• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to whore out legendary franchises :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
From Sp0nG

Sega to license out massive IP to Western developers

We can reveal this morning that Sega is currently in the process of licensing out a massive range of its key intellectual properties, in some of the biggest news regarding the firm since the Sammy buy-out from earlier this year.

Sources at various development studios in the US and Europe have been privy to an invitation to tender for the rights to create updates to some of the biggest Sega franchises, though the full story is slightly more interesting.

One source told us, “Sega of America has pitched the concept of westernising these franchises. So the ITTs have been given solely to studios in the States and Europe. The idea is to broaden the appeal of some under-exploited IP or to achieve greater sales of certain franchises outside of Japan.”

The list of IP that has been designated for western third-party development reads as follows:

House of the Dead
NiGHTS
Golden Axe
Virtua Cop
Streets of Rage
Shinobi
Crazy Taxi
Altered Beast

Of the above, Sega designated House of the Dead as being the most important franchise. Golden Axe had the lowest priority. We can confirm that Travellers’ Tales is in talks with Sega right now concerning one of the firm’s franchises that is not listed above.

There are two more games on the list from Sega, making a total of ten. At time of press, these were not available to SPOnG.

Expect updates and a slew of outsourcing announcements from Sega as the months roll on.

Thoughts? May we see Daytona USA 2005 developed by say, Acclaim? :(

AniHawk

::prays, prays, PRAYS Spong is wrong::

Wait, this might actually be an improvement.

::prays, prays, PRAYS Spong is right::

old ish?

But Isamu... didn't you whore out (on ebay) your JSRF + SEGAGT disc for like $2 (final price) on ebay? :D Can't be that big a fan then.

Well.. might as well. IMO. Sega would only disappoint anyway

see:
Shemue Online
everything else out this gen (excluding DC + Monkey Ball)

I would love to be on the Streets of Rage design team. Well, there's something to like about each title, but the scrolling brawler genre seems to have the most room for improvement in my mind.

haha, I hope EA picks up NiGHTS and makes NiGHTS 182 with songs from everyone's favorite commercial pop-punk shitrockers.

AniHawk

TheGreenGiant said:
old ish?

But Isamu... didn't you whore out (on ebay) your JSRF + SEGAGT disc for like $2 (final price) on ebay? :D Can't be that big a fan then.

Well.. might as well. IMO. Sega would only disappoint anyway

see:
Shemue Online
everything else out this gen (excluding DC + Monkey Ball + PDO)

The only thing I'm worried about is NiGHTS.

AniHawk said:
The only thing I'm worried about is NiGHTS.

This is what strikes me as odd about this list. NiGHTS is hardly a prime candidate for westernising. A light-gun game as high priority over Shinobi and CT. Altered Beast being farmed out before the internally developed one is finished and if they are handing a western developer VC it's probably only to do a home port of VC3 a la Sumo Digital and OR2.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Drinky Crow said:
haha, I hope EA picks up NiGHTS and makes NiGHTS 182 with songs from everyone's favorite commercial pop-punk shitrockers.

:lol :lol :lol :lol Curse you if this comes true!!!

TheGreenGiant said:
old ish?

Busted and owned! :lol Hey, doesn't mean I'm not a hardcore fan but what can I say? Those games stunk :lol

ferricide

Drinky Crow said:
god that would be beautiful, and i like nights.

when it comes to sega, i almost want to see just how bad it can get, really.

snapty00

Banned
What I think is a wonder is that we've went from Sega having some of the very highest-profile, most-wanted franchises with some of the most solidarity ever to having some of the most fast-cash franchises that can be whored out to anyone who can make a quick buck with it.

Obviously, that's not true with all of its franchises, but still...it's a big damn change.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
they can mess with whatever they want. i still have my original copies of nights and christmas nights.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Well, since they're selling them to western developers I say Nintendo of America should buy some of that shit. :D

I don't think they are selling thier IPs. They are allowing western developers to produce games for them using thier once Japan only IPs.

aoi tsuki

House of the Dead is pretty much a no-brainer for a Western developer, and i'm actually excited to see if they take it from a B horror movie shooter to something much more haunting. Virtua Cop, which i'd imagine gets a more realistic edge compared to the current games, is another game i'd love to see.

Brannon

Streets of Rage

Because Sega somehow forgot the one game that went toe to toe with the legendary Final Fight in the past and not come out with a blackeye, I give them the finger. Let's see if somebody else can revive the legendary beast.

doncale

Banned
Daytona USA 3 / Daytona LIVE / Daytona USA 2005 will probably be, if it is not already, developed by Sega AM2 and/or Amusement Vision, and likely with some help from Genki

well, I hope so anyway...

isamu

doncale said:
Daytona USA 3 / Daytona LIVE / Daytona USA 2005 will probably be, if it is not already, developed by Sega AM2 and/or Amusement Vision, and likely with some help from Genki

well, I hope so anyway...

Yup. Well, I personally hope those properties go to SD instead of Genki.

evil ways

I'd love a remake/update to the original arcade Shinobi, with old school Joe Musashi, Ken Oh, and The Black Turtle helicopter.

Make it happen.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Drinky Crow said:

20021018l.gif

You will be held responsible.

Ranger X

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

If this news give me any chance to see a revival of this series, i'm all for it!! The other franchises mentionned can die or become shitty i won't really care.

Sega is worse-off than they were four years ago when they were still supporting the Dreamcast. It's just been downhill. Should've stuck with the DC Sega.

GigaDrive

Banned
I'd love a remake/update to the original arcade Shinobi, with old school Joe Musashi, Ken Oh, and The Black Turtle helicopter.

Make it happen.

yes please.

plus, the same for the original arcade Shadow Dancer (not the Genesis version) with the kewl wolf like dog.

I doubt that sega would have touched any of these franchises anyway, at least this way there is a chance of getting a decent sequel

Deg

Banned
SEGA are total idiots. They have wasted practically every single franchise they have ever made.

If Sega could go back and clear some things up I'd say first that they should've continued the Game Gear line and chucked the Nomad idea. Secondly skipped the 32X and focused on the Saturn. And most importantly never have abandoned the Dreamcast. People who wanted Sega to go third party clearly didn't understand the consequences of such a move. Just like people think Nintendo would retain all that magic they created over the years if they just suddenly went third party. Not going to happen.

Ranger X

evilromero said:
If Sega could go back and clear some things up I'd say first that they should've continued the Game Gear line and chucked the Nomad idea. Secondly skipped the 32X and focused on the Saturn. And most importantly never have abandoned the Dreamcast. People who wanted Sega to go third party clearly didn't understand the consequences of such a move. Just like people think Nintendo would retain all that magic they created over the years if they just suddenly went third party. Not going to happen.

Actually my thought was that if Sega stopped to lose it's time with hardware world and but this money into making games and only games they would get better. I was wrong. But it's not related to the fact they do hardware or not.
Nintendo could be great at games doing only that. Or could fail like Sega. It would never mean anything if they are doing hardware stuff or not.
I suppose Sega lacks vision/talent simply. They could have done SO MUCH MORE with Sonic, House of the Dead, Streets of Rage, Shinobi...

Top Bottom