• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

Izk3v.jpg

Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom
Genre: Hack and Slash
Platforms: PS3, Wii

Release Dates:

Japan 7/29/2010
North America 10/12/2010
Europe 10/15/2010

Rating: T
CERO: B
PEGI: 16

Official Website:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara3/
http://www.samuraiheroes.com/

Overview via gamefaqs:

Featuring unique playable characters, as well as supporting generals who will make it easier to command and lead armies, players will see the battle from the perspective of each military commander with the ultimate goal of re-writing history to rule all of 16th century Japan. In the dynamic new "Hero's Story" mode, the player's decisions impact history with a redesigned story mode. Based on choices made by the player, new drama unfolds as friends become enemies, enemies become friends, and a new Sengoku story unfolds. Adding a new strategic element to the game, forces can fight for control/taking over of camps and ultimately entire battlefields.

Gameplay videos:

Ieyasu Tokugawa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FZfqfj4f8&feature=player_embedded
Mitsunari Ishida:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3TkeERnCDo&feature=player_embedded
Masamune Date:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04yqAGcNuU&feature=player_embedded
Yukimura Sanada:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3twIGDPR8E&feature=player_embedded#!

Basara 3 hype thread
Demo impressions

Reviews:

Gametrailers: 5.5
1UP: A-
IGN: 45

The important question: Tell me sir why would you(I) want to play this game if at all?

I'll quote a few lines of the 1UP review as to why the 10 of us find this fun.

1up said:
The first improvement is that everything is smoother. What that means is, for starters, the game stays around 60 frames per second -- an always-speedy display that most of the Warriors games have maintained

In Basara, the levels are usually kept at the same size -- a handful of camps with only short paths in between them, keeping the action steady.

Furthermore, it's just nicer to look at. Basara is much more influenced by anime, with younger, more stylized (in some cases, gender-switched) representations of great Japanese heroes like Yukimura Sanada or Ieyasu Tokugawa.

So, it's not that I'm saying that everybody needs to play Basara because it's such an awesome beat-em-up omigod -- if the relative drudgery of the Warriors games' breed of beat-em-up didn't do anything for you, this might not either. Rather, if you have played them, and felt disappointed or burned out over the years, it's well worth giving Basara a try. You, too, will recognize what's good.

AdawgDaFAB said:
There are a ton of guides / topics on KoeiWarriors made over the past few months since the game's Japanese release. Here are some useful links:

My Items / Materials and Story Path's Spreadsheets
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoKruCqo-JXNdHVYQzZUcXc0blJRSzM2WlMybHFweEE

My Translation Guide ( + Useful Tips)
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6719936/1/

Weapons Guide
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6727025/

Bodyguard / Allies Unlocking & Abilities Guide
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6725521/

Skill / Special Arts Guide (+ Character specific strategies)
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6730088/

Listing of the Special Conditions for Bonus EXP on each Stage:
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6719581/findpost/8685456/

Unlocking Guide:
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6718756/

Trophy / Titles Guide (Has lots of really useful general / gameplay info as well):
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6718839/

In short, it's fun to beat guys senseless & see the melodrama between these two unfold:

dLrxd.jpg

Thanks to Xater & AdawgDaFAB for sparking my Basara interest.

I've been playing on Normal with Tokugawa. I've heard hard gives you a real challenge but I want to enjoy the game then dive into it. 2 stages in thus far.

Yeah, hard can be really challenging if you aren't prepared and haven't leveled up / got good equipment / increased your stats.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Yeah, hard can be really challenging if you aren't prepared and haven't leveled up / got good equipment / increased your stats.

I applaud how the game gives you a powerful drop after 1 stage already.

ezekial45

Banned
Those sites that gave it bad reviews can suck it. I'm having a blast with this game.

I finished Ieyasu's campaign last night and just start Masamune's. So do you get one character every time you beat the game?

Mandoric

Banned
Another thing that not even the positive reviews touch on is that, if you do end up caring about the characters, there's a ton of plot branching going on; for the leads you're looking at 6-8 different campaigns, each of which with 2 or 3 unique battles. There's still a lot of reuse, sure, and you'll learn to loathe the Mogami clan, but you can easily play through a character on easy, normal, and hard, 9-10 battles each, and have played 20 separate scenarios.

ezekial45 said:
I finished Ieyasu's campaign last night and just start Masamune's. So do you get one character every time you beat the game?

All original characters and some unlocked characters or combos thereof unlock new characters, IIRC. Each time you beat the game, you also earn two special sigils, one unique to your character and one from a random pool; when you equip a particular set of four you get a unique effect (Masamune, for example, gets
perma-War Dance
)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEYASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

...Tokugawa's monologues are pretty dramatic.

Slackbladder said:
As someone who has played the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors games will I feel right at home with this game?

Very much so, if not more.

I love love love this game. I beat it with Ieyasu and the lady with the guns so far, both on normal. I'm going to hold off playing different paths with them until after I play with the other characters. This game completely took me by surprise. Can't wait to play more.

matmanx1

Lovin it so far! Thanks for the OT!

I also started with Ieyasu and he is definitely my style in terms of move set. Can't wait to get further in but unfortunately my work schedule is such that I don't know when I will see my next off day =( Hopefully my schedule will clear soon so I can spend some more time with Sengoku Basara!

ezekial45

Banned
Mandoric said:
All original characters and some unlocked characters or combos thereof unlock new characters, IIRC. Each time you beat the game, you also earn two special sigils, one unique to your character and one from a random pool; when you equip a particular set of four you get a unique effect (Masamune, for example, gets
perma-War Dance
)

Ok, thanks.

So, has there been any word on DLC characters? I'm noticing a ton of characters in the game, that look like they're playable, yet theres only 16 to play as.

Vhalyar

ezekial45 said:
So, has there been any word on DLC characters? I'm noticing a ton of characters in the game, that look like they're playable, yet theres only 16 to play as.
Capcom said no DLC. Whether they stick to their word though, who knows.

Been really enjoying this game, I've been burned on Dynasty Warriors and this is the perfect shot in the arm the genre needed. Sucks about the reviews that don't get it.

I'm wondering if anyone here has played the PSP version and if it would be worth importing? Would love to have something like this on the go.

Vrakanox

robut said:
Been really enjoying this game, I've been burned on Dynasty Warriors and this is the perfect shot in the arm the genre needed. Sucks about the reviews that don't get it.

Some of those reviews seem like they didn't play it and just assumed it was the same thing as dynasty warriors and gave it a low score :lol

VAIL

I must say it is a fine looking Wii game, runs nice and smooth too...having a total blast with it so far.

..pakbeka.. said:
how does Date's engrish work in the american version?
It doesn't.

I mean you can guess which words might have been meant to be engrish in the original version from what the characters say. But yeah its pretty much nonexistent

The voices are okay, but it's still a longshot to matching the japanese quality. I knew that they wouldn't even try to match Date's voice.

Said this in another thread but I prefer the English dubs waaaaay more than original Japanese for games like these.

It amps up the cheese, because are you guys really taking their dialogue seriously?

Mandoric

Banned
Discotheque said:
Said this in another thread but I prefer the English dubs waaaaay more than original Japanese for games like these.

It amps up the cheese, because are you guys really taking their dialogue seriously?

In this particular case, though, part the Japanese cast is already legendary for glorious cheesy English. :D

TreIII

minimumhippo said:
I'm wondering if anyone here has played the PSP version and if it would be worth importing? Would love to have something like this on the go.

The PSP game, Sengoku BASARA Battle Heroes, is not really a "true" BASARA experience. There's no "peon bashing" to be had, and it's actually more of a slower "Gundam vs. Gundam" type of game, with BASARA characters in it.

Unfortunately, it's a mixed bag, and you'd probably be better off buying Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT Plus, if you were going to seek a game of that style.

Tailzo

The game just shipped yesterday. I'll be able to play it in a week or so. From what i could tell of the demo, you can count me in in the group of 10+ that like the game :)

Xater

Thnaks for the OT Urban Scholar!

My gmae is being shipped to me right now. I hope I can start playing early next week. Is Date Masamune one of the starting characters? I would love to start out with him. Otherwise IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEYASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU will also do. ;)

Xater said:
Thnaks for the OT Urban Scholar!

My gmae is being shipped to me right now. I hope I can start playing early next week. Is Date Masamune one of the starting characters? I would love to start out with him. Otherwise IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEYASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU will also do. ;)

Unlocked from the start:
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Ishida Mitsunari
Date Masamune
Sanada Yukimura
Saika Magoichi
Kuroda Kanbei

Unlockable:
Tsuruhime: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with Tokugawa Ieyasu
Otani Yoshitsugu: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with Ishida Mitsunari
Maeda Keiji: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with Date Masamune
Fuuma Kotaro: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with Sanada Yukimura
Chosokabe Motochika: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with Saika Magoichi
Shimazu Yoshihiro: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with Kuroda Kanbei
Honda Tadakatsu: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with both Otani Yoshitsugu and Shimazu Yoshihiro
Mouri Motonari: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with both Chosokabe Motochika and Tsuruhime
Oichi: Beat Heroes' Story Mode once with both Maeda Keiji and Fuuma Kotaro

Oda Nobunaga:
In order to unlock him you have to first beat him on Oichi's alt path and then beat him again with any other character. He will ONLY show up after you have beaten a character's Heroes' Story at least once.

Oichi Red Route
Oichi Green Route -> Purple Ending
- During this route the last stage is Kobayakawa and Tenkai.
- Go to the left when Kobayakawa and Tenkai split up to follow Tenkai. Beating him will unlock the Honnoji stage. (Route becomes Purple).
- Beat Honnoji.

At this point, Honnoji gets unlocked for all the other characters. Look at their History (route map) and you will see a black extension at the end of one, or more, of the routes. Do that and you will get a choice to play Oichi's stage in reverse when you reach the end of the route. Do so and you will get Honnoji as the last stage right after it. Beat Honnoji to unlock Nobunaga.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Oh man. I haven't been into DW since DW4. And this looks like the perfect opportunity to get back into these type of games, especially since people have told me SB = DW but better.

I might as well post this here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoKruCqo-JXNdHVYQzZUcXc0blJRSzM2WlMybHFweEE&hl=en#gid=0

I made that (along with lots of help on translating stuff) for the Japanese version so the names could be off (I'll update it eventually when I get the US version and some time to play through it), but it should be a great help for making all the items and whatnot.

Also, three things I would recommend people to do as soon as possible when first playing the game is to play Kanbei, Yukimura, and Kotaro's Emaki Modes.

I believe Kanbei's gameplay will surprise most people at how fun he is to use (Tip: Do a roll to eliminate recovery frames after any of his moves and to eliminate startup frames from his normal combo), plus he unlocks one of the best stages in the game for his final stage of his main red path (Sekigahara Intrusion ... don't know if they renamed it for SB:SH). IMO, Sekigahara Intrusion is by far the best stage in the game for level grinding and trying to get high combos (can easily get 99,999 hits with certain characters here).

Yukimura because he unlocks Kotaro.

Kotaro because he unlocks Hattori Hanzo as a bodyguard. Hanzo is SUPER important for finding all Fugitives you can kill to permanently increase your stats.

Hattori Hanzo as a bodyguard has a fantastic ability which highly increases the rate of Fugitives appearing in a stage and shows on the map (purple symbol) where they are located. This only works when he is maxed out, his normal ability is just to make them appear more often.

In order to unlock Hattori Hanzo as a bodyguard you need to play Kotaro's Heroes' Story at least twice. The second time around his blue path will open up, which is what needs to be played to unlock Hanzo.

Blue Path:
Tsuruhime -> Chosokabe -> Ishida / Saika -> Tokugawa

Hanzo is unlocked after beating the Tokugawa stage.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Unlocked from the start:
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Ishida Mitsunari
Date Masamune
Sanada Yukimura
Saika Magoichi
Kuroda Kanbei

FUCK YES! :D

But I have to say that I also really enjoyed Ishida in the demo.

TreIII said:
The PSP game, Sengoku BASARA Battle Heroes, is not really a "true" BASARA experience. There's no "peon bashing" to be had, and it's actually more of a slower "Gundam vs. Gundam" type of game, with BASARA characters in it.

Unfortunately, it's a mixed bag, and you'd probably be better off buying Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT Plus, if you were going to seek a game of that style.

Awesome, thanks.

Flek

Banned
repost form the hype thread…didn´t know this thread whas up already:

Anyway got the game today and just finished story mode with the gun blazing chick (!?). Seems to be ok, but still feels kinda repetitive. I dont really feel the story to be honest, but i dont care about it either.

so please tell me guys - how to unlock the other chick charackters? (Oichi )

also - whas this game suposed to have online mp or something ?

Ashkeloth

Flek said:
repost form the hype thread…didn´t know this thread whas up already:

Anyway got the game today and just finished story mode with the gun blazing chick (!?). Seems to be ok, but still feels kinda repetitive. I dont really feel the story to be honest, but i dont care about it either.

so please tell me guys - how to unlock the other chick charackters? (Oichi )

also - whas this game suposed to have online mp or something ?

According to GameFAQs, in order to unlock Oichi, you have to finish the story mode with Kotaro Fuma and Keiji Maeda but to unlock Kotaro and Keiji, you have to complete it with Yukimura Sanada and Masamune Date.

As far as I know, this game was never intended to have online multiplayer and was always planned as a splitscreen only affair.

Also, I have a question of my own for anyone who knows the answer - Is there anyway to skip to specific parts of the story to fill in my missed routes, or do I literally have to play most of the story over again just to fill in 1/8 of a route?

Erigu

Flek said:
how to unlock the other chick charackters? (Oichi )
See above.

whas this game suposed to have online mp or something ?
Western sites said so. For some unknown reason (Capcom Japan never said anything about that).

Ashkeloth said:
Is there anyway to skip to specific parts of the story to fill in my missed routes, or do I literally have to play most of the story over again just to fill in 1/8 of a route?
The latter. Sorry.

Xater

Ashkeloth said:
As far as I know, this game was never intended to have online multiplayer and was always planned as a splitscreen only affair.

Nope at some point even Capcom Japan said they were doing online coop, but then it was silently dropped and never spoken of again.

Xater

Erigu said:
Do you have a link?

I think it was in an issue of Famitsu shortly after the game was announced. Like I said it was mentioned once and then never to be heard of again.

Erigu

'Dunno... I've been following FamiTsû's coverage of the game pretty closely, and I really don't remember anything about that... 'Can't find anything on their site either...

This really is pretty different from dynasty warriors. It's much more "directed" in it's stage design. Closer to final fight on the beatemup scale than a DW game, but with shortcuts and stuff.

thefil

I really enjoyed DW4 but was disappointed with SW1 and WO. Picked this up (PS3 ver) with my girlfriend for a couple hours last night and had a blast. Finally feels like someone did something with the formula.

Favourite things:
1) I like bizarre, over the top characters, what can I say?
2) The missions have some variety, at least in tone: rice theft, building a pathway, etc.
3) The regular enemies will attack, and there are multiple categories of strong regular baddies. They aren't super difficult to beat or anything, but they definitely mix up combat a bit.

So yeah, I really recommend this for people who aren't opposed to the DW formula but have been waiting for something different.

Tailzo said:
I just wanetd to say thanks for spreading the info about this game. I now think of basara each time I see your avatar. :)

Ha! Now I shall forever think of Ashley as being a huge BASARA fan :lol .

Urban Scholar said:
Tokugawa's eastern winds is quite beastly.

Is that his R2 attack that makes a giant Tokugawa crest on the ground? If so, then yes it is beastly! It is also the key to easily maxing out combos for him :lol .

For example, I recorded this a while back (sorry for the crappy quality, I don't have a cap card):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSi2JuwAQxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-ddNbQJkY

:D

Ieyasu's headbutt is really nasty too. Once you get that he can demolish bosses like nothing.

---

I got the game today. One thing I noticed was that there seems to be some more lag in loading the menu to change equipment and sometimes while playing a stage the game would stutter for a moment (co-op). This wasn't an issue with the Japanese version. It's not overly bad, just something I instantly noticed. My friend said he felt like the horse controls were tightened up, but I didn't play that stage so I can't weigh in on that one yet. If so however, it will be interesting to see what other little changes they made from SB3 to SB:SH.

Voices: I knew Kenshin would be horrible, but so far I've really liked the English dub. I watched my roommate start Ishida Mitsunari's story and I thought he was done very, very well. I watched him play the Saika stage and the Kobayakawa stage and I thought Maggie, Kingo, and Tenkai were all done great. Plus, how can you not love Lupin III as Kobayakawa!

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Ha! Now I shall forever think of Ashley as being a huge BASARA fan :lol .

Is that his R2 attack that makes a giant Tokugawa crest on the ground? If so, then yes it is beastly! It is also the key to easily maxing out combos for him :lol .

For example, I recorded this a while back (sorry for the crappy quality, I don't have a cap card):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSi2JuwAQxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-ddNbQJkY

:D

Ieyasu's headbutt is really nasty too. Once you get that he can demolish bosses like nothing.

---

I got the game today. One thing I noticed was that there seems to be some more lag in loading the menu to change equipment and sometimes while playing a stage the game would stutter for a moment (co-op). This wasn't an issue with the Japanese version.

Are you playing the Wii version again?

No, I been just playing the PS3 version since I got back to my apartment in August (although I did order the Wii version of SB:SH as well). I haven't touched the Wii version of SB:SH, and probably only will mess with it once the play as NPC ocarina codes gets ported to SB:SH :lol .

Another thing I forgot to mention is that in the Japanese version you started the game with only the lower 2 difficulties and unlocked the final one by beating someone's Emaki mode on the medium difficulty. In SB:SH it seems that all 3 are unlocked from the start.

Top Bottom