• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Col. 2012 |OT| Streets Of Rage! Golden Axe! Monster World! Alex Kidd!

585280202cn7wd.jpg
Looking at this on my phone and so I can't tell - does it just stretch or is it really a wider background? Anyone??

Endo Punk

Downloaded Alex Kidd, Revenge of Shinobi which are my ALL TIME FAVOURITE games. Also got Monster World 4 because it looks interesting and heard good things. May download Super Hang On later.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I know the Master System II one is where he eats a hamburger instead of a rice ball. Not sure other than that.

This baffled me too. I first tried the Europe version since I had a PAL MS when I grew up, but it was so slow and shitty it felt almost unplayable to me. So I tried the MS II version, and that's the one I grew up with, even though I had the first version of the MS.

Tain

oh man, these menus. 1080p, and on my Japanese 360 it defaults to showing a Mega Drive and The Super Shinobi, MD cart shape and all.

this is a good start.

racerx77

Banned
Downloaded Alex Kidd, Revenge of Shinobi which are my ALL TIME FAVOURITE games. Also got Monster World 4 because it looks interesting and heard good things. May download Super Hang On later.

Err.. unless I am wrong, when you download that vintage collection, it already HAS super hang on

Endo Punk

I had a 6 game in 1 disc with my Sega system that included Super Hang on. I remember the game being frustrating but with a killer soundtrack. Should I buy the game?

Yeah. If you own both systems, get the 360 one because it's much cheaper.

I would glady pay 3x the price for Shinobi :D

I almost did this, but decided on PS3 due to d-pad. I'm not sure I'm going to buy every game at this point. Picked up MWIV so far. I'll buy another when I beat it!
Planning to go 360 but I'm also a but leary of the Xbox d-pad. However, we're not exactly talking about Super Meat Boy precision needed for these titles so I think it will be fine. And I also have the drumpad in case I actually do need a real d-pad for any of these. Would be interested to hear impressions from 360 players on this.

Planning to go 360 but I'm also a but leary of the Xbox d-pad. However, we're not exactly talking about Super Meat Boy precision needed for these titles so I think it will be fine. And I also have the drumpad in case I actually do need a real d-pad for any of these. Would be interested to hear impressions from 360 players on this.

I have no problems playing on 360.

DarkCloud

Using a fightpad here...best 10$ purchase I ever made. And thanks to these ports not being shit I can set them up exactly as they would've played on an actual genesis 6 button pad (though only tried MWIV atm which is a 3 button game.

Will be buying the next two batches as well...anything that may get me a sega ages style release for Phantasy Star Collection I'm all for it. (Doesn't hurt that the emulation is worth supporting even if some of the games may not be:Golden Axe III)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Then why, oh why, did they shut down Streets of Rage Remake?

The dude behind the Sonic CD port had the sense to keep his shit under wraps and make an official proposal to Sega, as opposed to SORR which just spewed out onto the internet with no (well, not much) warning.

I doubt Sega could have officially released it anyway, could they? I don't know about any of the legalities surrounding OpenBOR games, especially ones with new assets.

Ok just bought alex kidd. In the options theres a setting called 'game version' and theres north america, master system II, europe and japan. Anything differences with these?

The international versions have the buttons switched from the Japanese version, and Alex eats a hamburger on the map screen instead of a rice ball. I think that's it.

robot

Super Hang On is so awesome.

They did a great job with these collections. Nice amount of options, great presentation, and solid ports. Has anyone tried 3D yet, I noticed the option in Super Hang On.

Combichristoffersen

Jesus, thank God for savestates, or that forest level in Alex Kidd would've robbed me of all my lives (it was MUCH harder than I remember it being). Funnily enough it's much easier if you go about completing it via regular platform jumping than if you buy the motorbike at the beginning of the level.

Anyway, the trophy for losing all your lives in Janken's dungeon with less than $400 left, do you have to lose all your lives in the specific room Janken is in, or is it enough to lose them while you're in his castle? Also, to get down to less than $400, I guess you can just lose all your lives and do the continue trick until you're under $400, but how do you pull off the continue trick on PS3?

