• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to upgrade Megadrive / Genesis Steam game hub. Adds Mod Support!

The success of Super Mario Maker made them wake up to the possibilities.
I guess it gives Sega of Europe something to do.
1kxmXRU.png

gelf

why dont i remember Virtua Fighter 2 being on the MD?!

I'm not even sure I want to look......

To me VF2 MD is cool in a technical curiosity kind of way. It was impressive they managed to make a downsized version of it for the platform with most of the huge moves lists intact and have it actually be playable. But I feel there is little reason they should be selling it today when they could be putting up arcade perfect ports instead.

This is absolutely the point where I think it becomes inexcusable to download the roms for these games when they deliver this good a package at a fair price. This is probably the best "virtual console" experience I've ever seen from anyone.

mark-san

Banned
"Sega to upgrade Megadrive / Genesis..."

Megadrive4k / Genesis4K confirmed!

Jokes aside, with this and the 3DS 3D Classics, Sega is truly showing awesome support for their VC releases.

jph139

New UI is cool AF

This change can handle SoR Remake?

Oh man, that'd be amazing. I'd love to "officially" have a copy of SoRR.

Honestly, this is super exciting in general. An easy, simple, unsketchy way to play romhacks is one of those things I never knew I needed.

Loona

gelf

Doubtful, AFAIK SoR Remake was made from scratch, at most using multiple assest from 3 different source games.

I wonder how hard it would be to modify SoR2 to make Shiva playable though... apparently there were plans to give him moves specific to Versus mode, so I wonder if they can be accessed in some way...

How hard is it to learn how to modify these games, considering the amount of Sonic mods out there?...

I'm fairly sure I've come across a playable Shiva mod for SOR2 before so chances are good for that I'd say. Edit: I guess anything on this page could be viable http://www.soronline.net/sor2_downloads.htm , I never really used steam workshop before though so I don't know if those mods using other companies IP or that nude Blaze mod would be allowed though lol.

SOR Remake yeah that's not a mod at all. We wont be seeing that unless someone is crazy and does a lot of work and manages to cram all of that into a new SOR3 mod.

Baleoce

Sega really are the only company in my opinion that respect emulation as a valid means of preservation. And not just that, but they actually enhance them in many cases.

VariantX

New UI is cool AF

This change can handle SoR Remake?

SoR Remake isn't a romhack at all. The only thing it takes from the original is the sprites, fonts for the scoreboard and such and some sound effects. The engine is all bombergames, the music is entirely composed of fan made remixes and some original tracks and SoR Remake is probably doing a ton of things in terms of visuals the genesis couldn't even dream of doing.

In light of this I bought up all the packs. It comes out to 75 cents a game, with only a small number of 'premium' games left out like Sonic. Totally reasonable. Been meaning to grab them up anyway and this is a cool move and worthy of support.

Altered Beast is still a beautiful, beautiful mess.

gelf

Sega really are the only company in my opinion that respect emulation as a valid means of preservation. And not just that, but they actually enhance them in many cases.
I'm not sure if its a case of them being the only company to value preservation or the only company that recognizes that emulation is legal and a cheap way to make a quick buck from their back catalogue. It probably also helps that the hardware being emulated is their own property so there's even less worry about legal implications. Either way I'm happy to get them.

Baleoce

I'm not sure if its a case of them being the only company to value preservation or the only company that recognizes that emulation is legal and a cheap way to make a quick buck from their back catalogue. It probably also helps that the hardware being emulated is their own property so there's even less worry about legal implications.

Yeah I agree with you on both fronts, it's more of a fortunate bi-product of their willingness to capitalise on their back catalogue, which is made easier by them having far less hoops to go through. But as for a quick buck is concerned, in my mind they've gone above and beyond what was expected of them in such ports like the 3D collection on 3DS, utilising the platform far better than Nintendo managed with regards to legacy games, and giving very good value for money at the same time. Between that, and now this latest news, I'm glad they're proving that they're willing to put effort into making their back catalogue a tempting proposition and not just spewing them out after they get the all clear like some others do.

SoR Remake isn't a romhack at all. The only thing it takes from the original is the sprites, fonts for the scoreboard and such and some sound effects. The engine is all bombergames, the music is entirely composed of fan made remixes and some original tracks and SoR Remake is probably doing a ton of things in terms of visuals the genesis couldn't even dream of doing.

But early versions were SoR3 engine or I making things up?

Dinjoralo

That 3D room looks like something for the Vive. They could recreate every bit of nostalgia from grabbing the games from the shelf to plugging them in to the console.

Nzyme32

So Sega, now that you're putting a little more love into PC... How about some Panzer Dragoon goodness?.... I can wait.

d5d11db502d0d15b098fd40568910479.jpg

It would be both hilarious and somewhat frustrating if they are actually following through with the improved PC support, but are doing so in chronological order. Won't see the likes of Panzer Dragoon or Vanquish for quite some time :p

This is roms done right, now I need to go fill my virtual shelf full of games.

Wish it had online virtual couch multiplayer though.

Tain

seriously though, not having VR support would be really disappointing. It would be ideal for the whole digital game shelf and customizable room thing.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The hack I'm looking forward to replaying is Sonic 1 - Return to the Origin. Start at the end of every stage of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, fighting the boss, and you go to where you would normally start.

Streets of Rage 3 with the Bare Knuckles 3 fixes will go a long way as well

Top Bottom