• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to upgrade Megadrive / Genesis Steam game hub. Adds Mod Support!

Card Boy

Banned
Someone please tell me there's a shot at this coming to console.

mega-drive-ultimate-collection-box.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, can Taxman mod S&K3 to have an unofficial definitive version?

Miker

Outta nowhere!

Wonder what filters and stuff it'll have - the video showed CRT curvature (cool, if used sparingly) with a crappy filter (boo!).

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh shit, can Taxman mod S&K3 to have an unofficial definitive version?

well, the game is still bound by the constraints of the emulator

so things like widescreen support would be pretty much impossible

unless someone also modded the shit out of the emulator itself. But honestly, at that point, it'd be more work than just remaking the game entirely using his retro engine.

TimmiT

monetization of steam workshop is inevitable. If it extends to things like this... damn, it'd be an entirely new market.

That's such a big if though. It pretty much would be up to Sega. Perhaps if Sega could take a small cut of mod sales or something.
Perhaps if there wouldn't be a shitton of possible legal issues, and if Sega didn't have to pre-approve each monetized mod to make sure that nothing goes horribly wrong.

It's not just a big if, it's a pipe dream.

Krejlooc

Banned
Perhaps if there wouldn't be a shitton of possible legal issues, and if Sega didn't have to pre-approve each monetized mod to make sure that nothing goes horribly wrong.

It's not just a big if, it's a pipe dream.

These are issues that are dealt with in every modding community. Valve themselves deal with these very issues when they allow people to monetize mods of their own games (and sega is much bigger than valve).

It's not a pipe dream, there is already a working model of this in place.

Syril

Didn't they already try to monetize the Steam Workshop with Skyrim and receive huge backlash?

Not happening.
There were multiple issues with the paid Skyrim mods like with revenue split, but largely it was because Valve was completely unprepared to deal with the possibility of paid mods including material created by other authors. They tried again with premium versions of DOTA 2 custom maps and failed even harder because the map they were showcasing it with had tons of stuff taken from other mods (and in one case taken from World of Warcraft).

In short it's not the concept of paid mods that have been keeping this from working.

Huh, are Sonic titles not listed?

Also huh, these cannot be full rom hacks or else what prevents us from hacking one game into another, huh?
Just noticed this myself. Very disappointed if they don't eventually come to this upgraded version. What else is missing? Toe Jam and Earl games?

TimmiT

These are issues that are dealt with in every modding community. Valve themselves deal with these very issues when they allow people to monetize mods of their own games (and sega is much bigger than valve).

It's not a pipe dream, there is already a working model of this in place.
Think of how big the part of Sega Europe that's in charge of this is in comparison to Valve.

Also, Valve having made Steam Workshop gives them advantages other developers don't have. So far no other third party developer has successfully monetized mods on Steam Workshop.

VariantX

I need to find out If there's a PSIV hack that adds more sidequests and character npc's. The mark of a good game is when you get to the end while thinking there's 10-20 hours more game left

dity

There were multiple issues with the paid Skyrim mods like with revenue split, but largely it was because Valve was completely unprepared to deal with the possibility of paid mods including material created by other authors. They tried again with premium versions of DOTA 2 custom maps and failed even harder because the map they were showcasing it with had tons of stuff taken from other mods (and in one case taken from World of Warcraft).

In short it's not the concept of paid mods that have been keeping this from working.

Sounds exactly like the concept of paid mods keeping that monetisation model from working. You're silly to think that all the original creators would have theirs mods up there on Steam of their own accord. Can guarantee you some snortfart would upload it instead. So essentially Valve would run into the same exact problem - stolen work being uploaded.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy fuckin' shit. This is the one where they sold all the games on Amazon for like $2 a few years ago isn't it?

Holy shit, and you're telling me it's getting MOD SUPPORT!? WTF, my mind is blown. I guess I should go and redeem that Amazon code I bought then. :x

shaowebb

This is AWESOME! It never felt as good on PC as the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection did on console. Now I get that kind of smooth play plus MODS! I got one I definitely want to add...THE BEST MOD

Krejlooc

Banned
Sounds exactly like the concept of paid mods keeping that monetisation model from working. You're silly to think that all the original creators would have theirs mods up there on Steam of their own accord. Can guarantee you some snortfart would upload it instead. So essentially Valve would run into the same exact problem - stolen work being uploaded.

Oh man, if only we had a model out there for taking down monetized copyrighted material from websites that depend on user-uploaded content...

That's right. Perhaps the owners of the game will continue to sell the roms separately on Steam like they did with the old front-end/collection.

Perhaps.

But Toejam & Earl 4 is coming out in a few months anyways.

dity

Holy fuckin' shit. This is the one where they sold all the games on Amazon for like $2 a few years ago isn't it?

Holy shit, and you're telling me it's getting MOD SUPPORT!? WTF, my mind is blown. I guess I should go and redeem that Amazon code I bought then. :x
That's the one. I got most of it off of Amazon too, with the rest from a Steam Sale. Can't wait to be able to play them properly now.

Oh man, if only we had a model out there for taking down copyrighted material for websites that depend on user-uploaded content...
The mods aren't copyrighted.

RedToad64

The games listed in the OP are owned by Sega.

Sega does not own Toejam & Earl
As far as I am aware, SEGA does not own Treasure's games, yet they can be found on that list.

Toejam & Earl is currently part of Steam's Genesis Collection. You can buy and play it right now. Why is it not on the list then...?

Nice. Sega always seemed to be much cooler about the hacking/modding community than others.

Interesting that the Sonic games aren't there... Taxman PC ports would be nice.

Syril

Oh man, if only we had a model out there for taking down copyrighted material for websites that depend on user-uploaded content...
Of course then we have the opposite pitfall like on Youtube where there's a problem with fraudulent takedowns.

Krejlooc

Banned
As far as I am aware, SEGA foes not own Treasure's games, yet they can be found on that list.

Sega actually owns the IPs of the games treasure made for the genesis, like Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Heddy, etc.

Much like how they own Wonderboy, but not the game itself.

Krejlooc

Banned
Of course then we have the opposite pitfall like on Youtube where there's a problem with fraudulent takedowns.

The model isn't perfect, of course. But it works, and an entire industry has been built around it. Claiming the problem of stolen work being uploaded is insurmountable is silly when there has been a model that has worked for over a decade now.

Krejlooc

Banned
I didn't say the entirety of Sega Europe. I said the amount of people in charge of this. They're not going to have that many people deal with a glorified emulator.

A) we're not talking about a glorified emulator, we are talking about UGC.

B) how many people do you think they need to deal with UGC for a glorified emulator?

Krejlooc

Banned
You're arguing for the incredibly small possibility of Sega monetising romhacks.

You're not in a place to tell people that they're arguing in good faith.

If you're not interested in discussing this possibility then feel free to leave the conversation.

I'm thinking you don't know what "arguing in good faith" means if you think that applies to conversations about things you find far-fetched.

Zia

This is seriously the coolest fucking thing. Sega is so weird, most often for the wrong reasons, but stuff like this and the Dreamcast games receiving nice little updates on Steam either last year or the year before is so nice and unusual.

Krejlooc

Banned
A lot more people than Sega probably has working on this.

Probably not. Rom Hacking websites themselves self-police with just a handful of volunteers. It doesn't take more than one or two people to accomplish what is being discussed - essentially a cert process for small rom hacks, coupled with a dmca-style automatic take-down process for those who feel their work has been stolen.

Unison

Could you just change the header on any room to spoof a supported one and upload it to have it playable on there?

dity

So what you're saying is you can't connect the dots between the models because of an insignificant, tiny nitpick on your part?

I don't think you're interested in arguing in good faith, then.
Ok, so someone uploads a mod made a decade ago (like a lot of these mods). The modder has since left the community. Some random joe takes the mod he downloaded and uploads it to Steam Workshop and starts making money off of it. What now? The community knows they didn't make it and report it - all Sega can really do is take the reports at face value, or ignore them because there's no real way to legitimately verify if that user made that mod or not. Then Sega's got a niche audience of romhack players mad at them andpeople who didn't make mods potentially making money from them. It's lose-lose. It's not smart to monetize a pre-existing modding community.

TimmiT

Probably not. Rom Hacking websites themselves self-police with just a handful of volunteers. It doesn't take more than one or two people to accomplish what is being discussed - essentially a cert process for small rom hacks, coupled with a dcma-style automatic take-down process for those who feel their work has been stolen.
Being a part of a website that does rom hacking stuff: it's entirely different if it's monetised.

Krejlooc

Banned
Being a part of a website that does rom hacking stuff: it's entirely different if it's monetised.

It really isn't. we're discussing fundamentally the same process. Yes, the monetization aspect makes the issue more weighted, but the vetting process is not dissimilar. And we have working models already that deal with this.

GooeyHeat

Why do we all seem so sure that this will allow us to upload existing ROM hacks? I mean, games with Steam Workshop support usually also include a way to make the modifications. It's likely that this sort of thing would have its own mod tools, and the format of things might not be entirely compatible with current ROM hacking stuff.

Top Bottom