• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Superstars PAL cover (teh suck)

u_neek

segasupersuck.jpg

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Looks fine. Maybe the lower characters are a bit far away and should surround the title a bit more, but that's all.

Rhage

It'd be a LOT better if they removed the character beneath the logo and that lameass EyeToy icon.

As is, it's alright...

aku:jiki

They went for a crowded look but failed, now it looks dead and boring instead.

And sorry, BuddyC, but the Samba minigame kind of sucks unless you're playing in a mansion. The space you're given is too small, and I found myself hitting the lower circles with my elbows constantly while trying to go for the upper or middle ones. The Super Monkey Ball one has a neat idea but is so hard to play I found it utterly devoid of fun. After that I got sick of this fucking preview copy freezing in every damn game so I just tossed it in a drawer.

BuddyC

aku:jiki said:
And sorry, BuddyC, but the Samba minigame kind of sucks unless you're playing in a mansion. The space you're given is too small, and I found myself hitting the lower circles with my elbows constantly while trying to go for the upper or middle ones. The Super Monkey Ball one has a neat idea but is so hard to play I found it utterly devoid of fun. After that I got sick of this fucking preview copy freezing in every damn game so I just tossed it in a drawer.

:(

I honestly can't say I'm surprised to hear this, especially after seeing what they had of the game on display at E3. Can you elaborate a bit upon the songs in the Samba minigame - are they Sega tunes, licensed, new, old, etc?

What about the NiGHTS game? How'd that work out?

u_neek

Mr_Furious said:
If you're gonna try and be cool and hate upon boxart, try picking one that's actually crappy.

You mean one like this?

segasupersuck.jpg

Would have made a cover out of your avatar if you had one..

So it's a collage of the various franchises that are showcased with their own mini-games. What's wrong with it again? Do you not like the orange? It's not a great boxart but it's far from crappy?

u_neek

Mr_Furious said:
So it's a collage of the various franchises that are showcased with their own mini-games. What's wrong with it again? Do you not like the orange? It's not a great boxart but it's far from crappy?

i actually like the Orange, but I think the small group of characters with Billy hatcher and the EyeToy logo ruin everything.

Mr_Furious said:
If you're gonna try and be cool and hate upon boxart, try picking one that's actually crappy.
If you're gonna defend crappy boxarts, try learning something about layouting. It's crap.

BuddyChrist83 said:
I honestly can't say I'm surprised to hear this, especially after seeing what they had of the game on display at E3. Can you elaborate a bit upon the songs in the Samba minigame - are they Sega tunes, licensed, new, old, etc?
Hmm, good question. It was a rather long song, but I can't say I recognized it. I haven't played much Samba in my days, though. It wasn't among the licensed ones in the original game, anyway, sadly. It felt kind of dull. There's no song selection.

BuddyChrist83 said:
What about the NiGHTS game? How'd that work out?
Didn't check that out. I'll do that and check it out a little more, just for you!

I'll bump with more impressions later then, but here are some from the round I did play:

Sonic: really confusing. You kinda run in lanes, sort of like the drag in NFSU, and you kinda do some...waving to make Sonic switch lanes. It's not a bad idea, but I didn't like how it worked out at all.

Samba: as mentioned above -- a little too crowded. Other than that, I thought it worked fine and was pretty fun. The elbow-hitting didn't actually ruin anything for me, but I can see how it very well would.

Crazy Taxi: my copy didn't come with a manual and I have no idea what the fuck is going here. There's a little window down to the left where you see the CT cab racing along a track, and the entire right side of the screen is covered with some CT gauges I have no idea what to do with. The rest of the screen is my ugly ass waving around trying to make the game do something. Maybe it's not finished?

Super Monkey Ball: It's SMB, with eyetoy! Up on top of the screen is you inside a circle with like degree gauges on both sides. Your left arm controls the left gauge and so on. Pulling them straight down makes the board tilt forward and rolls the ball fast. Then you have to trick around with this to make your ball roll over the field, just like in SMB. Again, not a bad idea, but terrible execution that's just a pain. This could, however, be because the room I'm playing in isn't lit enough for my whiny EyeToy.

I agree with aku:jiki, pretty much my impressions as well. But I didn't get Sonic to work on my copy...

Nights has potential. It reads where your arms are, so you stretch out both arms and "fly" to control Nights in a 3D worlds. It's nowhere near finished though so I don't know how it will work out.

VF is pretty fun, like a more detailed version of the Eye-Toy boxing.

If you're gonna defend crappy boxarts, try learning something about layouting. It's crap.
1. I'm not defending crappy boxart because it's not crappy.

2. If it's so crappy, I'd expect much more fuel from GAFers. Seems like the majority don't think it's crap.

3. I think I know a thing or 2 about "layouting" and don't find this to be obnoxious. I never said it was great but neither is it crap.

BuddyC

Hmm, good question. It was a rather long song, but I can't say I recognized it. I haven't played much Samba in my days, though. It wasn't among the licensed ones in the original game, anyway, sadly. It felt kind of dull. There's no song selection.
Now that's just plain disappointing.

Didn't check that out. I'll do that and check it out a little more, just for you!
Awesome, many thanks.

From what SiegfriedFM says, it sounds a bit like EyeToy: AntiGrav, so there's promise there, I guess...

MAZYORA

I'll bump with more impressions later then, but here are some from the round I did play:

Sonic: really confusing. You kinda run in lanes, sort of like the drag in NFSU, and you kinda do some...waving to make Sonic switch lanes. It's not a bad idea, but I didn't like how it worked out at all.

Samba: as mentioned above -- a little too crowded. Other than that, I thought it worked fine and was pretty fun. The elbow-hitting didn't actually ruin anything for me, but I can see how it very well would.

Crazy Taxi: my copy didn't come with a manual and I have no idea what the fuck is going here. There's a little window down to the left where you see the CT cab racing along a track, and the entire right side of the screen is covered with some CT gauges I have no idea what to do with. The rest of the screen is my ugly ass waving around trying to make the game do something. Maybe it's not finished?

Super Monkey Ball: It's SMB, with eyetoy! Up on top of the screen is you inside a circle with like degree gauges on both sides. Your left arm controls the left gauge and so on. Pulling them straight down makes the board tilt forward and rolls the ball fast. Then you have to trick around with this to make your ball roll over the field, just like in SMB. Again, not a bad idea, but terrible execution that's just a pain. This could, however, be because the room I'm playing in isn't lit enough for my whiny EyeToy.

How does Billy Hatcher play?

Sorry dudes, but I can't stand this busted copy of the game. I only managed to get runs in with these two specific requests before going nuts from having to reboot and wait through a loooonnnnnggg load-up sequence.

Unfortunately, both of the games are terribly unfinished.

Nights, as Siegfried said, is you flying around with two degree gauges up on top like in the SMB one. They work much better here, though, and flying was actually a pretty pleasant experience. Watch out if you're not very fit, because holding your arms straight out for a minute and a half was less pleasant. My copy's probably the same as Sieg's though -- there was no point to this one. You just flew around and couldn't do anything.

Billy Hatcher, I had no idea what was going on in. You run around and roll eggs, and in the middle of the screen there are two handprint sprites. The sprites reacted when I waved my arms at them and it seemed to make Billy run, but that's about all I can tell you. :(

Top Bottom