Picked up all the games on PSN besides Revenge of Shinobi. I'm not sure I'd like that one and nobody in this thread seems to be hyping it.

Hazanko

Banned
If you go into options for super hang on, set 3D to side by side. Use the cross eyed method and you can see it in 3D without a 3D tv.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Picked up all the games on PSN besides Revenge of Shinobi. I'm not sure I'd like that one and nobody in this thread seems to be hyping it.

Revenge of Shinobi/Super Shinobi is a lot of fun and has godlike music from Yuzo Koshiro.

Check out some Youtube videos if you're not sure. It's a shame this version no longer has Batman, Godzilla, and Rambo; I was really hoping M2 would hide the earliest version in the options menu.

I've been playing Revenge of Shinobi the most out of all them so far. The level design is so damn good. And that Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack.... Gotta turn up your speakers while you play man. Those trials are brutal though! I need to practice and re-memorize these levels again. Been too long.

Tain

oh my god, it's probably the best game across both collections. It's also one of the very very best games on its platform. It is entirely unskippable.

Umm...why can I not start the demos/trials for the X360 versions?? When I hit any button, it just goes to the purchase/main menu screen? I am just trying to decide if I want the PSN or X360 versions of these games.

ikaruga

Neo Member
Incidently tried out Dot by Dot and it does get rid of the minor tearing although I couldnt stretch the screen to my liking.

Scaled the size down to 720 and wbml runs like a dream with or without dot by dot.

Can I just say one of my favourite noises in any game is wonder boy in monsterland the sound of the coin jumping up and dropping..............

That's blocked here. That's why I asked - I should have been clearer, sorry. I appreciate the effort though. I don't suppose someone could copy and paste it? I want to pore over them in absurd detail and suggest better ones.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Amazing Score
Collect all the items and finish the game.
Mission Complete
Clear every stage.
Boat Cruise
Clear Stage 9 while on the Suisui Boat.
Copter Rider
Have a snack on the Petit-Copter!
Shameful
Lose rock-paper-scissors even while using a Telepathy Ball.
Petit-Copter
Enjoy a sky cruise in the Petit-Copter.
Rockin' the Bike
Ride through Stage 2 on the Sukopako Motorcycle.
Fists of Stone
Break 300 blocks with your fists.
Octopus Sushi
Defeat both giant octopi.
A Brush with Death
Outrun a ghost!
Tears of Regret
Run out of lives in Janken's dungeon with less than $400.
Good Vibrations
Freeze in fear from breaking a Skull Block.

Amazing Score
Collect all the items and finish the game.
Mission Complete
Clear every stage.
Boat Cruise
Clear Stage 9 while on the Suisui Boat.
Copter Rider
Have a snack on the Petit-Copter!
Shameful
Lose rock-paper-scissors even while using a Telepathy Ball.
Petit-Copter
Enjoy a sky cruise in the Petit-Copter.
Rockin' the Bike
Ride through Stage 2 on the Sukopako Motorcycle.
Fists of Stone
Break 300 blocks with your fists.
Octopus Sushi
Defeat both giant octopi.
A Brush with Death
Outrun a ghost!
Tears of Regret
Run out of lives in Janken's dungeon with less than $400.
Good Vibrations
Freeze in fear from breaking a Skull Block.

Mega-thanks! Those are actually pretty good! I love how some of them look simple on the surface, but are actually pretty tough (the boat and copter ones).

I would have added one for beating the forest stage while riding the bike, and one for finding the secret area
underneath the first octopus; kill it, then swim down into its "bowl" and press buttons 1 and 2 simultaneously. It's hard to pull off but worth it.

It's actually kind of a goal of mine to one day produce a remake of Miracle World, but I have no programming or art skills whatsoever!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The final boss in Wonderboy in Monster World is the worst.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The final boss in Wonderboy in Monster World is the worst.

