom