• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes |OT| of team Ieyasu vs. team Mitsunari

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Another thing I forgot to mention is that in the Japanese version you started the game with only the lower 2 difficulties and unlocked the final one by beating someone's Emaki mode on the medium difficulty. In SB:SH it seems that all 3 are unlocked from the start.

Also Japanese normal difficulty is easy in the western release.

Xater said:
Also Japanese normal difficulty is easy in the western release.

Thats just a name change to make it more "standardized", the actual difficulty is the same. US names are Easy, Normal, and Hard while Japanese names are Normal, Hard, Extreme.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Thats just a name change to make it more "standardized", the actual difficulty is the same. US names are Easy, Normal, and Hard while Japanese names are Normal, Hard, Extreme.

Still mean that the western normal is more difficult. ;)

I saw the Red Sun Gamer guys play through the game on normal in the Japanese version and they got the English trophy for playing through the game on easy.

Xater said:
Still mean that the western normal is more difficult. ;)

I saw the Red Sun Gamer guys play through the game on normal in the Japanese version and they got the English trophy for playing through the game on easy.

Yeah, the game's trophies unlock based on the language of the system. All the trophies I got in SB3 show up as SB:SH in my trophy list. This also means I will only get one set or trophies despite playing both SB3 and SB:SH.

oblo

Release has been pushed back two weeks at our store (Belgium), damn, was really looking forward to playing it with a friend this weekend...

Ashkeloth

Erigu said:
The latter. Sorry.

I was going to go off on a rant about how this is terrible game design, but doing some more investigating, it seems that you can get 100% without doing every single stage for every character, and the only reason why you would is for the fugitives hidden in each level.

So... yeah. this game's awesome.

Erigu

Ashkeloth said:
it seems that you can get 100% without doing every single stage for every character
Yep, you just need to reach each colored ending at least once.

and the only reason why you would is for the fugitives hidden in each level.
Even then... With Hattori Hanzô, you should be able to get all fugitives well before filling up those scenario charts.

Ashkeloth said:
I was going to go off on a rant about how this is terrible game design, but doing some more investigating, it seems that you can get 100% without doing every single stage for every character, and the only reason why you would is for the fugitives hidden in each level.

So... yeah. this game's awesome.

You can even do the fugitives in Quick Battles mode (can also do them on Easy difficulty).

---

Just realized, Capcom completely axed the history section with all the info on the Sengoku period instead of translating it (previously this was the selection on the main menu inbetween Gallery and Options).

Erigu

AdawgDaFAB said:
Just realized, Capcom completely axed the history section with all the info on the Sengoku period instead of translating it (previously this was the selection on the main menu inbetween Gallery and Options).
'Would be a shame if players actually learned something, wouldn't it?

Erigu said:
But you can still read the character's bios and marvel at how the translators pretend Shingen died.

Ha! How was that handled in SB3? Didn't they
imply he died in Yukimura's initial route but then the second route that opens up heavily involves Shingen
?

Erigu

AdawgDaFAB said:
Ha! How was that handled in SB3?
It never said anything about Shingen being dead. In fact, it was pretty clear the guy was still alive.
For some reason, the translators had fun replacing "illness" with "death" in those bios, and plainly removing sentences that explicitly said the guy was still alive.

My guess would be that they simply assumed Shingen was dead and started working on the translation with that in mind... only to eventually realize they were wrong. And they went "fuck it, we're not correcting our translation! we'll change the text instead!"
I mean, apart from that or some weird hatred for the character, I'm not sure what else could have happened, there...

ezekial45 said:
Moichi is bizarre. What causes you to switch between firearms?

3 of Maggie's Special arts are associated with the gun switches. Triangle = Shotgun, Forward+Triangle = Pistols, R1 / Square+Triangle = Toss granades, L1+Triangle = Automatic Rifle.

ezekial45 said:
Moichi is bizarre. What causes you to switch between firearms?
A lot of the stuff about how the characters play is really obscure. For me at least it was easy to figure her out because you can switch between at least 2 weapons right off the bat. While with Date its like you can't even play him right until you unlock the War Dance/Six Claws art, yeah I mean sure you get it after you use a Basara art (or whatever it is) but you don't really have enough time to mess around and realize that yeah you pretty much have to play Date with six swords at once.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:

That kinda sucks, but it's not like you can't find out pretty much everything about that period with the internet.

Sooo... Is there an easy way to see which paths you still need to complete for 100%? All I see is the "history" tab which doesn't tell you much as far as I can tell. I haven't poked around a lot but any help would be appreciated!

During a long day of work, I ran into someone getting the game. I had chance to talk to him and I think we geeked out for a good 5 minutes about the game. Felt good man

Why is Date beating me on his horse is there no way to beat him to the finish?

Erigu

Urban Scholar said:
He kinda/sorta waits for you during the race, so you should just try and keep up and use your Basara gauge right at the end.

Ashkeloth

minimumhippo said:
Sooo... Is there an easy way to see which paths you still need to complete for 100%? All I see is the "history" tab which doesn't tell you much as far as I can tell. I haven't poked around a lot but any help would be appreciated!