-Make sure you've maxed out the heart meter (it's capped at 14 hearts, go explore the world for the remaining hearts if you need to, or
you can trade a charmstone for a heart in the secret shop on the bottom level of Purapril town
)

-Take a Super Potion, and don't use it until you're almost dead

-Abuse the crap out of Power magic during the second phase, as well as Thunder if the moving lasers are causing you trouble

Combichristoffersen

Anyway, the trophy for losing all your lives in Janken's dungeon with less than $400 left, do you have to lose all your lives in the specific room Janken is in, or is it enough to lose them while you're in his castle? Also, to get down to less than $400, I guess you can just lose all your lives and do the continue trick until you're under $400, but how do you pull off the continue trick on PS3?

Quoting myself here. Just finished the game, and it is indeed enough to run out of lives with less than $400 in Janken's castle, not in hos 'room'. The easiest way to go about this was IMO to make a save state when entering his castle. Proceed to the first flame enemy, and use that to lose all your lives. When the 'game over' screen appears, quickly hold up on the d-pad and mash the square button repeatedly to get a continue (I think you have to press square about 8 times). Rince and repeat until you have less than $400, and then get a 'game over' one final time for the trophy to pop. Then load your save and keep trudging through Janken's castle.

For the final boss, since he can be a bitch with those projectiles he starts flinging after the Janken match, just stand right next to him so that the projectiles will fly over you, and jump up and punch his head a few times.

And I have no idea how I ever managed to complete this game as a kid without savestates. It gets pretty damn hard towards the end of the game.

PS: Remember to pick up the signed letter in the blue castle, the one Alex's brother tells you about, if you want the trophy for finding all items (there's also a telepathy ball in the cave level and in said blue castle, and you'll need one of those too for the 'all items' trophy).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
-Make sure you've maxed out the heart meter (it's capped at 14 hearts, go explore the world for the remaining hearts if you need to, or
you can trade a charmstone for a heart in the secret shop on the bottom level of Purapril town
)

-Take a Super Potion, and don't use it until you're almost dead

-Abuse the crap out of Power magic during the second phase, as well as Thunder if the moving lasers are causing you trouble

Thanks. I was able to finish the game and I got all the trophies.

I'm playing Monster World IV now. Any impressions from GAFfers? The game aged well graphically though IMO.

I'm thinking about getting WB in Monsterland or Revenge of Shinobi. What can you guys recommend?

Galdelico

Incidently tried out Dot by Dot and it does get rid of the minor tearing although I couldnt stretch the screen to my liking.
Yeah, it's a fixed aspect ratio that emulates each game's screen size/resolution and I guess the original refresh rate as well: so if you play your games in Dot by Dot, you cannot stretch the screen (if you do that, you automatically switch to Manual).

With NeoGeo Station, for example, if you put side by side an early game such as Fatal Fury and a more recent one, as in Shock Troopers - both running Dot by Dot - you'll notice their screen size being slightly different.

Varshes

My wife doesn't play a lot of current games, but she loves Revenge of Shinobi something fierce. She also starts to swear a lot when playing, haha. Really impressed with these collections. I'm putting that classic-style controller to use finally.

ORGlel.jpg

My wife doesn't play a lot of current games, but she loves Revenge of Shinobi something fierce. She also starts to swear a lot when playing, haha. Really impressed with these collections. I'm putting that classic-style controller to use finally.

ORGlel.jpg

Dude... Please tell me where you got that controller! I hope it isn't an import... :( I would love to use that for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage next week!

That's the drumpad. It's essentially a connector to a "portable" rock band drum kit made by MadCatz. Not sure if they still sell it, but it was only $20 when I got mine. Took the above piece out and never even removed the rest of the set from the box! Best d-pad on 360 by a country mile. Wouldn't want to play Super Meat Boy with anything else.

Tain

Even at PS3 prices, you can get one of the greatest 2D action games ever made with ridiculously accurate emulation and extra challenges and all regions and shit for five dollars.

I mean, I would consider this a good deal even if the game was public domain.

Top Bottom