The history tab is pretty much all you get and need.

Each character has routes that are coloured based on the paths you take through the story. The initial one you complete for the first time with that character is the red route, then, upon completing that route, along with unlocking a new character/costume 2/etc. it most cases, it will tell you a new route is unlocked.

When you start another game with that character, all of the red levels you missed will be filled in on the chart (it also does the same when you complete other coloured routes. Reach blue ending = blue route filled in on chart etc.), and you'll also have an option of choosing a different battle at a decisive point in the war to go onto the other route. You'll know when you hit one of these points as it flashes on the screen in big letters (in the two cases I've encountered, it's been at the very first battle).

Note that all you need to actually do for 100% on a character is complete that characters individual coloured routes and not every single stage (i.e you just have to see the "Red Ending" and the "Blue Ending", but not do every single route available to you) and also to
Beat Nobunaga
in the hidden route that you will unlock for all characters upon completing Oichi's version of it.

Also of note - some characters seem to have more endings than others. Ieyasu has 4, whilst Mitsunari only has 2.

Urban Scholar said:

You may have already won this, but just in case you're as stupid as I am - After following the above advice, remember to hit the camp marker at the end of the race. It seems when Date hits a predetermined point, he just "wins", whilst you have to go a little further and actually hit the camp marker to make it yours. I initially thought the game was cheating since I got there first, but I just didn't think to hit the camp marker.

ElyrionX

Tried the demo. Not too bad but some questions:

1. How many more attacks do the characters get? In the demo, each character had four or five attacks each and spamming those got old really fast.

2. I was playing the sword dude's mission and halfway through some giant armoured knight came along which the game said I had to avoid. WTF is this? I tried running from him but eventually he caught up to me and made my life really difficult. What's up with that?

Xater

ElyrionX said:
2. I was playing the sword dude's mission and halfway through some giant armoured knight came along which the game said I had to avoid. WTF is this? I tried running from him but eventually he caught up to me and made my life really difficult. What's up with that?

Get better at running away and make use of the zip lines. When you reach a specific point of the level he will stop chasing you.

Flek

Banned
or just fight him … every time the game says "run away" iam just like naaah fuck that and kill them. brings extra points too!

ezekial45

Banned
Magoichi is pretty fun. She's a nice change of pace from the other characters.

Anyway, i hope this game sells well enough to get Capcom to release future Basara games in the US.

A Huge Battleship said:
After a lengthy diet of DW, this game's a real breath of fresh air. How many stages are there on your average story mode run?

Around 7 or 8. A few have less and some have more (notably Tsuruhime's 10 stage route). Also, the base defense stage that pops up is random except for a few situations (ex: Kanbei's red route) where it is part of the story.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ezekial45 said:
Magoichi is pretty fun. She's a nice change of pace from the other characters.

Anyway, i hope this game sells well enough to get Capcom to release future Basara games in the US.

It's still fucking bizarre that they made Magoichi a woman. Weirds me out.

So I cleared Tokugawa hero story twice it remains at 45%. Now would be a matter of myself going to other stages along the standard and alternate path? Also I prefer the story hype build with Tokugawa's alt path then his standard.

thetrin said:
It's still fucking bizarre that they made Magoichi a woman. Weirds me out.

If I'm not mistaken I think its more of a title then a name from the history.

Urban Scholar said:
So I cleared Tokugawa hero story twice it remains at 45%. Now would be a matter of myself going to other stages along the standard and alternate path? Also I prefer the story hype build with Tokugawa's alt path then his standard.

To get 100% all you need to do is beat all of a character's routes one time, including
defeating Nobunaga after unlocking the battle

Urban Scholar said:
If I'm not mistaken I think its more of a title then a name from the history.

You are correct. This isn't even the first game to have a female Magoichi either.

Erigu

Urban Scholar said:
So I cleared Tokugawa hero story twice it remains at 45%. Now would be a matter of myself going to other stages along the standard and alternate path?
Ieyasu has five different endings. Four of them (red, blue, green and purple) add up to 90%, and the fifth one (grey) fills up the last 10%. So yeah, for Ieyasu, 45% = two different endings (which aren't the grey one) reached.

TheApatheticOne said:
Does anyone know if you can unlock characters playing through the stories in co-op mode?

Do you just mean if you can play someone's story in co-op and still unlock characters? If so then yes, co-op doesn't change anything except EXP after the fight (the multiplier bonus gets cut in half when doing co-op to account for it being so much easier).

AdawgDaFAB said:
To get 100% all you need to do is beat all of a character's routes one time, including
defeating Nobunaga after unlocking the battle

Thanks again, sir.

Edit: Is the opening theme song of the game not part of the OST? I'm liking it more than I thought.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Around 7 or 8. A few have less and some have more (notably Tsuruhime's 10 stage route). Also, the base defense stage that pops up is random except for a few situations (ex: Kanbei's red route) where it is part of the story.
Thanks. I was about 5 stages into my first run and figured I still had a way to go, but lo and behold it was all over 3 stages later. Good thing too, considering the number of routes there are.

This game has one major problem.

There's too much to do. I keep looking at the character select screen and thinking 'I want to try that character, no but I want to max out that one, but I haven't tried that ones alternative route'.

Valcryst

Neo Member
Bought the game friday, and I can't get enough! I already finished story mode three times in 13 hours and I'm still at 7%!

The Good
- Smooth and frenetic action.
- Good graphics, not the best around but nice job Capcom!
- Great character and enemy desing as usual! And Ieyasu re-design too!
- Very good English voice acting.
- Many things to do. Ok, it's basically Story Mode, but there are a lot of stages, bodyguards and weapons to unlock, and Accessories/Materials to collect and forge. Oh, and alternate Story Mode routes too!
- The stages are quite various in terms of locations and structures.
- You start with just 6 characters, you have to unlock all the others.
- Female Magoichi, WTF!
- Kotaro Fuuma >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else
- A lot of new (and Nice) NPCs. Looking forward to have some of them playable.

The Bad
- TOO MANY SB2 playable characters became NPCs (Kenshin, Kasuga, Sasuke, Kojuurou :( , Ujimasa Hojo, Toshiie Maeda and Matsu...
- ...or were completely removed (Itsuki, Zabi, Nagamasa, Nouhime, Ranmaru, Shingen Takeda, Musashi Miyamoto and more).
- Mitsuhide Akechi became an anonymous "Zaki" Sub Zero-like NPC :|
- Game might result a bit "one button mashing" in the first playthroughs.
- No Japanese Voice Acting.
- Crappy alternate costumes (palette swap only, would have been nice to see other capcom characters' outfits).

The Ugly
- Box art, ugh.
- Trophies images :\

Will most likely be my new favourite Hack'n Slash title.
Looking forward to some good characters DLCs!

Xater

Die Squirrel Die said:
This game has one major problem.

There's too much to do. I keep looking at the character select screen and thinking 'I want to try that character, no but I want to max out that one, but I haven't tried that ones alternative route'.

I love games with alot of shit to do. So for me that is a plus. :D

Jinaar

Amazon.ca failed at shipping this game to me and then threaten to ship it end of this month! The horror! I had to submit a cancellation and purchase this from the huge shipment that EBGAMES got locally (Like 2-3 copies if lucky per store). Snagged one of the VERY few left in the city. Really looking forward to this tonight. :)

It has been awhile since I played a good hack and slash DW clone like this but I have a question

What happens to progress once you start switching characters? Does each character have thier own progress / level or can you pull whatever powerups / items / "loot" from one character to the next

Since the game seems focused on shorter story modes with you playing as multiple characters it seems like it would get boring after awhile if your leveling / progress keeps getting reset and how slow everything would be if your leveling 13 (or how ever many) characters

TreIII

HamPster PamPster said:
It has been awhile since I played a good hack and slash DW clone like this but I have a question

What happens to progress once you start switching characters? Does each character have thier own progress / level or can you pull whatever powerups / items / "loot" from one character to the next

Since the game seems focused on shorter story modes with you playing as multiple characters it seems like it would get boring after awhile if your leveling / progress keeps getting reset and how slow everything would be if your leveling 13 (or how ever many) characters

Whatever you earn basically roles over into every thing else. So, character levels stay from play to play, and whatever loot (which is not attached to weapons) is available for all characters to use.

TreIII

SapientWolf said:
Are you able to give orders in this game? Is there a rock/paper/scissors unit hierarchy like Guilty Gear 2?

Nope. This is more along the lines of arcade-style action here. The only way you fail a mission is if you fuck up and your character gets killed.

TreIII said:
Whatever you earn basically roles over into every thing else. So, character levels stay from play to play, and whatever loot (which is not attached to weapons) is available for all characters to use.

Actually it doesn't matter if it is attached to a weapon or not when moving from character to character.

Example: You are playing with Tokugawa Ieyasu and build 4 Golden Lions. You put 3 of them on his weapon. You finish Ieyasu's story and move on to Mitsunari. You can use all 4 of those Golden Lions for mitsunari, even tho 3 are currently equip on Ieyasu's weapon.

However, (this may be what you initially meant) the items stay on weapons of each individual character's weapons. Here is an example of what I mean:

Example: Again I'll use Ieyasu and 4 Golden Lions. Say you put 3 GLs on one of his weapons then you get a new weapon. If you go to put items on it you will only have 1 GL to equip (until you unequip the 3 from his other weapon).
Sidenote: The screen doesn't show it, but if you go to a weapon and press start, you can unequip all the items at once to make moving items from one weapon to another faster).

Lostconfused said:
Just cleared Honno-Ji on hard with Oichi. Man that was a bitch.

Love that stage ^__^. It can be pretty crazy the first time you play it, especially with slower moving characters. Once you learn the pattern of the "seal" appearances and where all the slingshot shortcuts are it gets easier.

Top Bottom